Dead Famous needs YOUR help!!!!

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
daniella downs

Dead Famous needs YOUR help!!!!

Post by daniella downs »

ez all,

it's the time of year again for BREAKSPOLL. We @ Dead Famous have hit the ground hard this year, and definitely trying to win best label at the very least. That's where you fine people come in. We need YOUR help!

This year, Dead Famous has strived to not only put out quality breaks tunes, but we've done techy house, driving techno, mental dnb, and tripped out dubstep as well. That said, we’ve focused the majority of our efforts on the breaks that we love. Techy, driving, acid breaks at that.

Have a peep at our new website for a refresher course on what we've been up to this year - http://www.deadfamous.org/

We're asking for your help in these categories –

Most Importantly - Best Label - Dead Famous

If you feel so inclined to help us out in these other categories as well, we’d be ever so grateful.

Breakthrough Producer – LuQas
Best Small Club / Event - Slackers Convention

Once you vote, an email will be sent to the address that you entered on the Breakspoll site asking you to click a link to validate your votes.

A big thank you to everyone that votes for us. We couldn’t’ve had the year we’ve had without you all.
ian aka dj daniella downs
Label Manager for Dead Famous Recordings l Dead Famous Myspace l My Facebook
nic

Re: Dead Famous needs YOUR help!!!!

Post by nic »

:donk:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

You released a track called The Nine?
Don't hate me for house
DeadFamousGirl

Post by DeadFamousGirl »

youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

yes yes! biggle!
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Why spruik for votes you wouldnt get otherwise? If you have hit the ground hard, enough people should recognise.

DJ/Producer Awards = Ego Stroke.

its not like you dont have enough bug-eyed groupies patting you on the back after a 'mad set'.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
youthful_implants

bonsai wrote:Why spruik for votes you wouldnt get otherwise? If you have hit the ground hard, enough people should recognise.

its not like you dont have enough bug-eyed groupies patting you on the back after a 'mad set'.
winning these things takes more than a few fancy tunes, and can make a lot of difference to the artists or labels that win them.

a lot of people just vote for the same old shite like Plump DJ's or Krafty Kuts who've won it a bazillion times.

a bit of online direct marketing can make people aware when they weren't previously etc etc.

out with the old in with the new. :)
Strontium Music

Amick

Post by Amick »

bonsai wrote:Why spruik for votes you wouldnt get otherwise? If you have hit the ground hard, enough people should recognise.

If you've been nominated for something you don't hide in the bushes, you let people know they can vote for you, your track, label whatever

What's so wrong with that? Ego stroke or not its recognition from fans/peers. Ego depends on the individual.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Amick wrote:

If you've been nominated for something you don't hide in the bushes, you let people know they can vote for you, your track, label whatever

What's so wrong with that? Ego stroke or not its recognition from fans/peers. Ego depends on the individual.
I guess thats the difference between 'underground' and 'commercial' in my eyes.

Underground artists continue on their way without seeking outside or fabricated recognition...
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
Amick

Post by Amick »

bonsai wrote:
Amick wrote:

Underground artists continue on their way without seeking outside or fabricated recognition...
You better not win any awards any time soon...hehehe.
youthful_implants

bonsai wrote:
Amick wrote:

I dont think its got anything to do with being commercial or underground. Both concepts are highly pejorative and flawed logically in a realm that amounts to a free market.

If you enter yourself into a race, you dont wait for the others to finish before losing and telling everyone you didn't want to race anyway, that would be pointless.

Some labels are clear that they dont care about Breakspoll and some are clear that they do, its their prerogative and I cant fault them for wanting to win. Especially a label I am personally involved with I see putting a lot of effort into making themselves better known. I take pride in knowing they are striving to achieve recognition above and beyond what the music can do, thats just fundamentally good PR.
Last edited by youthful_implants on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

Daniella Downs is doing her job as label manager pretty well, if she's posting on a nerdy music forum like this and lives in DC.
Melbourne would have to be one of their biggest markets this side of the equator and ya don't sleep on that shit.
deviant

Post by deviant »

yeah, Look at Matt Dopamine... His career absolutely skyrocketed after he won best tune at breakspoll...

Of course there is much too it than that... (firstly, writing such a banging tune. Secondly, being recognised by TCR label boss Rennie Pilgrem who released the tune), but it was certainly a big milestone and huge career-making point for him.
daniella downs

Post by daniella downs »

youthful_implants wrote:I dont think its got anything to do with being commercial or underground. Both concepts are highly pejorative and flawed logically in a realm that amounts to a free market.

If you enter yourself into a race, you dont wait for the others to finish before losing and telling everyone you didn't want to race anyway, that would be pointless.

Some labels are clear that they dont care about Breakspoll and some are clear that they do, its their prerogative and I cant fault them for wanting to win. Especially a label I am personally involved with I see putting a lot of effort into making themselves better known. I take pride in knowing they are striving to achieve recognition above and beyond what the music can do, thats just fundamentally good PR.
i know this is old now, but thanks alex =)

the fact of the matter is this -

dead famous came back in 2009 after about a year or so off. every other label up for nomination has been going strong. look at funkatech - they won.

they have:

napt
far too loud
pyramid
specimen a

(and probably others that im forgetting right now)

and a big mailing list.

we do not have:

napt
far too loud
pyramid
specimen a

or a big mailing list. one at all, actually.

so i do what i have to do. we didnt win, but i'm happy we finished in the top 5.
nic

Post by nic »

dopamine hates breaks and makes tech house afaik
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

bonsai wrote:

why does somthing need to be 'underground' to be good ?
nic

Post by nic »

yes what about rhianna?

?

?

ciara???

ace of bass?

bently ryhtjm ace

edif ipiaf

uurrghhh gone of gurleeelggglee topic

sorry wrong thread

daniella downs

Post by daniella downs »

WHAT ABOUT BEYONCE NIC?

WHAT ABOUT HER?

GODDESS.

lol.
youthful_implants

done good Ian! :D
Strontium Music

Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

same o wrote: why does somthing need to be underground to be good ?
Because earthworms do it better, same with badgers and wombats and they're all underground. :smt005

Seriously though, gold comes from underground gold is very good :D diamonds are another one that come from underground and I definately like diamonds especially when accompanied by some gold.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming