The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
quick

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by quick »

cheers... i am gonna do a tour around China and maybe one for a section on South East Asia... not sure what part to do on my own and what to do with tour...

I am going to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia, which part should i do the tour around?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Get the tour to Patpong Road
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

quick wrote:cheers... i am gonna do a tour around China and maybe one for a section on South East Asia... not sure what part to do on my own and what to do with tour...

I am going to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia, which part should i do the tour around?
Our Vietnam one was great, id recommend that one. 15 days, starts Saigon and goes up to Hanoi and Halong Bag. It misses Sapa, and also misses like Na Trang and the beachy places. And then you can do a Laos and Cambodia one together.

Maybe not need one for Thailand?? Its the place to be laid back and wateves imo 8)
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

fuck i need to travel.
two years between trips is far too long tbh.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Do a motorbike tour into the Central Highlands with the Dalat Easyriders in Vietnam.

Pretty exxy, but MAD!

Not a group tour though. One rider to person, usually in groups of one or two.

Will call soon promise!

!!!
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:
quick wrote:cheers... i am gonna do a tour around China and maybe one for a section on South East Asia... not sure what part to do on my own and what to do with tour...

Our Vietnam one was great, id recommend that one. 15 days, starts Saigon and goes up to Hanoi and Halong Bag. It misses Sapa, and also misses like Na Trang and the beachy places. And then you can do a Laos and Cambodia one together.

Maybe not need one for Thailand?? Its the place to be laid back and wateves imo 8)
Id say if you are thinking of tours at all, you might want to go through cambodia on one.
Cambodia is the least set up for whiteys and one of the more difficult to get around from my experience, plus there isnt like, LOADS of places to go through, so a tour will take you nicely through Siem Reip to see the Angkor temples, then to Phenon Penh to do obligatory genocide and markets, grand palace etc, and if your doing all those other countries, those are the main things youll want to see in Cambodia. (the coastal area is naice but not a patch on most of thailand islands etc)
Laos and combodia as sam said would be the go, could even do vietnam as part of the dame tour prolly.
thailand is mega easy and set up for the touristas, tours in thailand would be full of sunburnt creepy guys looking for 24 year old wives, and trustafarians who just finished high school imho.

;)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I found Cambodia pretty easy to navigate. Flew into Siem Reap and travelled South to Pnom Phem, and then ended up at the beaches. Go the happy pizzas ;)
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I want to go back to Thailand. :(
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Blaxter wrote:I found Cambodia pretty easy to navigate. Flew into Siem Reap and travelled South to Pnom Phem, and then ended up at the beaches. Go the happy pizzas ;)
i think all of SE asia is easy as fuck to navigate, I wouldnt go on a tour if you paid me tbh.
BUT out of those countries, Cambodia is the one id say would be trickiest for non backpacker type travellers, thats all.
(dont know which category you git into quickster, flashpacker???) ;)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ghetto kitty wrote:
Blaxter wrote:I found Cambodia pretty easy to navigate. Flew into Siem Reap and travelled South to Pnom Phem, and then ended up at the beaches. Go the happy pizzas ;)
i think all of SE asia is easy as fuck to navigate, I wouldnt go on a tour if you paid me tbh.
BUT out of those countries, Cambodia is the one id say would be trickiest for non backpacker type travellers, thats all.
(dont know which category you git into quickster, flashpacker???) ;)
I'm not the type who likes tours TBH. Although it was fun to let the Tuktuk driver takes us to crazy places that gave hime free fuel vouchers in negotiation for atking us around a few places that we did want to see in Bangkok.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hehehe i did that ONCE at the end of my stay after being warned by my friend who lives in bangers 'never get a tuktuk'
and my driver left me high and dry in some backwater when i refused to buy the crap 'jewels' he took me to go see so he could 'get fuel money'

i had a moment of oh noes, laughed out loud and walked off to find a nicer tuk tuk guy to take me back. :)
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

ghetto kitty wrote:hehehe i did that ONCE at the end of my stay after being warned by my friend who lives in bangers 'never get a tuktuk'
and my driver left me high and dry in some backwater when i refused to buy the crap 'jewels' he took me to go see so he could 'get fuel money'

i had a moment of oh noes, laughed out loud and walked off to find a nicer tuk tuk guy to take me back. :)
They get fuel vouchers just for taking you there I think. We got a 4 hour tour for nix.
Bit it is considered a scam and if you pay them decently its still cheaper than a taxi.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

They get fuel vouchers provided you at least make a show of looking round.

If you obviously crack the shits and stay there for 1 minute I think the places get annoyed.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

heh i made a show of looking at 3 places, but I didnt want to buy anything.

he cracked the shits, not me!

:lol:
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I wouldnt do Vietnam by tour. I went there a few years back and a friend is there now. It is very very easy to travel there. No hassles with language, easy to get a room, bus to the next town, and barter in the markets. never had a problem there with organising anything, and you can do all of it when you get there. they're very geared up for helping you spend your tourist dollar.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
witty_pseudonym

so i know it's not for ages, but i'm all excited and can't stop thinking about my little holiday next year. I've only got 18 days and don't want to feel like i'm rushing, but where in S.E. Asia is a must? Thinking Bangers to start and then missioning north or going to the islands. Maybe just stay in Thailand? Enough time to go to Cambodia? I really want to go to Angkor Wat. Maybe Borneo? I dunno...endless options tbh.

Flights are ridiculously cheap from KL...return to Southern India for $110 for fuck! :shock:

Inspire me!
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Looks like my next OS adventure is going to be to India in January! Spur of the moment plane booking yesterday. I'm sure it'll freak me right out, so I'm booking a stopover in HK on the way back. I know how that place works (and I'm looking forward to the shopping!!!)

Anyone flown Cathay Pacific before? They ok? My flight is booked with them.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

witty_pseudonym wrote:so i know it's not for ages, but i'm all excited and can't stop thinking about my little holiday next year. I've only got 18 days and don't want to feel like i'm rushing, but where in S.E. Asia is a must? Thinking Bangers to start and then missioning north or going to the islands. Maybe just stay in Thailand? Enough time to go to Cambodia? I really want to go to Angkor Wat. Maybe Borneo? I dunno...endless options tbh.

Flights are ridiculously cheap from KL...return to Southern India for $110 for fuck! :shock:

Inspire me!
18 days, id do bangers and then islands or up north to Chang Mai, if you really want to relax then dont try and cover too many countries.
angkor you can do in 3 days and fly right in, would highyl reccomend, but Borneo, not enough time tbh.

I can give you loads of specific tips, places to stay etc, just hit me up lady.
deviant

Post by deviant »

what's that website with the ultra cheap flights?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Air Asia ?
witty_pseudonym

yep. Air Asia had a mad sale...but finished on sunday.

thanks kitteh. will have to pick your brain closer to the dates me thinks. :)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah they have 'sales' all the time but just keep your eyes on it, trust me!

have def got some must do's for you once you work out your itinerary lady, but if you can fly right to Angkor and then back to thailand, I would do it.
When i did vietnam, cambodia and bangers in 3 weeks it was a massive adventure, but not much of a relaxo holiday!
and i was alone which made it harder in some ways, is you goin alone or with other/s?
witty_pseudonym

flying solo at this stage unless someone decides to tag along. definitely don't want to cram too much in, but don't want to spend two weeks on a beach either. flying in and out of angor would be wicked.

so much to think about. oh my how i love planning holidays! :D
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

no, but five days on the beach, where there is islands to visit and locals to hang out with is FUN and nessecary to wind down from office land imo!
got yourself a lonely planet thailand if thats the main place your going to be, that SE asai book of your brother's wasnt the best ref as too limited info on each place.
I can tell you everything you need to know about Angkor and Seim Reip, omg BEST place to stay there, was a tip from Gnat...
yay for passing on traveller knowledge that you trust. (some backpackers i met told me to go to this place in Phenom Penh and i got stuck there in a monsoon, and i could hear the cries of children being raped that how bad the vibes there was, not all tips are good tips! )
deviant

Post by deviant »

nah, I'm sure someone (witty(?)) posted it here a while back, but I can't find it... was an aussie site? (I think).. I'm pretty sure it wasn't an airline specific site.
witty_pseudonym

wicked kitty. look forward to hearing some suggestions! :D

and deviant...might have been adioso.com? wicked site recommended by stray. ;)
deviant

Post by deviant »

that's teh one!

cheers
quick

Post by quick »

best site for cheap flights is www.dohop.com its what my travel agent uses for random connecting flights and stuff... great range of airlines and easy to use site.

Tash... when u goin? I will be in SE Asia from mid March to Mid May...

Polecat... Cathay Pacific is fine, better that a lot of others, but not as good as Qantas or Singapore
witty_pseudonym

Will be there 13th - 31st May Quickalicious! :D

edit: fuck me flying from bangers to siem reap is expensive! definitely won't be able to afford that. :(
deviant

Post by deviant »

holy bajeezus!!

http://www.dohop.com/#a1=MEL&a2=BOM&d1=080210&d2=150310

$1200 return to mumbai

soooo tempting
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Wowsaz!

Really want to go back there at some point.
quick

Post by quick »

witty_pseudonym wrote:Will be there 13th - 31st May Quickalicious! :D

edit: fuck me flying from bangers to siem reap is expensive! definitely won't be able to afford that. :(
cool... i will almost definitely be in bangers 13-15, so you will obviously be starting there so we can party on there before you take off around Thailand (i can fill you in on cool spots as I will have just traveled the area for the 2 months prior) and I go off to Europe... YAY!!!!
deviant

Post by deviant »

that dohop site is amazing steve.....

grassy-arse arm-ego
deviant

Post by deviant »

anyone been to madagascar?

I just became interested in it for some reason.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

That site is amazing.

Bangkok return for $585 all inclusive?

WHAT?
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

madagascar price fail.... very expensive to get to...

cross that one off the list
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

quick wrote:Polecat... Cathay Pacific is fine, better that a lot of others, but not as good as Qantas or Singapore
I usually fly Qantas or Singapore as I get points with both, but I cant get the same ticket price to India with Singapore for the time I want to go. Qantas wouldnt come close I'd guess. Cathay it is...
Amick

Post by Amick »

fuck i need a holiday, but I think elective surgery is more important. FML.
quick

Post by quick »

Polecat wrote:
quick wrote:Polecat... Cathay Pacific is fine, better that a lot of others, but not as good as Qantas or Singapore
I usually fly Qantas or Singapore as I get points with both, but I cant get the same ticket price to India with Singapore for the time I want to go. Qantas wouldnt come close I'd guess. Cathay it is...
Qantas and Cathay are both on One World... same points program
gnat

Post by gnat »

ghetto kitty wrote:yay for passing on traveller knowledge that you trust. (some backpackers i met told me to go to this place in Phenom Penh and i got stuck there in a monsoon, and i could hear the cries of children being raped that how bad the vibes there was, not all tips are good tips! )
:shock: :o :o :shock: :o :shock:

:angry5: :angry4: !!

on the other hand good to hear of peeps travel plans- how EXCITING!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Quick - thanks for the heads up. great to know I can still claim some points on the trip :)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gnat wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:yay for passing on traveller knowledge that you trust. (some backpackers i met told me to go to this place in Phenom Penh and i got stuck there in a monsoon, and i could hear the cries of children being raped that how bad the vibes there was, not all tips are good tips! )
:shock: :o :o :shock: :o :shock:

:angry5: :angry4: !!

on the other hand good to hear of peeps travel plans- how EXCITING!
and i might add, i packed my shit as soon as monsoon was over and headed to a lovely guesthouse of gnat's reccomendation ,and stayed there the rest of my time in PP and loved it!

;)
quick

Post by quick »

Polecat wrote:Quick - thanks for the heads up. great to know I can still claim some points on the trip :)
we've helped each other in this thread :D

meow
gnat

Post by gnat »

we're going north in nov- two weeks of sun, surf, rainforest and relaxo

no o/s unfortunately this year but hearing other people's plans is exciting

next year we're bound for spain and portugal i reckon, or mexico/ cuba...

GK, i just sent another chick i know off to cambo too- should get a tourism kickback!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

totally gnat!

I still tell everyone who asks that Cambodia is my favorite destination ever.
witty_pseudonym

right. cambodia it is.
will be picking your brains in a couple of months ladies.
yay!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

youll love it tashma.

best food in SE Asia. Most lovely peoples anywhere, i think sure to the fact that they almost got wiped out, so its rare to see anyone over 50 years old, the economy is booming and the next gen have this 'live for the moment' mentality that translates to pure joy and huge smiles everywhere.

Plus, they need our tourist $ way more than say thailand does.
witty_pseudonym

wicked. sounds like everything i want from this trip.
food, people, relaxo, history and temples. yes yes!. :D
why does it have to be soooooo far away!?! :(
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Cos its a totally different world!

Its worth it!

;)
witty_pseudonym

the date, not the actual country. ;)