Does anyone still buy vinyl?

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Jesse I

Re: Does anyone still buy vinyl?

Post by Jesse I »

cammo wrote:i was buying from stores but they closed down. guessing due to digi sales
central / hear now closed up. collectors stocks nothing i want, wax museum is dope but dont buy much hip hop these days , n i still pop by north side to grab random tunes
why would i get a store to order me a record n get charged 22 bucks when i can buy online n it costs me 13-14 bucks? n i buy alot so it adds up
oh yeah i only buy my reggae off jessie i
It's actually sad how many record shops have closed down in the last few years. Every shop I have ever sold records on consignment at has closed (Slap, Raoul, Cram, Hear Now). I was starting to think I was cursed, but it's really just a reflection of the times. My record business has suffered HEAPS in the last year especially, and doesn't really turn a profit anymore - I'm lucky to just break even on a shipment these days.

I still buy vinyl myself, but I'm a little more selective these days than I used to be. The fact is though, if you want to be a dancehall DJ in this age, you have to play digital formats as well as vinyl, otherwise you can't play 75% of the new Jamaican releases. It's a bit different on the roots reggae side of things, which is why I'm happy to see more "vinyl only" parties popping up lately.

Anyway, I just got a few hundred reggae & dancehall records in today, and have around 6000 titles for sale from all eras and styles of Jamaican music, so link up if you're interested in checking out my "shop" in Carlton. Most 7" singles $8 each...
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

deviant wrote:^^ It's not breaks, chris wont know it ;) :P
gaffa101 wrote:What i meant by this was the days of DJs going to record store to hear the tunes, chat to others aboyut the music. And walk form store to store.. It was a huge part of DJing and what made it very appealing. Being vinyl hunter and enthsist not being able to go anywhere for my vinyl now SUCKS!!!
I too miss going to stores... but as I'm playing more and more on traktor, it seams not worth even ordering online :?

meh, I'm in two minds about the whole thing... I hate burning CDs, but I also Hate setting up traktor.. .I've also found it to be unreliable, like at clubs with shitty decks... also, at mercat once I could not get behind the mixer to plug in cables :tard: had to use CDs which then limited me to old tunes as I haven't burnt all my latest ones.

pretty sucky, I'm actually not sure which direction to go in tbh.

Oh ha ha ha.. Dubstep records goes with out saying.. it was a sound that was pretty much only available on Vinyl when it first hit the clubs!

Do you count Sctatch or Serato as Vinyl? ( :banghead: )
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Sat 8 - Lounge Boat Party
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

+ Rock Like This BOAT PARTY/ Strawberry fields / TRIBE NYD

CITIZEN.COM FREE music:-
http://soundcloud.com/citizen-com/
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

gaffa101 wrote:Do you count Sctatch or Serato as Vinyl? ( :banghead: )
I play Serato 99% of the time these days and I do not consider it vinyl. Good tool to use that feels like vinyl, but it aint the same thing. Doesn't mean I dont love it completely.

Nobody listen to a thing Petey says. He told me he could play basketball, too.

:teef:
Extortion

Post by Extortion »

bonsai wrote:
man presses dubplates of old tunes for himself to play.

this is wrong on so many levels, but each to their own I guess. if yo have the facitilities....
how so?
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

obliveus wrote:
gaffa101 wrote:Nobody listen to a thing Petey says. He told me he could play basketball, too
I said could hahahahahaha
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Extortion wrote:
bonsai wrote:
man presses dubplates of old tunes for himself to play.

this is wrong on so many levels, but each to their own I guess. if yo have the facitilities....
how so?
wouldnt they have originally been pressed on wax if they are old tunes?
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm thinking of getting a control interface so I don't even have to use the control records... it's fun, but frought with problems. I don't really scratch while playing out anyway. that way I can rely on my set-up and just plug it straight into a mixer. Hmmmmm
cammo

Post by cammo »

Jesse I wrote:
cammo wrote:i was buying from stores but they closed down. guessing due to digi sales
central / hear now closed up. collectors stocks nothing i want, wax museum is dope but dont buy much hip hop these days , n i still pop by north side to grab random tunes
why would i get a store to order me a record n get charged 22 bucks when i can buy online n it costs me 13-14 bucks? n i buy alot so it adds up
oh yeah i only buy my reggae off jessie i
It's actually sad how many record shops have closed down in the last few years. Every shop I have ever sold records on consignment at has closed (Slap, Raoul, Cram, Hear Now). I was starting to think I was cursed, but it's really just a reflection of the times. My record business has suffered HEAPS in the last year especially, and doesn't really turn a profit anymore - I'm lucky to just break even on a shipment these days.

I still buy vinyl myself, but I'm a little more selective these days than I used to be. The fact is though, if you want to be a dancehall DJ in this age, you have to play digital formats as well as vinyl, otherwise you can't play 75% of the new Jamaican releases. It's a bit different on the roots reggae side of things, which is why I'm happy to see more "vinyl only" parties popping up lately.

Anyway, I just got a few hundred reggae & dancehall records in today, and have around 6000 titles for sale from all eras and styles of Jamaican music, so link up if you're interested in checking out my "shop" in Carlton. Most 7" singles $8 each...
cheers man, have to catch up soon. need some more roots music for summer
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

deviant wrote:I'm thinking of getting a control interface so I don't even have to use the control records... it's fun, but frought with problems. I don't really scratch while playing out anyway. that way I can rely on my set-up and just plug it straight into a mixer. Hmmmmm
fraught with problems like there being decks at every club you play at, and only needing to carry two control vinyls at worst rather than a whole usb midi setup you'll have to clear out room for (as well as your laptop), invariably pissing off the people before and after you? :teef:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
deviant

Post by deviant »

hmm, yeah...

I've just had too many incidents where the records don't track etc etc... bad needles, bad decks... issues with plugging things in and the like..... I would never not have my CD wallet as a back up.. I would like to rectify this. I really don't know what to do that's 100% ideal
SDF1

Post by SDF1 »

Get one of those uber small knobby korg midi controllers. The ones designed to sit on a laptop. Then get a decent sound card that can do multiple outs.

Run your outs to up to 4 channels on the mixer. Use the mixer for mixing, use the midi knob for pitch control/looping etc.

Considering how much annoying farting around peeps have to go through with setting up their control vinyl outs and ins (given ur using traktor and everyone else seems to use serato), this solution wouldn't be any less frustrating.
No synthesizer too arpeggiated, no disco too italo.
http://www.messycreations.com
http://soundcloud.com/sdf1
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

deviant wrote:hmm, yeah...

I've just had too many incidents where the records don't track etc etc... bad needles, bad decks... issues with plugging things in and the like..... I would never not have my CD wallet as a back up.. I would like to rectify this. I really don't know what to do that's 100% ideal
Cant you get CD controllers for Traktor? I thought you could. CDJs are generally less likely to be fucked than the turntables in my experience.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
deviant

Post by deviant »

yeah true... I might give them a go soon... heard mixed reports
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

fooishbar wrote:you'll have to clear out room for (as well as your laptop), invariably pissing off the people before and after you? :teef:
are you suggesting this isn't the case for DJs have to play before or after computer (serato/FS) jockeys.. I can tell you right now there is nothing that makes me more aggro than some laptopper reaching over me pulling out his box while I am trying to drop intro tunes... have some courtesy, aye. :)
Upcoming....
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

deviant wrote:hmm, yeah...

play vinyl :teef:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Why not just play CDs Dan?
Don't hate me for house
SDF1

Post by SDF1 »

bonsai wrote:
fooishbar wrote:you'll have to clear out room for (as well as your laptop), invariably pissing off the people before and after you? :teef:
are you suggesting this isn't the case for DJs have to play before or after computer (serato/FS) jockeys.. I can tell you right now there is nothing that makes me more aggro than some laptopper reaching over me pulling out his box while I am trying to drop intro tunes... have some courtesy, aye. :)
Or the inverse, trying to progress in a set while a laptop jockey tries to rearrange all your inputs, making the arbitrary decision that you only need one cdj along the way.

:banghead:
No synthesizer too arpeggiated, no disco too italo.
http://www.messycreations.com
http://soundcloud.com/sdf1
mrj

Post by mrj »

deviant wrote:I'm thinking of getting a control interface so I don't even have to use the control records... it's fun, but frought with problems. I don't really scratch while playing out anyway. that way I can rely on my set-up and just plug it straight into a mixer. Hmmmmm
Native Instruments Kontrol X1 imo.

Was sposed to be released monday but has been delayed by a couple of weeks. Mine already on order.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i will have some vinyl for sale soon if any of you do still buy vinyl
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
deviant

Post by deviant »

JAMESSSS wrote:Why not just play CDs Dan?
I would have to spend a whole day of my life burning all the tunes for one thing... Hate burning CDs
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

The only time I would buy online is if I couldn't buy it in Australia. I actually enjoy going to record stores generally, if I don't get attitude.. I must say I do hate the attitude you get in a lot of independent record stores. But, otherwise, I love that they exist and don't mind paying a bit extra to ensure they do.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

huge wrote:i will have some vinyl for sale soon if any of you do still buy vinyl
SHOTGUN
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

tbh aslong as it is masterd with tubes it doesnt matter.

need that warm tube sound that you cant get anywhere else but from tubes.

you get me tho?
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

autumnleaves wrote:The only time I would buy online is if I couldn't buy it in Australia. I actually enjoy going to record stores generally, if I don't get attitude.. I must say I do hate the attitude you get in a lot of independent record stores. But, otherwise, I love that they exist and don't mind paying a bit extra to ensure they do.
like this? ;)

PHAT BEATS? armageddon on the streets. hahaha

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

:lol: love that scene
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Re: setup, etc

I've found serato to be easy as to setup and extremely dependable. Takes me 5 minutes or the length of a 7" a-side and i'm usually ready to go. Had a few issues but I always bring 7's, cd's and the serato cd's just in case. I'm always mindful of making sure the DJ before me is just about finished b4 before setting up too. Always give respect. Serato is just easy which is why I use it.

I think the real question should be, who's got the biggest vinyl collection?

:)
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

fooishbar wrote:
huge wrote:i will have some vinyl for sale soon if any of you do still buy vinyl
SHOTGUN
OVERRULED
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

obliveus wrote:Re: setup, etc

I've found serato to be easy as to setup and extremely dependable. Takes me 5 minutes or the length of a 7" a-side and i'm usually ready to go. Had a few issues but I always bring 7's, cd's and the serato cd's just in case. I'm always mindful of making sure the DJ before me is just about finished b4 before setting up too. Always give respect. Serato is just easy which is why I use it.

I think the real question should be, who's got the biggest vinyl collection?

:)
spinfx is teh win?
Upcoming....
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

I own about 15,000 7" singles... how does that compete?
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Working in a record store is cheating. ;)
Upcoming....
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

but what if your record "store" is actually your living room? ;)
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Jesse I wrote:but what if your record "store" is actually your living room? ;)
WIN imo.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Jesse wins. :lol:

But since we're on the subject, how many vinyl records do people own?

I'm on about 3,000. Plus, about 700 45's.

Would love to read this...

:D
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Close to 2k I THINK. Iv never counted them, as up until now iv never had the opportunity or space to have them all in the one room. Thats set to changed tho! Just purchased a new bookshelf that'll be housing them all. Now comes the fun part of categorizing them!
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

I have about 2650, loads of mixed genres.. mainly tech house, breaks and dnb though.
Upcoming....
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

How many records fit in a 13" x 13" Ikea Book shelf compartment.

I have 8.5 full - however many that is.

count night tonight.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

^ I'm using the same storage shelf! best ever!
Upcoming....
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ Yah - 100% perfect.

although mine has got a permanent lean in it now, so need to do something about that!!
nic

Post by nic »

^ this
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ Unpack, Turnaround and restack was last means.

have to do it again soon.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I got the same shelf and it's beyond packed full. Plus a few boxes laying about. Dont know what I'm going to do when my container comes in off the boat. Maybe sell a child and move em in there...or the wife and move em in my room.

:wink:
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

mad dig today
20 7"s
19 lps
$77

now for the discogs update.
shit
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Where does everyone shop for their Vinyl?
Physical shops only ;)

I love:
Wax Museum - for hiphop
Alley Tunes - prog/dnb/house/breaks/second hand shite.
and the one on Church st in brighton. I cant remember its name! MENTAL BLANK.
Amick

Post by Amick »

Savers and Dixons ftw
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

J0rdz wrote:and the one on Church st in brighton. I cant remember its name! MENTAL BLANK.
Mixed Bag!! haha
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Heartland for new (and some 2nd hand). Goldmine and Dave's Bazaar for 2nd hand but I don't get much time for digging these days so it's usually ebay or musicstack when I know what it is I'm after.

And then there's brunswick bound, of course ;)
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
mrj

Post by mrj »

J0rdz wrote:
J0rdz wrote:and the one on Church st in brighton. I cant remember its name! MENTAL BLANK.
Mixed Bag!! haha
Isn't Mixed Bag on Church St in Richmond and not Brigthon?
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ is mixed bag still there?

They've been there for ages if t is.
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

mrj wrote:
J0rdz wrote:
Mixed Bag!! haha
Isn't Mixed Bag on Church St in Richmond and not Brigthon?
Fuck. Thats how tired i was last night. Richmond is correct. lol
Baddums

Post by Baddums »

only really buying vinyl for samples these days. gotta move with the times... WAVs dont sound a good as wax but I want to be able to play all new music so Serato is the one.