bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Direkt

Re: bikes

Post by Direkt »

nic wrote:went to LBS this morning direkt (didnt try on shoes tho lol)
:joy:
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Recommendations for road shoes.

SIDI looks the goods but exxy.

has anyone had Lake shoes before

Exustar, Diadora or Shimano any good?
nic

Post by nic »

yeh torpedo 7 had those sidi 5 a bit back but now gone :(
might just put mt mtb pedals and shoes on my road bike
:oops:

imagine the bullying :( :lol:
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Roller Blading Vs Skateboarding IMHO
nic

Post by nic »

FR00T B00T3
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Feigan wrote:Recommendations for road shoes.

SIDI are supposed to be the business, but yeah - expensive, and some of them are pretty garrish - which is surprising for an Italian shoe manufacturer.... :teefnilly:

I have some Shimano tri shoes, they're okay. Nice for summer, but FREEZING come winter, even with booties on.

Never heard of Exustar. Have heard of Diadora, but have not heard any reports on their bike shoes.

Lake are supposed to be good, from what I've heard - but not in the same league as SIDI.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Direkt wrote:
Feigan wrote:Recommendations for road shoes.

SIDI are supposed to be the business, but yeah - expensive, and some of them are pretty garrish - which is surprising for an Italian shoe manufacturer.... :teefnilly:

I have some Shimano tri shoes, they're okay. Nice for summer, but FREEZING come winter, even with booties on.

Never heard of Exustar. Have heard of Diadora, but have not heard any reports on their bike shoes.

Lake are supposed to be good, from what I've heard - but not in the same league as SIDI.
Thinking of these -- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lake-cx236c-road-shoes/
nic

Post by nic »

doesnt appear to be a LBS?
(edit - they look good - want teh blackies)
aroes

Post by aroes »

Interesting takes on the LBS vs online thing

I shop online heaps, but also have an exceptional relationship with my LBS. I bought my bike there, they know me by name and always give me ridiculously good markdowns (often more than half off) on stuff like tyres, tubes, c02, lube, bidons etc. They weren't born yesterday, and respect and understand the fact that I buy alot of stuff online. TBH if I walked in there tomorrow and told them I wanted to try on some SIDIs with a view to buying them online, I reckon they'd happily do it provided they weren't too busy. In fact I've done just that with a helmet in the past and they weren't the slightest bit phased. That's the way cycling retail's had to progress, and to my knowledge the shop I frequent isn't struggling at all to make a buck

A bit of honesty and transparency goes a long way. If the LBS can't compete with an online price, they tell me and I go buy it from Wiggle. They know I'll be back time and time again to give them more business. I get the best deal, they keep a long term regular customer. Win win
nic

Post by nic »

well i never a balanced viewpint
:lol:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:Interesting takes on the LBS vs online thing

I shop online heaps, but also have an exceptional relationship with my LBS. I bought my bike there, they know me by name and always give me ridiculously good markdowns (often more than half off) on stuff like tyres, tubes, c02, lube, bidons etc. They weren't born yesterday, and respect and understand the fact that I buy alot of stuff online. TBH if I walked in there tomorrow and told them I wanted to try on some SIDIs with a view to buying them online, I reckon they'd happily do it provided they weren't too busy. In fact I've done just that with a helmet in the past and they weren't the slightest bit phased. That's the way cycling retail's had to progress, and to my knowledge the shop I frequent isn't struggling at all to make a buck

A bit of honesty and transparency goes a long way. If the LBS can't compete with an online price, they tell me and I go buy it from Wiggle. They know I'll be back time and time again to give them more business. I get the best deal, they keep a long term regular customer. Win win
That's great you have that sort of relationship mate.... let's just hope that store is around in the future to continue helping you out.

Not all stores are like this, and this goes far beyond bike retail.

After my accident a few months back, I had a bike store that wouldn't even do me a quote on repairs unless I put a deposit down. Turns out a lot of people were getting quotes and then buying the parts overseas, fitting it themselves, and pocketing the difference. Needless to say, that store didn't get any of my business.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i always tell people if they want to buy their own parts and bring them in to be built they can. im not an arse and i'd feel properly shit if i was totally ripping someone off. even tho i guess technically it's not ripping them off hah.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
nic

Post by nic »

LBS told me the 'campy record' ring was goin to be 300 this morning.....:lol: after saying it was in the range of 130 ish pre order

laughed and got it for 150 in the end.
good guys
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

when do we change the site to melbournebikes.com?
nic

Post by nic »

prettyy soon imo

raving is dead
riding is alive
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

nic if they're getting from campy distro here they just lost about $50.
nic

Post by nic »

yep!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

nic wrote:might just put mt mtb pedals and shoes on my road bike
that's what i did. no reason not to imo.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
nic

Post by nic »

execpt my mtb shoes have footy spikes (removeable tho) and mega treads.
really prefer my...

too teh ultegras lol

also ahve some

lol

OR I COULD CHUCK THESE ON!

i am pedal master?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

crank bros
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

sick ride with system this morning.
nic

Post by nic »

does system have a cold?
:(

poor feigan going riding with a sick system
:(
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

good ride! :thumbup:

feeling a bit sick by the end. need to get my hill legs back in action.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

we ride again tomorrow.

big it up.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

yes yes. :joy:
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

System and Feigan do La Perouse - http://app.strava.com/rides/4581511
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Feigan wrote:System and Feigan do La Perouse - http://app.strava.com/rides/4581511
nice! :thumbup:

will have to remember to kick off my tracks for the next ride.
nic

Post by nic »

ny fit birds bruv?
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

huge wrote:im not an arse and i'd feel properly shit if i was totally ripping someone off.
unlike the xbox ebooks huhu :dontknow:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

haha not really ripping anyone off there tho was it. :P just providing a nice packaged version for the lazy.

plus that was only $20 :teef:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

"Highlighting the dangers cyclists face on the road everyday"
Don't hate me for house
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Can anyone recommend a good backpack (not messenger bag) for riding? Looking for something waterproof, comfy, simple, and yeah a bit cool looking. Thinking of something like a Chrome Ivan, but they don't stock any in black at the moment on the Chrome website. Any recommendations for something similar and maybe cheaper? Budget is at most $200.
retzie

Post by retzie »

How big do you want? I've got the Chrome Pawn, which is the littler version of the Ivan - still pretty massive imo (but I are teh little). Also, dunno if you've seen in the reviews, but apparently the rolltop is a bit of a liability vision-wise while riding. I can totally see it - it sits high and is wider than the bag itself (which is already wide).

Chrome are pretty rad, but do try for the ones that are made in the US. My old bag is one of their China-made efforts and there's a big difference in build quality. Also, the tarp liner is lovely but weighs a fucking tonne.

Mebbe check out Mission Workshop as well. Dunno if they have an Oz stockist, but they are a cut above Chrome (which may put you slightly over-budget). Can has MB hook-ups if you can't get 'em there ;)
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
aroes

Post by aroes »

If you cannae find Chrome stuff on the website, try Fyxo Hub on Wilson St South Yarra

Also Mission Workshop do stuff you might be interested in, pretty sure they have them at Saint Cloud on Gertrude St Fitzroy. Mate has one that he swears by

I have an Ivan. Can't fault the thing, love it. Has two waterproof sections inside. The outer shell of the bag isn't waterproof as such, but you'd have to give it a sustained drenching to wet it through

edit- retzie beat me to it lol
retzie

Post by retzie »

In your MB, stealing your thunderz :teefnilly:

My Pawn (and I) copped a drenching on the way home today. It's nice to know the lappy et al. are cozy inside the ride.

Oh, going into winter, if anyone's in the market for technical wear that doesn't look like a dayglo tarp, check out Nau. Their stuff is the shit and they currently have their winter gear on sale.
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Nice one guys!! The unintentional consensus definitely makes me think about putting in a little more cash and getting a Mission. Any particular recommendations from that brand?

retzie: was wondering whether the pawn or Ivan is a better fit... how tall are you? I'm a 5ft10 male.
are all new chrome bags made in china or just some? thanks for the heads up on that, I didn't know.
p.s. hell yeah on the rain gear!!! I was gonna ask actually! any recommendations for particular items?

aroes: cheers, will check out those stores to see what they have. are the waterproof spaces large enough for a laptop? I would want to be able to put my lappy in there and be sure it'll survive a 30min downpour if I have to ride home in srs rain.
aroes

Post by aroes »

I'm about the same height as you (maybe an inch taller). The Ivan is massive. When I got it it felt too big and I had a bit of buyer's remorse. Before long I came to love how big it is. I rarely leave home without it. Mine's made in the states and looks/feels as though it'd survive multiple nuclear holocausts

Yep the main waterproof section is big more than big enough for a laptop. TBH you could ride in torrential rain for hours on end with your laptop in a non-waterproof part of the bag and provided you didn't take it off your back and set it down in a puddle, it still wouldn't get wet

And yeah I've noticed people on the site complain about visibility with the rolltop. Not an issue IMO. Yes it's defo in your field of vision when you do a head check, but not a hindrance in the slightest
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Could you use the Ivan for a bit of light travelling too? Let's say I went to Thailand for a few weeks backpacking. Would it fill that role well?

I'm a bit confused, since it looks massive in the pictures on the Chrome website, but it's only two inches longer than the pawn. How is it when it's not full?

Thanks for the advice.
retzie

Post by retzie »

autumnleaves wrote:retzie: was wondering whether the pawn or Ivan is a better fit... how tall are you? I'm a 5ft10 male. are all new chrome bags made in china or just some? thanks for the heads up on that, I didn't know.
p.s. hell yeah on the rain gear!!! I was gonna ask actually! any recommendations for particular items?

aroes: cheers, will check out those stores to see what they have. are the waterproof spaces large enough for a laptop? I would want to be able to put my lappy in there and be sure it'll survive a 30min downpour if I have to ride home in srs rain.
I am little! 5'3" and a girl. I totally had buyer's remorse after I got the Pawn too coz it is so big. I was going to take it back and get one of the Mission Workshop numbers instead (either Sanction or Fitzroy) but they didn't have a good pocket configuration for me - I need two large compartments and access to multiple things from the outside. The shoe pockets on the Pawn are good for this. Wallet, keys and train pass live in one of them, lunch in the other. I use the front 'weatherproof' pocket for 'puter cables, hat, gloves, umbrella, etc., then have put a laptop sleeve in the main waterproof one, so lappy, work clothes, work, etc. Apart from the size, the laptop sleeve not being built in made me hesitate, but honestly there is no difference now with an aftermarket.

I think Chrome started outsourcing to China when they hit the wider market. The original designs are still made in the US, with the newer ones going to China. On the Chrome website, each has "Built in" as the last line in its description page. You're after "Chico, CA USA"

Glad to hear the rolltop isn't a problem for vision IRL - I cannot has a bike here, so I've never tried! The Ivan is a full 11L bigger than the Pawn, so it's definitely gotta put that somewhere. May I suggest a man-date with teh one like aroes for you to try it on?? Only way to know, innit. aroes, plz put out - don't make me look bad.

Oh, in yesterday's downpour, while the bag looked after my stuff, I was kept totally dry by my Nau trench. Can't recommend them highly enough. In Chicago, the wind renders umbrellas not only useless, but a danger to life and limb - good rain gear is a must.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Haha I think me and retzie may have over informationed you mate.

Just buy one! They are good!

Ps- retzie spells retiree in Swype
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Nah, no such thing :) I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to buying new things, I like to do my research! You guys have been really helpful, thanks!

Reckon the Ivan looks the goods, if I'm only going to be bring a little stuff I'll just use my messenger, so more space can't hurt, and as I said, could be useful to use it as a travel backpack for trips through SE Asia and the like.

Thanks again, will update you when I get something :)
nic

Post by nic »

im around 5'11
male

go getter attitude
gsoh
melbourne
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

iinterests?
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

http://app.strava.com/rides/4942477

anyone want to come for a ride in Sydney?
retzie

Post by retzie »

nic wrote:im around 5'11
male

go getter attitude
gsoh
melbourne
How big's your bag :?:
nic

Post by nic »

lets swap ballons retioez.
:<3:
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

O Hai Huge.

Figured you'd be lurking in this thread.

Do you still have mad connections to teh Rod Laver Arena?

I have a Taiwanese uber-boss I am supposed to be entertaining. So anyway, this dude flew in to Australia by Lear Jet, has been helicoptered everywhere, but seems incapable of getting inside any tennis arenas.

Tennis is his number one love. He has flown around the world and had his photo taken outside of Wimbledon, outside the place where they have the French Open, outside the venue where the US open is held and also outside Rod Laver.

If I could get him inside on a special tour of some sort, I'm pretty sure his head would implode.

Will post pix if this happened, and will also offer compensation of sorts if you could tell me who to speak to about this sort of thing.

Thnx :D

/end thread hijack.

Back to fixies.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

lol. all he needs to do really is head on into the tennis world reception area and ask for a tour! they do them on the reg. as long as there isnt anything like disney on ice and some other big production on then he should be able to get into centre court too :D

it's not tennis australia that do the tours tho i think that is MOPT (the parks trust). but yeah, should be pretty easy really :)
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:joy:

Thanks Huge :) :) :)
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."