MELBOURNE ON FIRE - EVENT TIMETABLE *see first post*

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
TheOperatives

Re: MELBOURNE ON FIRE - EVENT TIMETABLE

Post by TheOperatives »

Thanks bro.... indeed, indeed.....
ImageImage
nic

Post by nic »

where did my dis of 'evil snakehole woman' go?
sounds like a tranny stage name tbh
:lol:
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

oh nic, you have totally proved my point :lol:

your last post was better than the tranny crack btw

u don't pick names, names pick u. just unlucky i guess (ahem, thanks Nico)
eN

Post by eN »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:and another question... does anyone know what was happening in 2007 when there were over 100 users logged on at once?
I think that was around a Pendulum gig
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

sweet as, thanks en. bin wonderin that one for a while, cheers :)
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Wow, angry people.
People here get angry alot.

En posted something awhile back it's only really used for DnB and Dubstep and dub and reggae really but yeah
http://www.melbournednb.com/calendar.php and http://eventerator.com/
Easy to read easy to use but yeah.

As someone who has NEVER had anything to do with running gigs and just enjoys the music I find it a bit harsh to lable me a sheep who just goes out to get drunk with friends.
I enjoy the music I go to listen to. BIG international names aren't always going to garunteed draw the crowds either. Mampi swift, John B, neither of which had HUGE massive fuck off crowds!

As for weekly events I honestly don't think there is enough people who are willing to go out every single weekend to make it viable. Not so much for the promoters but for the venues. Yes promoters have to make money to survive but so do venues, staff, product etc etc. Hell I remember back when Neo/Sloth was running weekly friday nights at night owl and then DE took it over, it used to actually get quite busy, then it started to slow. then the staff there started shutting it down early cause it wasn't financially viable for them to stay open then it all stopped completely.

Personally I think it's great theres so much diversity to choose from here.

Calander of events is a great idea, but JUST THAT a calander, seriously have a look at the DNB one, it's simple easy to use click on the thingy tells you where, what, how much, when etc etc.

Of just have a thread that someone updates the first page of at the begining of each month like THIS THREAD Update the first page.

Actually I think uly started something like that here that she had done on mdnb.com but it's probably pages back now any way.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

A
Last edited by meltdown on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

OperativeNam wrote:Great to see so many awesome gigs coming up and yes we are spoiled this year. For those of you who have ideas, put your money where your mouth is and do it yourself like the guys who are putting on the gigs mentioned in the list above rather than tell everyone else what to do and how it can or can't work.Simple.

Big ups Operatives, Too Much, Heavy Innit & BBA for putting on quality gigs over the last few years!
hope that wasn't directed at me at all, just put $30000 into an event
OperativeNam

Post by OperativeNam »

Not directed at you at all Rainer. I think you had a valid question and it was answered thoroughly by Kitty and a few others.

My point is, if anyone else has ideas, give it a go. Less talk, more action. Not many people have the cash to do it and not many are willing to risk their own money to put on parties. Ideas and feedback are great, if done constructively and positively.

I very rarely post on this forum because i think there is so much room for misinterpretation and misunderstandings from different people with different opinions and i don't have the energy or patience to get involved.

Again I think Melbourne has some fantastic gigs lined up in the coming months & I am going to enjoy going to many of these gigs.

P.S. Klute Encore Show Thursday at Roxannes starts at 10PM, goes till 3AM ;)
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

A
Last edited by meltdown on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Wicked, I can definitly see what you mean about things can be read different ways and misunderstood. I just about made that mistake. Cheers for putting my mind at ease champ.

I'd definitely interested in putting something on later this year to get an understanding of how it all works. Right now I know nothing about it & would be keen to learn. I'm sure it's not going to be easy, I've seen dan in some stressed out states.
Until then I'll keep pushing the sound thru the radio in my own way And hope people are liking It.
Haven't had any feedback from mixes posted or anything yet.....

Bigups to everyone involved in the many exellent gigs I've been to over the past 7 years in melbs
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

hey sociopath, i was thinking more along the lines of flock of gallimimus :P
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:hey sociopath, i was thinking more along the lines of flock of gallimimus :P
Ah see that I'm ok with, Dinosaur's are cool. actually the best if you ask my nephew
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

um, yeah, hi..
gee.. seasonal affective disorder kicked in nicely huhuh...
yeah, i tried the listings but it gives me the shits.

eventerator is a nice place to load your calender and then it can be incorporated as part of the site.. system and the guys running this place.. have a look/think whatever.

i have nothing to do with it's inception...

a superclub would have been fantastic with the ability to change the venue set up for each occasion to ensure it never got old / boring etc... but a wish is a wish and just that.
there is sadly no place that you know you can go have a dance week in week out if you just feel like doing that, without going to a highlight event... which now that we are spoilt for choice.. i think we a re a bit overwhelmed.
There were a few friday night staples that ppl knew they could go to - fractured, night owl, croft, laundry and thursday nights at lounge (RIP)... sadly lack of support is what kills it... and the same mates can't keep something alive forever. (oh and the selling off of laundry fckgddamnfkit - Revs just does not cut it!!!)
Every club loses it's edge once saturated, issues with bar, security, venue, punters etc.... years ago no one would have stepped foot inside BA and now.. well, it is a venue of choice for a fair few gigs. Miss Libs.. (OMG lost in interweb translation... ) Miss Libs is good.. no boycott required.. LOL
Pack mentality does exist... as well as a lone soldiers.........
The internets isn't boxing ring though... it's a place to thrash out some ideas in hope that someone picks up on something. Actually.. the internets killed the scene!!!! :dancing: :pain10: :smt067 :smt072 :smt019 :smt022 :smt018 :smt017 :banghead: :smt015
Gigs are put on for all different reasons and punters are extremely grateful for the acts that are bought out... even as much as we may bitch, gripe, whinge, bait, flame.

I guess we could be ADL right now !!!! where they are possibly a bit more jealous of us than us them!!!

Keep the gigs rolling.. I will be too povo to attend any of them anyways :nahnah:

i haven't been here for ages.. what did i just reply to???
Last edited by ulyssian on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Did you originally mean superclub or Supperclub ESW?
Don't hate me for house
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

ulyssian wrote:Actually.. the internets killed the scene!!!! :dancing: :pain10: :smt067 :smt072 :smt019 :smt022 :smt018 :smt017 :banghead: :smt015:
Sorry Uly I disagree with ya there.
If anything the internetty has opened up the underground scene to so many more people and made it alot easier for promoters and artists to get the word out there.
The scene is struggling to survive due mostly to the medias scare tactics, governments shitty mentality and legislation and the big m word, MONEY! money people.
The passion for and in the music and the creativity on a independent artist(underground) level has not changed. Its actually more vibrant than its ever been since probably the explosion of jungle with more artists getting active and exchanging ideas than ever before.
Its just the authorities and some people runnin ting's that are lettin the scene down.
:offtheair:
Raider

Post by Raider »

let's start our own country on an island somewhere? Breakbeat Island?
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

ooooh jamessss a supper club to go for a nice muscat on a wintery nite, after having a sway in the superclub... hehehe. mite be a good place for these types of convos rather than online?

nah but, tell him he's dreamin' ;)
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

Fabric Melb subbranch?
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

with melbourne style?
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

People on Facebook are campaigning to buy Fabric.

If you got in now you could move it brick by brick to Melbs. (chavs not included)

check it.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 860&ref=ts
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

geepers, we'll have to talk to the immigration minister to get that "no chavs allowed" policy thru b4 the boatload of pommy dnb heads roll up ;) lol.

b good for the building industry at least hehe
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

what's the point of fabric if someone isn't going to stumble into you sending your drink flying, yak on your shoes, and then ask you if you've got any pills?
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
nic

Post by nic »

3 for a tenner bruv
enigneyratorelknaw

Lets just wrap it all up eh, enough is enough...

get real jobs, move to the suburbs and start ya little plastic familys, just super
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

hmm but then where will my step kid go clubbing in her terrible teens??? some manky old pub with a jukebox? eeeek
enigneyratorelknaw

Who needs fun anyway
nic

Post by nic »

u guisae r making me sad
:(
youthful_implants

fooishbar wrote:what's the point of fabric if someone isn't going to stumble into you sending your drink flying, yak on your shoes, and then ask you if you've got any pills?
hahaha thats so true.
Strontium Music

enigneyratorelknaw

nic wrote:u guisae r making me sad
:brohugs:
Raider

Post by Raider »

this thread is kind of depressing lol.

I think melbourne is awesome, the uk scene falling apart can only make ours more epic :]
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

youthful_implants wrote:
fooishbar wrote:what's the point of fabric if someone isn't going to stumble into you sending your drink flying, yak on your shoes, and then ask you if you've got any pills?
hahaha thats so true.
only took 45min for that to happen last night (minus the yakking on shoes).
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Don't hate me for house
almax

Post by almax »

Evilsnakewoman-

Fractured tried this "superclub" philosophy both at seven and moreso when we moved it to Brown Alley, with access to multiple rooms we attempted to have a weekly night which would have multiple genres playing alongside each other.
It worked great for a few months (at brown alley), but then you will see a combination of things which cause it to snowball such as:

*Politics
*People getting bored of the same venue
*Politics
*Not enough people turning up, resulting in less acts playing which pisses off DJs that get cancelled last minute. Then people connected with that crew will get annoyed etc etc.
*They then go and start their own night elsewhere and start attracting their own crowd to the detriment of the "superclub".
*Did i mention Politics?

But maybe that was just because back in those days there was not enough of a crowd into that music to fill it every week and keep it fresh, maybe there is those numbers now? (i rarely go out these days so i wouldnt know). If i recall correctly the opening night at fractured (Brown Alley) there was about 1,700 people through the doors and it was rammed, most weeks we could expect about 500 on average over the course of the night but on slow nights we were lucky to get 2-300. Its really difficult to get people to keep coming back week in week out for a long period of time.
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

hey almax,

mmm yeah i remember fractured. Could have been a million things, but ultimately it would seem like the genre/industry wasn't ready or sustainable. The politics is a big problem if crews can't decipher their role in the big picture. There may potentially be room for both independent crews running monthly parties and as well as a weekly gig to help boost the local scene and build networks/audience. Or maybe a bit of cross over where you can brand the night as a weekly event and let different crews run the night on different weeks etc. I dunno.. the idea was to try and find out how many peeps in melb are into this kinda sounds...???

one step at a time.., & don't dwell on the past ma dear let's just learn from it ey :)
nic

Post by nic »

you must be an alias lol
i find it hard to believe you can consistently write in such spastic generalities.

this thread was meant to be a calender for rave time not a pedestal for your inane drug coma scene rumblings - that's what off topic is for.

please sort it out and return for brohugs when done.
(:brohugs:)

same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

I'm still here nic
:brohugs:
nic

Post by nic »

im not
:9(
aroes

Post by aroes »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote: There may potentially be room for both independent crews running monthly parties and as well as a weekly gig to help boost the local scene and build networks/audience
help boost the scene?

how much more of a boost does it need? look at the crazy amount of stuff coming up

boosted imo
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

why do i keep reading this thread?

it is shitting me.

:leavesagain:
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

arose>>>> boost the local scene as opposed to using international headliners (many whom reside in melbs) to draw a crowd...

might be nice for some melb dnb/dubstep djs to have a platform for international success?

anyhow, don't know if needs boosting cos don't have numbers
youthful_implants

fooishbar wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:
hahaha thats so true.
only took 45min for that to happen last night (minus the yakking on shoes).
:smt005 :smt005

its a universal ting!
Strontium Music

Feigan

Post by Feigan »

^ if they want international success why would they need a platform in Melbourne?

Wouldn't it pay to leave and start your international reign of terror?

How many internationals reside in Melbourne other than Carl Cox and School of Thought?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:.
might be nice for some melb dnb/dubstep djs to have a platform for international success?
then they need to go OVERSEAS or sell enough tracks to be noticed overseas, or be on a label that sells stuff OVERSEAS.

Melbourne Djs are getting recognised overseas, but not from being put on as headliner at gigs here.

this argument - it has no logic.

exactly feigan.

:whyamiinthisthreadagain:
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

it's cool, just an idea mate. has been useful method for other musos is all.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

name one.

;runawaykittyrunaway:
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

my mate felix was a jazz muso who used to play regular gigs at a club & is now international success... Ali B is here playing at the mo playin BA & 161... i dunno heaps of good musos/djs start from a residency.

...how would anyone know where to find them otherwise? *cheeky*
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol: yes, they START with a residency, that makes sense.

but i guarantee you they did not get 'recognised internationally' by playing residencies or gigs at small melbourne venues.

:whybotherimout:
Amick

Post by Amick »

this has turned into a circular argument of stupidity.