Lounge celebrates 20 years of Music - Jan 16th 'n' 17th

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Extortion

Re: Lounge celebrates 20 years of Music - Jan 16th 'n' 17th

Post by Extortion »

is that breakage from the UK that's playing?
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Surely I'm not the only one here who remembers going to see rock gigs at Lounge, in the early 90s.

I can't think of another similar venue still going strong after so many years: Congrats Lounge people!
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

quiet roar wrote:Surely I'm not the only one here who remembers going to see rock gigs at Lounge, in the early 90s.
I saw Snog there round 1993. Does that count as "rock"? ;)
aroes

Post by aroes »

Extortion wrote:is that breakage from the UK that's playing?

pretty sure that's a list of names that have played lounge over the years mate

god if all those were on one bill i think most people on here's brains would explode
8)
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Andrez wrote:
quiet roar wrote:Surely I'm not the only one here who remembers going to see rock gigs at Lounge, in the early 90s.
I saw Snog there round 1993. Does that count as "rock"? ;)
Close enough to rock, and early enough to make me feel not so old. Thanks!
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

aroes wrote:

god if all those were on one bill i think most people on here's brains would explode
8)
Yes thats right.. That is only a list of the previous gigs we have had here at Lounge..
I would have to be the biggest festival in Aust if we had them all back again at once!! We would need the MCG for that!

the line up is coming soon.. Mainly Locals will be representing the past 20 odd years musically here t Lounge.. (with the exception of rock).
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Sat 8 - Lounge Boat Party
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

+ Rock Like This BOAT PARTY/ Strawberry fields / TRIBE NYD

CITIZEN.COM FREE music:-
http://soundcloud.com/citizen-com/
Fents

Post by Fents »

Ah The Lounge. bloody love it. So many stories those wall's and DJ booth could tell.

It all began for me when Soulaar started. Had just found me DnB groove and like so many others spent each and nearly ever Thursday night there. 1LC would start the night off mixing my fav bukem tunes then motive would step it up a bit and trooper would just rinse it out.

The the 40HZ boys took over and it was on for young and old. I've still got the promo CD that Rux mixed for their night there, started off with Twisted anger! plus he used to mix that Walk wid ya Friends tune every week cause i'd hassle him so much to play it.

Then fred mcfly ran a night there for a bit after that and it was great casue Fikuss and I had just became good mates and were now mixing together so Fred would put us on the bill. I have been to more DnB nights at Lounge with Fred and Tim than i think ive been out too all DnB nights period. They loved Fred so much at Lounge they gave him a Job behind the bar! prob not the best move for them as it meant more fre drinks for us hahahahah!~

At this stage Tim had been promoting at Lounge for a while and im pretty sure it was Ben who asked if he wanted to do the whole Thurs night thing upstairs. Kombat Bass had just started and we had absolutley jumped at the chance. We worked our ass's off to promote those nights, flyering, postering, radio showing and making it mostly all about the Local DnB DJ's. The weekly Thursday thing was grouse but when it all came down to it, it was the Public Holiday bash's that really went off. Friction, Breakage, Yui and Cardz and of course the Blazin sessions with nearly every local DnB DJ B2B the whole night.

Things died off upstairs for us and we got moved downstairs. not all bad got to play those tunes you would never play out, hip hop, house etc etc. We meet the lovley Coby and she instantly became our best mates. Look after us every thursday for years.

Shouts to Michael for having us, Ben, Luke and Bo for being great people and great to work with, Dan Motive for all the flyer he did for us week in and week out, Fred for being a legend, Cobey <3, abd all the other bar guys and girls.

Memories include Bailey, Marky scrathing the deck and pouring water all over it, Friction, rinsing people at pool, the balcony spliffs, cheeky racks in the booth, shots shots and more shots, the fights we saw (far and few between), the dat recorder upstairs and so many more that just cannot be told!

The best bit is they still support me even though i havnt played there in years! They stock our beer Kooinda!!!!!!! Thanks Michael!

Biggups Lounge, Conrgats and Happy Birthday!
Fents

Post by Fents »

oh and yea trust me to forget the best memory ever, i got introduced to my wife on that balcony too!
deviant

Post by deviant »

.................snowie.......

*slot... *irl ??????

story?

lol
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ what does that post mean Dan?

Big Ups to Lounge - it's been been great reading this thread.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

SLOT GIRL!!!! :smt005 :smt005

And as Dan said... story Snowie??? Oh do share......:lol:
Hey Dan, you got $2?? :lol:
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

Any story with the title 'slot girl' has go to be awesome.

I'm putting a $2.00 coin and a used tissue on it involving the Shaft facilities across the road.

Would also make a good pr0n series. Slot Girl 26: Slot Girl Strikes Back

No reminiscing for me, I was too busy living stupid large in Radelaide. Top that. I dare you.
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
Extortion

Post by Extortion »

gaffa101 wrote:
aroes wrote:

8)
Yes thats right.. That is only a list of the previous gigs we have had here at Lounge..
I would have to be the biggest festival in Aust if we had them all back again at once!! We would need the MCG for that!

the line up is coming soon.. Mainly Locals will be representing the past 20 odd years musically here t Lounge.. (with the exception of rock).
reading comprehension fail :lol:
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:SLOT GIRL!!!! :smt005 :smt005

Snowie.

YOU MUST tell this story.. think it maes part of Lounges history books for sure!!!!!
:3some:
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

deviant

Post by deviant »

Extortion wrote:
gaffa101 wrote:
aroes wrote:

8)

reading comprehension fail :lol:
It's alright, Gaffa has been known for this before...

lighting/camera what were we talking about again?
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

everyone is a comedian..

your a FAIL...
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

gaffa101 wrote:
Lil MiSbreaks wrote:SLOT GIRL!!!! :smt005 :smt005

Snowie.

YOU MUST tell this story.. think it maes part of Lounges history books for sure!!!!!
:3some:
It's a legendary story.
So where is Snowie?
Ducking behind the decks?
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

I know, seriously, wtf is he doing. :shock: :roll:

Its the BEST Lounge story ive ever heard, by far, so COME ON GUY! (said in scratchy throated voice) :stop:

:clock: :booty:
C.I.A.

Post by C.I.A. »

:scr1pt:
I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, "Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede."
FullGain

Post by FullGain »

Feigan wrote: Big Ups to Lounge - it's been been great reading this thread.

heartily agree with ya.
I'll be back.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

SLOT girl is only a story snowie can tell.. And i cant believe he has not jumped on the opportunity!!!

I agree Lilmiss - WTF!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

This thread has been a great read (though parts of it have me completely confused!)... Happy birthday Lounge!!!

I first went to Lounge for occasional booty shakin' on the weekends when I moved to Melbs in '99 but I really wasn't all that into dance music back then... It wasn't until the early naughties that I became a bit more musically open-minded and Out Of Order introduced me to breaks (thanks Ben & Nick!! ps. how many people have said that now!?) and I really started to become part of the furniture around there. Some weeks I was there for Filter on Wednesdays, d'n'b on Thursdays (Soulaar and was it 40hz too?), Out Of Order and then the hip-hop on Saturdays. Fuck me they were some crazy blurry times! My bedroom at the time was plastered with all the Out Of Order posters that I collected each week. It was totally like a 2nd home to me!

Met some friggin awesome people (most of whom I've lost touch with now unfortunately) and used to almost live for the dancefloor antics, tequila shots and balcony spliffs and shit-talking till the ugly lights came on. So many of those spliffs were shared with the awesome bouncers and bussies too - not to mention the bar-staff who always seemed to know what I wanted before I ordered it! The only time I ever thought I was in trouble was when a dude who I think was one of the managers came up and grabbed the spliff out of my hand, threw it on the floor and stomped on it but then he came back about 5 minutes later and told me he'd only stomped on the end to put it out and I should pick it up and light it up again somewhere more discreet.

ghetto kitty wrote:also - bigups to the fact that i know more than a few couples who met at Lounge and are now happily married - proof that you can meet 'the one' in a nightclub!
Happy to say I was one of those people too! Everyone I knew said that would never happen (ie. meeting 'the one' in a club) but been married for just over 2 years now and together for 7 or so!

shepherd wrote:Soul of Man - Dirty Waltzer
Plump DJs - The Fever
Timo Maas - Shifter
Zinc - 138 Trek
Groove Armada - Superstylin (Skool of Thought bootleg)
Azzido Da Bass - Dooms Night (Stanton Warriors)
Bassbin Twins - ESW
Steve Bug - Monsterbaze (original only)
Drumattic Twins - Feelin Kinda Strange (Nick and Klephage remix)
Fuck yes!!! Especially Dooms Night - You couldn't keep me off the dancefloor when that track dropped back in the day!

Also needs:
Stanton Warriors - Da Virus & Da Antidote
Plump DJ's - Electric Disco
any track off Freestylers - We Rock Hard
and that remix of Prince - Kiss (for some 80's breaks remix goodness - we've all had enough of a break from that now haven't we!?)

There's probably 100 more tracks that remind me of the OoO days whenever I hear them!

Might have to come down for this at some stage over the weekend if I can...

Ides @ Out Of Order - 20/12/02

Nick Thayer @ Out Of Order - 8/03/02

Pretty funny looking through the ITM photo galleries from OoO - I wish I could delete every photo of me gurning in clubs from the internet!
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

ah memories... first time I went to lounge I was 16 n got in with one of my friends older brothers who was standing in a cue out the front. Went to Filter religiously 1998-2000, played lots of pool, pinnies and totally owned the dance floor... california grass. LOL. Lots of naughties that shouldn't be mentioned. Only been thrown down the stairs once when I convinced the cleaner to let me in after hours. Ah good times.

Home away from home. :smt006 yay
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

heh that pic of nick - shit damn that's 8 years ago. we're old.

awesome tunes too

Stanton Warriors - Da Virus & Da Antidote
Plump DJ's - Electric Disco
any track off Freestylers - We Rock Hard
and that remix of Prince - Kiss (for some 80's breaks remix goodness - we've all had enough of a break from that now haven't we!?)

yes yes and yes and yes again. The prince remix was awesome ... especially the 1 second silence ... nick please if you play that you have to hold the slience bit for like 5 seconds for drama's sake.

on the topic of married loungeians ... about 3 years ago (2006 I believe it was) I was asked to play at a wedding. It was the wedding of this couple who had met at Lounge ... really awesome pair and they loved their music. It was actually quite flattering really ... so me and the now fiancee drove up to Albury to play their wedding ... which was on the lake on a 42 degree day in the middle of a heatwave and fires etc. Played for about 8 hours!!! The married couple entered the reception to a krafty and a-skillz song!

anyway - old man reminiscing. carry on.
Last edited by shepherd on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

manofunreal wrote:Image
Nick Thayer @ Out Of Order - 8/03/02
wow, march 2002 I wouldn't have even conceived of becoming a DJ back then... I was just starting year 3 of my music degree.

I did go to Fliter a few times during the uni hols.. didn't really meet crew or know anyone there.. I used to go with my mate from uni and just get fucked up and dance around like idiots 'til 6am
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

some pics i found on the internets

ashli and i think alicia! 2002

youthful thayer 2002

dude with wanky hat 2002

fkn hell - that hat again! 2002

party party 2002

Hyper 2002

some dude with liverpool fc loser shirt on 2002

party floor 2002

nubreed 20002

regulars who i never met nor know the names of (worlds worst people promoter = me)

Ides warming up for Kenobi 2002 (edit: CHECK THE CD Player - DENON push button BABY woo!)

thin dude and jesse

other thin dude aka boogs
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Cool pics!! (was slilghtly concerned id spot a gurning lmb, but pffeww, not such nightmare)
gnat

Post by gnat »

hahaha me too LMB. phew :-/

goog times at lounge indeed. many a friday early morning in hungry jacks for recovery post mixes looking at our watches going 'umm have to be at work in 4 hours'

yui and cardz was a biggg night. i think dboy's form that night would have had to go down in history too lollllllllllz

those pics shep- haha. I remember the decks being set up there

have so many lounge stories but i'm sure i'd regret putting em out there so i'll just smile and say happy birthday guys- nice one!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
gnat

Post by gnat »

remember this being a very large night also

called in sick from the cab on the way home lol
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Found this Breaksworld link last year. Some ol skool Out of Order pics and review I concocted from 2002:

http://www.breaksworld.co.uk/scene/Aust ... forder.asp

:)
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

some extreme gurn in this pic heh

nice work eric!

if anyone else has any pics would love to see them - the above are the ones i stole from inthemix
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

for the soulaar memories

interview with dan the man motivo feary - http://www.inthemix.com.au/features/480 ... _Motivated

extract from article: "Motive is ... tight, almost anally retentive" whoa really? (ok i edited it)

a soulaar thing i helped with - http://www.inthemix.com.au/features/283 ... aar_Voyage

the last soulaar - http://www.inthemix.com.au/photos2/020718-soulaar (pics)

j, dan and boemo

dude convention!

intense gurn!

finger dance

phul ruxspin probably dropping some mega chilled out stuff ;)

pre-emo emo??
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

^^^ LOL @ Rux. Despite the fact he threatened to kick the shit out of me @ Rainbow Serpent once, I always dug his sets. Lex was my fav though...fricken gun DJ who always knew what to play and when.

Ben, remember this?

http://www.inthemix.com.au/features/910 ... t_of_Order

It'll make you feel aged, trust me.

:lol:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

love this thread.

:lol: at old photos...

I also had my first naked person on dancefloor experience at Filter.
Chick checks to see if anyone's watching, and disrobes down to nothing in front of me.

:lol: i was watching.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

HEADS up everyone...

Unfortunatly N'Fa (1200 Techniques) cannot make it on on Sunday for his show with Nick Thayer.. However in an attempt to make up for it we have them both playng at BASS CAMP tonight frm 10pm.

Only $5 entry for a night filled of Booty madness.

ALSO...Set times for 20th B'day coming very soon.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

No more waiting FINALLY its here:-

Special guests:- Christian Burkhardt (Germany) and Anthony Pappa (UK/aus) - playing an exclusive old skool breaks style set, along with the return of BOOGS (Where Is Boogs?), Smash Bang Live, and Nick Thayer.

Specials for you:- $5 stubbies, Drink specials, drink card giveaways, CD giveaways, and body painting.

SET TIMES:-

Saturday 16th

8.00pm - 10.30pm Agent 86 Vs Kiti
10.30pm - 12.00am Pixelton
12.00am- 2.00am Moose Vs Coburn

2.00am - 4.00am *****BOOGS
4.00am - 5.30am ******SMASH BANG (LIVE)
5.30am - 7.00am Nic Coleman
7.00am - 9.00am Dave Pham Vs Nadine

9.00am - 10.00am - *****CHRISTIAN BURKHARDT (GERMANY)

Sunday 17th

10.00am - 12.00pm T-Rek
12.00pm - 2.00pm Popeye Vs Jez Sing
2.00pm - 3.30pm PCP Vs Mark Anthoney
3.30pm - 5.00pm Snowie Vs Ides

5.00pm - 6.00pm *****ANTHONY PAPPA - playng Old skool
Breaks flavors(UK/AUST)

6.00pm - 8.00pm JD Vs Shifty Sly Vs Barron Von Rotton.

8.00pm - 10.00pm ******NICK THAYER

10pm beyond Citizen Vs Flip

So along with a huge local line up we now have the additional pleasure of 2 huge internationals. So spread the word, and lets rock the foundations at Lounge!!!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

shepherd wrote:heh that pic of nick - shit damn that's 8 years ago. we're old.
Yeah check the baby face! I'm quietly hoping nobody posts any photos of me here... I might have looked younger but I didn't look very healthy (I guess Lounge probably had a very big part to play in that)!

I might have to promise to at least come for Nick's set if he promises to play that track!

Sounds like a cool wedding! Do you remember which song? We entered our wedding to Lamb - Heaven which I thought was pretty different (obviously not breaks though)

I can't think of any stories that I'd admit to here either... I'm interested to know about the ones that have been alluded to above though!?!?

obliveus wrote:^^^ LOL @ Rux. Despite the fact he threatened to kick the shit out of me @ Rainbow Serpent once, I always dug his sets.
What the hell? I can't imagine why anyone would want to beat you up dude... What was his caper?

ghetto kitty wrote:I also had my first naked person on dancefloor experience at Filter.
Chick checks to see if anyone's watching, and disrobes down to nothing in front of me.
Two things... 1) There's been more than one naked person on dancefloor experience!? and 2) Did she think nobody would notice she was naked as long as they didn't see her undress!? :lol:

Lineup = pretty WOW! Body painting = I can feel some big-time messyness coming on!! Hope I can make it down...
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

manofunreal wrote:[
obliveus wrote:^^^ LOL @ Rux. Despite the fact he threatened to kick the shit out of me @ Rainbow Serpent once, I always dug his sets.
What the hell? I can't imagine why anyone would want to beat you up dude... What was his caper?
:lol:

That was his way. Long story...funny story.

Direktor knows the details.

:)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

manofunreal wrote:
ghetto kitty wrote:I also had my first naked person on dancefloor experience at Filter.
Two things... 1) There's been more than one naked person on dancefloor experience!? and 2) Did she think nobody would notice she was naked as long as they didn't see her undress!? :lol:
1) I have been to a lot of outdoor parties in the last ten years. And something about being out in nature, and being on rugs, makes people feel just so FREEEEE that there has been quite a few naked dancefloor experiences. working ravesafe was tricky though, explaining to the japanese tourist that it was less than 5 degrees and he WAS going to freeze his goolies off if he didnt let me put something on him. tripping in australia, YEAH!

2) I think that was the logic yes. And you know, nobody but me did....and a minute later.....the bouncer....heheh
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Heres a few links for the suprise guests we got for the weekend:-

Chistian Burkhardt:-
A link to his releases.
http://www.junodownload.com/artists/Chr ... releases/

Anthony Pappa:-
a link to the BALANCD CD he did.. Disc one is a breaks CD..

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... ce+006.htm

And i cant believe we have Pappa doing an exclusive old skool Breaks set for te B'day too!!

Cant wait to check that out.
:clock:
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Have had the Pappa Balance CD on rotation of late.

good music.

Have a wicked night guys - sure to be lots of fun.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Feigan, You not coming down? Ganna be huge!!

Also I TOTALY forgot to mention in the set times above that on Saturday night Downstairs will also be open with two residents that have ROCKED the foundations at Lounge Down stairs for years and years,playing the best in...well EVERYTHING!!! from funk to soul, to hip-hop and disco, to rock, and house.. If it was big it will get played!!

10.00 pm - 1.30am - Brainstorm (Lil Stormer + Brain)

1.30am - close - Obliveus

And here is a link to some OBs mixes to get you in the mood.
http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... =6&t=19217
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

Feigan

Post by Feigan »

If I had a teleporter...

I would beam myself down.

alas - No.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

pappa at lounge - might be the first time anyone has dared play prog in the place heh
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

seems like a massive shame no DnB Dj's have been booked for this one...
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Pappa is playing a BREAKS set.. Not a Prog set!!!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i know mate ... just a weird choice seeing the guy has never played the venue before. pappa does play a different style of breaks to what lounge has done in the past.

see you tomorrow anyway!!
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

gaffa101 wrote:Pappa is playing a BREAKS set.. Not a Prog set!!!!
I imagine they will be proggy breaks, though. Either way, you must admit it is more than a bit weird that Pappa is playing seeing he's never played at lounge.
Fents

Post by Fents »

Oh yea the easter bunny getup. forgot about that one.