New 2000 person venue, no smoking venues, and you!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
lynt

Post by lynt »

OK then:

Cannabis contains more tar than tobacco, and has a higher concentration of carcinogens (cancer-causing agents)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/cannabis/

Though, do a Google search on "marijuana tar content" and you get some pretty interesting facts. Like, marijuana kills aging cells before they become canerous (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01729.html)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

lynt wrote:
Citizen Smif wrote:
That's not the point of what I wrote.

Nowhere did I say smoking marijuana isn't bad for you.
Or will have less of a negetive effect in comparison to ciggarettes.

Chill, Winston. I posted it for the benefit of MB.C, the world doesn't revolve around your non-smoking lungs, ya know? :smt033
That post has no relevence my good friend.

This discussion is about changes to laws about smoking cigarettes in clubs. In principle, this will also make it damn hard to smoke joints inside clubs. Win win.

I don't think there's anyone here who's not aware of the fact that smoking ANYTHING produces tar, particularly weed.

But.... it's the cigarettes that are the problem, they're the addictive ones... we don't really have an issue with the amount of people smoking weed in clubs do we? Sure there's a bit of it, but compared to ciggies smoked I'd think it would be minimal. And with the introduction of cigarette bans, I think that will get rid of any more weed smoking inside licensed premises also.

PS: AC23. My previous point, RE: law, was just that one law applies to all. There's not going to be exemptions for International DJ's etc... when this law comes into play it'll be for one and all...
lynt

Post by lynt »

Direktor wrote:
lynt wrote:
Citizen Smif wrote: That's not the point of what I wrote.

Nowhere did I say smoking marijuana isn't bad for you.
Or will have less of a negetive effect in comparison to ciggarettes.

Chill, Winston. I posted it for the benefit of MB.C, the world doesn't revolve around your non-smoking lungs, ya know? :smt033
That post has no relevence my good friend.

This discussion is about changes to laws about smoking cigarettes in clubs. In principle, this will also make it damn hard to smoke joints inside clubs. Win win.

I don't think there's anyone here who's not aware of the fact that smoking ANYTHING produces tar, particularly weed.

But.... it's the cigarettes that are the problem, they're the addictive ones... we don't really have an issue with the amount of people smoking weed in clubs do we? Sure there's a bit of it, but compared to ciggies smoked I'd think it would be minimal. And with the introduction of cigarette bans, I think that will get rid of any more weed smoking inside licensed premises also.
Yes, exactly.

Though, for those who hate on ciggy smokers, yet roll up fatty boombatties and think they're avoiding cancer of the lungs, heart, brain, feet, and mind.... they got another thing coming.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Indeed they do.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

fatty boombatties
hehehe
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

I quit about 6 months ago and have not looked back - smoking is such a stupid habit if you look at it. Regardless if you want to be free to make a decision, its still fucking stupid.

Not smokng is soo much better than smoking.

Now crack on the other hand.............. :)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yo smoking crew!

What's the attraction in taking up smoking?
Honestly...

Just want to know what motivated you to start smoking?

And wether or not you were aware of the addiction/health issues at the beginning?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

What happened to your post CIA?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Direktor: I have no idea. My Dad smoked for 45 years. my first smokes were ones i nicked out of his packets and snuck down the park to smoke aqt about age 12.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

DBoy: you didn't start smoking regularly then though did you?

I admit I smoked some of my Godmother's ciggies around the same age, just out of curiosity... but it wasn't until later years... Re: 18-19yo that I had a real dip... but that didn't last long.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

not like I was on a pack a day at 13 years old. But that is just how it started.
gnat

Post by gnat »

i blame work- shift work and super duper stress plus EVERYONE smokes in my profession

i love smoking but the time to give up is definately acoming

my mum HATES it more than anyone else i know. she's disgusted to this day when i light up

:?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Direktor wrote: Just want to know what motivated you to start smoking?

I started smoking ciggies after I started smoking pot. Ciggies were just something to smoke in between sessions with the billy
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Interesting.

Gnat: you work in the medical profession and most people smoke??? Go figure hey.....
gnat

Post by gnat »

Direktor wrote:Interesting.

Gnat: you work in the medical profession and most people smoke??? Go figure hey.....
yep.. ssshhhhh

whadyameanican'tsmokeinhere? :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Direktor wrote:What happened to your post CIA?
:oops:

Yeah, well it's not something I'm proud of, but I'll put it back up.

When?? 27 yrs old
Why?? Hospitality... addicted to passive smoking, plus the only valid breaks you can take are the ones where you have a smoke in your hand. No point sitting on the stairs with nothing but a book, cos you look like a slackass.
What now?? Quit once last year for abot 1.5-2 months. Back on the wagon, but steeling myself for my final attempt.

And, like I said... Worst. Habit. Ever.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
mrj

Post by mrj »

gnat wrote:

yep.. ssshhhhh

whadyameanican'tsmokeinhere? :lol:
smartass :lol:
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
gnat

Post by gnat »

8)
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

I once read an interesting report that said doctors and surgeons were the profession with the highest amount of smokers on average than any other profession. Thats going back 5-10years now, would be interesting to see if it was still the same. It went on about them being fully aware of the dangers and treating patients dying from smoking etc etc, yet the reason they smoked was because of the stress involved with their job. Go figure indeed...
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

gnat wrote:i blame work-

my mum HATES it more than anyone else i know. she's disgusted to this day when i light up

same one. I get to go down stairs and mingle with the other smokers. combined with drinking booze on a friday, I'd say smoking ciggies helped get me the promotion I got last year and thats got to be better than smoking cock.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

black star wrote:

same one. I get to go down stairs and mingle with the other smokers. combined with drinking booze on a friday, I'd say smoking ciggies helped get me the promotion I got last year and thats got to be better than smoking cock.
Not health-wise according to Nip/Tuck last night! :lol:

RE: medical profession smoking due to stress... How does smoking relieve stress? If you become addicted to it, aren't you stressed out when you don't smoke? If so, then unless you're constantly smoking within the hospital, how will it relieve stress. I thought tobacco/nicotine was a stimulant....
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Direktor wrote:
black star wrote:

Not health-wise according to Nip/Tuck last night! :lol:

RE: medical profession smoking due to stress... How does smoking relieve stress? If you become addicted to it, aren't you stressed out when you don't smoke? If so, then unless you're constantly smoking within the hospital, how will it relieve stress. I thought tobacco/nicotine was a stimulant....
OK, well I'd rather smoke ciggies than some ones cock to get a promotion.
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

lynt wrote:
Marijuana contains more than 400 chemicals, including most of the harmful substances found in tobacco smoke. Smoking one marijuana cigarette deposits about four times more tar into the lungs than a filtered tobacco cigarette.
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/marijuana.html
OK I will not espouse crap about benefits of pot cos i know the complexities; but let me say that the US dept of justice is perhaps one of the least credible sources on drugs: THC in particular.

After all, it is the US DOJ which propogated bullshit to get the marijuana plant made illegal in most nation-states in the world following the formation of the UN in the post WW2 arena.
...yar not gonna do a rant just wanted to point that out k

oh and as a smoker from a young age I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUPPORT TOTAL BANS ON TOBACCO SMOKING
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Direktor wrote: How does smoking relieve stress? If you become addicted to it, aren't you stressed out when you don't smoke?

It doesn't work like that
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

breaksRbest wrote:
Direktor wrote: How does smoking relieve stress? If you become addicted to it, aren't you stressed out when you don't smoke?

True. When I quit smoking, I substituted those Funny Face frozen thingies. If I didn't have one after dinner, I got all antsy. If I ran out, I'd walk the 3 km's to the shops to get some.

Addictive personalities need a crutch to rely on, that's just the way it goes.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

breaksRbest wrote:

Well it does with my addictions.

Addictions don't alleviate stress, they simply create more.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Direktor wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

Yeah, but once you've satisfied your addiction with another hit, doesn't the world feel like a better place instantly??
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

The Mixtress wrote:
Direktor wrote:
breaksRbest wrote:

Yeah, but once you've satisfied your addiction with another hit, doesn't the world feel like a better place instantly??
For sure. But it's not permanent. There's always another hit needed.

Whereas without the addiction... you're not looking for that hit. So you're not stressed about having to get it IMO.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

sure but if its not frosty feezes, or ciggies, its power or fame or sex or chocolate.

addictions abound.

you cant tell us you dont have ANY addictions direkt??

:wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

No I can't.

If you check my posts Ms. Kitty - you'll notice I said I do have some... :D
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well then you understand the push/pull

i wanna/i dun wanna

mentality that goes with it...

ahhhh we humans are full of contradictions aint we!!!
platform_solace

Post by platform_solace »

Direktor wrote:
black star wrote:Until the government outlaws tobacco completely they shouldn't be making it difficuilt for smokers to light up. How many people are killed in road smashes by drivers under the influence of smoke. So you can get boozed up abe get served legally to a point where you are over the limit to drive but you can't have a ciggy at the same time. Its ridiculous. Either make it illegal and stop profitting from the taxes or STFU.
Are you serious?

Sure the government get taxes from it, but I'd reckon most of it is used to prop up cancer sufferers and their other related smoking-diseases in our public health system. John Howard doesn't actually take the money home mate....
a very good point. after all, if the government was REALLY profiting from smoking do you think they would be spending sooooo much money telling you to stop?
Direktor wrote: They're not telling you what you can't do to yourself, more what you shouldn't be doing to others - particularly those who work in hospitality and may end up suing their emplyers.
THE point. i sympathise with blackstar's feelings, but in this age where everyone refuses to take responsibility for their own problems and looks for someone to sue this is likely to become a big issue.. (mind you i haven't met many hospo workers who don't smoke..)

look on the bright side, these new laws should encourage a new age of heated beer gardens rampantly springing up all over the place.. much better than smoking inside really..
"for serious the world is gone wrong when we dance to fire alarms."
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ghetto kitty wrote:well then you understand the push/pull

i wanna/i dun wanna

mentality that goes with it...

ahhhh we humans are full of contradictions aint we!!!
Definately. It's only when you step outside that you can see it for what it is... but that's the hard thing hey, the stepping outside and removing yourself from it...
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

What exactly entails a vice?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i think

vice = something you do which is not good for you but you do it anyways

addiction = a vice you do over and over and over

agree??
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Doesn't that make pretty much anything a vice?
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Vice: 1. an immoral or evil habit or practice.

Addiction: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I'd say a vice and an addiction can be one and the same, something you do, even though you don't want to... I.e you feel compelled to, you need to....

But I think a vice relates to the specific addiction... I.e. I'm 'addicted' to [insert vice]....
Last edited by Direkt on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

jbs wrote:Doesn't that make pretty much anything a vice?
Yeah I'd say so... everything in moderation, otherwise if it's in excess to your detriment - I'd call it a vice.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

The Mixtress wrote:Vice: 1. an immoral or evil habit or practice.

Addiction: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
So, by that definition smoking is (usually) an addiction, drinking is (usually) neither an addiction nor a vice.
Last edited by JAMESSSS on Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate me for house
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

are you guys still crapping on in here...

:lol:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

loving animals is not a vice unless you sodomise them.

enjoying movies is not a vice if you go outside occasionally.

working is not a vice if you play too.

want me to go on?

yes, everything in moderation.... :wink:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Not really, no.
Don't hate me for house
platform_solace

jbs wrote:

So, by that definition smoking is (usually) an addiction, drinking is (usually) neither an addiction nor a vice.
by that definition smoking isn't an addiction, i'd hardly call a few days of jitters and bad temper "severe trauma"... clearly smoking is an addiction so perhaps the definition is just a bit strongly worded..
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

platform_solace wrote:
jbs wrote:

by that definition smoking isn't an addiction, i'd hardly call a few days of jitters and bad temper "severe trauma"... clearly smoking is an addiction so perhaps the definition is just a bit strongly worded..
yeah true.
Don't hate me for house
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I took it straight from dictionary.com.

Here's a few more definitions for addiction

Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance: a drug used in the treatment of heroin addiction.
An instance of this: a person with multiple chemical addictions.

The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.
An instance of this: had an addiction for fast cars.

The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.
An instance of this: had an addiction for fast cars.
platform_solace

The Mixtress wrote: The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or involved in something.
i think that hits the nail on the head.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

jbs wrote:Not really, no.
aw cmon.

:)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I think jbs' comment was actually in reference to my post I deleted Kitty... I think... Therefore I am.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

I still haven't seen a decent argument defending peoples' "right" to smoke in public.

Me NOT smoking doesn't impinge upon your health or enjoyment of a venue/gig.

Making smokes illegal won't solve anything. It just means you'll be paying $50 a pack, the government won't see any of it and the police will be wasting their time on tobbacco dealers. Prohibition showed us that making these things flat out illegal doesn't fix anything.

I found that when I was out, the desire to smoke was mostly motivated by seeing other people light up, or having smoke wafted in my face.

Drinking at least gets you drunk. Smoking just makes you cough.
There's no justice, just us.