bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
andy_hoffman

Re: bikes

Post by andy_hoffman »

aroes wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote: ride close to the edge of the road. Would be safer for cars to pass you this way don't you think?
And no, not necessarily. The general consensus among many riders is that in alot of situations (roundabouts are a good example), it's better to 'claim the lane' to discourage drivers from attempting to squeeze past, potentially side swiping you and running you off the road......this is the approach I was using, but this idiot thought she'd still try to thread the needle as it were, and it almost ended very badly

At the end of the day, I stand by the way I was riding 100%. I was adhering to the road rules and being respectful of those around me. She most definitely wasn't. She demonstrated impatience and extreme negligence
Yeah fair enough i guess ;) Glad she didn't f**k it up and injure you in the process!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

also, when traveling at speed - as aroes was, you need to leave a little room for error, so sticking hard to the left can be quite dangerous.
a little swerve and you're offroad, on 23mm tires, at 60kph.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Yeah i guess.. haven't ridden on thin tyres much myself. Used to love riding down the back road from Mt Donna Buang down towards healesville in the snow season when the road was blocked off to traffic. Could go as fast as you want and use as much of the road as you like. So fun!
...................................................................................................................................................
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

going 60 on a pushie is freak out worthy enough as it is without a car buzzing passed and horning you. argh. i'd be well away from the edge!
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
aroes

Post by aroes »

Anyone else doing Melburn Roobaix this year? I'm pretty amped for it, no doubt it'll be gags from go to woe

Just went and did some cobble recon.......Mile Ln in Parkville

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 43945&z=15

Pretty funny. Couldn't feel my arms by the end. Go do it on your road bike or fixie. Bare japery
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

never got to register. went to the first couple of times tho huhu.

ive done a bunch of cobbles on the fixie. complete japes as you said. huhuhu.

might need new wheels after mile lane.
quick

Post by quick »

Direkt wrote:
quick wrote:drivers of cars can be stupid... fact

riding a bike on the road is a risk... fact

this will never change... FACT

you make your choices lads. Dumb, stupid, drivers are always going to be there... you're playing with fire imo... but good luck to you

i spose what i'm saying is, you choose to take part in an excersise/activity/sport that has obvious risks... so unfortunately you will encounter these scenarios... end of the day, you are making this choice knowing that this is the case and this WONT change, so part and parcel innit...

i'm not havin a go at a good gripe, but the gripe is something you cant change, so what really is the problem?
That's just plain retarded logic.

So people shouldn't ride on the road because there's a risk that some fuckhead may be occupying the same piece of road as you on any given day? I'm sorry, but that's complete bullshit mate.

In following your logic, nobody should do anything - nor have any right to complain about anything, as there's risk involved with 99% of things we do.
re-read what i wrote... I never said anything like people should not take these risks... all i said was that the risks exist and to be aware of that when you choose to take part in the activity, and that wont change... thats the logic I used, can u fault that?

The point i was making was to try and have a healthier attitude towards it... a good gripe is necessary at times, for sure (as i said in my previous post, which is nothing like what you thought i said by your response) but to accept the fact that these risks exist before hand helps you deal with these scenarios before they happen... thats a bit of a psychology lesson for you ;)
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
aroes

Post by aroes »

edit- rant removed..............sigh, face palm etc

:tard:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Bikes are gay. Get a car FFS
quick

Post by quick »

debating online whilst drunk is way more fun than bikes thats for sure... :teefnilly:
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

so brought my old shogun metro for a service today. quoted around $230 for the usual - service, align wheels, brake pads, chain, etc.... the old major problem was the front wheel really, buckled and needed truing up so the brakes would work ok. seemed a bit too much just to get riding again.

really feel like this is a bit much . also thinking perhaps ive got to the point of good money after bad, feeling like it would be nice to upgrade instead...

thoughts team? is this a rip off? maybe I should just jump up to something more enjoyable? what can I get for around $600-700? don't need off road frills, just good experience for getting to work and back. I'm perhaps thinking a single speed but not for sure. no hills on the main ride from northcote really. my main thoughts are a bit of a lighter frame, and stronger rims that can take a little more punishment.
nic

Post by nic »

llooollls farrrrr toooo much for a 'sevice' imo - but depends if you need new chain/drivetrain tires/rim etc?

dunno i would ditch it - get a simple solid road bike
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

quick wrote:
Direkt wrote:
quick wrote:drivers of cars can be stupid... fact

riding a bike on the road is a risk... fact

this will never change... FACT

you make your choices lads. Dumb, stupid, drivers are always going to be there... you're playing with fire imo... but good luck to you

i spose what i'm saying is, you choose to take part in an excersise/activity/sport that has obvious risks... so unfortunately you will encounter these scenarios... end of the day, you are making this choice knowing that this is the case and this WONT change, so part and parcel innit...

i'm not havin a go at a good gripe, but the gripe is something you cant change, so what really is the problem?
That's just plain retarded logic.

So people shouldn't ride on the road because there's a risk that some fuckhead may be occupying the same piece of road as you on any given day? I'm sorry, but that's complete bullshit mate.

In following your logic, nobody should do anything - nor have any right to complain about anything, as there's risk involved with 99% of things we do.
re-read what i wrote... I never said anything like people should not take these risks... all i said was that the risks exist and to be aware of that when you choose to take part in the activity, and that wont change... thats the logic I used, can u fault that?

The point i was making was to try and have a healthier attitude towards it... a good gripe is necessary at times, for sure (as i said in my previous post, which is nothing like what you thought i said by your response) but to accept the fact that these risks exist before hand helps you deal with these scenarios before they happen... thats a bit of a psychology lesson for you ;)
Well, thank you for the psychology lesson, you grand old sage. :wink:

Have re-read what you wrote, it doesn't look like anything has changed.

Pretty sure we are all already aware that there are dickheads in cars on the road. You're stating the obvious.

I'm certainly not going to have a "healthy" attitude towards arseholes almost killing me/us. I have a healthy bit of self preservation instead, which sees me get pissed off by ignorant and arrogant road users who flirt with taking my life.

For the record, I don't do the bulk of my riding in built up areas - I ride on country roads. One of the reasons I do this is to minimise my risk of exposure to dangerous situations. And yet, I was hit by a car not even a month ago - and aroes had a dangerous situation on a country road only a week ago. We're doing all we can to avoid these idiots.

Sorry Mr. Quick, I think you're on your own with this one...
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

FoundationStepper wrote:so brought my old shogun metro for a service today. quoted around $230 for the usual - service, align wheels, brake pads, chain, etc.... the old major problem was the front wheel really, buckled and needed truing up so the brakes would work ok. seemed a bit too much just to get riding again.

really feel like this is a bit much . also thinking perhaps ive got to the point of good money after bad, feeling like it would be nice to upgrade instead...

thoughts team? is this a rip off? maybe I should just jump up to something more enjoyable? what can I get for around $600-700? don't need off road frills, just good experience for getting to work and back. I'm perhaps thinking a single speed but not for sure. no hills on the main ride from northcote really. my main thoughts are a bit of a lighter frame, and stronger rims that can take a little more punishment.
$230 does seem a little steep mate. Perhaps go for a second opinion.
lilstormer

Post by lilstormer »

Spend the extra dosh on a new ride I reckon. There are some pretty good commuter rides out there. I bought this one at the beginning of the year, good price ($650), lovely ride and looks good. First time for disc brakes for me and really loving the stopping power also.

http://www.bauerbikes.co.nz/suburban.html
Free to those that can afford it, very expensive to those that can't.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

FoundationStepper wrote:so brought my old shogun metro for a service today. quoted around $230 for the usual - service, align wheels, brake pads, chain, etc.... the old major problem was the front wheel really, buckled and needed truing up so the brakes would work ok. seemed a bit too much just to get riding again.

does that include parts? wheel truing is a right time consuming bastard of a job which is maybe why they're charging a bit.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

yeah with parts -
- 1 spoke
- 4 brake pads (although I'm not sure I really need them yet)
- drive chain

Then sorting out the font wheel etc

The parts and labour on those would have been about $190, or the option of about $225 for a service (go over everyingthing) plus the above. with the whole service the rest of the labour costs were reduced.

I just thought I could have done with the new chain (about 10 months old) and the front alignment TBH

Its not that I don't think its worth spending money on consumables to get the workhorse in order, but I've been getting nice bike envy and wondering whether I should just jump up to the next level.

what price point do yours start at huge?
quick

Post by quick »

Direkt wrote:Well, thank you for the psychology lesson, you grand old sage. :wink:

Pretty sure we are all already aware that there are dickheads in cars on the road. You're stating the obvious.

I'm certainly not going to have a "healthy" attitude towards arseholes almost killing me/us. I have a healthy bit of self preservation instead, which sees me get pissed off by ignorant and arrogant road users who flirt with taking my life.

For the record, I don't do the bulk of my riding in built up areas - I ride on country roads. One of the reasons I do this is to minimise my risk of exposure to dangerous situations. And yet, I was hit by a car not even a month ago - and aroes had a dangerous situation on a country road only a week ago. We're doing all we can to avoid these idiots.

if u re-read and think nothing has changed, do you still think I am saying you are not allowed to gripe and that you should just put up with dickheads on the road? cos that's not what i'm saying... you are missing my point mate... and i'm not going to state my point for the 3rd time...

lol, this like a getting an sms from a girl you like and reading too much into it...
nic

Post by nic »

direkt is a girl?
:tard:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

so you're saying cars for roads, bikes for tracks, and, er, horses for courses?
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

gophers for loafers?
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

bridges/threads for trolls?
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

quick wrote:
Direkt wrote:Well, thank you for the psychology lesson, you grand old sage. :wink:

if u re-read and think nothing has changed, do you still think I am saying you are not allowed to gripe and that you should just put up with dickheads on the road? cos that's not what i'm saying... you are missing my point mate... and i'm not going to state my point for the 3rd time...

lol, this like a getting an sms from a girl you like and reading too much into it...
actually, it's closer to reading a post and the intended point not coming across at all.

/back&forth
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

ok. it's time. i need a cheap ride. of the bike variety.
aroes

Post by aroes »

big split in the side wall of a week old tyre yesterday

not amused, had a day in the hills planned and only made it as far as high st in armadale......am defs gonna return the tyre to the online shop i bought it from, faulty imo

ah well.....limped it to bsc on elizabeth st, bought a new one and did a hot lap of yarra blvd instead. 6km time trial styles, leg death times infinity haha. got passed by this dude at about the 5km mark. i was pretty much deaded and he barely looked as though he was trying. cunt
flippo

Post by flippo »

aroes wrote:got passed by this dude at about the 5km mark. i was pretty much deaded and he barely looked as though he was trying. cunt
this is me every day hah
quick

Post by quick »

system wrote:
quick wrote:

actually, it's closer to reading a post and the intended point not coming across at all.

/back&forth
so it doesn't mean he will call me and that he likes me? :(
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

quick wrote:so it doesn't mean he will call me and that he likes me? :(
would you like us to assign someone to butter your muffin?
mrj

Post by mrj »

been getting a real hankering to get back into MTB lately. I think its the onset of a truly cold and wet winter, used to love dark winter days splashing around in the mud on some singletrack in the middla nowhere.

been over 10 years since I raced and tbh no desire to race again (espesh XC, not too fond of burning around a track and stopping occasionally to spew), but would love to get back out on the trails again.

mebbe a XC dual suspension type thing maybe somewhere in my immediate future I think
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

headwind all the way home tonight.

dead
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

yer just got home. fucking massive northerly.
flippo

Post by flippo »

Nearly got blown off the road coming over Wurundjeri Way bridge
nic

Post by nic »

rode home in rain
:(

45 mins no rainjacket and wearing jeans
gah

dead like the rest of u
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

lol. death.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

40k headwind over the sydney harbour bridge this morning. tough going!
mrj

Post by mrj »

pffffffft whatever you sooks.

i had the heater too high in my car this morning and it got a bit stuffy. A BIT STUFFY!!!

hows THAT for a bad commute.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

LOL
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

LOL mrj

idea! ping!

Hughbert - I reckon you should run a defence city bike riding course at the shop. You could have it every fortnight at 8am to 8:45am, so people have time to get to work. You could charge like $25 a session per person. You could cover the road rules for bike riders, and go over tips on how to navigate situations with examples by showing them using someone at the shop as the other rider and you showing what to do. You could hand out a handy pamphlet that had 'Need to know' stuff on it. I reckon it would be very popular plus good exposure for the shop.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Lizkins wrote:LOL mrj

idea! ping!

Hughbert - I reckon you should run a defence city bike riding course at the shop. You could have it every fortnight at 8am to 8:45am, so people have time to get to work. You could charge like $25 a session per person. You could cover the road rules for bike riders, and go over tips on how to navigate situations with examples by showing them using someone at the shop as the other rider and you showing what to do. You could hand out a handy pamphlet that had 'Need to know' stuff on it. I reckon it would be very popular plus good exposure for the shop.
Awesome idea.

I did one in Sydney, 6 week course from 6am - 7am, covers all aspects of ettiqute and technique. Great eye opener to get into riding and meet like minded people
aroes

Post by aroes »

just did melburn roobaix

was fun, would def do again......weather was pretty awesome, rain prob would've been more fun though for the extra carnage and lols
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Ha! awesome looking event - did you get pushed up a laneway by a spectator with a tattoo?

I got back in the saddle yesterday for the first time since BRW triathlon.

Pain.

Hills where not a good idea.
aroes

Post by aroes »

haha na made it through all the sectors on my own steam

some of the cobbled lanes in travancore are steep and long as buggery. mad fun

keep hitting those hills man, when i come to sydney i'll need a tour guide, hills are my favourite :slayer:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

had a gander at all the people pedling into the finish at the velodrome yesterday. some pretty lol people and some pretty rad bikes.
aroes

Post by aroes »

yeah there were some pretty hilarious rides

spotted a dude at the flemington rd roundabout and rode through town with him before the start.....was on a custom titanium mtb with 36inch wheels

that's right. 36inch. he doesn't get toe overlap, he gets KNEE overlap. fucking pisser. will post a photo when i get home
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Hello

Where can I get something like this (not not actually that, would like a custom one if possible) for my girlfriend?

Who sells these type of bikes?

Needs gears and basket.

That's right, gears and basket.
Don't hate me for house
aroes

Post by aroes »

pony bikes builds some nice custom mixte/ladies bikes.......decent frames are everywhere, just find one in the right size that hasn't been crashed, take it in there and i'm sure they'd be able to throw together something quite nice for you........ http://ponybikes.wordpress.com/

or maybe ask huge.....i was in at little mule a while ago and overheard his partner in crime telling a potential customer they are gonna start doing a little mule mixte frame
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Do you know what that type of frame with the nice slope on the bar actually called?
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Anyone dealt with these guys?

http://www.papillionaire.com.au/buy
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

deffo head to pony bikes james. better components than all those 300-500 jobs you find online.