Days Like This

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
HoolaHoop

Re: Days Like This

Post by HoolaHoop »

Mayer / Amp / Theo Parrish / Marky / Roots / Ugly Duckling / Nextmen

best festival lineup i've seen in Aus, hands down !

those still looking for a last minute ticket can hit me up on 0432 446 584 or over email / bookface ;)

$100 a pop !
Amick

Post by Amick »

Ugly Duckling clashing with Joker!!!

Booooo's.

:(

still excited as hell though!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

holy crapola that was fun. paying for it today though.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

This was a very cool party.

Bamboos rocked it at 1:30, and must have been hot in those suits! Amp Fiddler was amazing. Caught the last song of The Swiss which was good, but that stage was running late so we missed Cassette Kids. Dilated Peoples were great, but we left early to see Cat Power, who whilst enjoyable was a little too mellow and bluesy for this kind of festival. Missed Ugly Duckling as we couldn't get in to that area. Caught Neon Indian, who were pretty cool. Roots Manuva was awesome as ever. Made our way into the "dance" area and caught the end of Joker... all I'll say about that is dubstep sucks even more when you put rnb vocals in it. Bukem and Conrad rocked up late and the sound was horrendous, so I left and saw Nextmen. Interestingly, Nextmen had a bigger crowd than Bukem, and I loved it, that is until they started playing dubstep *sigh* They even played a riverside dubstep remix *double sigh* Returned to Bukem via Pivot (I think) where the drummer was thumping! Conrad's microphone was still too loud, but the sound was much better overall. I guess the sound guy had stopped chatting up the girl he was talking to and actually did his job... Then Marky and Stamina jumped up and sounded great, with the crowd going nuts to Marky's scratching. Left to see Redman and Method man for about 15 minutes, but the dnb was better, so returned just to see Marky start playing some old house and cheesy hiphop, which was awesome too.

It was a rather small party, but the vibe reminded me of the first BDO in Adelaide - just lots of happy people there who were music lovers, not party goers.

No short shorts on men, no steroid juice heads (although there were a few drunk topless guys... but it was Sydney), no women dressed like they should be on a catwalk... just an awesome crowd listening to awesome music.

Would definitely go again next year, depending on the line up of course ;)
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

sick sick day, lots of fun! managed to gaffa tape vodka to the inside of each thigh which meant i didnt have to bother with the festival bars which was sweet...

the music at festivals never really bothers me too much, i normally have a wicked one regardless...so there wsnt much i was into i enjoyed musically to be honest, but still had a great time...meth n red sound (i dont remember exactely, but i'm sure Redman went on some random speech about the importance of a 'clean pussy', anyone remember this?) was atrociously bad, swear they got turned down half way thru the set as well and there was loads of bleeding from another stage...Nextmen were pretty fun, Roots Manuva was good tho sound was pretty bad again i thought, enjoyed what i saw of Mayer Hawthorne, but Joker was my favourite set for sure. Really didnt enjoy him at Bass jump but thought he killed this one. That stage was madness, so dark and packed out, felt nice and grimey. Started to watch Bukem anbut Conrads mic was far too loud so i couldnt deal with it...
definitely better than any Melb festival i've been to for overall fun, great crowd too, would def go again
Amick

Post by Amick »

FunkyJ wrote:This was a very cool party.

Bamboos rocked it at 1:30, and must have been hot in those suits! Amp Fiddler was amazing. Caught the last song of The Swiss which was good, but that stage was running late so we missed Cassette Kids. Dilated Peoples were great, but we left early to see Cat Power, who whilst enjoyable was a little too mellow and bluesy for this kind of festival. Missed Ugly Duckling as we couldn't get in to that area. Caught Neon Indian, who were pretty cool. Roots Manuva was awesome as ever. Made our way into the "dance" area and caught the end of Joker... all I'll say about that is dubstep sucks even more when you put rnb vocals in it. Bukem and Conrad rocked up late and the sound was horrendous, so I left and saw Nextmen. Interestingly, Nextmen had a bigger crowd than Bukem, and I loved it, that is until they started playing dubstep *sigh* They even played a riverside dubstep remix *double sigh* Returned to Bukem via Pivot (I think) where the drummer was thumping! Conrad's microphone was still too loud, but the sound was much better overall. I guess the sound guy had stopped chatting up the girl he was talking to and actually did his job... Then Marky and Stamina jumped up and sounded great, with the crowd going nuts to Marky's scratching. Left to see Redman and Method man for about 15 minutes, but the dnb was better, so returned just to see Marky start playing some old house and cheesy hiphop, which was awesome too.

It was a rather small party, but the vibe reminded me of the first BDO in Adelaide - just lots of happy people there who were music lovers, not party goers.

No short shorts on men, no steroid juice heads (although there were a few drunk topless guys... but it was Sydney), no women dressed like they should be on a catwalk... just an awesome crowd listening to awesome music.

Would definitely go again next year, depending on the line up of course ;)

That whole rant in a nutshell was 'BLAH BLAH BLAH I WEAR PANTIES! /RANT"

Days Like This had its fair share of quality acts and it was unfortunate of the set time clashes but if you plotted out who you wanted to see and strategically timed yourself to be at the stages for those performances then every cent spent on the ticket was worth it. I had an absolute blast and can't put in words how much the Melbourne Crew missed out. I really hope they bring this festival to our home town because it would be sold out.

BU's seeing Al Green for free also, he got some 200,000 people or so singing all at once is a decent effort imo.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

OMG so awesome.

My favorite acts were
Dilated peoples.....i had only had one drink at that point and jumped around with a huge smile on my face the whole time.
Joker - loved him. loved that fucking venue too, air con in the walls, light up stairs, mirrored roof! fucking awesome.
Space invadas - also good.
Nextmen - FUN!!!! lots of fun.
Marky and Stamina - fucking hell that was THE BEST END to a festival ever. that place was JUMPING! awesome. and Stamina what an MC, can actually sing like an angel, and knows when to shut up.

I knew not to bother with Cat Power as she has become a born again christain since being with that band and lost her edge entirely. I liked her much better when she was a fucked up tortured alcoholic who could barely make it through a song. and ive seen gigs of both sides. MEH!

but - Method Man & Redman were the main reason I wanted to go, and the sound was SHIT. right side dropped out ten minutes in and hundreds of people yelling 'turn it up' did nothing. SO glad i left and went to see marky instead.

toilets = awesome
drinks = easy to get, mixed and awesome
crowd = fucknig awesome, so polite! so friendly!

in short, this was the best day fest ive ever been to (also best lineup at a day fest for me ever)
and Melbourne needs to do two things
1) bring it to fucking melbourne!!!
2) do it justice!!!

(ill help, who's in?)

PS funky j - you are a pretty jaded dude man, forget adelaide, it was never good and it still isnt, hence why you and so many other who served time there are here. heheheh
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I just saw video that reminded me that everyone sang along to 'heard it on the grapevine' with MC Wrec & Nextmen.

I know it can be cheesy as fuck, but damn I love a good sing a long.

:)
Amick

Post by Amick »

After seeing them live I got the Mayer Hawthorne album yesterday. That is some serious baby making music.

Awesome.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

teehee did you?

i can has?
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ are you two doing rumpy pumpy.....
Amick

Post by Amick »

:roll:

yeah of course GK.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Feigan wrote:^ are you two doing rumpy pumpy.....
:roll: indeed. can a male and female not be friends without everyone thinking they are :3some: ????

Let the record state, that Amick is my friend and if anyone wants to ask me out, they are more than welcome

:smt003
dust

Post by dust »

One of the best days i've had in a very very long time. I can't say enough good things but will try another time because right now i'm hungry.

:D
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

ghetto kitty wrote:
Feigan wrote:^ are you two doing rumpy pumpy.....
:roll: indeed. can a male and female not be friends without everyone thinking they are :3some: ????

Let the record state, that Amick is my friend and if anyone wants to ask me out, they are more than welcome

:smt003
;-)

i retract aforementioned statement
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

;)

you haven't been the only one feigs
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I know - I was just being cheeky.

:teef:
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

Um...

What was ranty/jaded about my post?

First Adelaide BDO was fucking awesome. So was Days Like This.
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Just all the sighing man.

when all i was doing was smiling, even if I didnt like every track every act played.