Tech Sound Help Pls.

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
Fents

Tech Sound Help Pls.

Post by Fents »

OK I have a sound issue problem with my setup at home...

Who knows this one cause its freakin weird...

When i turn my setup on (decks, mixer, amp, speakers) and i have NOTHING playing theres a hiss sort of sound....its real quiet but that aint the prob.

When i have nothing playing and i touch the VOLUME knob on my amp (old valve amp with a crossover for bass trebble and vol etc) i get a radio signle...sounds like some AM crap...and if i take my hand off it stops. This amp/crossover does NOT have a tuner in it whatsoever. Its purley to run stuff through..

And NO i havnt been smoking crack.!

Anyone?
ukime

Post by ukime »

You might be acting as an antennae to pick up the radio signal and somehow it's feeding into the amp when you touch the volume knob? (which will have some sort of connected circuit running to your monitors?)

You know, like the crazy people picking up radio in their fillings ;)
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
Fents

Post by Fents »

So what do i do to fix?
ukime

Post by ukime »

depends how long it's been happening / what is really causing it.

if you've used a "bunny-ears" antenna for television, you might notice when you go and hold the antenna, the reception is better ... basically because you're being used to pick up the signal, even being close to it helps to draw the signal. so yeah, it may be you're picking up the weak AM signal and it's being fed into the amp.

so i guess, you're solutions include ...

stop the radio signal getting into the room? maybe turn the whole room into a hollow, lead box?

failing that, remove some fillings.
"I have ridden the mighty moon worm." - Al Gore.
Fents

Post by Fents »

ukime wrote:depends how long it's been happening / what is really causing it.

if you've used a "bunny-ears" antenna for television, you might notice when you go and hold the antenna, the reception is better ... basically because you're being used to pick up the signal, even being close to it helps to draw the signal. so yeah, it may be you're picking up the weak AM signal and it's being fed into the amp.

so i guess, you're solutions include ...

stop the radio signal getting into the room? maybe turn the whole room into a hollow, lead box?

failing that, remove some fillings.
NEXT! :?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

don't touch the volume knob when you don't want to listen to the radio.
Don't hate me for house
Realm Korrupt

Post by Realm Korrupt »

Sounds like a shielding/earthing prob. Check all ya cables - try making sure all your different cables (audio,power and anything else cross att 90 degree angles instead of parallel to each other.Sometimes random signals can be picked up by a poorly sheilded cable and transferred through your setup.
Hope dis helps
Like two skeletons copulating on a tin roof...
CRITICAL @ BUNKER - Sat Feb 18th
Hip Hop/Grime/Ghetto Tek/Jungle/Drum n Bass
Bek - Kammo - Quick - Livewire
quick

Post by quick »

Hey Fents, I just called my step dad, he's a real good electrictian. He's gonna get some answers and call me back so should have an answer for you soon. 8)
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
quick

Post by quick »

Definately an earthing problem, plug the amp straight into the wall socket, not via a double adapter (earth can be broken here).
If that doesn't work, you need to check the earthing on each valve, take off the cover and make sure the green clip thingy is correctly attached, not sure what this would look like, but the earthing part of the internal workings is green, most probably with a yellow strip. One of the earthings inside it are probably not connected, so make sure they are and it will go.
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
juicy badness

Post by juicy badness »

Realm Korrupt wrote:Sometimes random signals can be picked up by a poorly sheilded cable and transferred through your setup
- esp true wit unbalanced cables. keep unbalanced runs to a minimum or use a DI to convert to a balanced line which won't pick up any RF interference
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

reminds me of the second spin listening posts.
Don't hate me for house
Fents

Post by Fents »

quick wrote:Definately an earthing problem, plug the amp straight into the wall socket, not via a double adapter (earth can be broken here).
If that doesn't work, you need to check the earthing on each valve, take off the cover and make sure the green clip thingy is correctly attached, not sure what this would look like, but the earthing part of the internal workings is green, most probably with a yellow strip. One of the earthings inside it are probably not connected, so make sure they are and it will go.
Cheers mate...thats helpfull!!!

Will sit down tonight and work through it. Cheers Ears.