JOBS

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

The Mixtress wrote:At least in a smaller company, your efforts can be easily distinguished and there is usually more appreciation.

:scr1pt:

plus, you usually get better/broader experience in a smaller company because you get to do more things.

definately depends on the people, if they suck it's very hard to hide from them or ignore them
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

okay, so if i like this boss dude then all is a goer.

and if he pays me the money i want LOL
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

my job was pretty much going to force me to move to Sydney.

after thinking about how much Sydney SUCKS, and moving away from my family, friends, dog and life etc; i decided to tell my boss to shove it on Friday.

now they are begging me to stay and pay me twice as much. bahahah!
...and basically that's the situation
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Mellogs wrote:my job was pretty much going to force me to move to Sydney.

after thinking about how much Sydney SUCKS, and moving away from my family, friends, dog and life etc; i decided to tell my boss to shove it on Friday.

w00t Mellogs :wav:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

Mellogs wrote:my job was pretty much going to force me to move to Sydney.

hahaha fuckin nice one darling
Mellogs

Post by Mellogs »

COULD NOT for Sydney
...and basically that's the situation
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

personally I like bigger companies. I've worked in smaller environment and enjoyed the fact it was more close knit .. but I also feel those environments can be stifling too.

Big company benefits
- pay
- global learnings
- opportunity
- experience
- chance to build a career

Negatives are slow turnaround times and it can be a grind at times. I think you need the experience of a smaller company - as brb said the broader experience of tasks tc ... but it's easier to get stuck in a rut there in terms of pay.
stovequeen

Post by stovequeen »

shepherd wrote:personally I like bigger companies. I've worked in smaller environment and enjoyed the fact it was more close knit .. but I also feel those environments can be stifling too.

Big company benefits
- pay
- global learnings
- opportunity
- experience
- chance to build a career

Negatives are slow turnaround times and it can be a grind at times. I think you need the experience of a smaller company - as brb said the broader experience of tasks tc ... but it's easier to get stuck in a rut there in terms of pay.
Couldn't have said it better!

Hope you had a nice holiday btw 8)
nic

Post by nic »

bah id prefer to go bigger, more resources, less skimping, more scope to move in your role, support, contacts, more money etc.

But if its a stiff environment that can quickly negate all positives.
aspekt

Post by aspekt »

The trick is to do IT work for doctors, they have no shortage of cash to throw at you and the problems when you start mentioning things like "viruses", "hackers" and "catastrophic system failure"

I like small businesses in the sense that if something needs to be done, you can do it, you don't have to get the ok from finance to say that they've finished depreciating that dot-matrix printer before you can throw it out. I've been pretty lucky with the work I've done and the perks have been pretty good.

That said there was one woman who was amazingly shit. She would spent most of her day trying to look busy so she didn't actually have to do work. I don't understand how anyone could be like that because to me, mindlessly click between windows would make the day take twice as long. The other woman she worked with picked up all her slack. The boss knew but didn't want to deal with it. Push came to shove and the boss approached shitwoman. shitwoman cracked it an quit. funny thing was that she was going to be offered a hefty package to leave and because she quit, didn't get squat. there's nothing better than karma. Moral of the story is that shit people in a small business have a much greater impact on efficiency and people's morale where it doesn't tend to matter so much in a big company.

Big companies have advantages as well like Shepherd said.

I'm working for a university at the moment. The pay is great at this stage but I'm already at the higher end of the scale so there isn't much headroom in that regard. Organisationally, it's a pretty tangled web. There are some totally retarded procedures (like in order to get your computer account you need to agree to various bits of policy which are on the intranet that requires an account to access....). I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly and it seems to be a sweet place to work other than that but I wouldn't want to be here for ever. My department has a massive budget and my job is more or less to buy gadgets to see if they'd be any use to academics. Tough gig really.
Oh yeah. 15 days sick leave.
Last edited by aspekt on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's no justice, just us.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

True. All those things are good, perks are brilliant.

When I worked at Harris Tech though (which I consider big :oops: ...national company etc) I found it impossible to get internal work done for me. If you needed the purchasing officers to do something for you, it took hours and hours, you weren't allowed to call them (emails only) and there was always a manager getting their stuff prioritised in front of yours. Then I moved to Blueconn and I loved being able to just walk up to the p.o and get the problem solved on the spot. I had clout, as opposed to feeling like a cog in a big machine.
sten

Post by sten »

big dark glum silent office pls.
my last job was small & sometimes i had to answer the phone. :shock:
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

all what you are saying about big company's is what is making this a hard choice. the only thing that is making me think this may work is that this is a big company, just a small office here in Melbs that has potential to grow and has been.

Plus, this position will expand my career which means i could move on to something bigger and better down the track....without even having to go back to school.

this is of course if i get it. not sure who my competition is yet.

see how i go meeting the GM i guess.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Well, I say all the very best to you Lizkins. It takes courage to go out and find something new when you're still working...to make the decision that this simply isn't enough and I want more dagnamit.

:smt041
Friday

Post by Friday »

lizkins wrote: so may as well nip it in the butt.
i like this saying! i think it's meant to be nip it in the bud but your version is good :P
origin: this phrase derives by allusion to the de-budding of plants. the earlier form of the phrase was 'nip in the bloom'

onto your question though... as well as espy i started my own business since i left a.mad doing touring. i've found it quite a transition doing EVERYTHING with the business including all the marketing and publicity, accounts and bookkeeping, my basic IT needs for my home office.

it's hard not being able to palm these things off to the 'experts' in these areas but there is also something very nice about seeing all aspects of a business and i've found it very rewarding having a full understanding of things from the bottom all the way to the top.

i rekcon if i'd done this first before i started at a.mad i would have had a much better understanding of the mechanics of it all and been even better at my job...
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

hahaha i have a bad habit of changes sayings. i also say - you pack me up. Instead of - you crack me up. is that the saying? now i forget. i have others but i forget right now.

i like the way you have put it Luce, cheers :grin:
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I'm on the look out for something full time ASAP.
ADmin/ Call Centre or what ever.

Post by Guest »

black star wrote:I'm on the look out for something full time ASAP.
Have you got any sales experience?
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Guest wrote:
I sold my soul to rock'n'roll.sales experience?[/quote]
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

I'm gonna be an accountant
GO CATS! GO CATS!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

kronz wrote:I'm gonna be an accountant
No more motivational sales emails for you :wink:

Post by Guest »

black star wrote:
Guest wrote:
I sold my soul to rock'n'roll.sales experience?
[/quote]

There are a couple of openings for Sales Consultants in our contact centre, if you want to shoot me a copy of your resume, I'll be happy to pass it on for you.
Will

Post by Will »

So I've been offered a full/time job at a community newspaper in Melbourne - which is great.

It pays slightly less than my current job but the only real problem is that it's at the Knox Leader, which is based in Boronia. Stixville.

They want to know if I'm going to take it by Monday.

Just to complicate matters, I just got a call that someone from the Herald Sun wants to talk to me about a job doing shit kicking work for the HIT music supplement.

Apparently it's a lot of data entry and interviewing horrible commercial music people, but pays well. Also a good foot-in-the-door for news work there.

I don't really know anything else about it. They may not even want me because I've been doing news jouranlism for the past two years, not music stuff.

Any advice?
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

HWT over Leader all the way
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

my best mate worked for HWT for a few years, he got UNLIMITED sick days :shock:

HTW FTW

I'd rather interview commercial bands than the Knox Hydrangea Appreciation Society ;)
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

HWT. Satan pays well and the perks are awesome.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Peter who like to collect spoons vs. ROCKING OUT (thow up the HORNS)
Don't hate me for house
gnat

Post by gnat »

You'll have to review the Young Divas Will.I.Am

ROFL
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Yeah.

And the review will have to be good.

Young Divas

When I went to see the Young Divas I ROCKED OUT while throwing up the HORNS.
Last edited by JAMESSSS on Fri May 11, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate me for house
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

where is Knox again, and can you drive Will? Cos really that would be the big thing to think about with that job. I mean i see you moving back around near the city again not far out that way.

HWT - at least you will have money to support yourself (which is a big plus) and a foot in the door. I would call them again and ask questions if possible.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

HWT gets my vote too. To be called out of the blue means they've been watching your work...can only mean good good things Will. Best of luck with whatever you decide, it'll be great to have you back in Melburn Town :D
gnat

Post by gnat »

jbs wrote:Yeah.

And the review will have to be good.

Young Divas

When I went to see the Young Divas I ROCKED OUT while throwing up the HORNS.
or rocked out and got teh Horn

think of all the free anthony callea merch will
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

Resigned a couple of days ago, if anyone knows of any casual positions going around the inner city or east side please let me know.
Will

Post by Will »

Thanks for the input people.

I could probably stand eating Satan's Cock like a lollypop for a while if it meant I got to stay in the city.

I better get some more information.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Call HWT and tell them you have an offer from another but are more interested in them. Ask if you can express your talks.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

Will wrote:So I've been offered a full/time job at a community newspaper in Melbourne - which is great.

It pays slightly less than my current job but the only real problem is that it's at the Knox Leader, which is based in Boronia. Stixville.

They want to know if I'm going to take it by Monday.

Just to complicate matters, I just got a call that someone from the Herald Sun wants to talk to me about a job doing shit kicking work for the HIT music supplement.

Apparently it's a lot of data entry and interviewing horrible commercial music people, but pays well. Also a good foot-in-the-door for news work there.

I don't really know anything else about it. They may not even want me because I've been doing news jouranlism for the past two years, not music stuff.

Any advice?
HWT Babe....HWT, it is a better door to have your foot in......
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

We are looking for a media assistant at MindShare Interaction.

If you want to get in at a junior level and work with us on the online strategy and media for brands like Ford, Motorola, GE, BP, Kraft, iinet, Disney etc hit me up via PM.

Global business, stacks of awards, great reputation.

Note - it's a junior role.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

Ben, the guys downstairs in Wunderman are always saying your name and it freaks me out. actually its mainly Faye and she freaks me out anyway.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

I think Faye freaks everyone out hehe!
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

my jobs a little boring, i think it is about to get really friggen crammed tho because i may be temperarily taking over an EA role (very excited!)

but untill then im friggen tired and bored and some of my regular sites have been blocked :(

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i am currently typing up the reasons why i should get a payraise.

any advice?
cha_chaos

Post by cha_chaos »

say how long you've been on the current pay for and then how in that time you've taken on much more responsibility and have become better and more experienced at what you do...

then blah blah blah pay me more bitches

The rubber plant was surprised. If the rubber plant could have spoken, it wouldn't have said anything. That's how surprised the rubber plant was.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

dont ask for a payrise cos you think you do heaps of work.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

huge wrote:dont ask for a payrise cos you think you do heaps of work.
:?:

i dont quite get you.
i am paid salary for a certain amount of hours, which i do over and above.
i have to bring my own laptop in to work with, as well as increased phone and travel costs.

i have outlined everything i have achieved in the last year, and included my objectives when i got the job, all of which have been met.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

there ya go. don't go for one cos of your workload.

outline your achievements like you already have done. mostly they will pay on experience and qualifications etc.

i guess your line of work could be diffo, but in my experience, employers dont go for the "i do so much work, plus no overtime gimme more cash"
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hehehe i have listed...

achievements first

financial factors second.

:wink:
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Kitty:

http://www.careerone.com.au/jobs/job-se ... ob/pid/394

Might help. Do a Google on 'how to get a pay rise' and sift through, plucking out only the things that are relevant to your industry.

And good luck :wink:
specialk

Post by specialk »

I just quit my hospitality job of 5 years and am looking for another hospo gig if anyone has heard of anything....
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Just had a call from a recruiter from BTA asking if I wanted a job. Said no, but took the details in case anyone wants to contact him.

Vendor sales to resellers in the RAM and hard disk market. Based in Clayton, package negotiable etc.

PM me if you want the guy's phone number to discuss further :D
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

righto. any of you lot interested in....

Account Manager, Telstra Account, Sydney
Senior Account Manager, Telstra Account, Sydney
Payroll Officer, Melbourne
Corporate Accountant, Sydney
Account Manager, Microsoft, Sydney
Marketing Analyst, Ford Business Centre, Melbourne

hit me up.