anyone use max/msp

Tips, hints, help, tech support, setups, systems and all things related to making phat beats. Post your latest production for all to hear & review. Or quiz the resident nerds about that tech problem you just can't figure out.
FoundationStepper

anyone use max/msp

Post by FoundationStepper »

oh my this program does my head in

makes my brain do crazy things

any other users here?
Grey Son

Post by Grey Son »

Id like too, but i found it all a bit to much.
I think Thom York from radiohead made all his tunes for his solo album with it...............
Well at least i will be the fattest guy on the street gettin a boat
HEY HEY HEY im gettin a boat!!!!
www.myspace.com/greysonsoul
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

i have read alot of people usinb this now

I am defo interested, its just getting the time to chase it down, its like reaktor innit?
FoundationStepper

yeah it is like reactor.. but its fundamental basis is not in the audio domain..

max is like number processing,
msp is the signal processing thing that sits with that...

wheras i belive reactor is based around audio functions moreso? partic systhesis
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i used it yonks ago. was a reet mind bender.

shadowgames has some luck with it.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

OK I havent delved into reaktor yet, I opened it up for the first time the other day to have a look

I thought reaktor was modular, and you could basically build your own synths etc.. piecing together like osc-a and osc-b, insert whatever chorus, fx etc.. basically make your own synth chains etc..

which sorta sounds like sound modules producing sound, not like a sampler or ROMpler 're'producing sounds with synth style controls ADSR etc..?

Sounds like i need an explanation :)
FoundationStepper

yeah what your saying makes sense...

i think the level of programming in max might be a bit more detailed than that in cases...
Shadowgames

Post by Shadowgames »

I've recently started using max for audio things. It's awesome.

Max on its own is really just a nice gui for C, but it has the advantage of 'objects' or 'externals' which you can link together to do what you want. Like instead of writing a bit of code that generates bi-quad coefficients, you can load up a max object that someone else has created and get to work.

MSP is a collection of objects for max that enable to you use this style of programing for audio systems. So there is a DAC/ADC, oscillators, filters, matrices etc..

so it does alot more than reaktor can (but i'd say reaktor is easier to get 'good' sounds out of).

It takes a while to get into, but th best way to go is just to do all the tutorials that come with the program, and then to pull apart other peoples patches.

atm i'm working on a tale top interface based on the reactable stuff, for controlling a surround sounds rig with physical objects.

the possibilities are endless...

ps. it helps when you borther is a max master :)
FoundationStepper

well put

im using it for sound design, processing and systhesis... its tricky stuff but incredible

whos your brother then?
FoundationStepper

reactable is mad too!
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

i was off looking into filter automation for bass lines, trying to get my tacks basses a bit nastier and ...
found a whole bunch of mx/msp shit on dogsonacid? who would have thought

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.ph ... 6&cache=56
Luka

Post by Luka »

would like to but we have already decided that supercollider is our path. my friend runs linux and im about to switch to mac so we thought it seemed like an good brain workout

my programming skills need some work but i have my calculus/matrix theory down pat.

there are some pretty intense autecre max patches floating around. just their gui's are breathtaking alone
problem child
messycreations
FoundationStepper

wish i had the balls to use sc

it sounds better than max...

plus max has some cpu innefeciences, a big issue with fft and buffer recording which is what in doing
Luka

Post by Luka »

aparat has some max tools on his website for live performance that are worth checkin out

its funny how this program seems to be all the rage at the moment. everyone is talking bout it everywhere. i never knew so many people could be bothered with code based tweakin.

interested to hear if anybody builds some good utilities. please post some pictures of your gui's and sounds. am mega keen to hear some results
problem child
messycreations
FoundationStepper

nothing useful as yet

working on a processing patch that emulates resonance of objects, vibrating in response to bass energy
LuKo

Post by LuKo »

hey why you turning to mac luka?

got cash to burn? :lol:
Luka

Post by Luka »

yeah Luko, about to get a student loan.

I have some sources who can use their salary tax rite off to purchase the laptop at a decent discount. So im about to go for a new Macbook Pro Core2. Its time. V.excited. Have had to work on our studio pc for the last year and its a shitty p4. Im so sick of having to freeze tracks.

Wont have to pay back the loan for two years and im pretty much set once i finish uni so im not too worried about going deep.

Going to buy a novation sl25 and Logic, Abelton and some of my software for my field. Going to fun spending so much cash.

Have to hook up. When is the next Alive anyway?!?!
problem child
messycreations