Aussie Hip Hop

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Baddums

Re: Aussie Hip Hop

Post by Baddums »

the Foreign Beggars tour keeps getting pushed back but we're hoping to get them out here for Heavy Innit in April 2010
calstro

Post by calstro »

^^^Sweet.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

^ what has this to do with Aussie hip-hop?

Decent gig on Friday night for the Obese Block Party - although THE SOUND SUCKED BALLS.

Seriously, to not be able to understand what the majority of MC's are saying at a hip-hop gig is akin to not being able to hear the guitar from a guitar virtuoso show...

I was really impressed with Spit Syndicate.

And Calvs: yeah, Chasm writes some awesome beats. His dub reggae influenced stuff is right up my alley. Nice bloke too.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

agree direkt....though i was chatting with a well respected sound engineer the other day about hip hop gigs and he swore that often its the 'gangsta' way of holding the mic that so many MCs are fond of that muffles the lyrics. ?

and calvs - i like the aussie accent in rhymes, i just hate it when MC's (especially chicks) SCREAM the lyrics....i like the laid back, rolling style better....and your right about it being 'staunch'
everyone is so damn serious at hip hop gigs!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

ghetto kitty wrote:agree direkt....though i was chatting with a well respected sound engineer the other day about hip hop gigs and he swore that often its the 'gangsta' way of holding the mic that so many MCs are fond of that muffles the lyrics. ?
Definitely plays a major part. Cupping the mic and yelling into it is a great method if you don't want people to understand what you're actually saying. :wink:

But when the whole system, mic included, is just bass and sub bass - you know there's more at play.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Don't suppose anyone has any spare GA tickets for the Hoods?
Don't hate me for house
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Direkt wrote: But when the whole system, mic included, is just bass and sub bass - you know there's more at play.
Dubstep?
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

possibly, yes
Calvs

Post by Calvs »

http://www.myspace.com/dialectrix

this is a badman lyricist/flowist

Direkt: Ur on point man.. there his stand out tracks on his album

Ghetto Cat: dudes jus tryen to make a name for emselves..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah, but the douchebags should know we care more about what they say than how they hold the damn mic!

:teef:

;)
mrj

Post by mrj »

not me. I think it's awesome if you hold the mic sideways, who cares how your diction is. everybody knows that side holding = awesome. this principle extends to many facets of life

hand in your assignment sideways = teacher less likely to see you name = more likely A+

hold your old fella sideways = better control

drive sideways (on two wheels) = more likely to fit down tight alleys

hold your bike sideways = rad cornerning
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Tommorrow night

The Album Launch for Ciecmate & Newsense as well as Fluent Form (both launching albums on the night)
with Swarmy (SYD), Mata & Must and Dj's Doc Felix and Dj Nathan is on at Miss L's this Friday Dec 18th.
I like these guys! Come down n check it out with me guys...

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

mrj wrote:not me. I think it's awesome if you hold the mic sideways, who cares how your diction is. everybody knows that side holding = awesome. this principle extends to many facets of life

hand in your assignment sideways = teacher less likely to see you name = more likely A+

hold your old fella sideways = better control

drive sideways (on two wheels) = more likely to fit down tight alleys

hold your bike sideways = rad cornerning
Just read this for the first time... gold.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Have been diggin The Tounges album.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I've grabbed a few albums of late as well...

Spit Syndicate - 'Towards The Light': too much r'n'b influence for me, more misses than hits
Horrorshow - 'Inside Story': some awesome tunes, some not so. "In" is an amazing track.
Illy - 'Long Story Short': as above...
Amick

Post by Amick »

Listened to a few tracks of this album, not bad. He's part of Train of Thought.

Levelheaded - The Spice of Life LP

Able

Post by Able »

Soundcloud.com/able8
Thecommunity.com.au/able
Uncomfortablebeats.com
Able

Post by Able »

ghetto kitty wrote:agree direkt....though i was chatting with a well respected sound engineer the other day about hip hop gigs and he swore that often its the 'gangsta' way of holding the mic that so many MCs are fond of that muffles the lyrics. ?

and calvs - i like the aussie accent in rhymes, i just hate it when MC's (especially chicks) SCREAM the lyrics....i like the laid back, rolling style better....and your right about it being 'staunch'
everyone is so damn serious at hip hop gigs!
I think they mostly cuff the mic to get more volume out of it, either because they didn't think(or know) to ask the sound man for more vox in the wedges, or they are just not used to playing live and assume thats how you hold a mic. I also think clarity is really important and something that lots of MC's often overlook.

And yes agro/bogan rap is bad...promoters who put this on wonder why their nights get shut down, but you look at the artists they book and all they ever talk about is fighting and smashing in their lyrics...its funny coz you meet them afterwards and they are nice guys....if the MC uses the word 'cunt' in every second sentence and only ever gets as deep as talking about how good he/she is without ever actually letting the music/rhymes do the talking for them you know it's probably not worth listening to.

Also i think a lot of Australian hip hop does sound unnatural because lots of MC's over accentuate their accent when rapping...because its the 'thing to do' or something.

ATM where we are at with Aussie hip hop is people look at it as its own genre so people aspire to be like other AU hip hop artists, thats why we have albums with the same generic themes in songs...youve got your standard drinking song, standard fuck the government song, party song (to get the crowd moving), and maybe one topical song (to get deep) etc etc

this is why i find it hard listening to lots of Aussie Hip Hop...

At the end of the day Aussie Hip Hop should not even be labelled as such, because it's really just Hip Hop that happened to be made in Australia, and if its true hip hop its a universal sound and understanding.

Sorry for the rant
Soundcloud.com/able8
Thecommunity.com.au/able
Uncomfortablebeats.com
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

don't apologise mate.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Able wrote: And yes agro/bogan rap is bad...promoters who put this on wonder why their nights get shut down, but you look at the artists they book and all they ever talk about is fighting and smashing in their lyrics...its funny coz you meet them afterwards and they are nice guys....if the MC uses the word 'cunt' in every second sentence and only ever gets as deep as talking about how good he/she is without ever actually letting the music/rhymes do the talking for them you know it's probably not worth listening to.
heheh I know a lot of people who say 'cunt' every other word when they ARE NOT rapping, and they are nice guys too!
Its part of certain parts of our culture, thats for sure!
At the end of the day Aussie Hip Hop should not even be labelled as such, because it's really just Hip Hop that happened to be made in Australia, and if its true hip hop its a universal sound and understanding.
I agree, I collect hip hop in other languages when I go overseas, I dont care if i cant understand a word they are saying, I like the rhythym and beats anyhow..ive got some great polish, thai, vietnamese, french and malaysian hip hop...some has bits of english..(could not find any cambodian though, finding hip hop in strange countries is so much fun, in borneo malaysia i had to bribe a young guy to tell me where because they are muslim and dont really admit to liking hip hop/heavy metal etc, or thats what i gathered)
I just made this thread to give credit to locals and have somewhere for those of us here who appreciate aussie hip hop
to talk about it, rather than making a general hip hop thread and then hearing from all the haters of aussie stuff.

rant anytime, i like ranting!

;)
Wax Museum Records

Post by Wax Museum Records »

Our last jam for the year and another DOPE line up of DJ's + IT's FREE!!! Tomorrow night..

DifrntMusic

Post by DifrntMusic »

Great new Aussie Hip Hop Crew 'Blades'

http://www.myspace.com/blades
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Looking forward to this.

Ain't nothing like Dew Wish IMO. Celcius though of course...

View this on Soundcloud

It’s been a few years in the making but we finally have a sneak preview of what Australia’s Def Wish Cast has been working on over the hiatus.

“Dun Proppa” is the lead track from their forthcoming album, Evolution Machine, which features production from Queensland’s Resin Dogs who team up with the UK’s own Brad Baloo (Nextmen). As if that wasn’t enough talent on the beats, the track is also overseen by the mighty Plutonic Lab (Muph n Plutonic), who lends some of his hit making abilities to the mix.

Production on the forthcoming album (due for release in the first quarter of 2012) is handled by the likes of Aria Award winning producer M-Phazes, Plutonic Lab, DJ JS1 (Rocksteady Crew/NYC), Katalyst, Dave Atkins and Katch (Resin Dogs), Dizz1, JP, Sereck, and an original DWC member, DJ Vame. The album also features a new addition to the Def Wish Cast family, Thomas Rock, who takes on the voice of the machine, through his old school electro-inspired vocoder skills. Brisbane’s own Tom Thumb finishes off the list of incredible guests included on this release, with some of the finest human beatbox talent in Australia.

“Def Wish Cast are without a doubt the most important group to shape Australian Hiphop into what it is today. They are the epitome of pioneers, and the fact that they are still making world standard music today is testament to their talent and their dedication to the culture.” – Suffa (Hilltop Hoods)

“Maximum props and respect to the almighty Def Wish Cast!– Bliss n Eso

“Fuckn bangin record! 808 kings!” – Trials (Funkoars)

“One of the groups that really got me into wanting to rap were Skunkhour, who had a rapper in their group and other Australian bands like Def Wish Cast.” – Downsyde