2am Lockouts

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

ghetto kitty wrote:' all clubs are exempt'
Please explain??
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
deviant

Post by deviant »

inpress had a piece in the "arse end" about how they'd turned down the vic gov't advertising for the lockout...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

andy_hoffman wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:' all clubs are exempt'
Please explain??
oh sorry...my mistake. too many times typing the same words atm.

the ad said 'all clubs are lockout from june 3rd"

which is total bullshit as 130 are now exempt.
deviant

Post by deviant »

beat are too money hungry obviously, shame for puting ad in for the gov't....

I will only be advertising in inpress from now on. For serious.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

apparently they person just put the ad in without realising the ramifications.
but it did not make me happy.

unfortunately there is a much longer lounge/beat realtionship than the one I have been trying to maintain. so ill still be advertising there.

but i have a long history with furst media, and it has not gotten any better.

:?

inpress has been amazing when it comes to support for venues, information about lockout, attending all the meetings etc, and I have told them so.

the superior paper imho. better writers, more integrity, more love in general.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Both street presses suck arse.
As a punter its fustrating to only read about events that have advertised with them.
Cash for editorial is shit.
end rant/ hijack
deviant

Post by deviant »

there are free gig lists in both mags dude, I've used them for years
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Agree.

I don't like the way both rags are run, in terms of editorials, features and photos ONLY going to those who take out ad's.

Especially Beat.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I got all the time in the world for Inpress. AJ's a dude who's helped me out in a big way in the past. Nature of the beat though if ya gotta advertise big. I let clubs handle this side of things now and just play music...hopefully this will continue and the lockout wont kill this scene I love so much.

On a brighter note...

I finally scored a vinyl copy of Gary Numan 'Cars'...

YES!!!

8)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Yup

Inpress/Win
Beat/Fail
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
mrj

Post by mrj »

obliveus wrote:I got all the time in the world for Inpress. AJ's a dude who's helped me out in a big way in the past. Nature of the beat though if ya gotta advertise big. I let clubs handle this side of things now and just play music...hopefully this will continue and the lockout wont kill this scene I love so much.

On a brighter note...

YES!!!

8)
FUCKING LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockin tune

The thing about Gary Numan is, not only is he a rockstar but he also has a pilots licence, imagine that!
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

deviant wrote:there are free gig lists in both mags dude, I've used them for years
Oh fucken good one. At least you acknowledge its paid editorial or what do they call it these days advertorial.

So I get to read a gig listing, that tells me whole fucken lot. What about the interviews, previews, reviews. So half a page of listings and do you think thats worth picking up a magazine.

How about I get to hate on something (as a punter) and you worry about how many people aren't going to your club nights (as promoter).

So quick to fucken have a go or be smart on here.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

mrj wrote:
obliveus wrote:I got all the time in the world for Inpress. AJ's a dude who's helped me out in a big way in the past. Nature of the beat though if ya gotta advertise big. I let clubs handle this side of things now and just play music...hopefully this will continue and the lockout wont kill this scene I love so much.

On a brighter note...

YES!!!

8)

rockin tune

The thing about Gary Numan is, not only is he a rockstar but he also has a pilots licence, imagine that!
So does the singer from Iron Maiden, in fact he flew the whole band around the world in 747 for their recent tour.

Back to hijacked topic
Interesting how the punters are saying somethign about the local street press, theres a lockout crisis and promoters try to convince us that one of the street press does them favours. Right on.
deviant

Post by deviant »

HAHAHAHA LOL

I wasn't being smart.... I was making a point that I email my gigs to them each week and they appear in the what's on gig-guide.....

bsides, you are THE WORST person on here for being a smartass and even giving shit in promotional threads, so pull ya head in lol

why should a business give you exposure for free? They aren't a charity... a free gig list is pretty generous considering the amount they usually charge for a small ad.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Blaxter wrote:
mrj wrote:

On a brighter note...

YES!!!

8)

rockin tune

So does the singer from Iron Maiden, in fact he flew the whole band around the world in 747 for their recent tour.

Back to hijacked topic
Interesting how the punters are saying somethign about the local street press, theres a lockout crisis and promoters try to convince us that one of the street press does them favours. Right on.
U havin a go at me? I hope not, cuz Inpress came in at the last second for Melbourne Breaks Unite (a benefit for Starlight Foundation) and gave us a lot of coverage, interviews, profiles, etc without getting paid until well after the event. Not saying they did it for the love, but Beat wouldn't give us anything without the money on the table first. Told me to ask Starlight Foundation for it. As stated, I got all the time in the world for Inpress and I know they're a money making publication and are in it for the money. But they conduct themselves in a much better way IMO. Not trying to convince anyone, just stating my opinion...like you've done.

:roll:
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

obliveus wrote: Inpress came in at the last second for Melbourne Breaks Unite (a benefit for Starlight Foundation) and gave us a lot of coverage, interviews, profiles, etc without getting paid until well after the event. Not saying they did it for the love, but Beat wouldn't give us anything without the money on the table first.

:scr1pt: for Beat Aid AND Fire Aid
mrj

Post by mrj »

obliveus wrote:
Blaxter wrote:
mrj wrote: FUCKING LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockin tune

Back to hijacked topic
U havin a go at me? I hope not, cuz Inpress came in at the last second for Melbourne Breaks Unite (a benefit for Starlight Foundation) and gave us a lot of coverage, interviews, profiles, etc without getting paid until well after the event. Not saying they did it for the love, but Beat wouldn't give us anything without the money on the table first. Told me to ask Starlight Foundation for it. As stated, I got all the time in the world for Inpress and I know they're a money making publication and are in it for the money. But they conduct themselves in a much better way IMO. Not trying to convince anyone, just stating my opinion...like you've done.

Um well I'm not sure if that was aimed at me but I sure as shit wasn't having a go, i was being sincere. Cars is a rocking tune and gary numan is a legend.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mrj wrote:Um well I'm not sure if that was aimed at me but I sure as shit wasn't having a go, i was being sincere. Cars is a rocking tune and gary numan is a legend.
:lol:
Nah, not you, my man. My post was aimed at the other person, whom I dont know, nor have I sold records to. :wink:

I should've changed what I said to:

"I got all the time in the world for Inpress AND mrj"

U rock...so does Gary Numan!

8)
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

:wink:
Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

Man I think I'm glad I'm missing all this shit.

lockout = Headaches.

I've heard some scary rumors about Netherlands tho.
We won't be there untill july too. so, anything that changes at the end of teh FY, will affect us as punters.

good luck cats.

fight the good fight !
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Smile on Impact wrote:I've heard some scary rumors about Netherlands tho.
We won't be there untill july too. so, anything that changes at the end of teh FY, will affect us as punters.
no smoking inside, starting july.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Blaxter wrote: Back to hijacked topic
it was actually me who brought up the street press, and it wasnt to point out how inpress will save our souls/scene, it was to ask if any punters on this site had noticed the govt ads in beat.

as a promoter who does take out quite a bit of advertising, its important to me to know if the public is aware of the political aspects of both mags, so that i can take that into account when assessing the value of spending $$ with them.

plus, show me one magazine or newspaper that will give an honest, unbiased article or interview, when there is NO advertising spend behind it, and ill go there and make them write about the stuff I do, for freeeeee!!
nic

Post by nic »

ban blaxter for his bad attitude imo
ruining teh scene tbh

what happened to little evil anyhow? i heard he is behind the 2am lockout :shock:
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

nic wrote:ban blaxter for his bad attitude imo
ruining teh scene tbh

what happened to little evil anyhow? i heard he is behind the 2am lockout :shock:
nic

Post by nic »

:smt005
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

deviant wrote:HAHAHAHA LOL

I wasn't being smart.... I was making a point that I email my gigs to them each week and they appear in the what's on gig-guide.....

bsides, you are THE WORST person on here for being a smartass and even giving shit in promotional threads, so pull ya head in lol

why should a business give you exposure for free? They aren't a charity... a free gig list is pretty generous considering the amount they usually charge for a small ad.
So you can send an email but you can't read a thread.

I don't want to send promotional shit to anybody.

I'm speaking as a punter. You know what they are. People who go to gigs.

I don't want free exposure. I just want to read about cool stuff, not shit that has bought editorial space.
Scotrod

Post by Scotrod »

The street press papers are a free magazine. So of course it's gonna be ALL about advertising. It's just essentially a really big flyer with some stories in there to make you pick it up and read it.
deviant

Post by deviant »

right........ :?

edit: what scott said is spot on.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

the difference between inpress and beat is that leigh at inpress understands the value of relationships, nurturing the hand that feeds and 2 way support ... whereas Furst Media are more concerned with revenue and relationships are defined by spend.

Neither is right/wrong ... Beat are pretty sensible commercially to not say no to Vic Govt advertisements. They would pay full rate and no doubt advertise across Furst's other publications ... saying no to them would potentially cause revenue issues in future with that piece of business. I also think Rob has been around long enough to know that in a 2 paper town he will probably not lose much revenue from clubs/bars who choose to not use Beat because of this action.

It's interesting - I haven't seen any 2am ads on inthemix ... which no doubt Vic Govt would have wanted to place messages on. Will this impact on their spend moving forward on itm?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Blaxter wrote:I don't want free exposure. I just want to read about cool stuff, not shit that has bought editorial space.

so read the FREE gig listings. I really don't get your point?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Scotrod wrote:The street press papers are a free magazine. So of course it's gonna be ALL about advertising. It's just essentially a really big flyer with some stories in there to make you pick it up and read it.
Of course it is, which is what my post was about in the first place.
How many other punters apart from myself and Direktor can't stand the shambolic editorial policy of the street mags.
deviant

Post by deviant »

it's a FREE mag... not really grounds for a complaint.

pick up some other mag that has articles you are interested in then. :tard:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I can complain if I like.
Thought you would be interested as a promoter that punters find the street press utter bollox.
That is all. SAop harassing me Deviant.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I wonder if peeps would pay for a non biased mag?

Maybe even for as little as $1. Obviously there would be ad's in the mag, just as there are in any publication - and this would help to keep the costs down.

BUT, there would be INTEGRITY in the mag. Articles of substance.

And for that, I'd pay $1-2 a week - no worries.

I understand the logistics behind the free street press mags/rags, and that's cool. But, it doesn't mean I necessarily like them.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

shepherd wrote:
It's interesting - I haven't seen any 2am ads on inthemix ... which no doubt Vic Govt would have wanted to place messages on. Will this impact on their spend moving forward on itm?
yeah, i thought that too.
everyone on itm has been pretty vocal agaisnt the lockouts though,
maybe they figured it might be best not to feed the fire?

blaxter > make your own mag then, you and direkt can write about the five genres or artists you think the other papers dont cover.
im tired of everyone who isnt even in the industry telling those who are how it should be.
hobbyists can throw around criticisms very easily > printing and distribution alone means you wouldnt get a paper out there for your optimistic $1 or $2 direkt, without extra advertising.
and then there is the contributors.....

meh.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

i was dreaming of establishing a beat/inpress type mag in london for a while there. didn't seem to be much similar when i was there in '04...things may have changed now.

i remember when i first started going out, my mate and i would pick up a beat and scour the nights for anything breaks/dnb related. no idea of djs, venues or anything, we just wanted to get out there and soak it up. no way we would have found half the stuff we went to, and boy did we have some times! i'll always have a soft spot for them.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Direktor wrote:And for that, I'd pay $1-2 a week - no worries.

:lol:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Take it on the chin GK.
I'm not having a go at you or Deviant, allthough you both shoved it back at me pretty quick.
Whats the point of having a forum where people expecially punters can't have an opinion.
I think you both should get off your soap boxes.
At GK - I have done publications, I'm not interested in writing about the "5" artists that aren't covered by street press. Stop being so condedscending cause you "work in the industry" - fuck you don't even like "working in the industry".
Last edited by Blaxter on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Well the Herald Sun manages to get by on $1.10 an issue.

I know they have a MASSIVE readership, I was only floating an idea and trying to be constructive.

It wouldn't have to be a huge publication (with loads of content, contributors and glossy pages), there would be paid advertising in there, BUT the articles would have journalistic integrity.

No, I haven't done any sums - maybe $2 for a small weekly/bi-weekly newspaper style thang on the scene (with ads) wouldn't work - I don't know, and really - I don't care.

Just thinking aloud, no need for any knickers in a knot.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Blaxter wrote:Take it on the chin GK.
I'm not having a go at you or Deviant, allthough you both shoved it back at me pretty quick.
Whats the point of having a forum where people expecially punters can't have an opinion.
I think you both should get off your soap boxes.
At GK - I have done publications, I'm not interested in writing about the "5" artists that aren't covered by street press. Stop being so condedscending cause you "work in the industry" - fuck you don't even like "working in the industry".
who got pissed off first dude?
take what on the chin? i dont work for inpress.

ive been in the industry for a long time man,
theres things i like, and things i dont like.
but i do get tired of being told how to run things by people who dont actually run them.

thats all.

and direkt > no biggie, i was merely pointing out that ideals are exactly that. and many of them do get compromised when one is trying to run something sustainable.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I can understand your frustration GK.

But you're gonna get that in an online community such as this - 24/7 (people's 20c that is).

I've advertised in Beat/Inpress, written for Beat (and other publications) and been an avid reader for many years.

I have no problem with any publication doing whatever the hell it pleases - because:
A) if it's free, don't pick it up (or don't complain)
B) if it's not free, don't buy it.

All I was saying, was that I'd prefer to read (and pay for) something with a bit more integrity and honesty.

Goodtimes for all :D
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Direktor wrote: All I was saying, was that I'd prefer to read (and pay for) something with a bit more integrity and honesty.
so would i.
which is why when we only have two papers available to us, its good to examine the benefits of both.

thats all.

i was trying to find out if the punters on this site had noticed the ads, and what they thought about it.

but it seems only the promoters have constructive things to say about that particular situation.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

TBH, I don't think I mentioned the situation you highlighted.

I think it's good that they (Inpress) refused the Gov ad's - as ultimately they're protecting their customers.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

I heard this morning on JJJ that the lack of numbers at venues is resulting in artists not getting booked. This could have a pretty big impact on Melbourne's music scene if artists aren't getting work. :?
deviant

Post by deviant »

BS: you are simply being a massive negative nelly/whinger...

you are not offering constructive solutions to your gripe at all. It's plainly obvious why they mags do what they do. If you've got a better idea, then awesome.....

you seem to be hell bent on expressing your right to "hate on" something, yet you can't seam to take people's opposing views without accusing them of "being smart", "harrassing" or whatever.

as IF you are not having a go, 'specially with comments like this...
and you worry about how many people aren't going to your club nights (as promoter)
negative and shit-giving much?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

No one was having a go at you GK

I think you took it personally when it wasn't aimed at any one on this forum.

Yeah, I think its good that Inpress has some moral backbone, but their editorial lacks - that is all.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

BammBamm wrote:I heard this morning on JJJ that the lack of numbers at venues is resulting in artists not getting booked. This could have a pretty big impact on Melbourne's music scene if artists aren't getting work. :?
totally.

i am already passing on some artists that come my way, becasue of increased operational costs.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Dan, let it go mate. You chose to get up on my commenst/ opinioon as a punter.
Clearly you have other viewpoints a promoter but don't have a swipe at peeps on a forum who are offering their opinions. You could learn something, maybe.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Direktor wrote:I wonder if peeps would pay for a non biased mag?

Maybe even for as little as $1. Obviously there would be ad's in the mag, just as there are in any publication - and this would help to keep the costs down.

BUT, there would be INTEGRITY in the mag. Articles of substance.

And for that, I'd pay $1-2 a week - no worries.

I understand the logistics behind the free street press mags/rags, and that's cool. But, it doesn't mean I necessarily like them.
you don't need a mag/print media to do this. this could be done online without a price tag.

$1-2 will never be paid for an impartial publication by Melbourne punters ... and even so it would still require advertisements to remain viable (ie cover print, labour, distro, sales overheads) and hence will always have issues with total neutrality.

i am still shocked the core elements of street press haven't migrated online - those being gig guide and club guide as well as club photo's. These are the 2 things that fuel street press readership and relevancy ... and could be easily placed online, in a way that was more

- cost efficient
- environmentally friendly
- labour friendly - lower costs via CMS
- better user experience - integration of maps, aggregated data etc

Plus there is still an advertising model around it. Amazes me that people still utilise the same old dated gig guide/club guide format. The only point of difference it offers is it is available when you are out and about - hopefully mobile web/iphone etc will eliminate this with GPS based services and lower data costs.

end rant
deviant

Post by deviant »

Blaxter wrote:Dan, let it go mate. You chose to get up on my commenst/ opinioon as a punter.
Clearly you have other viewpoints a promoter but don't have a swipe at peeps on a forum who are offering their opinions. You could learn something, maybe.
the swipe was not due to you offering an opinion... it was due to you accusing me of being a smartass (which I don't believe I was doing).... then condescending to me about people not coming to my gigs etc etc,,,

your opinion is fine, your attitude is :tard:

I know I'm no better for arguing with you, but thb it's kind of amusing.

:teef: