Network HDD: help needed

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Direkt

Network HDD: help needed

Post by Direkt »

Hey everyone,

Some help needed if you would be so kind...

Ideally for my home network, I'd like a central HDD that keeps ALL our music, photos and movies etc on it - and we (my wife and I) can access the content over our established wireless network. That way I can stream or copy files from the central HDD to devices such as our MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, PS3 and iPhone. We already have AirFoil purchased - so we have the software, but can you purchase an external HDD that connects to the network, or do I need a dedicated computer (server?) for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.
unsoundbwoy

Re: Network HDD: help needed

Post by unsoundbwoy »

yeh should just be able to buy a hard drive enclosure with ethernet and plug into the router and go, i'm using sharedlink dns 320 on mac/pc from same network and its ok, not the fastest, should have buy something better than that.
i didn't use airfoil
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

thanks for your help mate. What is making your access to HDD slow? Is it a slow HDD, network issue etc?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Isn't Airfoil just for streaming audio?

You need NAS to do what you want.

Which could be an 'ethernet HDD', an array or a storage server. At the end of the day they are actually all the same thing really.

How much do you want to spend?
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I'd like to spend as little as possible, but not to sacrifice performance.

Our tech at work advised me to get a stand alone server with HDD's that will plug into our network via ethernet.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I use www.freenas.org

it's a free BSD server platform that does everything you could possibly need. Use an old $50 PC, put a gigabit ethernet card in it, boot it off a USB stick and add as many HDDs as you like. tres easy, there's heaps of walkthrough setup instructions floating around on the 'net too.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Buy an HP Microserver (dirt cheap atm).

Put 4 2TB drives in it.

Put another 4GB memory in it.

Install something (Freenas as above is OK).

Profit!
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

ideally you will want something that is super easy to use. freenas might be easy for some but not for others. go for a NAS that is a complete package like the synology diskstations or a Drobo mate. the software is dead simple and it will do everything you want. you can get them preloaded with drives and they have gigabit ethernet ports.

the purpose of a nas ultimately is to store your stuff, but the feature i would say is more important is the capacity to keep your stuff stored in the event of a catastrophic hard drive failure. so go for a 4 or 5 bay and have it configured to use 1 drive (or thereabouts) for redundancy (i have a 4 with 2tb drives which gives me 5.3tb). so if one hard drive dies you can just swap it out. lots of people go for the more space option and stripe their data across all the drives, but if one dies then you lose it all.

i have one of these loaded with drives it shouldnt cost you more than $700 and that will last you ages.

drobo is a good option too. http://nexus.com.au/myonlinestore/produ ... ts_id=7810
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

thank guys, I knew I'd get some solid help here. cheers.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i love drobo stuff. freenas is pretty capable but be prepared for a lot of pointless fucking around. drobo ain't the cheapest but it just works out of the box, and once you install some apps you can get music streaming, stream movies to your ps3/360, etc, etc. i'd definitely recommend it.

james: no sunfire? :(
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Poor Sun :(
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Woah I had no idea Synology was that cheap! Get that.
Don't hate me for house