Studio Monitors

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Kaiproject

Studio Monitors

Post by Kaiproject »

Hey all

First off sorry if this is covered in another thread, feel free to point me to another/delete this etc...

Wanting to step up my production focus now, I've been using decent headphones and sometimes just my stereo setup (nice Denon receiver, refurb/rewired 1970s Bose 301s, sometimes in combo with others)...

Obviously neither are going to give me the best reproduction of the sounds I'm creating. So time to get some monitors.
Anyone have ideas on best models/brands, comments on size, amplification etc?
Price ranges? Don't want to spend too much but on the other hand if Behringers are crap as is often the case with their products I'd want to step up from that

Obviously just for use in a standard size rectangular bedroom for now btw, no fancy pentagonal shit or reflective sound panels

Also really wanna get a Novation 25key instead of my current 49key roland, best deals at...?
flippo

Re: Studio Monitors

Post by flippo »

have a look at the Mackies for mid range stuff, I didn't mind the sound of those. Midrange Events are pretty good too RP-8 etc.

KRK's are really popular for the mid price bracket, but I recon it's just because the yellow cones look awesome! :teef: (hides from KRK fanclub)

Don't listen to stuff that is above your price bracket! you will either a) be dissapointed in what you can afford, or b) walk out with no money left. lols

Just must make sure you listen to them man, everyones ears and tastes are different. I had my heart set on certain monitors based on reviews, reputation and specs on paper, but I just really did not like how they sounded at the end of the day. (ie don't listen to what anyone tells you to buy, including me ;))
By design

Post by By design »

got a nice set of Yamaha 80w actives, sound is clear as a bell and have a really flat response, weren't too much compared to others. best thing to do, and I know everyone says it, head to a music store with some nicely mastered beats and listen on a heap of different spekers.
Snowie

Post by Snowie »

^^ he's alive, he's alive.....ring me bruva

Oh yeah get KRK's and a 10" sub
Easy @ Word - 23rd May Opening Night, every saturday
Everything You Want - Fridays @ Lounge Downstairs
OldSkool Hip Hop and Funk - Saturdays @ Red Violin
www.myspace.com/djsnowie

Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

flippo wrote:have a look at the Mackies for mid range stuff, I didn't mind the sound of those. Midrange Events are pretty good too RP-8 etc.

KRK's are really popular for the mid price bracket, but I recon it's just because the yellow cones look awesome! :teef: (hides from KRK fanclub)

Don't listen to stuff that is above your price bracket! you will either a) be dissapointed in what you can afford, or b) walk out with no money left. lols

Just must make sure you listen to them man, everyones ears and tastes are different. I had my heart set on certain monitors based on reviews, reputation and specs on paper, but I just really did not like how they sounded at the end of the day. (ie don't listen to what anyone tells you to buy, including me ;))

Cheers for the heads up, and everyone else. And thanks foundation I'll have a look through that thread now, didn't search very well if at all before :P
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Tascam's new VLA range have just hit stores.

You could cop the VLA5's and the LFS8 (active sub) for under or around a grand - depending on the store.

Excellent bang for buck. Perfect for a small-mid sized studio.

http://tascam.com/products/vl-a_series.html
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

wikid. storedj have a sale on 'em
http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=2306

good value, don't see the sub on their site so would have to look elsewhere. could be good value option indeed though

also been thinking about this on sale, 200bux less than at djwarehouse, read mixed reviews though:
http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=774

then there are these coming out:
http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=2268

and for a alot more (over 1.2k for 2) the mackies.. http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=2279

hmmmm. read butter's recommendation in the other thread to not get cheap options and just save for really good monitors. i'll have to go listen to some in store and decide whether to do that or go for something like the tascams/fostex. i'm already thinking i'd like yamahas though from what ive read
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

really happy with my mr8s

their subjective performance aside, IMO they sit on a market sweetspot, where not in the ideal monitor territory of thier more expensive cousins, or the dyns etc, they do iron out some of the more pronounced types of flaws inherent in the cheaper monitors.

i would not buy the smaller mrs either, overcompensate for too small a driver