The Travel Thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

nhd wrote:i keep hearing bad things about barcelona, aka pickpockets n all that shit.

is this just hype, do i just have to watch myself really close? i really wanna go, but my minds in a bad place.
the truth is truth, but trust. GO TO BARCELONA.

Yes, there is a certain madess there. But that it the beauty of it. If you can handle yourself it is no worry. You may get robbed, maybe, not likely, but maybe, it happens a bit, but you can;t have one with out the other. The writing is on the wall BARCALOCO!! IT IS NEVER GOING TO STOP.

Stay at Kabul, lock your shit up, take 20 euro out with you, be smart. If you loose your shit, head to the midnight market and buy your shit back that night. :lol:

I loved Barca. Shots Bar!!!!
nhd

Post by nhd »

his eyes are pop lockin!!!

chains for everything.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

absolutely, nhd. i donated my phone to it, and it was still immensely worthwhile.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Barça, Barça, Barça! (do it!)
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

do it. i've got a mate going to live and study there for a year. :( so jealous. had the intention of going there but cannae affords it.

if the options there you'd be crazy not to go anywhere imo. pickpockets or not, i'd head to rio in a heartbeat if i could, and that's one of the main stories i've heard about the place.

your decision is made i beleive. :D
nhd

Post by nhd »

i was always going to go!
witty_pseudonym

well that'll learn me for not reading the whole discussion then. :oops:
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

If anyone is interested (or even bored at work) I have put some photos up from my time in China on my blog of the trip at: http://heley.blogspot.com

:)
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Polecat wrote:If anyone is interested (or even bored at work) I have put some photos up from my time in China on my blog of the trip at: http://heley.blogspot.com

:)
They and your stories are rad PC :love:
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

aaww shucks!! :D *blush*
witty_pseudonym

all i can saw is WOW PC! great photos. has shifted china up my list. think i might try and work it into my trip this year. *dream*
numz

Post by numz »

Just booked my ticket back to London...

Its gonna be cool being in Europe for the World Cup.

Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia & Bosnia, Croatia and Czech Rep... and Denmark. Maybe.

If anyone's got any "hidden gems" feel free to disclose...
huh
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

numz wrote:Just booked my ticket back to London...

Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia & Bosnia, Croatia and Czech Rep... and Denmark. Maybe.

:D awesome.. :love:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

two questions i would like answered re travelling overseas:

- camera - i want to get one for my trip. which would be better, a digital camera or standard film camera? i am leaning towards film camera cos all i will need to worry about is buying film for it and not having to charge it up etc. Cool thing about digital though is that you can see the pic once you have taken it.

- money - i have quite a bit saved in my opinion for this trip, which i thought i would not need to use all of it. I have spoken to some people and are getting mixed views on the cash front i.e. yes i will spend all of it; nah i should be sweet as. We plan on going cheaply with hostels and food for this trip.

:D
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Go with a digital camera. Film processing is so expensive, and you'll get more out of the "new technology" in the long run. If you want a film-based SLR, then pick one up second hand for cheap!

The BF has a digital, and has travelled with it without problem (except for losing it). The charger takes up not much space, having 2 memories cards is a good idea, and using rechargable batteris is good too. Then you just need adapters for the plugs where you go.... he has a Universal adapter kit.

Just don't do what my sister did, and have an "accident" with the camera and wipe out all your photos of your time in some place, in her case the Great Wall of China and Vietnam. :(
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

can u even buy film cameras anymore???

:teef:
one more medicated peacefull moment
www.dubstep.com.au
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Cheers PC :D the losing the pictures does scare me too, but i guess you can do the same with normal cameras too. Food for thought on what you have said so far, though i do like actual pictures i must say.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

I should be in Hungary around Christmas time..

its gonna be insane! :D
...and basically that's the situation
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Lizkins wrote:two questions i would like answered re travelling overseas:

- camera - i want to get one for my trip. which would be better, a digital camera or standard film camera? i am leaning towards film camera cos all i will need to worry about is buying film for it and not having to charge it up etc. Cool thing about digital though is that you can see the pic once you have taken it.

- money - i have quite a bit saved in my opinion for this trip, which i thought i would not need to use all of it. I have spoken to some people and are getting mixed views on the cash front i.e. yes i will spend all of it; nah i should be sweet as. We plan on going cheaply with hostels and food for this trip.

Camera: Digital. too many reasons. If you dont have one, get either a) a small cheap one that is easy to carry, dont worry to much
b) a nice SOny one with big screen, handy for showing people your pics along the way. Big screen is good.

Money: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you come home with any money, you did not have a good enough time. :wink: :twisted:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

DBoy wrote:
Lizkins wrote:two questions i would like answered re travelling overseas:

Camera: Digital. too many reasons. If you dont have one, get either a) a small cheap one that is easy to carry, dont worry to much
b) a nice SOny one with big screen, handy for showing people your pics along the way. Big screen is good.

Money: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If you come home with any money, you did not have a good enough time. :wink: :twisted:

cheers for the money part DBoy :roll: :P :lol: am trying to make sure i don't come home with complete empty pockets and then be upset about it for months. not worth the stress.

sooo digital camera so far aye.

its a shame cos i was starting to fall in love with this little guy

DBoy

Post by DBoy »

fuk that. I can back about 5K or more in the red. can assure you i was not upset about it for months, I just knew that I had been places I prolly never go again, and did not miss an opportunity. No point in sitting back saying, "oh I wish i could go out tonight here in this exotic place, but i can't because i dont want to spend money". Just do it.
quick

Post by quick »

DBoy wrote:fuk that. I can back about 5K or more in the red. can assure you i was not upset about it for months, I just knew that I had been places I prolly never go again, and did not miss an opportunity. No point in sitting back saying, "oh I wish i could go out tonight here in this exotic place, but i can't because i dont want to spend money". Just do it.
exactly...
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

DBoy wrote:fuk that. I can back about 5K or more in the red. can assure you i was not upset about it for months, I just knew that I had been places I prolly never go again, and did not miss an opportunity. No point in sitting back saying, "oh I wish i could go out tonight here in this exotic place, but i can't because i dont want to spend money". Just do it.

yeah yeah i know all that, its not like i want to stop myself from doing and seeing stuff, i just will be considering much cheaper options. Anyways, i was more trying to guage how much people spent when overseas. i have never been and therefore have no idea on this.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

I've spent different amounts in differences places, but have since learnt the "oh fuck it" attitude to travel and spending. The rule of thumb we used in Vietnam & China was 1) What does it cost at home? 2) What does it cost here? 3) How much am I prepared to spend?

That rule helps work out what you want to pay for something, whether it is a meal, a trip to a museum or a train trip to a different town.

My first trip to Europe was for work. They gave me $7K to take in funds and being my first OS trip I was extremely cautious with the funds, so much so I slept in hotel rooms as big as closets, and ate very cheap/minimally. I had to give them back 4K when I came home :( In hindsight I was an idiot, who could have travelled more comfortably for 3 months, but I didnt know. Do NOW!

Take a little calculator to help you get a hold of conversion rates & keep an eye on your bank balance via internet banking.
Last edited by Polecat on Tue May 23, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

Lizkins wrote:

yeah yeah i know all that, its not like i want to stop myself from doing and seeing stuff, i just will be considering much cheaper options. Anyways, i was more trying to guage how much people spent when overseas. i have never been and therefore have no idea on this.
Hi Liz

It all depends on where you are going and what your agenda is.. :wink:

I can't remember exactly how much my trip last year cost me. I think it was around $12-15k.

That covered airfairs to/from and around EU, tickets to 2 music festivals, loads of partying!!, little bit of shopping, accommodation, food etc.. for two months.

Also covered me for 2 months rent and bills at home as i took the entire time as unpaid leave.

I spent a month in Spain/Portugal.. pretty cheap there :D My 3 trips to London were heavy on the wallet :shock:

Give me a buzz, happy to offer any advice 8)
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ahhhh you guys are rad! Thank you so much PC and Fi :D :D :D

That helps a lot! I have a bit over $7k for plane ticket and accommodation, food, shopping and partying (i figure that will be reduced due to my head problem, so that is handy).

So far my travel part is $2,300 and i have a $500 voucher from Qantas to also use on that. So i roughly have about $5k for a month. I will also be getting paid from work so rent and bills at home will be looked after no sweat.

I think i will be okay from what i worked out from your expenditure Fi, cheers so much babe :D And thanks for the tip PC :D
numz

Post by numz »

Mellogs wrote:

its gonna be cold!

I'll be back by the end of our shit weather...
huh
lynt

Post by lynt »

numz wrote:
Mellogs wrote:

its gonna be cold!

When are you over there man?
numz

Post by numz »

Fly out Melbourne to London 20th June, spend maybe 2 weeks from then in London... catch up with mates and all... cram in some shit I slacked on last time. Then a round trip through eastern europe before coming back to London to fly back home. Return mid September. Nothings really set in concrete but my ticket out.
huh
witty_pseudonym

might be going to china en route to india!!
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Do it!!! I only saw a tiny bit of that massive country but its primed me for more! It's truely exciting there, and while the travelling can be a bit rough it's worth it. :D

I'm wondering about doing India next :D
A visit to Udaipur would rock my world.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

witty_pseudonym wrote:might be going to china en route to india!!
do it tash, do it!
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
menace

Post by menace »

Lizkins wrote:ahhhh you guys are rad! Thank you so much PC and Fi :D :D :D

That helps a lot! I have a bit over $7k for plane ticket and accommodation, food, shopping and partying (i figure that will be reduced due to my head problem, so that is handy).

So far my travel part is $2,300 and i have a $500 voucher from Qantas to also use on that. So i roughly have about $5k for a month. I will also be getting paid from work so rent and bills at home will be looked after no sweat.

I think i will be okay from what i worked out from your expenditure Fi, cheers so much babe :D And thanks for the tip PC :D

thats heaps you will be sweet !!!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

menace wrote:
Lizkins wrote:ahhhh you guys are rad! Thank you so much PC and Fi :D :D :D

thats heaps you will be sweet !!!

:smt023 cheeers Menace :D
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

fark! need to save!
www.dubstep.com.au
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

Need incentives to save?

it is 0130 in seville.
it is 26 degrees
this was a cold day...

last weekend saw stantons and evil 9.
tomorrow tool
next weekend Eargasm@Fabric
Then Sonar...
etc ad nauseum

so push those pennies into the piggy bank and hop over to the happening continent!

8) 8) 8)
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

im moving to barcelona.
www.dubstep.com.au
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

:shock: are you being serious?
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

wishfull thinking liz!

huhuh
www.dubstep.com.au
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

oh good, i was going to get upset then, don't do that to me Hughbert!
Ag3nT[]0raNg3
old boy

Post by Ag3nT[]0raNg3 »

i wouldnt leave u liz.

yet
www.dubstep.com.au
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Ag3nT[]0raNg3 wrote:i wouldnt leave u liz.

yet

:P :lol: :D
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

dengelman wrote:Need incentives to save?

it is 0130 in seville.
it is 26 degrees
this was a cold day...
Ahhh.. Seville. It got to 48'C when is was there.. :shock: :D

Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Mt Everest is a travel destination very much in the news at the moment.

I have been following the stories in the Age of the:
1/ Double amputee Kiwi Mark Inglis who summited Mt Everest
2/ the dying Briton,David Sharp, who Inglis along with 40 other people passed on the way up the summit
3/ Fellow Kiwi and first person to climb Everest Edmund Hillary slamming the amputee Kiwi for leaving the dying man there and not trying to rescue him
4/ An Aussie, Lincoln Hall, dying on the mountain yesterday. He was in a travelling group with Christopher Harris who at fifteen years old is attempting to become the youngest person in history to climb Mt Everest.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=103527
http://www.climbing.com.au/news/news.php

In the 2006 season, a record number of climbers - 15 - have died on Everest.
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

numz wrote:
Mellogs wrote:

its gonna be cold!

hehe, thats why I'm staying in Thailand for 2 weeks after a stint in Germany.
:wink:
...and basically that's the situation
witty_pseudonym

climing everest is the new black it would seem.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Glad that Aussie guy turned up alive though after a night on the top of Everest. He must be a tough one!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

numz wrote:Fly out Melbourne to London 20th June, spend maybe 2 weeks from then in London... catch up with mates and all... cram in some shit I slacked on last time. Then a round trip through eastern europe before coming back to London to fly back home. Return mid September. Nothings really set in concrete but my ticket out.
So jealous mate! Dropped the folks off at the airport Friday night - they're heading off to England and then Italy for 5 weeks. It's the first time they've been overseas since their honeymoon in Fiji almost 26yrs ago - good on 'em!

So wish I was going soon.... :cry:
lynt

Post by lynt »

numz wrote:Fly out Melbourne to London 20th June, spend maybe 2 weeks from then in London... catch up with mates and all... cram in some shit I slacked on last time. Then a round trip through eastern europe before coming back to London to fly back home. Return mid September. Nothings really set in concrete but my ticket out.
Mad, we gots to hook up.
numz

Post by numz »

lynt wrote:
Mad, we gots to hook up.
our dates coordinate? sure thing then cobber... think I leave for Krakow early July... but if timings right, then Bar Vinyl, Camden. We neck 'em. I'll PM email.
huh