Gripe thread

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

Re: Gripe thread

Post by deviant »

Just be honest Retzie :) everyone has to start somewhere
retzie

Post by retzie »

deviant wrote:Just be honest Retzie :) everyone has to start somewhere
I s'pose. I've just got this horrible image of college students going "We are paying good money. Why are we being taught by a degenerate Australian, who looks like a scruff* and is babbling uselessly?"

*May need to do something about this :?

At least my attitude to public speaking is much like my attitude to dancing :D
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

big ups to you for taking the plunge retz! sounds scary as fark, and i don't think i'd be able to do it.
you'll be fine, and babbling can often be mistaken for eccentricity. ;) just wear mismatched clothes and looked as disheveled as possible for a rounded effect. :lol:

but seriously lady...you'll smash it. do us proud! :D
nic

Post by nic »

Akubra?
retzie

Post by retzie »

Thanks Witty!

Hmm, I hadn't thought of working the preconceptions of Australians angle. Could be noice... Akubra teamed with cammo shorts and wifebeater singlet (my usual :oops:) and I reckon I'm set :D. I just need to work a bowie knife into my lecturing and they'll know they've got their money's worth.

Alternatively, could get an 80s Commonwealth Games tracksuit and some Air Stabs ( :teef: ). Sadly, I think this one would be lost on them :(
nic

Post by nic »

carn sawrn it
dang nab it
quick

Post by quick »

nic wrote:carn sawrn it
dang nab it
:scr1pt:
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Dude sitting next to me on tram pumping phone-hold music, complete with synth sax FAIL. I didn't actually know that there were people who listened to the shit that qantas play when taxiing on the runway 'still call australia home' WTF???????
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

C.I.A. wrote:Dude sitting next to me on tram pumping phone-hold music, complete with synth sax FAIL. I didn't actually know that there were people who listened to the shit that qantas play when taxiing on the runway 'still call australia home' WTF???????
i swear if i hear that again i'm going to fucking smash someone.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

amending legislation. fuckin tedious! driving me crazy. but kinda crazy to see the change in laws and how they will affect people.
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

fooishbar wrote:
C.I.A. wrote:Dude sitting next to me on tram pumping phone-hold music, complete with synth sax FAIL. I didn't actually know that there were people who listened to the shit that qantas play when taxiing on the runway 'still call australia home' WTF???????

Australiana makes me want to smoke crack.

:angel13:
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Lizkins wrote:amending legislation. fuckin tedious! driving me crazy. but kinda crazy to see the change in laws and how they will affect people.
yeah i think its great stuff, when you can keep an eye on the outcomes rather than process...
lynt

Post by lynt »

Hardy wrote:
fooishbar wrote:

Un-Australian.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

lynt wrote:
Hardy wrote:
fooishbar wrote: i swear if i hear that again i'm going to fucking smash someone.

Un-Australian.
And proud of it.

Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

FoundationStepper wrote:
Lizkins wrote:amending legislation. fuckin tedious! driving me crazy. but kinda crazy to see the change in laws and how they will affect people.
yeah i think its great stuff, when you can keep an eye on the outcomes rather than process...

yeah for sure. even when its down to particulars of a person's job etc. crazy
click here fo fotos
mrj

Post by mrj »

Beck wrote: MTV
whoa makes me wanna smoke crack.
fly out the window,
and I'm never comin' back.
MTV makes me want to get high, as the moon,
like a rubber balloon.
ow get that squeegee.
everything's wonderful,
everything's grand,
everything's swingin',
all across the land, you know it.
bust out the biscuits
strike up the band,
play those videos everyone woman and man
because
MTV, whoa makes me wanna smoke crack.
hey
fall out the window,
and I'm never coming back.
MTV, makes me want to get high
as a kite,
gettin all uptight
take it
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

retzie wrote:So, I knew my new job would involve teaching, but fuuuuuuuuuck....

Arrive in country Wednesday, start work Friday, Monday start lecturing two subjects from scratch (no pre-done notes/slides) Image

I've never even lectured before! I'm going to die. Seriously Image Image Image
Hi! I did my first lecture this year and was super nervous. Before I started stressing though I emailed the guy who used to do the lectures and got his old slides to modify. Can you ask your boss if he has any for your course?

One difference I found between lecturing and giving a seminar was that you need to give them a breather sometimes (i lectured a double period from 12-2!), and to encourage them to ask questions during the lecture. You'll be able to handle the speaking no probs!

Also, for a 45-50 min lecture I was told to have about 25 slides. Much less than if you were giving a seminar. I was nervous about that but used the extra time on context for the slide info. Not sure how it will work for maths, but you could ask your current Uni contacts what they do.
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
deviant

Post by deviant »

FoundationStepper wrote:
Hardy wrote:Australiana makes me want to smoke crack.
hmmmm

:tard:
retzie

Post by retzie »

Polecat wrote:Before I started stressing though I emailed the guy who used to do the lectures and got his old slides to modify. Can you ask your boss if he has any for your course?
See, I was trying to make myself feel better, so I did this. That was when I discovered that no such thing exists.... Mercifully, one of the courses (the more advanced one) is pretty much what I've been tutoring here for the last 5 years, so hopefully I'm on top of the material.
Polecat wrote:One difference I found between lecturing and giving a seminar was that you need to give them a breather sometimes (i lectured a double period from 12-2!), and to encourage them to ask questions during the lecture. You'll be able to handle the speaking no probs!
Hmm, hadn't thought of that :). Too used to giving 'ardcore talks to professionals with high pain thresholds.
Polecat wrote:Also, for a 45-50 min lecture I was told to have about 25 slides. Much less than if you were giving a seminar. I was nervous about that but used the extra time on context for the slide info. Not sure how it will work for maths, but you could ask your current Uni contacts what they do.
As far as I can tell, each subject has two 90 min lectures per week. Their classes seem to be much smaller than ours, so I don't think people do slides at all - they just use blackboards. I'm used to doing this for my talks, though, so that shouldn't be too traumatic. I'll just look like a dickhead covered in chalk :?
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Sounds like you have it all under control except for the chalk board.
that sounds like such an archaic (sp?) way of teaching but then the maths nerd I used to have a crush on, did all his work with a pencil and paper, and only used his computer to read about himself on music forums.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Sad day :( Mum's off to Greece for 3 months today. BYE MUM!!! Be safe, kali taxithi!!

On the flipside, party central at the White Arches :wink:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

I forgot to put my shirts in the wash over the weekend, now i have to stay up 45 mins whilst the wash, fuck!
GO CATS! GO CATS!
mecka

Post by mecka »

kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

LOL but WTF?
GO CATS! GO CATS!
mecka

Post by mecka »

ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Being asked if i was in town for the catholic world youth forum today.

not only that, but am kinda dressed up kitty style > tattooes showing, baby blue leather jacket etc

wtf?
kronz

Post by kronz »

ghetto kitty wrote:Being asked if i was in town for the catholic world youth forum today.

not only that, but am kinda dressed up kitty style > tattooes showing, baby blue leather jacket etc

wtf?
it'scoz you look like a clown, just like them. :teef:

I have to audit 25 high schools. I so cant be fucked :-(
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

bad night. hope today is better.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

kronz wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:Being asked if i was in town for the catholic world youth forum today.

wtf?

what do you guys do from your end? i just completed the audit for one of our big clients here which was pretty much and litigious or pending litigious matters, total costs, break down costs etc etc . i even got to charge my time lol i am worth $120 an hour, no wait, did that sound bad lol
click here fo fotos
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:banghead:

Stupid Eco Risk conference call at 6am tomorrow 4pm EST USA FAIL.

Waiting for news. Waiting waiting waiting. Was supposed to find out on the 4th. Then the 11th. Then the 16th. JUST TELL ME ALREADY faaaaaaarkkkkkkkkk.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
gnat

Post by gnat »

oh yeh they called me cia- they said sorry, try again when i'm old and demented or dead

looks like you guys are staying in melbs

thnxbye
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

gnat wrote:oh yeh they called me cia- they said sorry, try again when i'm old and demented or dead

thnxbye
:smt005

Smartarse.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

C.I.A. wrote::banghead:

Stupid Eco Risk conference call at 6am tomorrow 4pm EST USA FAIL.
that is nasty! LOL. I get to do mine at 8am at home in my Pjs when I have to do US conference calls :)
gnat

Post by gnat »

C.I.A. wrote:
gnat wrote:oh yeh they called me cia- they said sorry, try again when i'm old and demented or dead

thnxbye
:smt005

Smartarse.
:usa2: Fa1L
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
kronz

Post by kronz »

Lizkins wrote:
kronz wrote:

wtf?

what do you guys do from your end? i just completed the audit for one of our big clients here which was pretty much and litigious or pending litigious matters, total costs, break down costs etc etc . i even got to charge my time lol i am worth $120 an hour, no wait, did that sound bad lol
These are compliance audit, so i sit down and interview the pricipal and assess thier compliance with the relevant legislation. I loook at their policies and procedures, review files, ask a fucking shit load of question etc. It suck coz i have to sit there at talk all fucking day, non stop.

Yeah i charge all my time as well, LOL suckers.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Lizkins wrote: i am worth $120 an hour, no wait, did that sound bad lol
Do you have any free appointments next Tuesday? Around 3pm is preferable. Also, do I need to bring my own baby costume?
kronz

Post by kronz »

Hardy wrote:
Do you have any free appointments next Tuesday? Around 3pm is preferable. Also, do I need to bring my own baby costume?
Well i am more expensive than her, but i am an Internal Auditor if that is what you are looking for.

:angel13: <--just for you Hardy
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

kronz wrote:
Hardy wrote:
Well i am more expensive than her, but i am an Internal Auditor if that is what you are looking for.

You can audit my internals any day
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I love exhorbatant charge out rates.
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

kronz wrote:
Hardy wrote:

stop stealing my customers Kronz
click here fo fotos
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

LOL at charge out rates.

What makes me cry is looking at the ACTUAL charge out rate (what the customer pays) vs what i get paid :(
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

wtf?
how bonkers are the catholics. that crazy american chick they kept on showing on the news was a pisser.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
deviant

Post by deviant »

huge wrote:

wtf?
how bonkers are the catholics. that crazy american chick they kept on showing on the news was a pisser.
was it Bo?
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

GOTD: incompetent fucktards

I don't want a fuckin' apology, I just want you to do your fucking job and stop costing me fucking money

FUCK
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
kronz

Post by kronz »

ADD_Boy wrote:LOL at charge out rates.

What makes me cry is looking at the ACTUAL charge out rate (what the customer pays) vs what i get paid :(

GO CATS! GO CATS!
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

ok my gripe is fucking skinny leg jeans. Dam emo tight fitting jeans being in fashion. All I want is a decent cut jean none of this spandex camel toe ball grasping shits :(
kronz

Post by kronz »

BammBamm wrote:ok my gripe is fucking skinny leg jeans. Dam emo tight fitting jeans being in fashion. All I want is a decent cut jean none of this spandex camel toe ball grasping shits :(
Jeans West loose fit.

Sounds wak but they are pretty fucking good. only $45 bucks to.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:angry7:

Scarlett Johannsen covering The Cure FA1L

bitch needs to be put down.
gnat

Post by gnat »

real? what track?

i can't wake up, so tired.

and the goths got eliminated on amazing race. booo!
deviant

Post by deviant »

BammBamm wrote:spandex camel toe ball grasping shits
lol