iPhone.. zomg

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

Re: iPhone.. zomg

Post by deviant »

yep, Australia is the only place in the world where you have to pay for wifi at hotels :P

it should be free

worst case senario, if he wants to check it away from wifi, he can just flick data roaming back on momentarily.....

but beware, this is what I was doing... just flicking it back on only when I needed it.. I didn't do it that often at all (maybe 3-4 times)... As stated before $500 bill on return, so even the data you need when occaisionallly checking may be very expensive, especially if people are emailing attachments etc etc.
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Thank you so much guys!

i have learnt a fair bit about the old iPhone now!

So i have the settings as they need to be, and he will use the hotel wifi.

THANKS AGAIN!
mrj

Post by mrj »

upgraded to 4.0 last night.

still trying to work out how to make most of it, though I have barely had a play so I'm sure it will come.

one great feature I immediately noticed is the combined inbox on your email. it has an All Inboxes inbox that contains all your emails from your various accounts. Is sweet and good time saver.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I dun use the on board mail client anyways...

I still want to jailbreak again, as I miss SBSettings, Winterboard and iRealSMS, SSH, AVPlayer and MXtube tbh.. the new WIFI sync app also looks tres radical.

most of the tools only report to work on the Beta OS4, not prepared to try it on full release yet....

I have a problem with blank icons too... I installed a bunch of them on my last iPhone (for theming purposes) and now I've restored my new one with the old one's settings all the blank icons are still there (even without jailbreak :-/ ).... I delete them manually and they just re-appear (like 8 pages of them)... .pretty annoying.

I've looked into this and the only way I've found to get rid of them is to SSH into the phone and delete the contents of the "webclips" folder. Fucken, no good if you haven't jailbroken your phone. Anyone have any ideas how to stop this with a non-jailbroken phone?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i dont really know if there is much difference tbh.

it looks prettier and yes, you can sorta multitask in that if your using an app and your phone rings, it takes you back the the app when you hang up...not sure what else it really does though....

but the mail thing is actually really annoying for me as my work account is set to forward to my gmail so i now get ow copies of each - argh.
BUT - i do like that it makes things into threads!
however - how do i make mac mail program do that too? guys here have threads in their inbox but mine doesnt do that and i cant figure out how...
any ideas ppl that use mac mail?
deviant

Post by deviant »

just disconnect your work account from iPhone then you only get the forwarded copy.... I just use www.gmail.com in safari, it's HEAPS better than the inbuilt iphone email.

don't forget folders kitty, very handy..
retzie

Post by retzie »

GK, in Mail, go View > Organize by Thread. Dinnae use myself, but prolly does what you're after. Instead of forwarding at all, you could just run all accounts through Mail (on 'puter and phone)...?

Protip for travelling with iPhone: keep it in Airplane Mode, use only WiFi and bring a cheapy prepaid for calls/texts.
Don't worry, I still don't have one, but I get to observe mathematicians, who are some of the cheapest people on the planet!
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

dan - thats a good idea! will do that....and i dun know how to work out the folders thing....??

retzie - i have tried that, its there but not bold, as in you cant click on it... - WHY?
needs threads bad.....so many one line emails from promoters heheheh
deviant

Post by deviant »

folder... drag one icon and drop it on top of another.... hey presto, a folder is created.... It tries to guess what it going to be called, but you can rename it whatever you like.

retzie... iPhones need to be jailbroken and unlocked in order to use pre-paid sims (afaik).
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Don't think so Dan!
Don't hate me for house
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

deviant wrote:folder... drag one icon and drop it on top of another.... hey presto, a folder is created.... It tries to guess what it going to be called, but you can rename it whatever you like.

retzie... iPhones need to be jailbroken and unlocked in order to use pre-paid sims (afaik).
Wrong. Only if you're changing network.
retzie

Post by retzie »

deviant wrote:retzie... iPhones need to be jailbroken and unlocked in order to use pre-paid sims (afaik).
Ah, I meant bring a whole 'nother cheapy prepaid phone ;)

I dunno if it's just AT&T being kings of the complete arse-reaming bastards (very possible,) but that seriously seems to be the most workable solution for peeps here. Of course, yer schmancy iPhone becomes just an incredibly small and awkward laptop, but you can still use wifi and will be guaranteed there is no giant data or voice roaming bill waiting for you when you get back.
ghetto kitty wrote:retzie - i have tried that, its there but not bold, as in you cant click on it... - WHY?
Huh, odd. Although, having looked at it again, it will only thread messages in a given mailbox, (ie. in the Inbox, it'll just group mails you have received, not sent), so it may be too retarded to be worth investigating :?
spiral

Post by spiral »

deviant

Post by deviant »

andy_hoffman wrote:
deviant wrote:folder... drag one icon and drop it on top of another.... hey presto, a folder is created.... It tries to guess what it going to be called, but you can rename it whatever you like.

wouldn't you be changing network if you were going overseas?
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

deviant wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:

wouldn't you be changing network if you were going overseas?
i probably should have read the rest of the post :teef:
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
spiral

Post by spiral »

dont need to be jailbroken to be unlocked
optus unlocks your phone for free if you're going overseas
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

retzie wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:retzie - i have tried that, its there but not bold, as in you cant click on it... - WHY?
Huh, odd. Although, having looked at it again, it will only thread messages in a given mailbox, (ie. in the Inbox, it'll just group mails you have received, not sent), so it may be too retarded to be worth investigating :?
it just appeared! now threaded, maybe you worked some trans atlantic magic?

dan - yup worked that one out, nice one!
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

what are the advantages of OS4?
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

its pretty.

:)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

one other thing - is there any way to add words to ya dictionary/predictive text thingie so it knows words you commonly use?

for some reason mine now knows libertine....but does not know cunt.

any way to rectify?

:lol:
spiral

Post by spiral »

deviant wrote:O RLY
SRSLY had both iphones unlocked by them
prepaid sim from o2 when landed in uk
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

can't wait to get new iphone when back home :)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

ghetto kitty wrote:one other thing - is there any way to add words to ya dictionary/predictive text thingie so it knows words you commonly use?

for some reason mine now knows libertine....but does not know cunt.

any way to rectify?

I found if after a few rejections of the suggested word, it gerried. Have to click the cross tho as opposed to delete and re-typing. Tell you what mine WILL NOT stop changing - Me to Mr. Wtf? SIF mr would be more used than me. drives me bonkers.

I like the spelling correction underline in the upgrade. much better.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i hate it how it wants to spell Noe instead of now.

WHAT THE FUCK IS NOE????

witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

I'm all nervous about syncing my phone to a new computer because the laptop the phone was synced to originally was stolen. The dude at the Apple shop said to download Senuti and use that to back up, but i have no idea how to then get that onto iTunes then back onto my phone. CONFUSING!

THEN because i've had it unlocked so i can use the phone with a different sim overseas, I have to do a complete restore as well. Scurry.

I'm hopeless with this sort of thing and so nervous that i'm going to manage to delete all my contacts and applications. fucking technology...moreso fucking apple and their restrictions.

i guess there will be tutorials online. CBF. :tard:
deviant

Post by deviant »

If you sign into itunes with your usual account wouldn't that pick up all your apps etc?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

might do. no idea.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

It should do, yeah.

Witty, just so you know, when i updated my phone, i lost all my text messages as well and pictures that i hadnt transferred over to iphoto. i had all these old texts come back, but not the new ones. So if you make sure youve transferred all your phone stuff over and have no txts you wanna keep.

When i got a new phone, i plugged it into itunes and hey presto, was updated back as per my last backup.

What Dan said makes sense, its your itunes account it wants to be linked too... woudlnt know how to make sure tho.

Good luck!
nic

Post by nic »

what do people rtghink of the iphoine?
aroes

Post by aroes »

i think it's graet, but listening to my annoying co-worker bang on and on about it and also reading this thread has made me decide never to get one

tbh i just wanna be able to check bom.gov while i'm out
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

can do on android
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
nic

Post by nic »

i fucken hate people talking about how awsome iphone and apps are, its niot like u invented it you are just using it so GTFO - STFU and until you invent an iphoine u canrt talk about it
sPeCtRuM

Post by sPeCtRuM »

youthful_implants wrote:what are the advantages of OS4?
not a hell of a lot really. multi-tasking and grouping apps into folders is all thats really new for 3G/3GS iPhones. the multi-tasking feature is good between apps, but i would have thought for example when running Safari and any other app that the page on Safari would load in the background but it doesn't...just resumes loading when u go back to Safari. something i would have liked as a so called 'multi-tasking' feature...

oh and u can now have a wallpaper on your lock & home screen. woopty !
deviant

Post by deviant »

multi-tasking is jokes

backgrounder is way better...
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

multi-task my arse - such a jib.

Supercoach example. I have supercoach open and want to switch to safari to check if players are names this week.
Each time I switch back to Supercoach app it has to restart. That is not multi-tasking.
Joke.
deviant

Post by deviant »

some apps don't support it (like supercoach), but some do... the ones that do still don't really multi-task, they just pause themselves in the state they were in when they close (I'm guessing this is to conserve battery etc.)

some games are weird, I start the game and the character is just in the throws of dying, coz that's the point that I closed it down last.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

IOS 4 is mad. my 3G is running alot smoother and graphics look hot..

ok.. so I hear Optus will unlock iPhones if you tell them you going O/S...

Question.. Has anyone used an iPhone O/S? (in particular Japan?) Want to grab a SIM and use it over there (voice/data) ..
retzie

Post by retzie »

ADD_Boy wrote:Question.. Has anyone used an iPhone O/S? (in particular Japan?) Want to grab a SIM and use it over there (voice/data) ..
I vaguely remember hearing that prepaids in Japan are very difficult/impossible for travellers to get. I could have imagined it, but definitely check!
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

karlos/dan? did u guys take yours?
deviant

Post by deviant »

I didn't have an iPhone while in Jappers... but, I did use google maps etc on my ericsson w910i... had huge +$500 bill when I got home... bad news. Didn't attempt to buy pre-paid etc.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hmm do i take iphone to bali or not? also wondering...
if im on a buisness plan surely they will just absorb my high costs hahahah?
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm on a business plan... roaming is very exxy and it's not included in caps etc.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

um, but im on a buisness plan with all of libs, so we have like 10 phones on the same plan - same deal?
deviant

Post by deviant »

oh, I'm not on that deal....

pretty sure roaming wont be included though... better give them a call and check
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hmm will do.
Fents

Post by Fents »

i have a business plan with 8 phones for my employees and international roaming is defiantly not part of that.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ah yup, same story here....