Time to Grow Up

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mrj

Time to Grow Up

Post by mrj »

This may be viewed as unconstructive, or destructive or whatever, but I couldnnnnnt, so deal with it. Mods once this thread is up please feel free to delete it or lock it or whatever, I'm not looking for a debate here, or even responses, but I have something to say and believe I need to make it visible (mainly by starting a thread).

There seems to be at the moment a fair group mentality in relation to how people treat each other around here.

It seems that some people are becoming targets for abuse by others, and it simply just isn't on in my opinion.

It's really really easy to abuse someone over the internet, and its even easier to pick on someone who is already being picked on.

Its the same as what happens at schools. One kid cops it because all the other kids want to pick on someone and they know they can pick on that kid without fear of retribution. Its called bullying, and its abhorrent.

Enough is enough. This isn't some site where you can say whatever you want and expect to get away with it. It may just be the internerd, but most of us know each other in real life, and as such the opinions we post on here can have an impact on peoples lives. That might seem like a silly concept to some, but if one of my friends jumped on here and posted bad shit about me, I would be as hurt as I would be in real life, perhaps even more so due the public nature of the info.

so heres some golden rules IMO

- Don't post something that you wouldn't say to someones face
- Don't be a bully
- Be prepared to back up what you post with your actions in real life, because you may have to do so.
- Above all treat each other with respect

I know I am no pillar of moral virtue, this may even seem hypocritical, in fact almost certainly is becuse I think I have probably been guilty of this myself in the past. However I think its hitting all time highs recently and people need to start treating each other a bit better.

Ok I'm getting off my high horse now. As you were everyone.
[/b]
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
fooishbar

Re: Time to Grow Up

Post by fooishbar »

mrj wrote:so heres some golden rules IMO

- Don't post something that you wouldn't say to someones face
- Don't be a bully
- Be prepared to back up what you post with your actions in real life, because you may have to do so.
- Above all treat each other with respect
:scr1pt:
mrj wrote:I know I am no pillar of moral virtue, this may even seem hypocritical, in fact almost certainly is becuse I think I have probably been guilty of this myself in the past. However I think its hitting all time highs recently and people need to start treating each other a bit better.
completely agreed, from a personal pov.

the short version is: don't be a tool. if you think something you're saying is kind of toolish, then don't say it. easy peasy.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

well said mrj and very timely. :thumbup:

many lolcatz for you.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
gnat

Post by gnat »

giddy up mrj!

i know you're not a pillar of moral virtue for real

you're a mad khunt

currently on a pony

play nice kids
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
mecka

Post by mecka »

My fault. Push for ignore button plz.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Nice one MRJ.
I'm guilty of some p(r)etty heinous internet crimes in forums myself and it achieves nothing in the long run.
Ive met some rad people over mel.beats and youngkids.com and its so easy to make some one feel shit or get misunderstood without being blatantly rude.
Time out is a good chance for reflection about why/ hwat/ and how yuo are communicating on interweb.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

gnat wrote:giddy up mrj!

i know you're not a pillar of moral virtue for real

you're a mad khunt

currently on a pony

play nice kids
khunt status critical.

Edit... fucking lol at your sig.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

Totally agree with you in principle MRJ, although I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically unless its just the LE incident (I'm probably not reading the right posts).

Bottom line is that this forum is extremely conservative, and thats how the members like it. If people want things slighly more radical or challenging then they should find another forum to do it in. there are plenty out there.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

sneaky hands wrote:Totally agree with you in principle MRJ, although I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically unless its just the LE incident (I'm probably not reading the right posts).

Bottom line is that this forum is extremely conservative, and thats how the members like it. If people want things slighly more radical or challenging then they should find another forum to do it in. there are plenty out there.
I think he isn't referring to that so much as groups of peeps picking on individuals over a sustained period of time... it is starting to escalate...

Not so harry kewell
Last edited by C.I.A. on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

This is all o' so serious.....
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

C.I.A. wrote:
sneaky hands wrote:Totally agree with you in principle MRJ, although I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically unless its just the LE incident (I'm probably not reading the right posts).

I think he isn't referring to that so much as groups of peeps picking on individuals over a sustained period of time... it is starting to escalate...

Not so harry kewell
agreed. more leeds than liverpool.
universal sea

Post by universal sea »

Actions speak louder than words
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

universal sea wrote:Actions speak louder than words
YELLING speaks louder than actions.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

This is an internet forum. Words are all we have.

Aside from a few smileys :teef:
quick

Post by quick »

whats wrong with being short?

:teef:

nah, well said MrJ
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
deviant

Post by deviant »

I have a go at people on here all the time... I don't feel that it's bullying or mean, most people here know me and know that I love havin' a dig for a laff.
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

deviant wrote:I have a go at people on here all the time... I don't feel that it's bullying or mean, most people here know me and know that I love havin' a dig for a laff.
That kind of shit is all good. khunt.

:teef:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

true, but there's a difference between being flippant and being spiteful.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

deviant wrote:I have a go at people on here all the time... I don't feel that it's bullying or mean, most people here know me and know that I love havin' a dig for a laff.
the difference is really between the occasional dig between friends, and harassment. it's pretty obvious to all and sundry when a line's been crossed, so hopefully we're all adult enough to a) not do it, and b) sort it out. :)
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

I like what you say J.

I give shit too Dan, but I think something that we all have to remember is yeah, we know each other in person and can give shit to those people, but not everyone knows everybody else on here.

Some things I find funny coming from a friend, arnt going to have the same reaction coming from some random on a forum board. No-one can assume that someone wont be offended, or made to feel anything negative.

In every area of society now we have to be careful with what we say to co -workers, boss's, tram drivers, everyone, so why should the internet be any different. Doesnt mean you have to like it, but we have to respect it.

Big Ups J man :D
Fents

Post by Fents »

8)
paranoid edge

Post by paranoid edge »

black star wrote:
universal sea wrote:Actions speak louder than words
YELLING speaks louder than actions.
:smt043
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

well said J Man :smt023
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
deviant

Post by deviant »

You certainly have a valid and well articulated point J... despite my digs and shit giving I would never take part in what I consider to be bullying, I was a victim of bullying all through school and know only too well the damage it can do.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Fully, doesnt it suck man!

I was as well, ALL the way thru til Year 11. Coming home from school every day balling my freaking eyes out. Horrible times!

Interesting how theyve started that campaign to fuck bullies off. About time. School for so many people was a most horrendous experience.
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Fully, doesnt it suck man!

I was as well, ALL the way thru til Year 11. Coming home from school every day balling my freaking eyes out. Horrible times!

Interesting how theyve started that campaign to fuck bullies off. About time. School for so many people was a most horrendous experience.
Honey...really? i for one can see no reason as to why that would have been.
Besides how could Chicken be wrong?
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

sums up my primary school experience completely.

big ups J. had to be said and couldn't have been done so more eloquently or effectively, by anyone than your good self. that's a really convoluted sentence...but you get my drift.
Stray

Post by Stray »

black star wrote: Ive met some rad people over mel.beats and youngkids.com and its so easy to make some one feel shit or get misunderstood without being blatantly rude.
lol!
deviant

Post by deviant »

I had acute nausea almost everyday before school from year 5 through to year 8 or 9.... :(
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Charlie73 wrote:

:lol: Yeah, thanks babe.

Im glad for it tho, I was very shy and very reserved in what I would say (true!) I couldnt even stick up for myself back then. But then I grew up in my early twenties and sorted it out. All the bitches that picked on me then hate their lives now and have no idea how to do anything. So glad i had a shit school over shit life - school life a lot shorter!! :lol:

Ive wanted for so long to be able to go back to school, but be me now. B game on moles then wouldnt it! :wink:
Last edited by Lil MiSbreaks on Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Been toying with saying something but honestly, I'm completely lost for words.

see what i did there? har har
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:
Charlie73 wrote:

:lol: Yeah, thanks babe.

Im glad for it tho, I was very shy and very reserved in what I would say (true!) I couldnt even stick up for myself back then. But then I grew up in my early twenties and sorted it out. All the bitches that picked on me then hate their lives now and have no idea how to do anything. So glad i had a shit school over shit life - school life a lot shorter!! :lol:

Ive wanted for so long to be able to go back to school, but be me now. B game on moles then wouldnt it! :wink:
So true re: school days, my eldest nephew was being bullied big time, he also shy and quite, not into sports, loves art and to draw etc. I have tried to let him know that what peeps at school think of you means sweet FA, I see not one single person from school days at all, they not missed either.

Hell yeah school reunion would be nice, game on indeed!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i really hope this doesnt come across in the wrong way but here goes...

firstly, yes, mrj, all those points you raised are very commendable, and definately things that any society or community should aspire to.

to be able to speak freely without being attacked or judged for your opinions or beliefs is a beautiful thing, and , as it doesnt often happen in the real world, its nice to think there might be some little pockets we create for ourselves where this occurs more than bullying or slander or threats.

As much as i may not have been in the dnb/breaks scene for long, as much as many of you might think (and say)
'who the feck is this loud mouth kitty chick who comes on here and says all this shit"
i feel i have contributed to both this site and scene and hopefully been as diplomatic as possible. In other words, I hope you all feel i have the 'right' to say what im about to.

that said > there are OFTEN things that i talk about, beleive or share with the boards that are just too crude, too alternative, too left of centre, and i have often felt attacked for my own beliefs, even if im personally not being attacked.

some instances over the last year i can think of are
> the g20 protest
> beleifs about majick, astrology etc
> scene politics

now, all of these issues are HOT in the outside world as well, wars are fought, so of course there is gonig to be some back and forth, some heated calls of 'your so fucking wrong dammit!" etc.

but i cant help feelin like some of the members aruond here would gladly
see a few of us more opinionated and argumentative personalities leave,
so it can be all props and bigups and best food ever tips and stay safely away from the gripes and hardships of the outside world.
(hence everyone not really dealing with the occasional pessimistic burst from mecka, or the occasional taunt from LE, or the random 'you should have done this' advice to a promoter!)

dont get me wrong, the bigup thread is one of my faves, and im all for positivity over negativity ANY day, thats how i live.

but im also up for being REAL, and sometimes, that means shit hitting the fan.

i like MB.com.
i like many many of the people ive met in person from this site.

but I dont like censoring myself.
EVER.

im happy to not post nude pics of myself online (heheh)
and respect the rules and guidelines set out by joining this site.

but the recent banning of LE, and the follow up of a general 'grow up' consensus, i dunno, makes me wonder how safe and how tame im willing to be to still consider this a kind of 'home' for individuals the likes of me.

im still here, but im hesitant now.

does that make sense?
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

I read it as c*nty comments that are personally attacking certain members on here... like after every time they post... they get a snide remark.... just a one liner... or a quick joke between certain people on here ... It has been noticable here the past few weeks esp.... not witty comments, just down right c*nty ones. I don't like reading them and I feel for the person that they may be directed at.

(C*nty is my word for the day)!

Not so much as censoring comments.... each to their own interpretation I guess.... But I don't like it when peeps are personally set upon and put down.... you just never know what may be the last straw....

(G20.... interesting times eh G_Kitty... glad to smile about it now) x
gnat

Post by gnat »

oh kitty but those clay cunts really made me lol
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

I have been reading with interest, hence not responding as yet.

Some things I gotta say I would like cleared up, not arguing or whatever, just asking

Ignore button – what do people think of this idea?

see here from Feedback forum - http://melbournebeats.com/forum/viewtop ... d4564fc2c8

Sneaky Hands – conservative? really? because of less shit fights and nude pictures? or something else?

ac23 – with how the board is now set up, I thought you would be happier with how it is? Not the case though? I was thinking of yourself, Joe Seven and others who feel forums are a waste of space would be much happier with how it is set up now.

GK – your points and opinions were argued against, which may leave you to feel people are going against you, or ‘attacking’ you; but I have never seen anyone really what I would consider, bully you. You have a lot of people on here who have agreed with your opinions and beliefs in life. And yes, the only “censoring” would be no nude pictures, of either yourself or anyone else. Also, if you happen to be a racist bigot, that also gets a guernsey for keeping your opinions to yourself. I think that is pretty fair really.

There is a big difference between arguing an opinion or fact, and blatantly attacking someone, or constantly picking at their posts for fault etc.

sorry if I am wrong with any of the above. its just from my observations and opinions.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Who's got the pills?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Lizkins wrote: GK – your points and opinions were argued against, which may leave you to feel people are going against you, or ‘attacking’ you; but I have never seen anyone really what I would consider, bully you. You have a lot of people on here who have agreed with your opinions and beliefs in life. And yes, the only “censoring” would be no nude pictures, of either yourself or anyone else. Also, if you happen to be a racist bigot, that also gets a guernsey for keeping your opinions to yourself. I think that is pretty fair really.
liz > i was commenting on the members of the forum's attitudes towards controversial things, not on the forum 'rules'
i am not racist, and i said i havent been personally attacked.

but i do censor myself, and even more so now, in light of recent events.

thats what i was trying to point out.
its not about 'fair' or 'unfair', thats not what i was sayin at all....
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

ghetto kitty wrote:
Lizkins wrote: GK – your points and opinions were argued against, which may leave you to feel people are going against you, or ‘attacking’ you; but I have never seen anyone really what I would consider, bully you. You have a lot of people on here who have agreed with your opinions and beliefs in life. And yes, the only “censoring” would be no nude pictures, of either yourself or anyone else. Also, if you happen to be a racist bigot, that also gets a guernsey for keeping your opinions to yourself. I think that is pretty fair really.
liz > i was commenting on the members of the forum's attitudes towards controversial things, not on the forum 'rules'
i am not racist, and i said i havent been personally attacked.

but i do censor myself, and even more so now, in light of recent events.

thats what i was trying to point out.
its not about 'fair' or 'unfair', thats not what i was sayin at all....

hmmm i seem to be missing the point. i don't understand why you censor yourself? confused is i!
witty_pseudonym

because she's a loud mouth racist bigot that's why!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

i wasn't even meaning that btw, just to clarify. I know Kitty ain't those things. Hence why i am confused that she feels she has to censor herself.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

witty_pseudonym wrote:because she's a loud mouth racist bigot that's why!
lol! not even.
sneaky hands

Post by sneaky hands »

Lizkins wrote: Sneaky Hands – conservative? really? because of less shit fights and nude pictures? or something else?
what i meant is that the forum members tend toward conservative views, at least as expressed on here. There's a strong emphasis, although generally not explicitly enforced, on fitting in with the dominant paradigm.
This is not a criticism, it is what it is. its partly what defines a community.
Last edited by sneaky hands on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sneaky flow like cash flow
on the first of the month
for broke cats that's thirst for the blunt
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Kitty, do you mean that you censor yourself perhaps because you might cop a backlash from others???
So almost cutting it off before it happens? :D
witty_pseudonym

:lol:

mad love for the kitten chops. mad love for facetious comments too.

lolz

HATE CRIME!
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

sneaky hands wrote:
Lizkins wrote: Sneaky Hands – conservative? really? because of less shit fights and nude pictures? or something else?
what i meant is that the forum members tend toward conservative views, at least as expressed on here. There's a strong emphasis, although generally not explicitly enforced, on fitting in with the dominant paradigm.
This is not a criticism, it is what it is. its partly what defines a community.
yeah, been thinking on this, there generally is a sort of more followed opinion on something. but with all the peeps on here, and i know many, not one do i think follows the leader. they are all very opinionated (in their own way).

get what you mean though

cheers
quick

Post by quick »

yep... and lay off the WCE drug remarks when something is posted about them... they are so old and really annoying, Stray will attest to this. the comments are obviously trying to attack the poster, not the WCE. cheers.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ Are you for real Quick?
quick

Post by quick »

Direktor wrote:^ Are you for real Quick?
certain members have repeatedly commented on this issue just to get a rise out of me... which I don't appreciate. Anyones opinion is well valid, but if you only comment about it to shut me down when I have a big up about it, repeatedly, then thats just pathetic. Because in the end, the issue isn't about footy, it's about trying to frustrate or annoy the poster.
Last edited by quick on Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

sneaky hands wrote: what i meant is that the forum members tend toward conservative views, at least as expressed on here. There's a strong emphasis, although generally not explicitly enforced, on fitting in with the dominant paradigm.
thats kinda what i was gettin at.

LMB > yes, almost. i was all gung ho when i first came on here, and found that it didnt really wash with many people. so i temper myself often.

i dunno.

i just like walking the fine line.
im all for being PC and friendly to newcomers, and supporitve of the others on here.

i just think LE should be unbanned, and as i consider myself similar in views and ways of communicating them, now im scared of being banned too.
if some of you remember, i weas banned from my other online community last year for being outspoken, and in the end, there was more benefit to me contributing to the site than damage, so they unbanned me.

tis close to my heart.

it really hurts when your banned! no shit.

ceramic cunts FTW or STFU.