Buying a Mobile

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
DBoy

Buying a Mobile

Post by DBoy »

Ok, so I lost my phone. For all of 3 days I stuck with the, I don't need a mobile line. Now I am horney and need some numbers so I got to get one.

What is the best options for an actaul phone itself?

What is the best option for a deal?

a)Buy outright and get pre-paid
b)Go on a contract and get a capped plan (note these are usually highest possible call charges)
c)Go on a contract a and source the best deal for call/message/ charges
dust

Post by dust »

i'd go b)

yeah the call charges are high, but it is near impossible to spend $250 or $500 on calls in a month.

I'm on a $79 per month $500 call cap plan and I never even get close to spending $500 on calls.
flippo

Post by flippo »

vodaphone pre paid. 49 bucks will get you 260 (?) worth of calls. Reasonable rates, coverage isnt as bad as ppl say. And each time you recharge you can change plans, they got a few. Also check revolution telecom, they do pre paid with flat 9.9c call rates. Catch is that your credits dont expire but they take a small amount every day, like 19 cents or something. But they send you crazy offers in email every week, like 600 dollars of credit for 50 bucks, or 30 dollars credit for 5 bucks, shit like that. Just google em and apply online for a free sim card with 50 bucks credit to start you off, if it suits you keep em.

With vodaphone I got a seagem phone. With $50 credit i think it was $200 Aint bad, batt last about 5 days, similar interface to a motorola. Just a non-fancy flip top.
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

If you loose your phone regularly then id go with option b and take out insurance so they will replace your phone if/when you loose it, that way you get a brand spanking phone for didly squat. Insurance is only an extra $6 i think, well worth it.
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Never lost a phone before. Just broke them.

I like you people.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Sorry, smoked to much crack this morning.

SO, who has what phone and do you like it?
jAzZyGuRl

Post by jAzZyGuRl »

Go $49 cap ($230 credit) with vodaphone, but it might be shite reception down at ya folks house thats all. I get poo reception back in the country. Go a Samsung bro they are cheap and stylish for a pimp mofo like yaself :wink:
God damn you Walter! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuck are you talking about?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Nokia rocks!

http://www.nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,78328,00.html

horny? did we really need to be told that :?
mrj

Post by mrj »

Lizkins wrote: horny? did we really need to be told that :?
I know, currently trying to scrub that image outta my head with a wire brush
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

mrj wrote:
Lizkins wrote: horny? did we really need to be told that :?
I know, currently trying to scrub that image outta my head with a wire brush

yeah that might work better than the high concentrated disinfectant i am using.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

It's ok, i just closed my office door and the problem is resolved so you don't need to worry.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

DBoy wrote:It's ok, i just closed my office door and the problem is resolved so you don't need to worry.

i didn't know guys could multi task? typing and..... :smt044 fuck i kill me :smt037
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Lizkins wrote:
you can use a landline to make booty calls too you know :P
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

watch phone?
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Polecat wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
what's a landline :teef:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Polecat wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
except for the fact that i lost EVERY SINGLE phone number with the phone. :twisted:
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Lizkins wrote:
Polecat wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
its what the ADSL comes through to my house :)
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
B0mBjAcK

Post by B0mBjAcK »

I got a Nokia 3650 atm but want to get rid of it when I get some spare $$$. No no no don't go Nokia, they used to be good now they are going down hill fast. Not to mention all the viruses you can get for it. The only good thing I can think of for Nokia is that it has a cool lil shopping list app which is uber handy sometimes, no more bits of paper to loose.

I'd go with SE. My dearest mother has an SE phone, it's been cool to play with when ever I have had to use it (quite a bit mostly to help her when she breaks something on it :lol: ). Easy to use and oh so sexy, unlike Nokia that tries so hard to make sexy phones and either fails miserably or it ends up looking like someone elses phone.
Pluss mums SE gets better reception (everywhere) than my Nokia.
My next phone is going to be an SE, probably the S700i or K750i.

So yeh I dont like Nokia :P
That's so plausible I can't believe it!
XVi32 - It's a blog
Kulture - Melbourne Jungle/D&B blog
Melbourne D&B - Melbourne D&B Forum
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Polecat wrote:
Lizkins wrote:
Polecat wrote: you can use a landline to make booty calls too you know :P
its what the ADSL comes through to my house :)
:P :D
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i have a sony ericsson k700i which I'm really happy with. cheap these days, nice interface, works really well. only downside is that everyone has one now.

they've just brought out the thoroughly amazing p990i, which is brilliant, and should also hopefully force the price of the also brilliant p900i/p910i down (both symbian phones).

over in the world of nokia, i'm really digging the 7280 (tiny, very nice interface, ripping ideas from dasher), and the 6260 (don't like flip phones but this is likely to be my primary phone pretty soon -- that or the n90). the just-announced 7380 looks pretty neat too.

and, not a phone as such, but the 770 is dope as fuck. not available here, but get one of those, keep a 7280 in your pocket for bluetooth + gprs and you're absolutely set.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

oh, and forgot to mention: the s700i has a nice interface and an *incredible* screen. it's really, really nice. if you're thinking k700i, might be worth your while trading up to the k750i instead, as the camera on the 700i is complete crap. the 750's is still crap, but relative to phones it's surprisingly good.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

i'm on a $49 cap with optus ($230 or something) when i was spending about $80 or $90 a month with a normal plan. It's post paid, out of contract (i switched to a cap when it expired)
i was tempted to switch to vodaphone as i was looking at getting a new phone. not sure i can be arsed atm.
the advantage i see with vodaphone prepaid is that you only recharge when your cap runs out i think (credit lasts three months?)

nokias are always good.
i was going to get a motrola v3 (skinny aluminum ones) but i gather the software is average and the phones are pretty laggy.
i've got a 6100 which has lasted me two years fairly well although the top left buttons are getting a bit dodge.
There's no justice, just us.
quick

Post by quick »

----------------------------------------------------------
BUMP STARTED HERE!!!!!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting a new phone as my last one got busted. I have insurance so I'm offered the 6233 for free, but I can pay extra and upgrade.

Thinking the N73 looks hot, but I'd love the n93 or n95. What do peeps know about these phones?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

6233 is good. Fuck off the n93 and 95 they are massive wat too expencive and over rated. N73 is great but has had some software issues. PM me if you need help steve
GO CATS! GO CATS!
quick

Post by quick »

cheers bud, so the 6233 ey... with the n73, is the music edition one any better i.e less software issues?

the n93 looks wicked, full video camera styles... no good?
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

n93 is fucking massive!!!!!!!!!!!!! its way too big. Dont really stress about the n73 I like them, i even sold my sister one and she hasn't had any problems. Dont get 2 excited about mp3 player. The amps in the phones suck and they dont have a standard headphone jack. I'd go the 6233 IN WHITE. the black looks shit and the white comes with a 512 card. However how much extra do they want for an n73?
GO CATS! GO CATS!
quick

Post by quick »

dunno yet, haven't confirmed shit, they're still assesing, but the dude in the shop said it would be replaced, and I can up upgrade according to the insurance team in optus.

if i went with the n73, should I wait for the music one tho? as its not out yet yeah?
kronz

Post by kronz »

Dont know i haven't played with it yet. As i said dont get too pumped about mp3 ability remember its a phone not an iriver. Put it this way any updated s/w they might have for the music edition could just be installed on the n73. Music edition is going to be more expensive and will probably only come with a bigger mem card. I can hook you up with said cards anyway
GO CATS! GO CATS!
quick

Post by quick »

cool, is the music player on the n91 any good? what do you think about the 8gig one?
kronz

Post by kronz »

dont go near the n91 its fuck and is as heavy as fuck. forget about having it in your pocket, it also massive. DOnt worrie about what the dudes on the phone or in a store will tell you they just want to make a sale, or get ride of slow moving stock. i'll tell you how it is.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

kronz wrote:n93 is fucking massive!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it is HUGE. seriously, you guys have no idea how big it is. n90 is massive. n90 is enormous. n92 and n93 are death-star sized. n95 is normal size, but not being sold in asia-pacific yet.

there are two types of nokia -- s40 (the old ones), and s60 (the new ones, all the n-series). s40 is really nice and snappy: you press a menu item, it comes straight up. on my n90, when i press messaging, just the menu takes a full. five. seconds. to appear. this is pretty normal for s60, so honestly, don't get it unless you're prepared to peg your phone off a balcony when the messaging menu takes five seconds to appear, or when it loses all your smses along with your email settings and the dictionary, prepared to have random apps fail with 'system error -7143', prepared to have taken it out of your pocket no less than six times while it's in the middle of silently rebooting (no idea how many times it's happened while i haven't been watching), and prepared to charge it three times in one weekend because it's run out every night of the weekend. (yes, all of these things have happened.)

most of the four-digit ones (6288 et al) are still running s40, and they're fine. but honestly, i'd be hesitant to buy any n-series except the n95 (hsdpa, quad-band gsm, wcdma, wifi, bluetooth, gps, 5 megapixel camera, tv-out, 3.5mm headphone and mini-usb jacks right on the device; only downside is the screen still being 320x240, ugh) or the n800 (of which i have six).

so yeah, i'd probably go an n95, an earlier s40 phone, or one of the sony-ericssons (k800i looks quite good, w810i, pick one, they're pretty solid ime).

edit: really the n95 is quite nice, but they haven't even started selling to the public in europe, so you won't be seeing them in australia for a while yet.
kronz

Post by kronz »

n95 is kind of big and not coming to aug i'm told. agree with what you've said the symbion s/w is fucked. n73 is rather fast though.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

kronz wrote:n95 is kind of big and not coming to aug i'm told. agree with what you've said the symbion s/w is fucked. n73 is rather fast though.
august sounds about right. it's really not that big though; it's pretty comparable to the n80 (which is also a pretty safe bet if you must get s60). doesn't feel very heavy either, and certainly not as slow as the n90/91/92/93 are.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Although others will tell you that I'm talking shit (cause I must've gotten the only phone in the range that's possessed and loonychoon), I'd avoid the Nokia N70 like the plague if I were you. It's a PSYCHO phone and I'm considering taking out an AVO out to protect myself from it's next personality jump.

Good luck D. PM'ing my number for future reference.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
nic

Post by nic »

24 month telstra contract ran out las week thank fuck. now i can get prepaid and actually make calls.

wheres the cheapest place to buy a phone outright? something sony ericcccson.
quick

Post by quick »

nic wrote:24 month telstra contract ran out las week thank fuck. now i can get prepaid and actually make calls.

pre-paid is for loosers...
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

quick wrote:
nic wrote:24 month telstra contract ran out las week thank fuck. now i can get prepaid and actually make calls.

Pre-Paid rules!

Poor spelling is for losers. :P
quick

Post by quick »

Hardy wrote:
quick wrote:

Pre-Paid rules!

using the Razz emoticon is for looooosers, so is having sex with your cat...
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

quick wrote:
Hardy wrote:
quick wrote: pre-paid is for loosers...
Pre-Paid rules!

using the Razz emoticon is for looooosers, so is having sex with your cat...
Then why do I feel like such a winner when I'm ploughing Rauffi into oblivion?
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

:shock:
nic

Post by nic »

you must be on pre paid as well the stevie? huhu
:teef:
quick

Post by quick »

nic wrote:you must be on pre paid as well the stevie? huhu
:teef:
your mumma is pre-paid... :teef:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i'm looking at the blackberry pearl - currently have the N70 but only for another week.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

shepherd wrote:i'm looking at the blackberry pearl - currently have the N70 but only for another week.
the pearls are rather good. nice and small compared to other BB's. kinda hard to type on with my big fingers tho.

battery life is a bit shabby too, expect no more than 2-3 days if you are using it as a blackberry with all the wireless turned on etc.

camera isnt too good and it doesnt record video.

im getting one for work soon too.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

hrm - good points huge.

I like the fact for work it's pretty on the money ... but the battery life and shabby camera are both hallmarks of the N70 that really pissed me off.

Can anyone recommend a good phone that has good email/calendar sync capabilities (with ms exchange or lotus notes) but has a nice interface and a camera that is 2 megapixel or better?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

The Imate Jasjam phones are pretty good.

All the Telstra mobiles guys use them. I mean ALL of them.

http://www.gsmarena.com/i_mate_jasjam-1589.php

It has pocket office, which is outlook, word and excel for mobiles.

Outlook is wicked, you get your emails as they come. Data rates might be a bit exxy if you are paying as opposed to your company though.

ImageImage
Last edited by JAMESSSS on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
Don't hate me for house
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

the email client on the e60 is shockingly good, and battery life is pretty decent, but no camera (it's a business phone).
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
gnat

Post by gnat »

pink nokia ftw D
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

jbs wrote:The Imate Jasjam phones are pretty good.

All the Telstra mobiles guys use them. I mean ALL of them.

http://www.gsmarena.com/i_mate_jasjam-1589.php

It has pocket office, which is outlook, word and excel for mobiles.

Outlook is wicked, you get your emails as they come. Data rates might be a bit exxy if you are paying as opposed to your company though.

ImageImage
we had the option of these and the N70 ... i chose the N70 ... wish I never had!! It's okay but the battery lasts about 2 hrs.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Do you mean two hours of talking or two hours of standby?

My N70's a piece of shit straight from hell :evil: . But the battery's ok. If I have it on vibrate though it tends to run out a lot faster (maybe 2 days).