iPhone.. zomg

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mixtress

Re: iPhone.. zomg

Post by mixtress »

does running multiple apps slow down the phone?

How is it normally...does it run fairly quickly with not much lag?
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
skiba

Post by skiba »

depends on what apps you want to run?
the other thing is the more apps you run the faster its going drain your battery life
skiba

Post by skiba »

breaksRbest wrote:I still don't understand the need to jailbreak an iPhone?

somebody please explain it to usk non tech-geeks
basically it allows you to do a whole lot more on the iphone then apple will allow you todo.
but for non geeks its just cool to have different themes, k/boards, lockscreens and a few handy tools for eg: having a 5 icon dock + five icons across your springboard..
well worth doing if you know how or know someone that knows how to jailbreak..
skiba

Post by skiba »

if your nice to me i might do it for free =P
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I've got to say that as much as I love my Iphone the battery is pretty ghey.

I wouldn't want to be stuck in the outback with only that for communication lets put it that way.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I think I'll leave my iPhone in jail

already does what I need it to, can't see the point. plus I'd like to keep the warranty intact
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

u cant do the os upgrades with jail break aswell.. and u can only use jail break apps...

dont seem like there much point of doin it 2 me.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

You can use both jailbroken and official appstore apps and you can upgrade the os.
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

iphone, ZOMG indeed.

MIne is fucking dead. Kaput. Gone. :(

dropped it from about 2 feet on the weekend while playing with my puppy and i now have the white screen of death. Read about it on google. Tried to back up and recover it and still nothing.

On a good note (I hope anyway), I went to Optus about getting it fixed. They said you have 2 options, 1) Leave it here and we'll get it fixed up to 2 weeks, or 2) go to apple in chaddy and they will repair or replace on the spot.

So gonna go in soon and see what they can do .. I hope i ain't lost my data but i backed it up (Itunes still knows the phone is there so it must be a LCD issue?)

Farken. :(

Goes to show that i have now developed an unhealthy dependance on this little fucker. I have EVERYTHING in it now... Lesson learned. back shit up.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

have dropped mine twice in the last week and the screen is completely farked. can't believe it still works though. going to the doctors today, so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

back to the old peanut phone...it's ghey.

although it has made me realise how much i hate texting on an iphone.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

yay. apple just gave me a shiny brand spaking new one !!! :):):)

restoring from old back up now.. will see what happens..

pretty mad tho. brand new one.. stoked.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
witty_pseudonym

i want a freshie!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

witty_pseudonym wrote:have dropped mine twice in the last week and the screen is completely farked. can't believe it still works though. going to the doctors today, so hopefully it won't cost too much to fix.

back to the old peanut phone...it's ghey.

although it has made me realise how much i hate texting on an iphone.
Same. Dropped it on tiles on the weekend (the old slipped out of your pocket when you go the loo thing) :(

Was all excited thinking I could update to a 16GB and get a new one. 8)

Now they can replace the screen, so not so new one for me. :( but thats ok, fix it and give it back, stat.

Using an old Nokia, which yeah Witty, the texting is great and back to fast as fuck hey, but I want my iphone back!! Keep going to check my emails or something and realising, oh thats right, I canna do nuthin like that on this one. :lol:

Check this app on youtube.

Isnort.

Pisser. :lol:
skiba

Post by skiba »

+1 for isnort =)

anyone with a jailbroken phone instead of using cydia get icy. works the same as cydia but a whole lot faster and better looking GUI =)
witty_pseudonym

i miss my iphone.
peanut ftl.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

I'm stroking my shiny new iPhone now w_p :teef:
witty_pseudonym

too much information! :lol:

getting a freshie!
the old one was "beyond repair." lolz. need to get me a case.
just hoping that i backed up all my numbers properly. :?
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

probably been asked before but...

is there a way to get your itunes tracks as the ringtones? or just some new ringtones without signing up to some rip off scheme?
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Not that im aware of.

If you have a pc, download Iringer...really easy. if youve got a mac, you gotta use garage band.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

and how does that help? convert them into ringtones?
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

yeppers. 30 seconds of any part of any tune.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Its pretty easy really, convert the tune or portion of the tune to aac using itunes, find it in explorer, rename the file extension to m4r, then double click on the file or drag it into itunes.

it will appear under 'ringtones'
nic

Post by nic »

i n33d one of these i think
quickly

get get get
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

so how do i turn tunes into ring tones on a mac again?

:notsavvy:
almax

Post by almax »

DBoy wrote:so how do i turn tunes into ring tones on a mac again?

you can do it in garageband, you have to cut the clip to 40 seconds or less then send it to itunes as a ringtone, easy as pie. I did under mi sensi the other day, awesome as a ringtone.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

DBoy wrote:so how do i turn tunes into ring tones on a mac again?

I followed the help cos I was clueless.

open itunes and open garage band

Grab the tune you want from itunes and drag and drop it into garage band.

Find the part of the track you want and thats it. I think save as ringtone maybe?? Cant remember, but mega easy. Wonder if you could mash some tracks together and use a megamix as ringtone or something???? Oohh thats an thought :lol:
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

iPhone 3G S Announced: Faster, 3MP Camera, Video, Improved Battery and More

After months of rumors and speculations, Apple announced their eagerly awaited third generation iPhone at the WWDC Keynote address today. They are calling it iPhone 3G S and as many (including our reader, Gilberto) had guessed ‘S’ stands for speed.

There are no changes in the physical design of iPhone 3G S as compared to iPhone 3G but brings some changes under the hood.

iPhone 3G S has the following features:

Speed:

As mentioned earlier, 'S' in iPhone 3G S stands for speed. It is the fastest iPhone that Apple has created.

Apple mentioned in their Keynote address that it will be 2.1x faster to launch Messages, 2.4x to load SimCity, 3.6x faster to load an Excel attachment, 2.9x faster to load a large website.

I’m guessing that will be mainly due to a faster processor and hopefully more RAM. Apple usually does not mention these details, so we will find out as soon it is available.

Better Camera:

iPhone 3G S comes with a 3-megapixel camera which will allow users to take better still photos, thanks to the built-in autofocus.

The autofocus feature works as we had heard, you can tap on the display to focus on anything or anyone you want.

But one of the killer features of iPhone 3G S has to be the ability to shoot videos at 30 frames per second VGA with audio and with autofocus, auto white balance, and auto exposure in both portrait and landscape mode.

You will also be able to trim the videos right on the iPhone and share them either via email, post them to your MobileMe gallery, publish it on YouTube, or sync it back to your Mac or PC using iTunes.

Faster Internet connectivity:

It supports the 7.2 Mbps HSDPA standard which would mean improved internet connectivity.

A faster processor with support for faster internet connectivity will significantly improve the user experience which is already one of the best in the smartphone market.

Graphics:

We missed this while covering the Keynote address but Apple’s new iPhone will support the OpenGL|ES standard, for faster and more complicated 3D games.

Improved Battery Life:

It will have improved battery life as seen in the table below.

Design:

As you can see from the screenshots below, there is no change in the design of the new iPhone when you compare it with iPhone 3G.

However, Apple has used greener materials in the new iPhone such as Arsenic-free glass, BDF-free, Mercury-free LCD. But no OLED, which is a pity as it would have further improved battery life.
So all the so-called leaked images of Apple’s new iPhone were fake.

Digital Compass:

It includes a compass application which makes use of the built-in magnetometer. It will also be integrated with the built-in Maps app which will show orientation with longitude and latitude.

Voice Control:

It also includes a voice control app which can be used to make calls or play music from iPhone’s music library by speaking into the iPhone.

Nike+:

Apple has also included built-in Nike + iPod support in iPhone 3G S,which was included in iPod Touch 2nd generation.

Release date:

iPhone 3G S will be available on June 19th.
...................................................................................................................................................
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

iPhone OS 3.0 coming on June 17; Brings Movie Downloads, Faster Safari;

NEW FEATURES!

Cut, Copy & Paste: Users will be able to cut, copy and paste text. The blocks of text could be selected from application and web by simply taping the content. You can check this page to find out how it works.

Landscape Mode: iPhone OS 3.0 will allow users to use iPhone's virtual keyboard in landscape mode in mails, messages, notes.

MMS: Users will be able to send and receive photos, audio, vCard (contact cards), and ‘location' with the ability to take photos and videos right inside the message.

Apple announced that MMS support for AT&T will only become available in late summer although a number of carriers across the globe will support MMS.

Note: MMS is not supported on first-generation iPhone. Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G, since, the camera can't capture video.

Movies and TV Shows direct download: Apple announced that with iPhone OS 3.0, users will be able to rent and download movies, tv shows directly onto their iPhones.

Apple already allows users to download songs, podcasts and iPhone apps over the air using iPhone’s data connection if the file size is less than 10 MB, if the file size is more than 10 MB, users will have to download it over Wi-Fi. Thus, it is anyone's guess that Apple is indirectly stating that this feature will only work over Wi-Fi.

Tethering Capability: iPhone OS 3.0 will also bring the ability to tether the iPhone to feed a data connection to your computer and surf the internet. However it will depend on carriers to add tethering support on their networks.

Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. AT&T was absent from the list of carriers that allow tethering. Some of the networks that allow tethering include names such as bharti, Telefonica, Hutchinson Telecom, Orange, O2, T-Mobile,Vodafone, and Chunghwa Telecom.

Safari Improvements: Safari on iPhone OS 3.0 is now 3 times faster in iPhone OS 3.0 and will have the autofill username and password feature.

Safari also brings support for HTTP streaming audio and video. It will automatically determine best quality for your connection

Find My iPhone and wipe feature: iPhone OS 3.0 will include a feature called 'Find my iPhone'. The service will obtain iPhone's location and make it available to MobileMe user on request if the unit is lost or stolen.

The users will be able to protect their privacy by sending remote wipe instructions, which will wipe off all data from lost or stolen iPhones.

Peer to Peer Connectivity: This will allow users to play multiplayer games and to share information.

In App Purchase: Apple has introduced a new business model, which adds more ways for the developers to charge users for an iPhone app. The models are Subscriptions, charging for additional content or levels.

ScrollMotion who creates ebook apps for the App Store demoed its new iPhone App that will make use of the In-app purchase to download books directly through the iPhone App.

Third-party Accessories: This feature will allow Accessory manufacturers to create applications to interface with their hardware accessories through Dock Connector or Bluetooth.

As an example, Line6 and Planet Waves demoed their app that allows you to control your guitar and Amp using your iPhone.

Push Notification Service: One of the most anticipated features of iPhone OS 3.0 and Apple's solution or workaround for the ability to run third party iPhone apps in the background especially for applications like Instant Messenger, Facebook etc.

Apart from the above features, iPhone OS 3.0 will also sport the following features:

Video Recording and Editing: With the iPhone OS 3.0 users will be able to carry out basic video editing on their iPhone 3G S. The 3-megapixel improved camera and video recording capability in iPhone 3G S are sure to be a delight.

Note: This feature will not be available to the first generation iPhone and iPhone 3G users.

Spotlight (Universal Search Feature): Spotlight for iPhone will allow the user to search contacts, emails, calendars, notes etc. Spotlight for iPhone will now be your new left-most home screen. You can just start typing in the search box which will bring up a list of everything that matches your search. Users will be able to search contacts, messages etc and will also be able to launch the searched applications.

Voice Memos: Users will be able to record notes, lectures, interviews, or any audio on the go using the built-in microphone or using the mic on their headset. Users will also to share their recorded voice files either as an email or MMS.

Bluetooth Support: iPhone OS 3.0 will support bluetooth allowing users to use bluetooth stereo headphones and speaker with their iPhone 3G.

Turn By Turn GPS: With iPhone OS 3.0, users will be able to see third party Turn by Turn GPS apps for the iPhone. However, developers will need to include their own maps due to licensing issues. TomTom demoed its turn-by-turn GPS application for the iPhone with voice navigation, which was pretty cool.

SMS App enhancements: Users will be able to forward and delete multiple text messages and will be able to use the landscape mode.

Parental Controls: With iPhone OS 3.0 Apple will introduce age-based parental control for iPhone Apps. This feature will allow users to restrict kids from accessing certain music, video and app.

Multiple Account log-in: With iPhone OS 3.0 users will be able to create and log in to multiple iTunes account on their iPhones.

Battery Indicator: With the iPhone OS 3.0, the battery indicator, in addition to the current battery bar, will display the remaining battery power in percentage.

Support for Exchange: Mail, iCal, and Address Book now all support Exchange.

Automatic Wi-Fi: Upon connection iPhone will automatically logs you in to a previously joined Wi-Fi hotspot.

Sync Note: Users will now be able to sync their notes on their PCs or Macs.

You Tube Login: Users will have an option to login to their You Tube accounts, save and sync the bookmarks and to rate favorites.

Shake to Shuffle: Shake your iPhone with OS 3.0 and it will shuffle to a different song in your music library.

New Languages: iPhone improves it multi-lingual capabilities by supporting 30 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts.
Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic »

How about 'Turn off Cover Flow in iPod'. Shits me.
deviant

Post by deviant »

man, that's an impressive list of new (and useful) new features.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

CANNOT WAIT !!!!!
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Can't wait for the SMS fixes. Also can't wait for the TomTom app and car kit! Looks nuts!

http://iphone.tomtom.com/iphone.html
mecka

Post by mecka »

TomTom would be stupid to undermine their own product by releasing software for another one. Don't understand TBH.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

There is a hardware component to the kit, and considering they have to pay microsoft since the patent lawsuits (http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24159/1090/) on the os that runs their own hardware, it's probably a sensible move...
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

yeah, os 3.0 is really very nice. been running it for a fair while and can't really complain at all. haven't got mms working yet as optus are arseclowns, but maybe that's fixed by now. the best feature by far which i've not seen mentioned anywhere is changing the seek granularity!

i.e. when you're moving through a song, if you have your finger in the top quarter of the screen, it'll move, say, 2min at a time in a long mix. if you move your finger down a little bit, it'll move 1min at a time. if you move your finger down again, it'll move 30sec at a time, and down again for 2sec at a time. it's kinda hard to describe but absolute genius for mixes, because you can always get exactly where you want to the second, compared to trying to get within 3min before.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

How much (as a percentage) do you think an iPhone with 3.0 improves your creativity?

I'm thinking about getting into graphic design / advertising / marketing and at the moment I only have a Blackberry. I'm worried that I will come across as "too serious" or "a drone" in interviews. I really want to explore my creative side, and think a new iPhone might just be the best way to do it.

Thoughts?
Don't hate me for house
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

:lol:

Just because the world is catching on to the seriousness of good design does not mean you need to be seriously creative to enjoy it. However, seriously enjoying it may well add to your creativity, that same creativity which has been crushed by surrounding yourself with shit design for so long. After all, your speak like who you hang with and piece like who you bang with....
@MILCO@

Post by @MILCO@ »

woo hoo optus will have the new iphone this friday! plan look ok as well

http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocapor ... e=personal
-------
The answer is more Horsepower......Doesnt matter what the question is...
my cars 1972 LJ GTR torana, 1974 HQ V8 Monaro, 1976 tagged V8 LX torana, 1973 HQ V8 one tonner
deviant

Post by deviant »

hmmmm, want

have resisted for so long... can fight it no more
@MILCO@

Post by @MILCO@ »

yeah same as me, i almost went and got one a few weeks ago lucky i waited!
-------
The answer is more Horsepower......Doesnt matter what the question is...
my cars 1972 LJ GTR torana, 1974 HQ V8 Monaro, 1976 tagged V8 LX torana, 1973 HQ V8 one tonner
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Of course you can but it seems pointless as optus iPhone plans are priced higher than non iphone plans? Unless this has changed from when I worked for optus.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Actually you may run in to one problem. On mobile phones you have these things set on your account called APNs and on normal accounts they are all the same so you can use any phone so Internet apn, mms apn, wap apn etc. However blackberry and iPhone plans get their own apns because they run on the network differently. So iPhone lacks mms apn for example so you would have to tell optus you want them added to your account.
gnat

Post by gnat »

hmmm still not sold....

foo what about the new nokia N97 or whatevs it's called?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
deviant

Post by deviant »

can buy online from 9pm tonight.... with free courier delivery on saturday... BOH

stores open at midnight.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

gnat wrote:hmmm still not sold....

foo what about the new nokia N97 or whatevs it's called?
still rubbish ...
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
deviant

Post by deviant »

lol, I stayed up 'til 9 for the offer... optus.com.au not working :(

fail
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Wow, you must have been pretty sleepy by 9pm Dan!
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

shutup khunt... I had a gig at 4am and work today
deviant

Post by deviant »

lol... Sydney Apple store says "no tyre kickers!"

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1034 ... from-wire/
almax

Post by almax »

Anyone here play chess?
I got iphone application for chess called "chess with friends" and need some more people to play with.
Serious playerz only, no chumps :teef: :book:

just search for my profile "almax" and challenge me