What's the best/worst set you've ever played.....

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
deviant

What's the best/worst set you've ever played.....

Post by deviant »

Best.... Queens Birthday Eve @ Lounge, this year, played after Dopamine from 4-5:30..... I could elaborate but there's nothing really to say. Everything went perfectly, tunes, mixing, crowd.... sweeeeet

Worst.... Fractured Aug 26th 2004 @ Platform 1, with Bass Kleph...

nightmare... equipment was set up really badly, headphone jack was cutting out, to the point where I was basically mixing with no headphones. The decks were a meter appart and the mixer was sitting about a foot higher than the decks were. It was also my first major(ish) gig in a big(ish) club. I had played plenty of house parties and bars and bits n pieces but never on a boomy club system. Platform one was notorious for the bouncing and echoing sound. The subs were waaaaay down the other end of the tunnel and the highs were pointing in opposite directions. The delay was killing me. I fluffed pretty much every mix, even if I had gotten used to the delay by that stage the nerves and lack of confidence from fluffing all those mixes woulda finished me off.

I never want to go there again...... I s'pose the more experience you get the less likely (if not totally impossible) it is for something like that to happen.

tell your stories here \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Last edited by deviant on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LukeMcD

Post by LukeMcD »

Best set, purely for the honor - Filter closing night !
You're the kind of person who reads things !

www.smashbangrecords.com
deviant

Post by deviant »

worst?
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

Best: Albert Park apartment building on the roof during grand prix, was crazy when the planes flew over and i had a new girlfriend so doin that party ment i was in, ha ha.

Worst: That joint on Smith St ( Blue Velvet Bar ) about 8 years ago. Had a rockin party goin until the people realised it was closing at 1.30am. Then the shit hit the fan, got a drink thrown at me and shit. The dude that ran it was gunna let it go til 3 then changed his mind. Didnt play there agiain, in fact i think it went all goth after that, go figure!

:twisted: :twisted:
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
Fents

Post by Fents »

Best - Light It Up B2B sessions with Skam, 300 people going nuts, people that i looked up to running up to the decks pulling rewinds and shit. Also 33.333's at Espy get a mention, wicked crowds, girl down the front row in the gershwin room stripped of and was dancing in a g string and bra for fikuss! Also the set before Friction @ Lounge was nuts.

Worst - probably Beat Aid at POW or Andy C @ Espy (33.333) just wernt feeling those sets even tho some people were.
almax

Re: What's the best/worst set you've ever played.....

Post by almax »

deviant wrote:Best.... Queens Birthday Eve @ Lounge, this year..... I could elaborate but there's nothing really to say. Everything went perfectly.

Worst.... Fractured Aug 26th 2004 @ Platform 1, with Bass Kleph...

nightmare... equipment was set up really badly, headphone jack was cutting out, to the point where I was basically mixing with no headphones. The decks were a meter appart and the mixer was sitting about a foot higher than the decks were. It was also my first major(ish) gig in a big(ish) club. I had played plenty of house parties and bars and bits n pieces but never on a boomy club system. Platform one was notorious for the bouncing and echoing sound. The subs were waaaaay down the other end of the tunnel and the highs were pointing in opposite directions. The delay was killing me. I fluffed pretty much every mix, even if I had gotten used to the delay by that stage the nerves and lack of confidence from fluffing all those mixes woulda finished me off.

I never want to go there again...... I s'pose the more experience you get the less likely (if not totally impossible) it is for something like that to happen.
yep feel your pain there, my worst set was pretty fucking similar, they had just changed the sound at fractured and it was majourly FUCKED, with a two second delay to the booth, i didnt know what was going on (at the time i didnt know there was a 2 second delay, it was discovered by the Gimme boys the next day)
Worst thing was it was in front of a full room of staunch ass mother fuckers, i was opening up for an internatty (the Upbeats, who was really cool about it btw, real nice guy Jeremy and helpful!)i just wanted to curl up and die to say the least!

Best ever was a few weeks prior at the Fractured re-opening 15/7/2005, packed room awesome vibe, nailed every mix!
almax

Post by almax »

Fents wrote:, girl down the front row in the gershwin room stripped of and was dancing in a g string and bra for fikuss! .
bwahaha thats awesome!
Ides-GotFunk?

Post by Ides-GotFunk? »

LukeMcD wrote:Best set, purely for the honor - Filter closing night !

:scr1pt:
http://www.myspace.com/got_funk

Feb 15 (07)::FK5 vs THUNDERBALL
Nov 24 (07)::REPHRASE

27 DEC :: MBBB returns!!!
MAR 2010 :: WMC USA :D

ides :smt055 parov stelar
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Best: Warehouse party in Fitzroy last year opening for the mighty Cubist. Off-tha-hook vibe in that room, played everything from Aretha to Plumps to Creedence.

Worst: BW 1-Year Anniversary, cuz I passed out. Nuff said...

8)
flippo

Post by flippo »

Fents wrote: Andy C @ Espy (33.333) just wernt feeling those sets even tho some people were.
I liked those tunes, you guys just looked a bit bored but.
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

Best - playing B2B with BLIM at 33

Worst - MB.C BBQ :lol:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Best - Earthcore a couple of years back... OB1 and I had the best fun! We swapped MC/DJ duties back and forth and played hip-hop/breaks/drum'n'bass to a receptive and up-for-it crowd. Met Feigan and Tahl for the forst time, OB was so hyped he tripped over and sprawled all over the record cases behind the decks.... crowd stoppped moving, OB get's up and yells out "Yeahhhh" - crowd get's moving again!

Worst - BW 1st year birthday. Having my best mate pass out on me, eyes in the back of the head stylee - and having to rush him to emergency in my XE Falcon whilst peaking was not fun at all.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Direktor wrote:Best - Earthcore a couple of years back... OB1 and I had the best fun! We swapped MC/DJ duties back and forth and played hip-hop/breaks/drum'n'bass to a receptive and up-for-it crowd. Met Feigan and Tahl for the forst time, OB was so hyped he tripped over and sprawled all over the record cases behind the decks.... crowd stoppped moving, OB get's up and yells out "Yeahhhh" - crowd get's moving again!

Worst - BW 1st year birthday. Having my best mate pass out on me, eyes in the back of the head stylee - and having to rush him to emergency in my XE Falcon whilst peaking was not fun at all.
Isn't it great that yer best and worst involves me falling to the ground?
:lol:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

:lol: Always!
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Best gigs

warm up for krafty kuts at metro june 2004. was also my futurebreaks cd launch and there were 1900 people there and the room was jumping. 2 hour set midnight to 2am - good times.

equal - thayer and I b2b at Plump Djs (Lee) in 2003 (I think) at Prince. We played before him and it was crazy shit. Finished with Pilgrem mix of Emit/Collect and then went and got celebratory. Place was packed and going stupid.

equal again - mobile home Sydney NYE 2003 ... playing outside at Wharf 3 with the fireworks as my backdrop. So cool - 2000 people.

equal equal again - supporting Public Enemy 2003 tour for both Melborune shows ... and then Flagrant and I doing the afterparty with DJ Lord at Lounge.

worst

fuck where do I start!!?? probably a gig I did at @mosphere about a zillion years ago where I played the side room, and both turnies didn't have slipmats!!!! And there were no cdjs ... and having the promoter expect me to use records as slipmatts!!!
cuznmatt

Post by cuznmatt »

best full moon koh phangan

worst 21st in mentone, either that or years ago at the hifi bar, first time on a big system and everything was just set up wrong, needles were shit, and i lost the first half of my pauls boutique double vinyl album. haven't ever seen it available on double vinyl ever since, goodby eggman, goodbye dropping science.
lynt

Post by lynt »

cuznmatt wrote:best full moon koh phangan

worst 21st in mentone, either that or years ago at the hifi bar, first time on a big system and everything was just set up wrong, needles were shit, and i lost the first half of my pauls boutique double vinyl album. haven't ever seen it available on double vinyl ever since, goodby eggman, goodbye dropping science.
Which bar did you play at on Koh Phangan? Me and Hanh played at Orchard one full moon in 04...
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

cuznmatt wrote:worst 21st in mentone, either that or years ago at the hifi bar, first time on a big system and everything was just set up wrong, needles were shit, and i lost the first half of my pauls boutique double vinyl album. haven't ever seen it available on double vinyl ever since, goodby eggman, goodbye dropping science.
You lost the better half, too. :cry:
factory worker

Post by factory worker »

obliveus wrote:
cuznmatt wrote:worst 21st in mentone, either that or years ago at the hifi bar, first time on a big system and everything was just set up wrong, needles were shit, and i lost the first half of my pauls boutique double vinyl album. haven't ever seen it available on double vinyl ever since, goodby eggman, goodbye dropping science.
You lost the better half, too. :cry:
better than losing your other half
The best way to cure a broken heart is to give the pieces away
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

LukeMcD wrote:Best set, purely for the honor - Filter closing night !
and worst would have to be bubble wouldnt it mate? :D :lol:
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

oh shit - that reminds me ... thayer and i did triple j mixup live at bubble and it was painful.

worlds shortest residency - 1 week!!
Sustain

Post by Sustain »

obliveus wrote:Best: Warehouse party in Fitzroy last year opening for the mighty Cubist. Off-tha-hook vibe in that room, played everything from Aretha to Plumps to Creedence.
^^^yeah that was a mad party! everyone were feelin the vibes nicely
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

shepherd wrote:oh shit - that reminds me ... thayer and i did triple j mixup live at bubble and it was painful.

worlds shortest residency - 1 week!!
Damn, I think I played that place, too. Your reputation preceeded you...
:lol:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Sustain wrote:
obliveus wrote:Best: Warehouse party in Fitzroy last year opening for the mighty Cubist. Off-tha-hook vibe in that room, played everything from Aretha to Plumps to Creedence.
^^^yeah that was a mad party! everyone were feelin the vibes nicely
:scr1pt:
Scotrod

Post by Scotrod »

[quote="Fents"]Also 33.333's at Espy get a mention, wicked crowds, girl down the front row in the gershwin room stripped of and was dancing in a g string and bra for fikuss![quote="Fents"]
I can vouch for this one. I was in the room when the chick stripped. The funniest thing was watching the bouncers tip toe around her not knowing quite what to do.... :lol:
monk

Post by monk »

shepherd wrote:Best gigs

equal - thayer and I b2b at Plump Djs (Lee) in 2003 (I think) at Prince. We played before him and it was crazy shit. Finished with Pilgrem mix of Emit/Collect and then went and got celebratory. Place was packed and going stupid.
was at that gig! what a show. It was ta 3rd of oct 2003. u and nick got ta place jumpin alright. mad shit that night. good memories.

:D :D :D

best> full moon koh toa. how can playin tunes in thailand on ta beach in ya boardies wit ta tide lappin at yr feet not b ta best ever!!!

worst> so bad i had it erazed from memory.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I like lamp
dengelman

Post by dengelman »

monk wrote:
shepherd wrote:Best gigs

was at that gig! what a show. It was ta 3rd of oct 2003. u and nick got ta place jumpin alright. mad shit that night. good memories.

:D :D :D
Yay for this gig! Was on my bday and probably the height of my plumpy-love shortly after eargasm release. Remember the warm-up being noice and the place going fairly bonkers when lee came out.
dopamine

Post by dopamine »

deviant wrote:Best.... Queens Birthday Eve @ Lounge, this year, played after Dopamine from 4-5:30..... I could elaborate but there's nothing really to say. Everything went perfectly, tunes, mixing, crowd.... sweeeeet
I have to say, you did play a killer set. Was very impressed with both you and Marcus/Nago. 8)
marcus

Post by marcus »

dopamine wrote:
deviant wrote:Best.... Queens Birthday Eve @ Lounge, this year, played after Dopamine from 4-5:30..... I could elaborate but there's nothing really to say. Everything went perfectly, tunes, mixing, crowd.... sweeeeet
I have to say, you did play a killer set. Was very impressed with both you and Marcus/Nago. 8)
Cheers man. ;)

Best Set: Boat Party last night. That was off tha fucking hook. Took a little while to get things going, but once it was people were bouncing across the room.

Worst: In terms of purely attrocious mixing, the first Cushion Lounge party before I went overseas. I did a good job of keeping the bar afloat that day. Dropping Emit/Collect though that day though was priceless - house bunnies dancing to breaks, bring it on!
Stylus Radio :: Every 2nd Sunday :: 6-8pm AEST :: http://www.nsbradio.co.uk
menace

Post by menace »

marcus wrote:
. Dropping Emit/Collect though that day though was priceless - house bunnies dancing to breaks, bring it on!

GOLD !!!! :lol:
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

worst set(s)

C:/MY DOCUMENTS/MY MUSIC/STONED MIXES/*.mp3
deviant

Post by deviant »

dopamine wrote:
Hi Matt :wave:

cheers for the props mate, much appreciated :thumbup:

the whole night was rockin' from woah-to-go..... Marcus, your set at cushion wasn't that bad!!! You were pretty "off guts" though :lol: