iPhone.. zomg

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

really??

this one >>

http://www.nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,88369,00.html

its kinda new isnt it??

cant find any i like, they all look wanky and have too many dumb features ill never use!!
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

interface geeks spooge here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

valuetime wrote:interface geeks spooge here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/

But I just cleaned my keyboard again! :hal:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
gnat

Post by gnat »

ghetto kitty wrote:really??

this one >>

http://www.nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,88369,00.html

its kinda new isnt it??

cant find any i like, they all look wanky and have too many dumb features ill never use!!
yeh, could not lady

all the black peels off and it looks like shit

mine has taken to turning itself off at least four times a day too

i'm going to 'lose' it and claim a freshie
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gnatty >
ahhhh feck. good to know thuogh...

id be buying it outright too so no freshie option...
now im really stumped though...

dumb phones....all are wanky...

anyone reccomend an option with not too manty dumb features and durable
(i have a flip phone now cos i throw it at the ground all the time (accidentally!)
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

The Mixtress wrote:Nokia lies! My N70 can't handle more than 1.5 hours of talk time but it quotes 3.5. It's also pipped at 11 days standby. Bullshit. I might get 3 days if I'm lucky. And if I use the vibration option, or take pics, it can be as low as 1-2 days.
It also switches itself off whenever it pleases (usually in the middle of a text) even when the battery's full. Ohh, and it swaps the local time for London time too. A real pain in the ass when you've got an alarm.

It's only 8 months old :cry:

I quote Gnat : piece of shit, I hate it's guts :x

I :heart: my N70

I talk a shitload on it and charge it once a week

Mixxy, you got a lemon
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

breaksRbest wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:Nokia lies! My N70 can't handle more than 1.5 hours of talk time but it quotes 3.5. It's also pipped at 11 days standby. Bullshit. I might get 3 days if I'm lucky. And if I use the vibration option, or take pics, it can be as low as 1-2 days.
It also switches itself off whenever it pleases (usually in the middle of a text) even when the battery's full. Ohh, and it swaps the local time for London time too. A real pain in the ass when you've got an alarm.

It's only 8 months old :cry:

I quote Gnat : piece of shit, I hate it's guts :x

I :heart: my N70

I talk a shitload on it and charge it once a week

Mixxy, you got a lemon
Yeah, that's what I thought, so I took it back and they 'repaired' it. Two weeks later I took it back again and they replaced it with a 'new' one. Same issues :(

Tell me, is it normal that sometimes the light doesn't come on when go to unlock it? And if you do manage to type the right code without the backlight, shouldn't the light come on when you're trying to send a message?? At first I thought it was some kind of power saving thing, but it happens even when it's full. MOST annoying :smt076
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

how bout the nokia 880 slick metal htingie...??

anyone??
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ghetto kitty wrote:how bout the nokia 880 slick metal htingie...??

anyone??
it's pretty pimp, and also runs s40, so you're safe.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

Wow that iPhone does look snazzy!
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

Sony Ericsson k800i kicks ass, almost all my friends have one. Good battery, good camera, and all around the best phone i have had.
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Lauer wrote:Sony Ericsson k800i kicks ass, almost all my friends have one. Good battery, good camera, and all around the best phone i have had.
Sorry to bring you bad news but its a shit phone. I work at 3 optus store and the the k800's that were store demo have failed. I hope you got extended warranty coz the joystick will not last 12 months.

Come see me if you need a new phone people, I'll tell you how it is not what you want to hear.
deviant

Post by deviant »

which store?
kronz
Location: so a family walks into a talent agent and the talent agent says "what's your act"?

Post by kronz »

Brunswick, Northland and eastland optus'
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Lauer

Post by Lauer »

kronz wrote:
Lauer wrote:Sony Ericsson k800i kicks ass, almost all my friends have one. Good battery, good camera, and all around the best phone i have had.
Sorry to bring you bad news but its a shit phone. I work at 3 optus store and the the k800's that were store demo have failed. I hope you got extended warranty coz the joystick will not last 12 months.

Come see me if you need a new phone people, I'll tell you how it is not what you want to hear.
I've had it for over 6 months now and its been fine, so we will just have to wait and see.

but come to think of it, some of my mates ones do freez and it takes about 5-10 seconds to come back but other than that all have been sweet.

no bubble burst though, i dont get terribly attached to stuff :lol:
kronz

Post by kronz »

However the K800 has a fucking cool mini golf game.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

This iPhone functionally looks shit. You're all splooging over technology that will be 1 year old by the time you get it in your hands.

Non-Removable Battery, Mini OSX can only run widgets (and not apps), 4 or 8gb (wow, just get a nano :rolleyes:). Wow I can scroll with my finger!

Palm 650 or 680 looks like the way to go.

Kevin Rose also got it wrong, it doesn't slide and it doesn't have 2 batteries.
kronz

Post by kronz »

I have to agree. The touch screen thing whilst it seems good will end up pissing you off like you wouldn't believe. Text messages will become impossible. Not to mention that as its an apple it will cost a packed for any accessories.

The LG KG800 has a touch screen and it sucks balls. It unlocks itself all the time in peoples pockets. Furthermore why dont phone just use a usb rather than these specifically designed plugs?

I think this phone will have some cool features but in the end suck balls.
GO CATS! GO CATS!
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

I used to sell phones and fix them.

Motorolas suck.

I recently got a Samsung Z510 or some shit, I tell ya its been rather good!

Touch screen, mmmm expensive to replace! No one concerned about the sheer size of this iPhone thing? It looks like a goddamn paver!!?
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

*catalyst wrote:Touch screen, mmmm expensive to replace! No one concerned about the sheer size of this iPhone thing? It looks like a goddamn paver!!?
Gold!

Apple should be pretty farking happy with all the coverage this release is getting. Every channel, every news broadcast, internet news...it's everywhere!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

yeah, text entry is going to be shit -- no-one's ever said otherwise.

the point of this device is that it's multiple devices in one, so you don't have to carry them all. that's why the world's largest mobile phone manufacturer has a large group called 'convergence products'.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Direktor wrote:
jbs wrote:Whats wrong with ipods?

Mine has been rock solid apart from one "crash".

I'm on my third nokia in six months.
Maybe it's the actual model you chose, or you just have bad luck coz NOKIA FOR LIFE!

I've had Nokia's since 1998 (prob about 3-4 different ones) and one Sony Ericsson, of which I will never get again.

Love the menu's and OS of the Nokia.

I guess at the end of the day, like Mac vs PC - it's what you're used to, and there's probably bad examples found within all brands.
Agreed. I'm on my second Nokia in 5 years. Have flirte with SOny Erricson (packeded up and died quickly) and one of those flip fone Razor things that Ive still got but couldn't for the OS and bad auto spell function. (will gladly part with it for cash or barter).
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

can you right click on these things?

:teef:
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Apparently Apple, Inc. are touting it as the next iPod and not the next revolution in phones. Although people are seeing it this way.

It's definately not a smartphone, and it's definately not a futureproofed 3G phone. It definately is the video/phone iPod a lot of people have been wanting in the first place.

Waiting 6-12months is a big call on Apples part. Other companies could come in with a slew of new products to match or better Apple's efforts in the GUI stakes. Nokia didn't seem too phazed, but they understood the brand power behind iPod.

Looks like another format wars for the handheld market. OSX, Symbian, Palm, PocketPC. In the end it will boil down to user interface and what works best with what. A lot of fanboys are willing to part with their hard-earned to find this out no matter how shit some may think this iPhone is.

It will be a runaway success.

Microsoft and Sony must be in agony. Apparently their stocks are taking sharp nose dives.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Rob M wrote:Microsoft and Sony must be in agony. Apparently their stocks are taking sharp nose dives.
And Apple's gone up 7% or 7 points...something like that. Would love to be a shareholder right now :D
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

*catalyst wrote:No one concerned about the sheer size of this iPhone thing? It looks like a goddamn paver!!?
fooishbar wrote:Image

It doesn't look too big to me. ;)

It's a waiting game to see what the touch screen is like, but Apple is very good at industrial design if you go by the company's track record of products.

BTW: Sony went up, Ericsson went down on the NASDAQ. ;)
deviant

Post by deviant »

I bought my current phone (and 1GB memory chip) to use as an mp3 player..... WORST EVER!!

the amp is not powerful enough
you can't scroll through long tracks easily (IE: mixes)
no alternative headphone jack
impossible to negotiate UI for the media player
the data transfer is MEGA fucking slow.....
I have about 100MB of photos on there and it takes FOREVER just to browse through them.

:roll:

so, in short, this looks like something I'd be able to actually use.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

kronz wrote:
i do i do!!!

and im near northland tooooo....

when can i drop in and see you?
weekdays only or weekend too???

:wink:
gnat

Post by gnat »

ghetto kitty wrote:
kronz wrote:
i do i do!!!

who do you work for?

i'm under contract with b

i'm gagging to get rid of mine- might have to buy a phone outright becoz contract not up til sept

if i 'lose' it and claim it they'll give mt the same one as a replacement and i couldn't
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

gnat wrote:everything's going slimline. this technology started with feminine hygiene products i think
funny shit![/quote]
almax

Post by almax »

Apple faces iPhone trademark lawsuit
Email Print Normal font Large font Saved Asher Moses
January 11, 2007 - 10:36AM

Cisco's Linksys Wireless-G Phone for Skype, dubbed the iPhone (left) and Apple's new iPhone (right).

Cisco Systems has announced it is suing Apple for infringing its "iPhone" trademark, which the networking giant said it has owned since 2000.

The lawsuit was filed in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, and seeks to prevent Apple from "infringing upon and deliberately copying and using Cisco's registered iPhone trademark".

The suit will no doubt dampen the immense hype surrounding Apple's iPhone, whose announcement yesterday caused the company's share price to surge by more than 8 per cent.

Analysts and media worldwide hailed the phone as "game-changing" and "revolutionary".

Cisco's move comes just one day after it said it was in negotiations with Apple to give it permission to use the trademark as the name for its hybrid mobile phone product.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone during his Macworld keynote address in San Francisco on Tuesday.

A Cisco announcement, released after Mr Jobs's speech, stated only "a few remaining items" in the agreement needed to be sorted out, and that "we expect to receive a signed agreement today".

Wednesday's lawsuit suggests that the agreement was not signed and that Apple and Cisco disagreed over the licensing terms.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco's senior vice-president and general counsel.

"There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

The iPhone trademark was initially obtained by Infogear on March 20 1996, and transferred to Cisco in 2000 after it acquired the company.

Cisco is seeking an injunction to prevent Apple from using the iPhone name.

Apple registered the iPhone trademark in Australia in 2002 and also owns it in Britain.

Cisco's US iPhone trademark remained largely unused until, in December last year amid intense speculation over a possible iPhone release from Apple, Cisco unveiled a voice over internet protocol (VoIP) handset range through its Linksys division.

It was criticised for its apparent attempt to capitalise on the media buzz the iPhone was generating at the time, and it is expected that Wednesday's lawsuit will only intensify this criticism.

But Terry Albertstein, Cisco's director of corporate affairs for the Asia Pacific region, "absolutely" denies that Cisco is simply attempting to capitalise on the media furore surrounding the iPhone.

"A lot of industry analysts have speculated that this is about money or about the hype that the Apple announcement has generated, but that’s actually not the case," he said.

"It’s really a very good faith effort on our part to utilise our trademark.

"We remain open to trying to negotiate a settlement with them, to have them use the iPhone trademark with our legal permission."
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Go Cisco. Apple shouldn't get away with that shit. You want the name, you pay for the name...or come up with your own.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

The Mixtress wrote:Go Cisco. Apple shouldn't get away with that shit. You want the name, you pay for the name...or come up with your own.

I don't think that this matter is anywhere near as clear cut as that. The courts (or, more likely, a settlement) will decide the result.

Cisco only acquired the trademark through acquisition (the original trademark was prompted by the iMac bandwagon) and had never used it until late last year.
PahMaLa

Post by PahMaLa »

That's the problem with "Trade marks" they are always copied one way or another i.e. Sony - Sonyo, iPod - iPaq
Competitive world out there.
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

I reckon iPaq might have been around pre- iPod? not sure.

A better name would be Phonei, pronounced Phoney. Much more apt!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

system wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:Go Cisco. Apple shouldn't get away with that shit. You want the name, you pay for the name...or come up with your own.

I don't think that this matter is anywhere near as clear cut as that. The courts (or, more likely, a settlement) will decide the result.

Cisco only acquired the trademark through acquisition (the original trademark was prompted by the iMac bandwagon) and had never used it until late last year.
If Cisco bought Infogear, then the iPhone trademark is theirs, right?
Acquired means bought. Bought means owned. IMO Cisco's doing a good thing. If Cisco and Apple were still in dispute over the name, then Apple acted a little khuntishly by releasing the iPhone before the dispute was settled. Why would Apple even approach Cisco about it if they were just planning on using the trademarked name anyway? It just sounds like dumb.

You don't fuck with a company as big as Cisco, they'll fuck you back.
almax

Post by almax »

*catalyst wrote:
A better name would be Phonei, pronounced Phoney. Much more apt!
:lol:
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

The Mixtress wrote:If Cisco and Apple were still in dispute over the name, then Apple acted a little khuntishly by releasing the iPhone before the dispute was settled. Why would Apple even approach Cisco about it if they were just planning on using the trademarked name anyway?

They were in negotiations over the trademark. The lawyers didn't talk to the marketing people.

This stuff happens all the time in the tech industry. It will be resolved very quickly is my guess, most likely out of court.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

lynt

Post by lynt »

D wrote:That's the problem with "Trade marks" they are always copied one way or another i.e. Sony - Sonyo, iPod - iPaq
Competitive world out there.
Homer: Look at these low, low prices on famous brand-name electronics!

Bart: Don't be a sap, Dad. These are just crappy knock-offs.

Homer: Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look there's Magnetbox and Sorny.

Salesman: Listen, I'm not going to lie to you. Those are all superior machines. But if you like to watch your TV, and I mean _really_ watch it, you want the Carnivale'. It features two-pronged wall plug, pre-molded hand grip well, durable outer casing to prevent fallapart...

Homer: Sold. You wrap it up, I'll start bringing in the pennies.
deviant

Post by deviant »

we had "somy" headphones at my old work :lol:
kronz

Post by kronz »

ghetto kitty wrote:
kronz wrote:
i do i do!!!

Ghetto $ Gnat

I'm at Northland optus all weekend. Then Brunswick optus monday and tuesday if you want to drop by.
advocatus_diaboli

Post by advocatus_diaboli »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk

Yeah watch tha fone work!!
They reckon its gonna cost USD$500. I reckon every cunt will have one in a year.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

The photo functions seem pretty darn coolski. The ability to zoom into the pics is amazing.
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

I'm predisposed to hating small format cameras, so I'd rather have more battery power than a fucking camera in a *phone*

I think I'm pre-jaded on all this shit purely because i've dabbled with 'convergence' products before and they've all been shithouse. Dan cites an excellent example of mobile 'urban lifestyle/soccer mum' product gone wrong.

I had the unfortunate experience of owning a Motorola E398- It was a very bad phone that doubled as a very bad MP3 player.

TO PROPRIETARY HEAD PHONE JACKS, AUSTRALIA SAYS NO-

Think Big.

big ups from n'cote massif
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

system wrote:
The Mixtress wrote:If Cisco and Apple were still in dispute over the name, then Apple acted a little khuntishly by releasing the iPhone before the dispute was settled. Why would Apple even approach Cisco about it if they were just planning on using the trademarked name anyway?

They were in negotiations over the trademark. The lawyers didn't talk to the marketing people.

This stuff happens all the time in the tech industry. It will be resolved very quickly is my guess, most likely out of court.

(*cough*) :)
mrj

Post by mrj »

I-phone as a name doesn't make sense when you think about it. If they stuck to the naming of all the stuff shouldn't it be called I-talk.

Plus they could release all sorts of different models and features based on personality types

I-wobbles = the I-phone with a soft plastic/gel casing. Comes with clown step ring tones.

I-pose = the hands free kit

I-wank = hmmmm maybe THAT should be the hands free kit. or the case that you hang off your belt

I-get no reception = the 3G compatible model
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i-spose
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
mrj

Post by mrj »

I believe thats the model they are releasing for people who can't decide whether they want one.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
lynt

Post by lynt »