Ban on smoking vs Suitability as Licensed Premises

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
gnat

Post by gnat »

almax wrote:i <3 cancer

:teef:
lol

what's with the colour red ulyssian? do you smoke cowboy durries? malboro reds?

i sneaked in a couple of cheeky darts before the midnight curfew satdee but haven't smoked again since. fark it was lovely tho- i lovvve smoking! canae breathe tho and were costing a fortune so gotta stick with it

reckon i've saved 200 bucks in the past three weeks since i stopped
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I was in a bar yesterday having a beer and reached for my ciggies about 4 times

DOH
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i woke up Sunday morning thinking about it.

I didn't go out Saturday night, and i am kinda peeved i didn't. Still, i put in a mighty effort on Thursday night staying out til 2:30am and smoking a shite load.

gotta say i am happy its happened, but there is still going to be those times i would just like to sit in my local with a drink and a cigarette. i will miss that a lot.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Haven't stepped foot in a bar yet. Not sure how I'll go.

Was at Crown last night to see Transformers and realised it's a fucking long walk from where I was to where i could schmoke. Never, know I'll probably get fit doing this :lol:

that was so not funny :smt009
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

ulyssian wrote:
Mixy wrote:No maybe's about it D, or it won't happen. Hypnotherapy is good but if you don't want to quit you may not have success just by going under.
Bitch stole ma $396!!!!!!!!!!!

:oops: I'm shit, but I have cut back!!!
oh no! so are you going back to her then to get your money back??
im not buying anymore, rollies are it (and i dont like em that much)
well seeeee...

and saturday night we smoked all night where i was at, it is really gonig to be hard to not share spliffs on the dancefloor, that should stil be allowed IMO!
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

lynt wrote:Played Revolver Sunday morning, no smoking... I kind of liked it. Chewed gum, had a few moments but 10.15 came to the rescue, and we smoked outside. But from smoking the usual 10 to 15 on a Sunday morning to 3 (one there, one outside, one on way home), I'm down.

Clothes didn't stink, dancefloor wasn't destroyed as usual, no unusual smells, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Nice. How is the rest of Revolver dealing with it?

I am in Ireland where this has been the fact for 2 or more years. Bit different here though, cause bouncers etc bit more relaxed most of the time. I did go to one gig and went out for a smoke and missed most of the set cause i got distracted.

Can some one up date me on how the different venues doing? Who has got outside areas etc, just out of interest.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

My answer ended up a few posts up GK!

Went to a pool hall the other day.... smells funny :?

I'm buying an inhaler for this weekend!
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

DBoy wrote:Can some one up date me on how the different venues doing? Who has got outside areas etc, just out of interest.

bit too early to say I think

I don't know of any 'new' outdoor smoking areas that have sprung up since July 1, but I've noticed that places that do have them are now advertising them alot more than they used to
mrj

Post by mrj »

ulyssian wrote:My answer ended up a few posts up GK!

why not get a FUNHALER?

http://www.visiomed.com.au/products/funhaler.php
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

mrj wrote:
ulyssian wrote:My answer ended up a few posts up GK!

why not get a FUNHALER?

http://www.visiomed.com.au/products/funhaler.php
Just prick holes on both sides, tie around your neck and your ready for fun at Teebee.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Funny to see them light incense in Bunker Sat night... did smell a bit like socks when I first got there :x
deviant

Post by deviant »

isn't insense smoke and therefore bad too?? :?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Yeah, pretty sure anything burnt contains carcinogenic agents.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

DBoy wrote: Can some one up date me on how the different venues doing? Who has got outside areas etc, just out of interest.
Personally I was out three times last week, compared to my normal zero.

Loving it. Spent Saturday and Sunday drinking beers, playing pool and watching the footy at the pub - and my clothes and hair weren't smoke ridden... awesome!

I noticed a baby in a pub the other day also - haven't seen that for a while, well, not in my neighbourhood anyway.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Did they check his ID?

:teef:

(sorry, lacking sleep...badly thought out jokes abound)
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Are you with child Ms. Mixie?

:mumjokeinsidetheride:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Now that's funny :lol:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well, as a smoker, i am loving it.

i am not loving standing outside in the 2 degrees WITHOUT my drink (come on venues, get your fuckin lisences sorted)

BUT i am loving not smoking nearly as much, like three cigs all night instead of 10-15 or more
and not smelling like smoke when i get home.

althuogh, last thursday at Lounge it was truly surreal having such clear air in here, i was riding the smoke machine all night to fill the room with the familiar haze hehehe
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I went for a smoke outside Miss Libertine on Saturday night only to find out you can no longer drink outside on the porch (well, not on that night anyway)

So, I can't even smoke & drink at the same time when I'm OUTSIDE.

So, I head back inside to finish my beer and I still have the ciggie & lighter in my hand.

About 2 minutes later, Keenie comes running up to me and tells me to put my ciggie out or I'll get into trouble.

I had lit the cig and started puffing away without even realising. 2nd nature styles

Looks like it'll take me a bit longer than I thought to get used to this, and I'll probably get kicked out & fined at a few places too

Bring on the Summer Beer Gardens..........and ciggies
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Mecka, CIA and myself were out Friday night and we managed to drink and smoke at every place bar the bowling joint.

We were at Rosarti, Miss Libertine's (porch) and Lounge (balcony).

done and done.

note to self though - wear warmer clothes. Lounge was the warmest on the balcony. I froze at Miss Libertine's but that was prob because we were not near a heater.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

no one is going to get general licenses for footpath drinking

there will be many (most) venues where you cant drink outside
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Lizkins wrote:Mecka, CIA and myself were out Friday night and we managed to drink and smoke at every place bar the bowling joint.

So you were smoking outside, or inside?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Direktor wrote:
Lizkins wrote:Mecka, CIA and myself were out Friday night and we managed to drink and smoke at every place bar the bowling joint.

So you were smoking outside, or inside?

technically outside i would say. Rosarti's has an extra room with doors open and heaters, Lounge have the balcony, and Miss Libs has the front veranda part.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Kool, and the Gang...

I'd be dirty as f*ck if people were blatantly smoking inside, thumbing their noses at the non-smoking massive.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

nah it wasn't like that, i was just joyous that i could still smoke and drink. though the warmth factor needs to improve, then i be oh so happy :grin:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Direktor wrote:Kool, and the Gang...

I'd be dirty as f*ck if people were blatantly smoking inside, thumbing their noses at the non-smoking massive.
Saw a couple of peeps smoking right at the front of the Teebee/Calyx gig, near the stage at the end of the night. Coulda been a j, but not sure. The chick right in front of them looked pissed orfff :evil:

No morality, no respect.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Lizkins wrote:
We were...........Miss Libertine's (porch)

done and done.

Maybe it was just last Saturday night, or maybe it was just me, but I definately wasn't allowed to drink AND smoke on the porch
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

breaksRbest wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
We were...........Miss Libertine's (porch)

done and done.

Maybe it was just last Saturday night, or maybe it was just me, but I definately wasn't allowed to drink AND smoke on the porch

that's weird aye. cos its completely open out there so you can smoke, and you can always drink in that part.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

one thing I notice here is that there are loads more families in the pubs. Not sure if it is a cultural thing, but will probably come back in Melbourne. I think that is great for families and local pubs.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

ulyssian wrote:
Mixy wrote:No maybe's about it D, or it won't happen. Hypnotherapy is good but if you don't want to quit you may not have success just by going under.
Bitch stole ma $396!!!!!!!!!!!

:oops: I'm shit, but I have cut back!!! But everytime I see the color red... it stands out a lot!!!!! (if you experience the hypno you will understand this comment)
i have had hypno and i have no idea what u are talking about.. it helped me quit the first time a bit.. but i quit this time just cold turkey and using a bit of mull munch in my joints.. it's all to easy
nic

Post by nic »

im not sure i like teh smoking ban.

too many unruly groups lingering outside places.

mainly the foyer to my building now gets filled with cunts smoking from the bar across the lane and i have to hustle through to get in.

time to rung the council again huhuhu.
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

same'o wrote:i have had hypno and i have no idea what u are talking about..
Oh, must be her thing then... the color red is supposed to be a color that reinforces that you are not a smoker anymore and that you wish to breathe clean pure air....... Red is everywhere! Damn it... makes me want to light up more now! Going to call her next week and tell her I was her 1% :( I like smoking :(
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

no i don't like going out now :(
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

I love the non-smoking thing. Made it SO much easier to kick the habit (Big Ups almost 2 weeks), and yeah, so I'm not the biggest fan of BO but hangover headaches are minor/non-event without the half a pack of durries and seven packs of passive. Plus clothes and hair don't need industrial dry cleaning post leaving club.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

It'd be a lot easier for us die-hards if you were allowed to bring your drink outside with you (I'm looking at you Miss L :? )

I get the reasoning behind it, but it just feels like a double shafting.
FoundationStepper

its not the venues to blame

they would all take footpath trading if they could get it
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Miss L's has a patio style arrangement. No drinks after 9pm. Not sure whether it was always like that or just after the smoking ban when more people are likely to lounge about outside.

Again, I understand it, I just don't like it :?
FoundationStepper

the other thing is the licensing police have been HARDCORE about not letting people use thier beer gardens etc after 9-11pm - usually from nosie concerns

sometimes with little basis in fact. one case went to VCAT to challenge it and the liquor licensing people had no clarified grounds for refusal - lost the case...

still 9pm is stupid - especially as there are kerbside cafes running till 11pm!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Bigups to the new laws!!!!
Marvs and I have been out once or twice EVERY weekend since their induction, which is massive for us couch dwellers.

Does seem a bit strange with the Miss L's outside bit though.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i still stank of ciggies after friday night. a good handfull of dicks were smoking on the floor too.

thought the sight of those scary bouncers would stop em but no.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

huge wrote:i still stank of ciggies after friday night. a good handfull of dicks were smoking on the floor too.

thought the sight of those scary bouncers would stop em but no.
True. Up to Miss L's to police it.

They need to bring in a rule where licensee's can be fined for allowing cigarette consumption within a licensed, enclosed area. That way there'd be more incentive for clubs to uphold the law.

As it stands, it's only the smokers who are liable to an on the spot fine.
This is stupid, as clubs could essentially offer a safe-haven for smokers - and boost patronage with a smoke friendly club. As soon as a council enforcement official enters the building and fines someone, bouncers could eject him for whatever reason they see fit and everyone can continue puffing.

It's illegal for a licensed venue to supply liquor to someone underage or intoxicated - shouldn't they also be responsible for keeping the environment safe and free from smoke?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Oh.... :oops:

When I first read about the new law in all the papers, there was no mention of penalties for licensees, only on-the-spot fines for punters.

I sit corrected.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Having said that, it sounds like it's pretty easy for a licensee to get out of the fine....
Vic Health wrote: Q8: Are there any defences?
Yes. The person in charge of the enclosed licensed premises at the time the smoking occurs will not be guilty of an offence if he/she can prove that they did not provide an ashtray, matches, lighter or any other thing designed to facilitate smoking and that:

they were not aware, and could not reasonably be expected to have been aware that smoking was occurring; or
they requested the person to stop smoking and informed the person they were committing an offence.
What a joke! As long as they don't have ash-trays out or light the punters dart up, all they have to do is ask them to put it out and then move on, regardless of wether they actually butt out or not.

Taken from link above.
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

i have to say i liked the no smoking, my eyes didn;t sting, my throat was great and best of all my clothes and hair didn't smell.

Although i was not loving smelling all the farts! eeeewwww there were some pretty nasty ones dropped on Sat night
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

im enjoying it too, as a smoker.
i go home only having smoked half or less than half of what i might have otherwise.

clothes still smell like smoke from being relegated to somkers quarters.

and im waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.

still gutted about no dancefloor spliffs tho > should be a clasue to allow that i think.

:wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ghetto kitty wrote: still gutted about no dancefloor spliffs tho > should be a clasue to allow that i think.
Would be nice.
spiral

Post by spiral »

time for dancefloor herbal teas
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Direktor wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote: still gutted about no dancefloor spliffs tho > should be a clasue to allow that i think.
Would be nice.

lol Direktor, can't have it both ways. i hate the smell of spliffs now. Happy they can't be smoked inside. But i would allow em in if smokers could have a nice little inside corner to smoke too...

People at my work retreat reckon i was aiming on Hypothermia and Emphysema the other night when smoking outside. It was dang cold. Why won't someone think of the smokers :razz:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Lizkins wrote:
Direktor wrote:
Would be nice.

lol Direktor, can't have it both ways.
I don't want it both ways m'dear.

Strictly hetro over here. :wink:

Ha! Nah, more than happy to take the good with the bad....