MCs who just won't frickin shut up

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
bobby bob bob
Location: Bob Fossil's Funpark, near the black & white Chinese people that eat sticks

MCs who just won't frickin shut up

Post by bobby bob bob »

Sorry about the controversial subjsct title.. Just want some opinions or info from melburn beats heads who
1; appreciate music
2; write music
3; dj or mc

I downloaded a dj Hazard live mix that had a really good writeup - "Hazard @ Raveology Return Ov Q" from 2007
http://www.filestube.com/3117bd4b38486dd803e9/go.html

And cranked it up to listen, and the mc (could be GQ, not sure) just wouldn't fucking shut up, to the point of trampling over all the best tags and hooks in the mix, singing songs out of key that had no relation to the song playing, even doing that crap fallback of making up words.. you know, 'bupidee bupidee bupidee'..etc, asking for endless reloads, which you could tell Hazard just got sick of.. it was like listening to a horserace caller after a while..

I had to delete the mix, because listening to it was like sticking pins up my nostrils.

Now call me a snob or sumfink, but shouldn't good MCs worth their salt know when to rev the crowd, when to spit a great piece of flow, when to shut up and let the music breathe and flex? One of the best tags (imo) in a d+b song in the last few years, when the song breaks and the word "MACHETE" spits was just shouted over by these knuckleheads in this mix..

Sorry, rant over, but any heads out there want to put in their 2 cents worth? The mcs who do it really well; Lowqui, SP, Kemo, Dynamite etc, do they have a brief with their dj beforehand?

Do you djs out there have an amount of MCing that is too much etc?

Who does it best in a live set?

Peace out
Amick

Re: MCs who just won't frickin shut up

Post by Amick »

MC's who spoil the drop in a DnB/Dubstep set makes me cry.

+

bobby bob bob
Location: Bob Fossil's Funpark, near the black & white Chinese people that eat sticks

Post by bobby bob bob »

I feel your pain, Amick.

Let it all out..

But you aren't leaving the table until you have finished your out of focus mini roast chicken with its arse in the air face plant that is on your plate.
Amick

Post by Amick »

Nom nom nom!!!

ALL DONE!!!

On a more constructive tip, a good MC knows when to hype and when to let the music do the talking. I also think that unless you have the golden smooth voice of Steve Spacek please don't sing along to lyrics in tunes. I didn't come to hear your version of it...

/rant
bobby bob bob

Post by bobby bob bob »

Agreed about the singing; Dynamite has one of the best flows, particularly when he can do the really rapid flow, machine gun spit, like on "Gold" from his album The World Of Dynamite. (Haven't heard a better rapid rhymer than that.. he even did it perfectly live when he fronted Roni at the HiFi 4 yrs ago)..

BUT...
He fancies himself as a singer and will burst into song. BUT IN THE WRONG KEY!! OW!!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

the #1 neglected skill in mcing is knowing when to shut up; there are only a few who do it and do it well.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Raider

Post by Raider »

Darrison MC knows this skill well. Every set I've heard with him in it has been ace. Especially the DJ Marky movement tour one from like 2001. I saw him in Reading and he was swish :_)
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
LowQui

Post by LowQui »

bobby bob bob wrote: The mcs who do it really well; Lowqui, SP, Kemo, Dynamite etc, do they have a brief with their dj beforehand?
Firstly nice one for the positive mention, I always try to maintain the right balance, hence the name... but if you ever feel I am saying too much, your more than welcome to politely come and tell me to hush up a bit!

Personally I never have a "brief with the DJ" although we might discuss the vibe of the set - if they just want to roll it out or go for a few pleasing rewinds :) but with most of the guys you will see me work with I know what they are into anyway.

On a musical tip its generally as surprising to me what the next tune is as it is for you guys on the dance floor and I prefer it that way, as it means I get excited when I hear a new tune dropping in. This can mean I occasionally go overboard if get over excited though - one of the perils of doing it live and loving it... The singing you mention falls into this category as well most of the time, its normally just the MC having fun, sometimes it works, sometimes its offkey...

I think dnb MC'ing these days falls into two fairly distinct camps, the "hyper" mc's and for want of a better term the "hosts" although I reckon the good hosts can hype a crowd just as well, just with a relaxed breathing technique & powerful minimal lyrics.

The rules mentioned are gospel in mine and many MC's lyrics books, but many ignore them (and profit from doing so) there are also reasons why even people who know them break them sometimes.

The issue with listening to sets from jump up artists is that generally they are recorded in a big rave environment - this has two points of impact - 1) the mc is not really chatting for the tape, they are doing it for the crowd in front of them and 2) in those raves if you don't keep chatting non stop either the other 1/2/3 MC/s will jump in with their flow the minute they take a breath or the shirtless kids in the front row will start abusing them for not saying enough or fast enough (I kid you not)...

so sometimes if your mc'ing in those raves it can seem like its keep talking (and die on tape) or die on stage (and maybe not even be on the tape)

tough crowd as the say in brixton...

and that's not GQ (don't take the masters name in vain, he wrote the rule book of rolling properly :) - sounds like Fatman D & someone else at the start with a bit of trigga later from a very quick listen.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

LowQui wrote:I think dnb MC'ing these days falls into two fairly distinct camps, the "hyper" mc's and for want of a better term the "hosts" although I reckon the good hosts can hype a crowd just as well, just with a relaxed breathing technique & powerful minimal lyrics.
word. on a hosting tip for me it has to be (in no particular order) sgt pokes, toast, sp:mc, lowqui, task, and n-type/skream on radio. fraksha really complemented the music at last too much i thought, was good vibes!

i think jokes on the mic are great -- pokes is one of the funniest guys i've heard, but horses for courses yanno.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

I'm a rare one who prefers dnb with an MC.

It was the way I was introduced to dnb and I often find it quite boring otherwise.

I also think best Australian MCs come from Adelaide. It's not just a hometown pride thing either - Adelaide sucks for a lot of reasons but their MCs actually put a lot of time and effort into it, and it shows. Grif, Pase, Strike and PAB have all held their own against the international MCs who come over.

I'm yet to be blown away by Melbourne MCs, but admittedly I've only seen a few.

I've seen Lowqui twice I think, and you've been really good on one occasion, and terrible on another. Everyone has good and bad nights though so I reserve my judgment until I see more of you :D
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
gnat

Post by gnat »

conrad- never shuts up. drives me mad personally although i know people get up in arms about it when i say this

moose on stanton session- best MC'ing effort ever. hands down
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
aroes

Post by aroes »

age old debate, here we go again

as lowqui touched on, i generally don't expect to hear silky smooth mc'ing on a set recorded in a rave........what works on the dancefloor doesn't necessarily work on tape

still reckon the best display of dnb mc'ing i've witnessed was DRS over calibre's set at miss libs a few years back. captivating stuff. i WAS on a pinga though
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

aroes wrote: i WAS on a pinga though

:smt005
bobby bob bob

Post by bobby bob bob »

LowQui wrote:
bobby bob bob wrote: The mcs who do it really well; Lowqui, SP, Kemo, Dynamite etc, do they have a brief with their dj beforehand?
LowQui wrote:Firstly nice one for the positive mention, I always try to maintain the right balance, hence the name... but if you ever feel I am saying too much, your more than welcome to politely come and tell me to hush up a bit!
Sorright m8. Just blowing some sugar up your arse..

Seen GQ a few times in frunta Andy C live, and after listening to him on mixes I was worrying he was not going to shut up.. I know you say he wrote the book, buuuut, in the mixes he doesn't leave too much room for the music. But he was a lot more circumspect live, which was weird..

The style of D+B I guess does have an impact on how much the MC would flow; really good tekstep like Commix/Spectrasoul/Lynx/Alix Perez etc would be spoilt by non stop chattering... you are right Lowqui; jump up does need a good bit of revving I guess.. (Jakes etc). I think you popped up a cpl of times through Commix's set on Cup Day.

Just enuf. Props.

Bring on Lynx and Kemo!

Haven't even started on MCs actual vocal delivery itself; Kemo's great voice (should do film voiceovers), Flipside's speech impediment ('MC Fwipside'), Big lisping from I think MC Jaysonic (Time Machine).. makes it all interesting..

Oi! Where are all the female MCs?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I want a BBC English Drum and Bass MC.
Don't hate me for house
LowQui

Post by LowQui »

Griff & Pace are two sick MC's from Adelaide indeed, not had the chance to see Strike or Pab unfortunately.
FunkyJ wrote:
I've seen Lowqui twice I think, and you've been really good on one occasion, and terrible on another. Everyone has good and bad nights though so I reserve my judgment until I see more of you :D
Haha thanks - out of interest which was the "terrible" set if you can remember? I'm always keen for feedback.
bobby bob bob wrote: Seen GQ a few times in frunta Andy C live, and after listening to him on mixes I was worrying he was not going to shut up.. I know you say he wrote the book, buuuut, in the mixes he doesn't leave too much room for the music. But he was a lot more circumspect live, which was weird..
I agree with Areos, MC'ing is not just about vocals, its a 50% 50% split between the stage presence & vocals. I don't think it's fair to fully rate MC's unless your there watching the whole thing live.

Female MC's to check are Deeizm and Jenna G (although technically she's more of a singer). Chickaboo can also bust some very funny stuff.

and DRS is next level, pinga's or not!
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

It depends on whether the MC is actually telling a story or just lamely repeating himself.

If I'm listening to Skibba, or Shabba I could listen to them all day and I dont really care whats playing underneath so much.

Depends on the skill of the vocalist everytime.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

Lowqui makes some good points, particularly about not knowing what the next tune coming in is and occasionally going over board…end of the day I’m a fan as well and get hyped on hearing a big tune, just so happens I have a mic in my hand

it’s a bit of a marmite thing, but then some people go mad for it…before I used to do it I’d hate going to raves without mc’s, it would bore me to be honest

I am conscious of some people not being into mc’s, sometimes I get negative comments which I gotta expect, but when I’m actually in a dance its more positive than not

Listening back to live sets can be annoying sometimes cos like Lowqui’s saying you’re not mc’ing for the tape, you’re doing it for the dance and I know for one I’ve listened back to stuff and thought, ‘why the fuck did I say that’ lol, but at the time it makes sense and is all good

Personally I come from the more grime side of things which is more focussed on mc’s and is more about ten man on stage spraying bars constant so I gotta try and come to a middle ground when doing the dubstep thing, which sometimes is hard cos theres no grime scene here so I find myself trying to do that with the dubstep shows I do

Regarding a brief with the dj thing…I don’t generally with locals cos I know most of them I spit with and know what they’re about…with internationals I always ask them if they want an mc or not cos theres nothing worse than just making an assumption and the guy thinking ur a cunt for spraying over his set…case in point cotti and tes la rock last week…Same-o mentioned to me beforehand Tes didn’t want an mc, but wasn’t sure about Cotti, so I asked Cotti if he wanted me to stay off his set and he said nah he wanted me on it…when Tes came on I jumped off, then halfway thru Fooishbar comes over saying Tes wanted me back up…and then throughout the night I’m getting people coming up saying bless etc etc and then one guy comes up and tries to pick a fight with me in the alleyway cos he don’t like mc’s lol…
bobby bob bob

Post by bobby bob bob »

LowQui wrote: Female MC's to check are Deeizm and Jenna G (although technically she's more of a singer). Chickaboo can also bust some very funny stuff.

and DRS is next level, pinga's or not!
Saw Chickaboo up in Sydney at Parklife a few years ago and she was loving the crowd loving her; she couldn't believe it. Good for her!

Now I am a bit torn about NYD because she is out wif Rennie Pilgrem who I really lurve, but then again, Roxanne Parlour calls..

Bahamadia had great silky flow when I saw her at Goodvibes a few yrs back, and Estelle not too bad, but for D+B, they are a little thin on the ground. Dayum!

Gotta talk to Dan and the other BBAs about getting a grassed outdoor area installed at Roxanne for NYD for chilling out, maybe trees and a calming water feature, seeing Birrarung Mar is out of contention.. 15hrs of head smashing D+B needs to be relieved wif sitting out in the sun somewhere.

Hey! I'm a landscaper! I smell a potential job! Rooftop garden anyone?
cammo

Post by cammo »

lee scratch perry said it best "im a toaster, im not a boaster"

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

^^^ werd.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Raider

Post by Raider »

Tali? Epic MC imo and worked for years with my favourite dnb crew so yeah.... Think she's earned a mention here :D
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
Amick

Post by Amick »

lpeake wrote:Tali? Epic MC imo and worked for years with my favourite dnb crew so yeah.... Think she's earned a mention here :D
Preferred when she sang compared to MCing. Not that epic really imo...
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

You d/l a Hazard mix :laughing8:

Get this instead> Maxwell D, Flowdan & DJ Principal live @ Sidewinder 2002 >>http://www.divshare.com/direct/8801612-eb3.zip
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

JAMESSSS wrote:I want a BBC English Drum and Bass MC.
Ha ha ha, yes!
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

No mention of Stamina or Fats.... 2 of my favourite MCs. I think Stamina's input of soul and intelligent lyrics is one of the best. And Fats is just strong, a serious controller.... Definitely not a fan of the super paced MC, especially when i have no idea what they are saying. But time and place for everything i guess. Mention goes to Flux as well, thought he was awesome with Bailey a while back.....
ImageImage
bobby bob bob

Post by bobby bob bob »

enigneyratorelknaw wrote:You d/l a Hazard mix :laughing8:

Get this instead> Maxwell D, Flowdan & DJ Principal live @ Sidewinder 2002 >>http://www.divshare.com/direct/8801612-eb3.zip
"I'm a killer that's why!!"

on the D/L now
bobby bob bob

Post by bobby bob bob »

TheOperatives wrote:No mention of Stamina or Fats.... 2 of my favourite MCs. I think Stamina's input of soul and intelligent lyrics is one of the best. And Fats is just strong, a serious controller.... Definitely not a fan of the super paced MC, especially when i have no idea what they are saying. But time and place for everything i guess. Mention goes to Flux as well, thought he was awesome with Bailey a while back.....

Stamina = tick! Good flow.
FunkyJ

Post by FunkyJ »

LowQui wrote:Griff & Pace are two sick MC's from Adelaide indeed, not had the chance to see Strike or Pab unfortunately.
Yeah, unfortunately you probably won't, either. Last I heard Strike has hung up his mic, and Pab fled to Cuba a few years ago :lol:
FunkyJ wrote:
LowQui wrote:Haha thanks - out of interest which was the "terrible" set if you can remember? I'm always keen for feedback.
I can't remember to tell you the truth. It was a while ago - at least a year ago, if not more. I remember you did appear to be very drunk though.
Ready to drop, Audio rock, here comes the boy from the South!
-= www.funkyj.com =-
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

MC Bear in Perth too. Dope MC.
patch

Post by patch »

the mic volume control right in front of me has worked well many times hahahahahaha

gq rattles on too much now days, but back pre 2002ish he was the fukn juice.. one of the reasons i ever listened to dnb. thanks g
http://www.facebook.com/patchsauce
BBA PODCAST 008 - THE OUTLOOK PROMO MIX

View this on Soundcloud

SONUS

Post by SONUS »

bobby bob bob wrote: I think Stamina's input of soul and intelligent lyrics is one of the best. And ...

Stamina = tick! Good flow.[/quote]

fuk yeah , anyone remember his bday sesh at the espy nyd a few year back, pure skill......
Baxter_Boulevard

Post by Baxter_Boulevard »

Hate yammering over the tunes..

Stevie Hypa D was the only mc I could get into of that style.

Toasting is where it's at..bit of creativity thrown in but not over the top.

Was well into my first Void night in Sydney last new years...heart. Sunk when I saw someone on the mic but Steve is fucking good at what he does.

When was in Mercat this yr on a visit some clown was spitting semi political Aussie hip hop lyrics over dubstep it sucked...hope it isn't a common thing over there...
cheftony

Post by cheftony »

All about fraksha and scotty hinds. Proper grimey goodness.

I dont mind mc's over some jump up-esque dnb, but prefer it without. I really dig dark/hard dnb and can't stand mc's over that. Doesn't fit at all. :(
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

lowqui is the only mc i've seen who has had any form of restraint with the mic
bobby bob bob

Post by bobby bob bob »

kiss & tell wrote:lowqui is the only mc i've seen who has had any form of restraint with the mic
There are quite a few. Do you mean of the locally based MCs?
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

Ur all trippers. Bring the hype and bring the vibes... :wink:
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

I like an MC to be able to rhyme with decent tone.. none of this shouting hype bullshit, over and over and over and over.

Perfect international examples are 2Shy, Lowqui & Fats.

They can rhyme, double time, they know flow, and they dont need to consistantly ask the crowd to make some noooooooooooooooooooooise for tha fuckin DJ, and best of all they have a friendly, yet hyping stage presence without 'GQ-style' EXCESSIVE CRAP. I understand he is seen as the Don when it comes to MCing, but I aint seen anything to prove that in the 5 or 6 times I've seen him in melbourne. In my opinion, GQ is the most annoying and over-rated MC on earth.

MC Cubist is probably the most under-rated.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

bonsai wrote:MC Cubist is probably the most under-rated.
This
bobby bob bob

Post by bobby bob bob »

bonsai wrote:"...yet hyping stage presence without 'GQ-style' EXCESSIVE CRAP. I understand he is seen as the Don when it comes to MCing, but I aint seen anything to prove that in the 5 or 6 times I've seen him in melbourne. In my opinion, GQ is the most annoying and over-rated MC on earth..."
WORD!
THANK YOU!

I was trying to be respectful to Lowqui's comments about GQ being the master, but that motherfucking horseracing commentary type flow just so detracts from the music. Last few times I have seen him I actually wondered if his mic had been turned down by the mixing boys for that reason... kekeke..
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

A whole thread like this with no shouts to Wasp and DB? Great flow with the tunes and also the ability to hype well depending on the party. Love having a bit of a listen sometimes when he gets his commentary going on, tells it like it is. One of melbourne's kings in the mic imo.

Always prefer a flow MC to a hype MC personnally, but there are times and places for all. But i think most will agree an MC who has no idea when to shut up is always going to damage a good set.