33 Hz Sub

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Scholtzy

33 Hz Sub

Post by Scholtzy »

I know 40-60Hz is the sweet spot for sub. But what this tune I'm doing at the moment has a low C in the sub pattern...which sits close to 33Hz.

How would this translate in a club? I don't have a sub and can only just hear it...it seems to be chewing through a fair bit of headroom.

Have tried warming it up but it just makes it sound messy.

So, how low it too low?
Cubist

Re: 33 Hz Sub

Post by Cubist »

I done a test CD of sine waves for Heartical from 30 Hz upwards. Heartical can play 33Hz and it'll sound as loud as 80Hz. But depends what soundsystem you plan to play ur tunes on...You see how Dillinja goes on about 'cunty DnB' or whatever...He says casue of the soundsystems peeps write their tunes accordingly http://breakbeat.co.uk/dnbtv/watch/dill ... gital.aspx

But at the end of the day. If a tunes got vibes it's gunna be good regardless. If it's loud. If it's soft. If it's low if it's high.
deviant

Post by deviant »

Cubist wrote:But at the end of the day. If a tunes got vibes it's gunna be good regardless.
not if you can't hear it ;)
a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin »

There's a good chance you won't hear it, at least as loud as you might in a studio with a sub that goes down to 20Hz - loads of clubs use bassbins that only respond down to about 35-40Hz.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

its more about moving air than harmonic content at that frequency yeh?
so the tune probably has something in the low - low/mid that gives you the impression of the bass even if you dont hear the super super lows?
cubist got it i reckons
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

aside from natural tuning of speakers being about this point, id venture that few soundsystems in melb would present the wavefront necessary to generate 33Hz with any useful energy. i.e. you kind of need a continuous stack/lne of speakers together "acting as a super-speaker with one waveront", rather than a couple of subs thrown in adjacent corners
Scholtzy

Post by Scholtzy »

yeah word.

I usually stick with D,E,F but somehow C happened.

decided to move the sub up a few semitones.

Now the nightmare of changing the other melodies / chords begins! Hopefully it doesn't ruin the vibe...ah well.
freestylednb

Post by freestylednb »

33hz is fine as long as theres a complete cut off at 20hz.

make sure you layer your bass with something more audible too, 33hz needs about 53 andanother 73hz layer/s

get the mix right and kapoW!!!

;)
flippo

Post by flippo »

freestylednb wrote:33hz is fine as long as theres a complete cut off at 20hz.

make sure you layer your bass with something more audible too, 33hz needs about 53 andanother 73hz layer/s

get the mix right and kapoW!!!

;)
you sure about 53 though? I'd go for more of a 52.
j hazen

Post by j hazen »

yea like somebody said the harmonics above 33Hz are just as critical in how well you hear that note. for a 33Hz note they'd be more like 33Hz, 66Hz, 99Hz, 132Hz, etc. that relationship of 33Hz difference between each one and the pitch ratios between each harmonic is what will make your ear identify the overall pitch as a low C. so even if the system can only hit 66Hz, 99Hz, 132Hz etc and can't touch 33Hz, you'll still hear the pitch of the note as a low C, and 66Hz and 99Hz are pretty beefy themselves.

honestly though i sort of think writing music to accommodate shit sound systems is cheating yourself and other people a little bit. there are systems out there that can handle it and there are people at home who have setups that can handle it as well. i know the feeling of playing out a track you've done and when it comes to the big money shot low bass note and you just feel a bit of emptiness instead it is definitely a letdown. but when you're on a system and it DOES hit the lowest notes and you're vibrating pants and chest cavities its all worth it! i'd just leave it and get it sounding as fat as you can. do whatever is best for the track/composition.

and if you are shifting it all up why not just show all the midi on a piano roll, grab it and move it up a whole step in one fell swoop?