micoland / dead channel (UK)

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Andrez

micoland / dead channel (UK)

Post by Andrez »

Leeds-based dubstep/electro producer Micoland has a new release ("All Loop Traffic") out through this brilliant fledgling label (Dead Channel), run by the people behind the Dirtload Records label and the Gonzo crew in the UK.

I downloaded it yesterday (it's free, like all the Dead Channel stuff), and have the tracks on constant repeat since, though because I have an iPod shuffle, there's no screen, so I don't know which track is playing when. But it doesn't matter.

It's bloody brilliant.

One track is an '80s videogame/drum & bass mash-up that suddenly dives into an ethereal vocal-line and staggers your senses; another is dirty, metallic, liquid breaks that come across a shade menacing; there's a track that goes all bouncy electro-tech; still another track is abstractly chilled bliss.

At moments I'm reminded of Jeff Mills in his more chilled outings, perhaps messing around with Luke Vibert. At others there's the spirit of Tobias Schmidt in his Le Chimp Atomique phase. Mostly, though, I'm just impressed by how original, moving and cool the whole caboodle turns out to be.

Download it now here:

http://www.dead-channel.com/releases/channel007/

Lovely.
marke

Post by marke »

saw this when i was bored at work today...
i like these tunes.. 8)
nic

Post by nic »

interesting indeed
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

Awesome - great to hear! Turns out that Mick (Micoland) is a nice fella, too! Just started chatting with him via email after hearing this.