The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
amzie

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by amzie »

Kitty if you are planning to go to bali you must spend at least a few days (you will want to stay even longer once you are there).

On Nusa Lembongon Island. It is so lush, and its not spoilt by oodles of tourist and cars and people trying to sell you things. They say its like Bali was 20 years ago, and its the only place I would feel safe enough to hire a motor bike and explore. When I visited all the tourists seemed pretty into reading their books and chilling out, rather than the party style you tend to get on the main island.

http://www.patongbeachthailand.com/moxiepix/b1_716.jpg
thats what you see when your boat arrives!
and this is where i want to stay next time i go
http://www.bali-activities.com/images/C ... Resort.jpg
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

amzie, nice one, looks beautiful, def not up for tourist places, i alwasy find the non trodden path even in touristy destinations like thailand and bali,
but im kinda not into the resort type thing, i really go to places to meet locals and do wierd stuff.....

still not sure if i want to go there..
could do vietnam in the south, could do north of thailand but have been there four times now,
also wanted to do the solomon islands, truk lagoon etc but think they are mainly diving destinations...
could get padi i guess...the idea of diving scares me a bit.....hmmmz...
south america, but need more time off to do that!
and after road trip on the weekend, got all romantic about getting a caravan and hitting the aussie roads with yoshi and visiting all my friends across the country...
amzie

Post by amzie »

The island has lots of places to wander and i think you can hire huts just like the locals have (aside from improved bathroom etc). That are among the villagers huts or even a bit away from anyone. Sat on a beach there all afternoon and the only people i saw were local kids fishing with coke bottles good fun.
You just listed all the places I want to go too!
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

I am thinking of going to Japan at the end of the year.

I kno wmany people here have been over there. The plan is to go snowboarding up north (free accomodation) then fuck around spomewhere else for a bit. Is it too cold that in Jan to have fun that time of year?

Also thinking of doing Lao in the same trip, so it might we water sports and snow sports all in the one trip.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Going to the states for a few weeks in March, Austin and L.A, meeting up with some mates (Japanese and Aussie) in L.A and it should be mayhem.

Anyone got any recommendations for L.A?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

VENICE BEACH!
Don't hate me for house
retzie

Post by retzie »

Hatsudai wrote:Going to the states for a few weeks in March, Austin and L.A, meeting up with some mates (Japanese and Aussie) in L.A and it should be mayhem.

Spend more time in Austin??

Can't say I'm much of a fan of LA, but I've never really tried that hard. San Diego, on the other hand, is fucking awesome and I can't say enough good things about Austin :D. Of course, this all pales in comparison to Oklahoma.....

If you is into breaks, you're going to be in town for Fingerlickin radness 8)
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
nic

Post by nic »

get in a car, buy an eightball and drive to SF then Portland imo
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

nic wrote:get in a car, buy an eightball and drive to SF then Portland imo
Don't stop there, buy some weed and cruise right up to Seattle and start a band.
nic

Post by nic »

take an umbrella, its one of the wettest places on earth it is.
1. Kaui
2. Seattle
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

:snicker:
RK

Post by RK »

Leaving the frostiness of the UK next week for some Indian adventures - planning 4/5 months so am planning to cover some serious ground. Anyone recommend any absolute must sees apart from the usual suspects? thx
On the mish.....
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

RK wrote:Leaving the frostiness of the UK next week for some Indian adventures - planning 4/5 months so am planning to cover some serious ground. Anyone recommend any absolute must sees apart from the usual suspects? thx
Hey bro - hows old blighty treating ya?
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

jbs wrote:VENICE BEACH!
standard!
retzie wrote:
Spend more time in Austin??
interesting....... Whats the draw of Austin, why is it so good?
retzie

Post by retzie »

Austin's just a very chilled, cool place to hang out. There's a million and one gigs, bars, cafes, restaurants, parks, walks, etc. to actually do, and that's even before you get onto how interesting, cool and welcoming the locals are. Chuck in that they are bang up for a party and I, for one, was pretty damn sad to leave. Going back in 2 weeks though :D

If you want an idea of the vibe of the place, The Austin Chronicle (local street press) is the be all and end all of what's going down. The only downside to the city I've found is that everything closes as 2am :?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Planning my first ever trip o/s... in fact, my first ever trip out of the Eastern states of Aus.

Justa quick'n'easy one to get the ball rolling, bit of Thailand in early August. Now to get my saving on.

Excitement.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Direkt wrote:Planning my first ever trip o/s... in fact, my first ever trip out of the Eastern states of Aus.

Justa quick'n'easy one to get the ball rolling, bit of Thailand in early August. Now to get my saving on.

Excitement.
you'll need about $50 spending money huhu
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

retzie wrote:Austin's just a very chilled, cool place to hang out. There's a million and one gigs, bars, cafes, restaurants, parks, walks, etc. to actually do, and that's even before you get onto how interesting, cool and welcoming the locals are. Chuck in that they are bang up for a party and I, for one, was pretty damn sad to leave. Going back in 2 weeks though :D

If you want an idea of the vibe of the place, The Austin Chronicle (local street press) is the be all and end all of what's going down. The only downside to the city I've found is that everything closes as 2am :?
thanks for the tip!
Friday

Post by Friday »

do bali kitty!!
yes lots of tourists go there but they all go to the same places. there are so many beautiful parts of the island you can go to that aren't touristy at all. they're such great people and are really struggling from the downturn in visitors since the bombings etc.
if you go let me know as i can tell you lots of places to check out!
you can go to ubud but there are great places further north too.
last trip i spent some time way at the south, uluwata, which is gorgeous too.
next time i go i want to go to flores island and komodo island too (east of bali).
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

you know, i just might do bali friday....now that i think about it...
ive got almost two weeks off in april...
im all for going to friendly places that need my tourist dollar...

ill check out some flights and dates and when i book something ill hit you up for a possible internal intierary...
thanks!
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

i went to lorne on the weekend.

erskine falls walk down to the beach was rad.

thanks for the house doug
quick

Post by quick »

me gonna go back to thailand to get teef done... porcilin veneers, soooo much cheaper, and I get a free holiday.

Went to dentist for inspection to see if i could get some, and it lasted 25mins in dentist chair with dentist and 2 dental nurses and it was FREE??? WTF? when is a dentist check up free?

$400 for each veneer compaired to about $1200 here...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Fents

Post by Fents »

mine were $800 each when i got them done about 10 years ago. got 6 of the barsteads fuck me was i paying them off for a while.

roll on april 6th for Malayasia honeymoooon.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

chatting with my friend who is in colombia.

jealous.

drinking on the streets every day, playing games and tunes with whoever walks past, beach, jungles and extreme sports,
and everyone is single and gorgeous.

he is blonde hair, blue eyes and says its pussy paradise. :lol:
he is telling me to come over.

ARGH.
quick

Post by quick »

Fents wrote:mine were $800 each when i got them done about 10 years ago. got 6 of the barsteads fuck me was i paying them off for a while.

roll on april 6th for Malayasia honeymoooon.
10 years ago? does that mean you need them re-done soon?
deviant

Post by deviant »

you will cease to be a squirrel if you get veneers steve
quick

Post by quick »

lol
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

LA is okay ... there's a bit of stuff to do but you need to stay within West Hollywood or Venice Beach ... LA burbs are straight outta GTA4 ... very ghetto. Make sure you go to The Standard Hotel which is on Sunset near the Chateau Marmont ... great poolside bar with table tennis table. There's also a good Tuesday night called Cinespace which is around Hollywood Blvd ... plus Metal Skool - http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profil ... skool.html - which I didn't make it to but friends have and said it's the awesome (I guess you need to like and/or appreciate hair metal)

if you're in Austin in March you'll be there when sxsw is on ... www.sxsw.com

lots of bands on - http://www.sxsw.com/music/shows/bands
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

shepherd wrote: LA is okay ... there's a bit of stuff to do but you need to stay within West Hollywood or Venice Beach ... LA burbs are straight outta GTA4 ... very ghetto.
Yeah kinda been wondering where the divisions between dodgy and safe start and finish.
shepherd wrote: The Standard Hotel which is on Sunset near the Chateau Marmont ... great poolside bar with table tennis table. There's also a good Tuesday night called Cinespace which is around Hollywood Blvd ... plus Metal Skool - http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profil ... skool.html - which I didn't make it to but friends have and said it's the awesome (I guess you need to like and/or appreciate hair metal)
Thanks for the tips, not so much into hair metal as such but that looks like fun anyway.

shepherd wrote: if you're in Austin in March you'll be there when sxsw is on ... http://www.sxsw.com
That's why we are going :D
nic

Post by nic »

x2 west hollywood imo
gay capital, totally mdma doof doof pass me teh amyl house music.
boof bif boof bif boof bif boof bif boof bif bosh. omg whats your name do you want a sparkling water, lets have some coke, i dont noramally do this kind if thing but you are soooo interesting etc

go to getty center as well, dont bother looking inside though as its really boring, but it has the best views of the la basin you will get.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

farking lol @ nic - sounds like the sort of bar where they push your stool in gently.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Blaxter wrote:push your stool in gently.
good lord.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

The good lord frowns upon such behaviour apparently....
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

so they would have you believe
retzie

Post by retzie »

Fucken lolnic :lol:

I like that you went there and the one gig I made it to in LA was on my own, in the middle of the fully industrial part of central, which I may or may not have walked to. I then proceeded to spend much of the night dancing in front of a room full of locals lurking in the shadows. No-one offered me sparkling water :(
gnat

Post by gnat »

might go to tas this year. bay of fires walk and the like. when's the best time to go? bloody cold most of the time eh.

i hear there's a mad lodge at bay of fires- luxuro ftw. defo up for that if i'm going to be smashing all that walking
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

booked a lush holiday house in dayelsford with spa on the balcony for 15 peeps for my 30th in the middle of winter, YAY
any reccomendations on which hot springs, other things to do, good pub grub up there?

also heading to adelaide in a few weeks for family, friends visit from london, and a bit o the fringe.

bali trip postponed till after april due to school schedule, and am now thinking of not teaching semester two and heading to bali for a month after my bday.

gnat my friends who live there say spring is best time to visit tassie, loads of wildflowers and moderate temps...?
it is fekkin freezing most of the time down there, but you wont be cold if your hiking!
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Has anyone been to Narooma???? Accom ideas?? Got a wedding there in Nov.... and on da hunt...
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

My grandparents used to live in Narooma. Really pretty, beaches are awesome. Often have dolphins cruising around. Im not sure of much accomodation, stayed with them most of the time. :D I do remember having to walk back to theirs blind and there was this monster of a hill. Lucky I was so drunk or I swear my lungs would have collapsed :lol: Oh and the local RSL/Pub thing had (not sure now, its been years) a Wonder Boy Game in the bistro! Memories ey.

Think ive decided on next destination!! Cuba, San Fran, Jamaica and Puerto Rico. Half the fun of this travelling business is picking where to go. :blob: 8)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

my friend just came back from cuba, and fucking loved it. old cars, great buildings, lovely locals.
rum rum rum in the sun sun sun. sounds like a great intinerary lilmiss!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Excellent, thats always good to hear. Think im going to add Burning Man into that too. fuck it hey, you only live once so they tell me :wink:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

fuck yes, from what i hear burning man has a possibility of not being around too much longer, so i say get there while you can!
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

These $1500 dollar flights to europe are breaking my balls.

Amsterdam and Berlin are like "Hey Arlo, Get the fuck back here!!"
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

SO DO EET!

well all be here when you get back! ;)
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

I know.. I'm sure you will be, I'm not really worried about that
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:booty:
nic

Post by nic »

berlin imo
bike rides in park
german biftas
beer
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

LOL @ german biftas.

yeh berlin is mad.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
menace

Post by menace »

vilanova is the new Barcelona ...watch out .... awesome place

you hear it hear first
gnat

Post by gnat »

hmm dubious tbh menace. you put me onto that glasvegas album and it was arses

will give you one more benefit of the doubt..

we're looking at spain/ portugal month long bender at the mo

heading to jervis bay in oct, never been, they claim the whitest sand in the world. gots mad house rihgt on beach with views from every room- can watch dolphins surfing waves from bed- yeh yeh gimme
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss