apple mac

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Spherix

apple mac

Post by Spherix »

lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
on tour

Post by on tour »

lol... funny shit
We will chant with robes on you will learn...
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Very funny but why is it that idiots can't use Mac, Ive used Mac for about 6 years and in that time my 3 different macs have crashed/frozen maybe
4 times !
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

haha

macs are rad.
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

For those who haven't heard:

Apple drops IBM PowerPC line for Intel chips
http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/06/06 ... /index.php
Dave_wratH

Post by Dave_wratH »

Mac's own you. You would have to be a fuktard not to be able to operate a mac.

As for the intel dealie. I don't think it will make a difference. The whole idea behind a mac is that you're buy a computer that is not a mongrel. Every bit is designed with all the other bits in mind. An intel chip will be no different. Anyways they're using IBM chips in the G5s. IBM just can't give them the power and speed they need to keep up with the Intel/ AMD market.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I heard something about PPC apps not working on next years intel-based chippies. have no idea though as i'm not a mac user. quickly scanned the statement on another forum. dunno how much credence I give to it, but thought it was interesting at the time.
Little Evil

Post by Little Evil »

That's gold.
Macs suck.
Had more probs with them than I've ever had with any PC.
Sorry.
:smt098
Guyno

Post by Guyno »

Hahahaha, funny shit! Complete bullshit of course but funny shit none the less.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I want to buy a Sun AMD system

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Don't hate me for house
Dark Lord Piddle Bottom

Post by Dark Lord Piddle Bottom »

once you go mac you never look back!

Widgets are the future!
Last edited by Dark Lord Piddle Bottom on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is proceeding as I have Foreseen

http://www.myspace.com/dark_lord_piddle_bottom
nic

Post by nic »

same. gimme my athlon heavy breathing firestarter over dirty old g4 i had any day. any day....Windows has better desktops anyway.
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i use both. athlon64 at home and a p4 and a g4 and a g5 at work.

all serve their purpose quite well!

YAY FOR CONFUSERS!!!
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lol Sfewiks.
Rob M wrote:I heard something about PPC apps not working on next years intel-based chippies.
there will be dual code 'fat binaries' for a while. even if there isn't the code for a PPC app if you're running it on an Intel-based Mac, it'll still run using a run-time translator called Rosetta.

so yes, it's true. the 'Classic' environment will not run on Intel-based Macs though.
Dave_wratH wrote:As for the intel dealie. I don't think it will make a difference. The whole idea behind a mac is that you're buy a computer that is not a mongrel. Every bit is designed with all the other bits in mind.
the operating system (Mac OS X) will look exactly the same. you'll just be running it on a different chipset.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:i use both. athlon64 at home and a p4 and a g4 and a g5 at work.

all serve their purpose quite well!

YAY FOR CONFUSERS!!!
ditto.

dunno why you love NetWare so much though. :P
lynt

Post by lynt »

system wrote:the operating system (Mac OS X) will look exactly the same. you'll just be running it on a different chipset.

That's all they want you to know, too :)

"Dun worry, she's still a Ferrari, the engines just different. Still runs though, yeah? Final Cut, anyone?"

:P
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lynt wrote:
system wrote:the operating system (Mac OS X) will look exactly the same. you'll just be running it on a different chipset.

"Dun worry, she's still a Ferrari, the engines just different. Still runs though, yeah? Final Cut, anyone?"

you still lust after one. :P

being more serious, Apple's OS has been compiled for Intel-based CPUs for the entire history of Mac OS X. the OS that Mac OS X was based on, NeXTSTEP, started out on a PPC base.. and then went to an Intel base.

I think there will be some blazing laptops coming from Cupertino soon, myself. not so sure on the server (and maybe desktop) front though.
lynt

Post by lynt »

system wrote:
lynt wrote:

this, is, true :(

im still paying off car explosions. :( :(

now im sad :cry:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

lynt wrote:
system wrote:
lynt wrote:

this, is, true :(
your intent was palpable, young man. :palpatine:
lynt wrote:now im sad :cry:
awww. Image

this might cheer you up. Image
lynt

Post by lynt »

:D
mecka

Post by mecka »

System - pics or stfu.

hang on.. they dont allow pr0n here.

macs for everything else cept 3d and games.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

mecka wrote:macs for everything else cept 3d and games.

lynt

Post by lynt »

system wrote:

:homerdrool:
yenks

Post by yenks »

macs are cool and sexy

check out my new mini mac g4 :D

fuckin tiny !!!!!
speakerwrath

Post by speakerwrath »

Dave_wratH wrote:Mac's own you. You would have to be a fuktard not to be able to operate a mac.

As for the intel dealie. I don't think it will make a difference. The whole idea behind a mac is that you're buy a computer that is not a mongrel. Every bit is designed with all the other bits in mind. An intel chip will be no different. Anyways they're using IBM chips in the G5s. IBM just can't give them the power and speed they need to keep up with the Intel/ AMD market.
nice one dave...... how long have you been workin for apple?

but seriously, i have a g5, it rocks tha shizit! did i say "shizit"? i meant to say "shit".
Penno

Post by Penno »

We just got a demo in the office today

All anyone has done (including me) is bitch about the mouse having no right-click... what's up with that?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Penno wrote:We just got a demo in the office today

All anyone has done (including me) is bitch about the mouse having no right-click... what's up with that?
Meh, just plug in a 2 button mouse. Problem solved. :)
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
Penno

Post by Penno »

Yeah fully.

Phase in ultra-buttoned gamer mouses I say... soon we won't need keyboards

What an age we live in
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Damn straight.

I actually have a 5 button MS mouse connected to my mac. Goes great. :)
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King Jr.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Having only recently joined the mac world I can say the big difference is that you don't have to be an IT wizz to use macs - the help function actually helps.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Penno wrote:soon we won't need keyboards
roll on the death of the QWERTY keyboards, for a start.
pitch helix

Post by pitch helix »

system wrote:
What are the alternatives?
lynt

Post by lynt »

pitch helix wrote:
system wrote:
What are the alternatives?
The one Apple designed from the start, but got superseeded by M$, cannae remember the format. :(
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

There's DVORAK.

I tried it once. Didn't seem any better than QWERTY.
Dave_wratH

Post by Dave_wratH »

They should do like a nokia style sms wit predicitve text on the number pad.
pitch helix

Post by pitch helix »

lol
Penno

Post by Penno »

Meaning the keys are set up in a different way?

Look at qwerty... I dunno if there's logic behind it (it's based on typewriters yeah?) but it looks like a dogs breakfast, and people can punch out text pretty quick with it...

My point being it's not going to make much difference and would be a bitch to impliment... try telling the worlds computer users they all need to learn how to type again.

Also to settle a bet does anyone know if they make keyboards with chinese characters? I swear I saw one in the Bond movie 'Tomorrow never dies' and often wondered if they get much use around the place eg. China.

And yes I know not everything in Bond movies exists : )
Penno

Post by Penno »

Dave_wratH wrote:They should do like a nokia style sms wit predicitve text on the number pad.
Fully!! I came up with this idea once when I was drunk and thought it was a get-rich-quick scheme that couldn't fail!
Focus

Post by Focus »

system wrote:

Fuck Maya, go XSI and MAX!
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

This is my keyboard at work.

It's a bit grotty, but you get the idea.

Note: I still use a QWERTY keymap. But it confuses the hell out of co-workers. :)
Stray

Post by Stray »

Focus wrote:
system wrote:

Fuck Maya, go XSI and MAX!
Maya gets my love daily! It's the shizzle! 8)
Dave_wratH

Post by Dave_wratH »

is querty like it is because they'd given though to the probability of having to use the same finger on consecutive letters? Or just the defined convention?
Penno

Post by Penno »

GOLD!

hahaha lucas that's gold - but do you find yourself doing your head in on monday mornings "where's the v key dammit"

I always thought it had something to do with the way a typewriter was built or something....?
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Heaps of info about QWERTY here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwerty
lucas
emission reductionist

Post by lucas »

Penno wrote:hahaha lucas that's gold - but do you find yourself doing your head in on monday mornings "where's the v key dammit"
Nahh, it's all good. Even on Monday mornings. As long as you can touch type on a QWERTY keymap.

I really want to get this keyboard though:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

No letters on the keys! Woo!
jungle_tactics

Post by jungle_tactics »

Dave_wratH wrote:is querty like it is because they'd given though to the probability of having to use the same finger on consecutive letters? Or just the defined convention?
Wikipedia wrote:Frequently-used pairs of letters were separated in an attempt to stop the typebars from intertwining and becoming stuck, thus forcing the typist to manually unstick the typebars and also frequently blotting the document. (The home row (ASDFGHJKL) of the QWERTY layout is thought to be a remnant of the old alphabetical layout that QWERTY replaced.) It also alternated keys between hands, allowing one hand to move into position while the other hand strikes a key. This sped up both the original double-handed hunt-and-peck technique and the later touch typing technique; however, single-handed words such as stewardesses and monopoly show flaws in the alternation.

It has often been noted that the word typewriter can be typed entirely using the top row of the QWERTY keyboard: it has been speculated that this may have been a factor in the choice of keys for ease of demonstration.
:wink:
Penno

Post by Penno »

haha where it's at!
saintberry

Post by saintberry »

Dave_wratH wrote:Mac's own you. You would have to be a fuktard not to be able to operate a mac.

wont make a difference??? wtf how can it not make a difference switching to x86 processors?

after the switch to x86, any 64bit pc owner will be able to boot Mac OS X, Windoze x64 and linux if they wish and have the mandatory nerd factor. not only that they will be able to run such "exclusive" mac programs such as final cut pro and logic once they are recompiled.

people need to face it and even more so now, a mac is just a pretty looking PC and a substandard overpriced one @ that.

anything that would make you buy a mac (be it not much anyway) will be lost after the move to x86 (apart from looks).

1. heat
2. mac os x
3. mac only programs

and as far as IBM goes they for a long time have been producing the fastest microchips on the planet. just look @ the ps3 and not to mention their range of networking processors that can churn data close to a teraflop a sec. in short cell processors kick ass. but thats a whole other story. apple just knows they will never be able to compete with the price and performance of other x86 based systems...and IBM knew they were a waste of time so didnt put anything into developing the chips.

think no longer of apple as an alternative to a PC, they are no different to a comany like Dell come 2006. sure with an "exclusive" software set but that will be easily hacked.
First you get her name. Then you get her number. Then you get some get some in the back seat of a hummer!
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

fuck keyboards all together

dasher4lyfe~!!!

http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/
lowercase//Immerse//Tube10//BareDubs//Sub Continental Dub//On The Edge//Camino Blue
Spherix

Post by Spherix »

plus theres no advantages/disadvantages in qwerty vs any other arrangements coz once your cognitive mind gets the hang of the new one its just the same?!?!