bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
aroes

Re: bikes

Post by aroes »

"seen"
nic

Post by nic »

but hgive me 3 months and ill most liekly waste a unfortunate amount of cash on somethign to hang on my wall
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

who is on www.strava.com?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

is it any good? is it going to stay around?
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
aroes

Post by aroes »

Heaps of club racers and guys who take things seriously use it, has been around for a while as far as I know

Seems a decent way to compare times up popular climbs and such

Not my bag, I cannae be arsed riding with a computer, let alone uploading and studying data
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I like it - still only new to it though.

I was using Garmin connect previously, Strava makes it easier to compare how I'm going with friends.
aroes

Post by aroes »

I know some people have complained about poor tracking but hey, people complain about the same thing with Garmin computers and they cost a fortune....Strava is free!
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I'm using data from Garmin Edge 500 uploaded to Strava.

Others are using the strava app and others using mapmyride

interesting either way.

I could see myself getting slightly addicted....
nic

Post by nic »

my new ride zomg

92 fausto coppi frame, 2006 record, mavic cosmics
got to switch the saddle, get the cinelli zebra tape on (lol) and fix a bent chainring n get some shoes

then who wants to go riding?

Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Nice Nic

exxy?
nic

Post by nic »

not too bad - second hand, decent deal but ultimately more than i was thinking of spending :lol:
couldnt say no to the frame - all the new frames are hideously ugly chinese circus bikes afaik
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

niiiice. :)
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Doing this on the weekend, hopefully: http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/al ... mt-buller/

Will head out from Mansfield, attempt the climb, ride back. Going to be the most full on ride I've done. Wish me luck!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

nic wrote:not too bad - second hand, decent deal but ultimately more than i was thinking of spending :lol:
couldnt say no to the frame - all the new frames are hideously ugly chinese circus bikes afaik
pretty serious bike mate, didn't know you were riding much - nice - how much mate?

I LOVE my "hideously ugly Chinese circus bike".
spazz

Post by spazz »

Yeah nice frame that Nic.

Like the bling stand as well :kooislayer.:
nic

Post by nic »

not my stand lol :(

driekt - i ride it to the pub and siot in the window looking at it to make sure no one nicks it.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Direkt wrote:Doing this on the weekend, hopefully: http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/al ... mt-buller/

Will head out from Mansfield, attempt the climb, ride back. Going to be the most full on ride I've done. Wish me luck!

Epic!!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yep. Hopefully I survive.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

are you on Strava Spiesy?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

ive got my eye on a nice colnago frame nic i'll come for a ride with you when i get it (one)!!

did pat take his bike in? poor pat.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Nice bike. Defo keen for a ride, hit me up. Climbing in the hills or a hot lap round yarra bouly

Good luck with the ride Direkt! V jealous
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

anyone want to come for a spin in Sydney?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Feigan wrote:are you on Strava Spiesy?
Nah, still just using Garmin Connect mate. Is Strava good?

WTF? Not enough detail on the Strava site, but it looks too good to be true...
$278 for a year's subscription of Strava Premium AND a Garmin Forerunner 410!!! https://www.strava.com/register/run-bundle

That's crazy, I was looking at 410's on Wiggle yesterday, and they're $343!
Last edited by Direkt on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:Nice bike. Defo keen for a ride, hit me up. Climbing in the hills or a hot lap round yarra bouly

Good luck with the ride Direkt! V jealous
Cheers mate, I'll need it!

We should do a ride again soon.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Direkt wrote:
Feigan wrote:are you on Strava Spiesy?
Nah, still just using Garmin Connect mate. Is Strava good?

WTF? Not enough detail on the Strava site, but it looks too good to be true...
$278 for a year's subscription of Strava Premium AND a Garmin Forerunner 410!!! https://www.strava.com/register/run-bundle

That's crazy, I was looking at 410's on Wiggle yesterday, and they're $343!
I use the Garmin and upload to Strava & Connect. Strava is much better. comparisons on segments, puts you against your mates, gives you personal records on rides - good to keep you motivated.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Word. Did you just do the "free" sign up to Strava.

I so want a Forerunner to track my running data, particularly one with "virtual racer".
nic

Post by nic »

totes up for MBC group ride - iv not even taken teh coppi out yet :oops:
get that frame hugh - take to the hills - i expect road riding more tough than mtbing lol

did a tram track special last night at top of swanston where i got stuck, like a n00b, in the track, twisted bars 90 degrees / wheel straight and had a nice lie down in front on chinese retaurant. :oops: and walked home bleeding and dizzy then tried to get into my neighbours door accienbtally.

pats colnago is going to surrey hills to get rebent :(
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

jeebus lol. fecking tram tracks. bike ok?

surry hills!?
nic

Post by nic »

just loose headset and twist around
litle mule is solid - no bendys there afaik

how long till ur colnago then?
aroes

Post by aroes »

Do you have shoes yet nic? Yarra Bouly Sunday arvo suffer fest. 6km of pain. Do it

And yeah Direkt, hit me up next time you're keen for a spin.....Humevale/Kinglake is calling
nic

Post by nic »

no shoes yet - might have to go online as bike shops are total ripoff imo.
any recommendations?- the less spaceboot like the better....also not super cheap spakker boots or super expensive rollerblading boots san wheels.

might be able to shoe up if i order today
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Feigan wrote:anyone want to come for a spin in Sydney?
:wave:

where from and to?
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
aroes

Post by aroes »

nic wrote:no shoes yet - might have to go online as bike shops are total ripoff imo.
any recommendations?- the less spaceboot like the better....also not super cheap spakker boots or super expensive rollerblading boots san wheels.

Agree bike shops are expensive, shoes are one thing i prob wouldn't buy online though, wanna make sure you get a nice fit. Maybe at least try some on in a shop first

I've got sidi genius 5's, which seem to be a pretty common plain looking shoe. Comfortable, would buy again
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

system wrote:
Feigan wrote:anyone want to come for a spin in Sydney?
:wave:

where from and to?
Sash!

Weekly schedule is like this -

Tuesday AM - La Perouse circuit. Randwick loop. 5.15 departure
Friday AM - East Hills leave from randwick 5.15 departure
Saturday/Sunday - Cronulla or Kernell - Randwick departure for a 5.30 start

[email protected]

open to all other days too
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:And yeah Direkt, hit me up next time you're keen for a spin.....Humevale/Kinglake is calling
Sweet, will do.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:
nic wrote:no shoes yet - might have to go online as bike shops are total ripoff imo.

Agree bike shops are expensive, shoes are one thing i prob wouldn't buy online though, wanna make sure you get a nice fit. Maybe at least try some on in a shop first
Naughty.

Don't waste a LBS's time and then fuck off to buy online.

The doings of a true cunt, imho.

Most online stores (Wiggle etc) have pretty good sizing charts and advice, if you choose to go down that road.
nic

Post by nic »

:lol:

well i understand the LBS / online argument but when it comes down to it ill get whats cheapest and best for me lol i don't owe a shop anything and im certainly not going to spend extra money to get attitude from some elitist wanker has been / never was roadie in a shop!

anyway bought a bike from hugh at start of year and ordered a campy ring from lbs yesterday at extra expense so my defense rests lol tell me you wouldnt do the same!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

You say you understand the argument... do you? Your response doesn't really address my point.

I'm not saying you have to buy from a LBS. I just think it's rude to go into a local shop and waste the time and resources of a salesperson and store on advice, fitting, etc (which you claim you don't want to do anyway) - only to know full well that you'll end up purchasing online.

I don't work in retail, but I deal with retailers every day - and I feel their pain on this issue. And no, I have never taken advantage of them in this way, and never will.
nic

Post by nic »

Well Ill take advantage of them - its a shop, nyway ill prob buy a light or something when i try the shoes on anywa.
Its a fact of business / globalolsation / high AUD - one u see everyday

I get undercut by chinese, indian and polish workers with lower margins n costs than me everyday as well but i get return work by being nice (lol) and offering quick feedback better quality etc. itshow it works in 2012 afaik.

would u pay 100 aud more foir a pair of shoes for the priveliege of going to a shop - then most likely they will order them in and it will takje like 2 weeks!

(think we might need to disagree on this one - until the government steps in a makes LBS have stock / be nice / cheap prices)
Last edited by nic on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

we can get campy chainrings! :P
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

24 hour turn around! :teef:
nic

Post by nic »

:oops:

:teefnilly:
nic

Post by nic »

i still owe u for a lock tbh
in case u forgot - i just remembered
:oops:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i did! hah.

what lock is it? the vulcan ?

regarding local bike stores. retail in aus is massively shit. ive not looked into it as much as i should have probably so i dont know the root cause of the problem. i do know the problem is not the stores fault (well at least my store!), it lies somewhere between the source and the distributors.

when i started the shop i went to some distros to get on their systems and get some price lists etc, when i got them i was fairly shocked at the prices as most of them are still dearer than what you as a normal person can get online from ebay or a UK/US store (which aren't necessarily without a bricks a mortar store also). usually you will want to pretty much double what you are buying the items for when you sell them, but buying a campy group locally from a distributor at a few bucks short of what anyone else with a web browser could get them for from wiggle or chain reaction, then trying to sell that local RRP is impossible.

so then i went to the source. sugino, dia compe, brooks, tange, shimano/dura-ace and so on to see how we could go about acquiring stock directly from the factories. some were cooperative and some werent as we were not about to order 3000 sets of cranks or whatever. prices were ridiculously cheap, so i was cutting out the local distros and could be getting items for maybe a 15-20% of the price. just most of the time i would have to order a few grands worth for them to even talk to me.

So, local bike stores that only source locally (which i reckon would be still the majority) just cant compete. they rely on the small percentage of folks that dont want to buy online, or just want stuff right away. and it is a very small percentage i would think.

so i dont blame people for wanting to save a buck and go in for a try on then buy for half the price online. hell even i buy from ebay or milwaukee as it's bloody cheaper than here! the only reason i still buy locally is the fact we have hardly any stock on hand and i buy on demand a lot of the stuff like wheels and chains and tubes and tyres.

someone somewhere along the line is doing it wrong and im going to point my finger in the direction of some of the distributors but i am only going on what i learnt from going to the manufacturers and getting their prices.

anyway, dont know what that was in aid of really. haha.

come and buy a bike! huhu
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

nic wrote:Well Ill take advantage of them - its a shop, nyway ill prob buy a light or something when i try the shoes on anywa.
Its a fact of business / globalolsation / high AUD - one u see everyday

I get undercut by chinese, indian and polish workers with lower margins n costs than me everyday as well but i get return work by being nice (lol) and offering quick feedback better quality etc. itshow it works in 2012 afaik.

would u pay 100 aud more foir a pair of shoes for the priveliege of going to a shop - then most likely they will order them in and it will takje like 2 weeks!

(think we might need to disagree on this one - until the government steps in a makes LBS have stock / be nice / cheap prices)
Yep, it's a sad fact of business - also largely attributable to the "me me me" generation that couldn't give a toss about possible repercussions. Small picture shit.

We earn a decent wage in Australia, no surprise that our costs in operating businesses are also more expensive - particularly when paying someone to look after "customers" that never actually buy anything - plus loads of other overheads that local businesses cop, and the Government isn't helping...

I buy stuff online all the time... but I don't tie up a store person's time and resources before doing so... I'll enquire about a price and move on, if need be. I'm not being holier than though... it just pisses me off that nobody seems to give a shit about anybody else anymore.

Meh... the rant of an old man.

(PS: I'm not attacking you personally nic - this is more of an ongoing, general thing that I run up against daily).
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

huge wrote:i did! hah.

what lock is it? the vulcan ?

regarding local bike stores. retail in aus is massively shit. ive not looked into it as much as i should have probably so i dont know the root cause of the problem. i do know the problem is not the stores fault (well at least my store!), it lies somewhere between the source and the distributors.

when i started the shop i went to some distros to get on their systems and get some price lists etc, when i got them i was fairly shocked at the prices as most of them are still dearer than what you as a normal person can get online from ebay or a UK/US store (which aren't necessarily without a bricks a mortar store also). usually you will want to pretty much double what you are buying the items for when you sell them, but buying a campy group locally from a distributor at a few bucks short of what anyone else with a web browser could get them for from wiggle or chain reaction, then trying to sell that local RRP is impossible.

so then i went to the source. sugino, dia compe, brooks, tange, shimano/dura-ace and so on to see how we could go about acquiring stock directly from the factories. some were cooperative and some werent as we were not about to order 3000 sets of cranks or whatever. prices were ridiculously cheap, so i was cutting out the local distros and could be getting items for maybe a 15-20% of the price. just most of the time i would have to order a few grands worth for them to even talk to me.

So, local bike stores that only source locally (which i reckon would be still the majority) just cant compete. they rely on the small percentage of folks that dont want to buy online, or just want stuff right away. and it is a very small percentage i would think.

so i dont blame people for wanting to save a buck and go in for a try on then buy for half the price online. hell even i buy from ebay or milwaukee as it's bloody cheaper than here! the only reason i still buy locally is the fact we have hardly any stock on hand and i buy on demand a lot of the stuff like wheels and chains and tubes and tyres.

someone somewhere along the line is doing it wrong and im going to point my finger in the direction of some of the distributors but i am only going on what i learnt from going to the manufacturers and getting their prices.

anyway, dont know what that was in aid of really. haha.

come and buy a bike! huhu
Some interesting points, huge.

I work for a distributor.

Distributors in my industry and retailers make around 25-35% markup - which doesn't take into account any expenses incurred by the distributor. Naturally, in markets where the manufacturer sells direct to retailers (US/Europe/some of Asia), you can expect a discrepancy in this markup PLUS:
*The missing taxes and possible duties (that the importer/distributor ALWAYS bears - Government needs to step up here).
*The differences in costs of running a business in AU to US/UK etc (wages, banking, insurance, freight etc).

It's also worth noting that 9/10 times, the local distributor bears ALL the costs of warranty repairs. As well as tech support (where warranted), and putting a sales team, admin team, logistics/shipping team on the payroll.

I know US retailers can get by on profit margins of around 15-20%, because they're overheads are lower, and they have a massive marketplace that enables them to turnover shitloads.

Anyway... I like riding.... :D
nic

Post by nic »

was a Vulcan lock yeh lol
can repay next i see :oops:

good argumemst all around
nic

Post by nic »

went to LBS this morning direkt (didnt try on shoes tho lol)
deviant

Post by deviant »

I accidentally the whole way to work with no helmet, didn't even notice 'til I got here....

what a dick

:clap:
nic

Post by nic »

naught boy
this is a police state and fi9lth could of done u.