TEN YEARS OF NOTHING - not one fucking thing!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mrj

Re: THE THREAD ABOUT NOTHING!

Post by mrj »

almax wrote:
DBoy wrote:Actually Al I have two international speakers coming to this event, both of whom are in the business of creating opportunities for 3rd world communities to build their own capacity to create wealth. Not just an australian story mate.
DBoy wrote:using traditional market forces used to make wealth
Im interested in yours and others thoughts on how the 3rd world can be abolished? Seems like a pipe dream to me.
If 7 billion people all lived as we do in Western society how would resources cope with the demand?
traditional market forces dictate increased demand, increases price and lowers supply.
abolish the 3rd world? thats easy.

we can just rename it 2nd World version 2.0. Solved!!

also sorry to be a pedant, but yanno, I am, but Al you are not correct, traditionally increases in demand do result in increases in price in the short term, but in the medium term supply will increase in response (not decrease) as the higher price encourages suppliers to enter the market. thats how its presented in basic macro economic theory anyheew.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I agree with the gist of what Al is saying even if his economics is bad.
Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

mrj wrote: abolish the 3rd world? thats easy.

:lol:
mrj wrote:also sorry to be a pedant, but yanno, I am, but Al you are not correct, traditionally increases in demand do result in increases in price in the short term, but in the medium term supply will increase in response (not decrease) as the higher price encourages suppliers to enter the market. thats how its presented in basic macro economic theory anyheew.
not if said supply is a limited resource!
mrj

Post by mrj »

almax wrote:
mrj wrote: abolish the 3rd world? thats easy.

mrj wrote:also sorry to be a pedant, but yanno, I am, but Al you are not correct, traditionally increases in demand do result in increases in price in the short term, but in the medium term supply will increase in response (not decrease) as the higher price encourages suppliers to enter the market. thats how its presented in basic macro economic theory anyheew.
not if said supply is a limited resource!
by definiton all resources are limited. you said traditional market forces dictate x, but it doesn't, look up any analysis of said traditional market forces and you will find that increases in price result in increases in supply. this holds true with nearly any major finite resource you can think of which includes oil, gold, coal, food, yadda yadda yadda.

when demand goes up prices go up. when prices go up suppliers supply more to take advantage of the higher prices. this is because in a free market economy all firms are profit maximising.

in fact even when supply is very limited increases in demand will result in increases supply right up to the point at which supply is 0.

in pure basic macro economic terms anyways, obviously there are a million variants, but in pure market forces speak, the above holds true. Also this is based on all other things being equal, which assumes all market participants are rational and all firms are profit maximising.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
spazz

Post by spazz »

JAMESSSS wrote:I agree with the gist of what Al is saying even if his economics is bad.
:scr1pt:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

mrj wrote: this holds true with nearly any major finite resource you can think of which includes oil, gold, coal, food, yadda yadda yadda.
I thought we had bountiful stocks of yadda. oh the humanity
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

almax wrote:
DBoy wrote:Actually Al I have two international speakers coming to this event, both of whom are in the business of creating opportunities for 3rd world communities to build their own capacity to create wealth. Not just an australian story mate.
DBoy wrote:using traditional market forces used to make wealth
Im interested in yours and others thoughts on how the 3rd world can be abolished? Seems like a pipe dream to me.
If 7 billion people all lived as we do in Western society how would resources cope with the demand?
traditional market forces dictate increased demand, increases price and lowers supply.
Abolished is a big word - i prefer to talk in the post-modern term of making things 'more'
So i talk about contributing to build a 'more' just society or a 'more' equal distribution of wealth.
It is about the fluid nature of society, that things are always changing and the more people who contribute with honest intent to point things in a direction the greater the likelhood that when significant shifts occur that those will be the directions they go in.

I try to talk about this stuff with out sounding riotous, so please don't think i am preaching.

I honestly believe that if we all lived a little more like we cared about those around us we would see a significant shift. This is as simple as pressure in the work place to ensure that corporations do change their attitude to bottom line thinking - towards treating employees better and with due consideration to the fact that we NEED down time and that happiness has a value outside of economy. All the way through to suppliers we choose to operate and deal with. Because if EVERYONE or even 80% of people made a small change there would be a HUGE shift in things.
Talk? more like raising questions.

Im waiting for something significant before i invest my time into it, so far imo nothing seems to tackle the real problem and only tackles the symptoms. Im not going to bring up what i think is the real problem here, because i have in the past and i just get flamed, PM me and i'll remind you.
Oh - the old - waiting for someone else to do it. :teef:

The real problem is that people think that some magic solution is going to come along when really it is all the small things that count.
Im still struggling myself though, gotta help myself before im in a position to help others.
I believe these are one in the same - I know it has been in my life.

God, that did sound totally arrogant - oh well, im just putting it out there anyway.
Last edited by DBoy on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mecka

Post by mecka »

idealistic notions, no? pity about the inherent selfishness that resides in all human beings.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yes, but we are not all the same, with the same motivations. im with dboy.

Im on the side of the ever hopeful, ever optimistic, and failing that, just try to do the things in my life that perpetuate what i wish the rest of human nature would be better off doing.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

breaksRbest wrote:
mrj wrote: this holds true with nearly any major finite resource you can think of which includes oil, gold, coal, food, yadda yadda yadda.
I thought we had bountiful stocks of yadda. oh the humanity
total :lol:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

mecka wrote:idealistic notions, no? pity about the inherent selfishness that resides in all human beings.
Idealistic sure - but that is the point, we need to have ideals to point towards. If we all just role over and say 'fuk it we are fuked anyway, we are all evil, what is the point' then that will become the truth. I know you can not see the light from the dark where you stand, and if that is your plot you wear it well mate and do well to cope. But i am a believer in ideals, and positivity becoming positivity.

I believe in living with love in your heart. Sure, call me a hippy, call me soft, call me watever. It sounds ghey and I cringe when i say it, but it does make sense. And i will be the first to say it is not easy either - but why the fuk should it be.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Aye fair point. Each to their own.

My cynicism prevents me from embracing the notion that humanity as a group can change. Best I can hope for is that change will start with us and we can affect the next generation and so on until its simply a way of life not an active social change. Things as they stand right now will not turn over during our lifetimes.

As for living with love in your heart... nothing soft about it. Hopefully one day I will be able to think like that.
almax

Post by almax »

DBoy wrote:
Im waiting for something significant before i invest my time into it, so far imo nothing seems to tackle the real problem and only tackles the symptoms. Im not going to bring up what i think is the real problem here, because i have in the past and i just get flamed, PM me and i'll remind you.

The real problem is that people think that some magic solution is going to come along when really it is all the small things that count.
Perhaps this analogy will make better sense of where im coming from.
At Christmas time, sometimes i hardly spend any money on my family because i cant find anything that's suitable for them or that they need and i refuse to buy some christmas time marketing gimmick like the Jamie Oliver Flavour shaker or whatever is mass produced that christmas. So i will just buy them some wine and chocolate or whatever.

But when i stumble across something i know they need or want, i will spend as much as it takes to get it for them even though it may be outside of the budget i have set.

So yeah the little things like wine and chocolate count, but when you get the best present ever, its much more satisfying and worthwhile for both parties imo.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Morning beeps and squeeks
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Hey Kronz,

Too emo today?

Up for dumprings?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

almax wrote:
DBoy wrote:

Perhaps this analogy will make better sense of where im coming from.
At Christmas time, sometimes i hardly spend any money on my family because i cant find anything that's suitable for them or that they need and i refuse to buy some christmas time marketing gimmick like the Jamie Oliver Flavour shaker or whatever is mass produced that christmas. So i will just buy them some wine and chocolate or whatever.

But when i stumble across something i know they need or want, i will spend as much as it takes to get it for them even though it may be outside of the budget i have set.

So yeah the little things like wine and chocolate count, but when you get the best present ever, its much more satisfying and worthwhile for both parties imo.
Meanwhile Bob the Builder could not find anything he thought his family needed or wanted so he put his mind to work and made something for them - Bob is an entrepreneur.

Over the road Andy the Artist could not find anything he thought his family needed or wanted to he did some thinking and created something that he thought would mean something for each of those he loved - Andy is a creative spirit.

In the next street Pepe the Priest could not find anything he thought his family and closest so he decided to pray for them, a full rosary each – Pepe is delusional.

In a local caravan park Pete the paedophile was struggling to find any family or people who would even talk to him, let alone accept his ‘special gift’ which he so often offered around – Pete was a tormented soul.

On an internet forum somewhere in Eastern India Dee the Downloader had strayed completely from the point and was now making little or no sense at all – Dee was Demented.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Blaxter wrote:Hey Kronz,

Too emo today?

Up for dumprings?

Can smash next week.

Sisters birthday dinner tonight, circus party tomorrow and a big weekend of footy ahead.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

kronz wrote:
Blaxter wrote:Hey Kronz,

Too emo today?

Up for dumprings?

Can smash next week.

Sisters birthday dinner tonight, circus party tomorrow and a big weekend of footy ahead.
sounds good.

big weekend ahead all round me thinks.
will probably check out Laundry (RIP) and EVOL INTENT due to lack of Facebook
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

moaning guys...

love the humid grey rain out there today
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

hating today not sure why. meh.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Amick

Post by Amick »

*yawn*

what's crackin???
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Today is going quick. woke up early as hell. Got to work earlier than usual. Killing it today.
I think that I use to under rate sleep.
gnat

Post by gnat »

herroguyswhatdoing?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
mecka

Post by mecka »

HAY GUYS WHUTS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD
kronz

Post by kronz »

mecka wrote:HAY GUYS WHUTS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD

Nothing
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Amick

Post by Amick »

TGIF!!!!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yes sir.

ill second that.

im starting to think i has to change my morning dog walk route, as there is too many social/neighbourly obilgations, its now like 2am at a club i frequent!

i do like the tiny old lollipop man though.
Amick

Post by Amick »

take an mp3 player and power walk. :wink:
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

hells yes to friday! :D

good weekend ahead. i can feel it.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

grumph.
gnat

Post by gnat »

t000t t00t!!

oh haaaaaaaaaai friday i love you
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

this old ship ain't wat it used to be...

http://www.theage.com.au/national/gunto ... -fu29.html
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

DBoy wrote:this old ship ain't wat it used to be...

http://www.theage.com.au/national/gunto ... -fu29.html
Like I always say Psychiatrists are often more crazy than the patients they are meant to be treating. Wtf is up with that guy? Haha. That guy seems to have a bee in his bonnet!
witty_pseudonym

just posted the same in the news thread.
freeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaak!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Amick wrote:take an mp3 player and power walk. :wink:
having a hound dog renders that not an option.
Amick

Post by Amick »

ghetto kitty wrote:
hound dog's have an inbuilt mp3 player? sick!!! :P
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

happy its friday - weekend of chilling, music making and smoking dro. bless up.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Amick wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:
hound dog's have an inbuilt mp3 player? sick!!! :P

:tard:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Find
Random
Individuals
Drinking
And
Yahoo'ing
witty_pseudonym

can i yodel instead?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

You can yell if you want.
retzie

Post by retzie »

Hiya Melbs :wave:

I got told off at work today for my shoes being 'too distracting'. Apparently, the sound of me traipsing about the department is too evocative for the menfolk to concentrate. Poor dears :lol:. Whoever said I should dress more like a girl has a lot to answer for...
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
mecka

Post by mecka »

gnat

Post by gnat »

lol mecka. timely with the footy hysteria at this time of year too.

spring has landed! blue skies, blossoms and lots of happy dogs belting about princes park

needs more section 8 day party
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Big Ups D...I know this should be in the BU Thread...but being that this thread is really yer baby...

:D
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Ill second that!

yay for happiness all around!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Anyone seen the new Rammstein video? I won't link it because it's far from work safe, but if you've ever had a slight interest in seeing the band members have full sex with porno chicks (including cumshots), then check it out. I can't say I really recommend it, but it is a laff.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:smt006

Hai Olster :)

What a stunning day! Lol at my brother turning up on my doorstep unannounced this am. His Aspergers obsessions have never covered the whole 'letting people know what is going on' thing.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
mecka

Post by mecka »

Hope Ed is doin ok CIA!

catchups real soon.