MELBOURNE ON FIRE - EVENT TIMETABLE *see first post*

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
TheOperatives

Re: MELBOURNE ON FIRE - EVENT TIMETABLE

Post by TheOperatives »

Can we leave event flyers off this page and maintain it as just a simple listing page, to be fair to everyone?
ImageImage
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

get rid of ya signature Jerry :teef:

hahaha
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

ha, i laughed after i posted that actually.....

i'll shut up now...
ImageImage
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Gutted, the cost of producing the app isn't worth it.
Oh well, pays to ask the question
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

meltdown wrote:great to see a list of things to do, would it be a stupid idea if someone could make an iphone app that promoters could log into & update events, fliers & bookings?
Anything out there close to it?
I reckon it would be a handy tool
you just need a website. 'iphone app' being pulled out every time seriously makes me cringe.

being slightly more serious, there's already services out there that offer this - e.g. just use google calendar and share the calendar.

i don't think that you'd ever get every promoter in town using such a service though.

as a segue, i've nearly finished the events feature for this board anyway.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

ghetto kitty wrote:i found these prices from the stuff i was sent -
not worth it for the actual number of people with iphones.

1. iPhone APP - Musician/DJ/Producer.
$997 plus hosting fee $45/month
(plus standard volume $0.01 per download after 1st 1000)

2. iPhone and Android APP- Musician/DJ/Producer.
$1,897 plus hosting fee $45/month

3. iPhone APP- Labels, Venues, Events, MGMT and Agents.
$1,997 plus hosting fee $50-100/month

4. iPhone and Android APP- Labels,Venues, Events, MGMT and Agents.
$3,497 plus hosting fee $50-100/month

5. Added Value - Push Notification one time setup fee.
iPhone $399 Android $199.
/me goes to start ipad dev work :lol:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

system wrote: you just need a website. 'iphone app' being pulled out every time seriously makes me cringe.

being slightly more serious, there's already services out there that offer this - e.g. just use google calendar and share the calendar.

i don't think that you'd ever get every promoter in town using such a service though.

as a segue, i've nearly finished the events feature for this board anyway.
agree, i hate that everything revolves around i phone apps, i mean srsly, lots of us have them but they arent the majority id say! I couldnt justify paying for an app like this for the venue unless 70% of possible punters used an iphone and its not there yet.

Also - there is a google calendar that kiss n tell set up for all of us promoters of broken beat type stuff, and we do email each other in a loop regularly with upcoming gigs to avoid clashes. hence the nice spread of events and dates in this thread!
but this is a small group and we do all pretty much know each other. there is no point having say, mnml techno promoters on that loop as their events arent really in competition with ours. So yeh, it works!

that said - I would love to see some sort of website/function/app/something that is basically the street press listings, each week, with links to google maps so if you are in the city, you can find whats on where right at that minute. the only problem is, beat currently has a really clunky shit system for submitting events online, it prob works for event promoters okay, but for me, submitting 5 or more events weekly the way they have it set up is a real headfuck.
i still wonder if the general population would use somerthing like this, or if its just for all of us diehards/trashbags/partyheads and djs/promoters who hit five venues a night. :lol:
sPeCtRuM

Post by sPeCtRuM »

Isn't event listings/discussion/etc etc what Melb beats is for? Accessing Melb beats on the iphone is easy and the format to read on iphone is good enough. Melb beats is usually the first source for everything i need to know. Can't see why building a seperate page would help apart from making the info more concise.
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

...what function can a consolidated events list/calendar have other than to just inform?
system wrote: you just need a website. nearly finished the events feature for this board anyway.
:retzielikes:
eN

Post by eN »

meltdown wrote:great to see a list of things to do, would it be a stupid idea if someone could make an iphone app that promoters could log into & update events, fliers & bookings?
Anything out there close to it?
I reckon it would be a handy tool
U mean like this?

http://www.melbournednb.com/calendar.php

http://eventerator.com/
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

Big ups to all promoters. But honestly nothing on the list really excites me. Most i've heard several times. Looks very simular to the upcoming gig list of 2 or 3 years ago. I reakon this may caused by melbournes dancers or ravers unwillingness to occupy the dance when the sound is unfamiliar or maybe even the dj's inability to adapt and grow but def not by shitty promotion. After all promotors are just victims of demand most of the time. I wanna hear some madness in the music, a real experience. Maybe i just need to start takin drugs again :P
enigneyratorelknaw

Sorry not to conform
enigneyratorelknaw

Ok ok Ras G is a good choice, maybe i'll be there
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Cheers for the response guys
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I don't really go out much at the moment, but at the moment I'd have to say there is an amazingly diverse range of acts coming through!

Are you actually looking for diversity, or are you looking for diversity that fits into a particular niche that you like?
Don't hate me for house
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

Ravers don’t necessarily want the same stuff as before. For 50 bucks they had 9hrs of 5 different styles of music to choose from in a mighty venue. We keep bringing out the same fucking DJs every year… over and over. No stress cos u no theyl come out next year. Who wants 2 pay $30 2 c some uk dj u’v heard b4 or pay $35-$40 2 c some unknown – it could all just b hype.

Punters move in flocks., not independently. They want 2 b drunk with friends. Punters can see when djing bcomes just “work”. That’s when the love is lost.

We need positive energy if we’re going to keep this fire burning through winter. Or a truck load of MDMA lol.

I’ll zip it now.
enigneyratorelknaw

JAMESSSS wrote:I don't really go out much at the moment, but at the moment I'd have to say there is an amazingly diverse range of acts coming through!

Are you actually looking for diversity, or are you looking for diversity that fits into a particular niche that you like?
ah pretty sure diversity, niche is too small a spectrum to be diverse

but anyway who gives a shit, bring on winter

I just need to dig up my old suppliers number if he not dead yet

:angel8:
enigneyratorelknaw

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:Ravers don’t necessarily want the same stuff as before. For 50 bucks they had 9hrs of 5 different styles of music to choose from in a mighty venue. We keep bringing out the same fucking DJs every year… over and over. No stress cos u no theyl come out next year. Who wants 2 pay $30 2 c some uk dj u’v heard b4 or pay $35-$40 2 c some unknown – it could all just b hype.

Punters move in flocks., not independently. They want 2 b drunk with friends. Punters can see when djing bcomes just “work”. That’s when the love is lost.

We need positive energy if we’re going to keep this fire burning through winter. Or a truck load of MDMA lol.

I’ll zip it now.
Or pay $15 so see dj's that have never been to Oz and have been killing it for a good 15 years internationally :retzielikes:
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:Ravers don’t necessarily want the same stuff as before. For 50 bucks they had 9hrs of 5 different styles of music to choose from in a mighty venue. We keep bringing out the same fucking DJs every year… over and over. No stress cos u no theyl come out next year. Who wants 2 pay $30 2 c some uk dj u’v heard b4 or pay $35-$40 2 c some unknown – it could all just b hype.

I’ll zip it now.
i think your on the wrong page here... Seems the negative energy is coming from you.... I don't think much of our crowd are Ravers, who went to gigs back in the day.... Gone are those times, try and do one now with the kind of licensing that we face....Punters are also music lovers, who don't just want to be drunk with friends, but listen to the music, as to why they understand it costs to bring out someone they like, and want to hear. The pricing of events where you can only cater to 50 to 1000 people, where a breakeven is at a certain mark, u need to charge fair money so as to not go bankrupt.

Statement is so invalid, unless you were to bring someone who is unknown down, and are willing to lose money for a few years, till the point they become known and someone like you states that they "keep bringing out the same fucking DJs every year… over and over. No stress cos u no theyl come out next year.". It would be annnoying no?

If you are part of a flock, then just listen to whoever is leading you. If you are the leader of a flock, i feel they may have been mislead.
ImageImage
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ramadanman's never been to australia before and it'll be less than $30 for 9 hours of dubstep, uk funky, future garage, techno, house, dubstep from every part of the spectrum, autonomic, wonky, etc :teef:

but seriously all of that is true

(edit: goes without saying that i think it's a silly diverse array of gigs, some of which have a lot more variety in a single night than has been seen in a long time - i'm pretty gutted to be missing the majority of them. hopefully people come out and support them, but teh skeen does have a long and proud history of gigs with more posts on the forum thread than people through the door.)
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

come on jerry, you know i walk alone.

why is it that no one's listening until you bad mouth?

I don't have the leadership or power in this instance, but you do....

the discussion was about whether we have capacity in Melbs to take this scene to the next level. would you be interested in finding out?

i'm surprised that u & nam have hit at my ideas and told me to do it myself? What good is re-inventing the wheel & creating more competition? wouldn't it be easier to build on what you have now that the foundations are potentially there?

what outcome do you honestly think i'm trying to get out of this thread?

QUESTION - would promoters put data into a central hub in order to be able to get a better picture of Melb? Then we'd all be on the same page and able to use the information to benefit everyone... no?

Oh and don't be daft, the dnb scene is full of old melb ravers! hehehe :P
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

there was a promoters subforum on here for the longest time (since before my time here), but no-one ever really used it at all, so it got disbanded a couple of months ago.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote: QUESTION - would promoters put data into a central hub in order to be able to get a better picture of Melb? Then we'd all be on the same page and able to use the information to benefit everyone... no?
I thought I answered that question earlier but maybe I was dreaming when I posted that.

:tard:
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

hmmm maybe not a forum for discussion. Calendar that you can log actual data eg. Numbers paid customers, how much people paid, when & where, etc. basic data to start.

dont want individual info to be publicly accessible. only the consolidated results maybe? final figures, the peaks & troughs etc. Privacy issues would need to be in place etc.

and another question... does anyone know what was happening in 2007 when there were over 100 users logged on at once?

(nice one foo, thanks)
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i don't think anyone at all would ever do that - i wouldn't.
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

really, why not? even with a privacy agreement?

sorry kitty, i must have missed that one! my bad
OperativeNam

Post by OperativeNam »

When u make comments like 'Punters move in flocks., not independently. They want 2 b drunk with friends. Punters can see when djing bcomes just “work”. That’s when the love is lost.' it pretty much sums up your naivety in regards to putting on parties.

And to answer your questions, no i don't agree with any of your ideas. I think your opinions are ill informed and what started as a thread showcasing Melbourne's events has turned into you pushing ideas on to promoters. If you feel that strongly about 'changing' or helping improve the 'foundations', email the promoters with your ideas, don't go on public forums and 'bad mouth' people who work hard to put on parties for the punters who move in flocks.

The thread is Melbourne's Events Timetable not do we have the capacity we to 'take it to the next level'.

P.S Scuba, Ras G, Logistics & total eclipse over 3 rooms for $30 not $50.Look at the events timetable.
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:come on jerry, you know i walk alone.

why is it that no one's listening until you bad mouth?

I don't have the leadership or power in this instance, but you do....

the discussion was about whether we have capacity in Melbs to take this scene to the next level. would you be interested in finding out?

i'm surprised that u & nam have hit at my ideas and told me to do it myself? What good is re-inventing the wheel & creating more competition? wouldn't it be easier to build on what you have now that the foundations are potentially there?

what outcome do you honestly think i'm trying to get out of this thread?

QUESTION - would promoters put data into a central hub in order to be able to get a better picture of Melb? Then we'd all be on the same page and able to use the information to benefit everyone... no?

Oh and don't be daft, the dnb scene is full of old melb ravers! hehehe :P
Did you read what i was writing about? Come on, it's arrogant to think that we haven't worked hard to get where we are. Words are easy, try the actions, and if you've been there you know. But if you haven't it's easy to suggest. Re-inventing the wheel you say, i believe the direction of this entire thread was to maintain the fact that we were on the same page. There were n clashes. And a LARGE amount of diverstiy in the beats scene with new and old artists coming through from a variety of crews.

Understand as well that to some of us, this IS our livelyhood. What do you do for a living and perhaps let this daft one place it into perspective for you.
ImageImage
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

hey hey hey, guys! i was never trying to have a go at operatives. it was never a diss at anyone. but you have insulted me directly calling me names. nice.

i say these things from the opinion of someone who has paid to go to many operatives gigs, elements gigs, bba gigs, fractured gigs, plus one gigs, kombat bass gigs, polariod gigs, wobble gigs, therapy sessions... the list goes on.

I may not work directly in your industry at the moment but i still have a place in it. And maybe a little insight perhaps.

I'm sorry that independent ideas are not welcome here and that information should not be shared but discussed privately behind closed doors.

I'm not the one trying to tell people what to think. I'm the one asking the questions.

You started the fire Jerry... I just poured some fuel on it for u.
Amick

Post by Amick »

EvilSnakeWoman wrote:so if melb has the capacity to run weekly gigs for this mix of genres... does that suggest that collaboratively we could fill a weekly nightspot aka superclub??

would be great to not have to know whats on & just roll down to the local club playing what u wanna hear each week...

hmm think about it i guess
I sort of understand where you're coming from but going to the same place week in, week out would do my head in. If the kids who don't know who Calibre is want to check him out pick up a street press, its not hard to read and see who plays Techno, House, Hip Hop, DnB or Dubstep etc. AND where to go to hear it as they list the address of every club too.

Also I think promoters on here are very passionate about what they do, I respect everyone of them and I think what you're suggesting is nothing ground breaking by any means.

Could you explain in a bit more detail the appeal as to why such a Superclub should exist? Not trying to call you out i've been a punter for a long time as well, just curious.
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

Thanks Amick. IMO - there's something to be said about consistency.

Eg. One a friday/sat night some peeps r at home having a drink getting fired up and they go, "what shall we do tonight, let's go out!?"
Someone goes "let's go listen to DnB/Dubstep",
"Yeah cool, we should just roll down to **club cos they have it on every Fri/Sat night and we know it's going to be $20 entry and they have cheap **insert fav spirit here**"
Oh look i have my VIP/Medalion here, we can all get in for $15!!!"
"WOOOHOOO, I'll call the maxitaxi... let's rolll"

That's how i got into dnb. Not bcos we were going to see some fantastic dj but bcos we just wanted to listen to dnb music in a club that night and we're loaded... we didn't take it that seriously, just wanna have fun & dance. People do have other jobs so they might not be focussed on the 'who's who' and 'whats good' in the scene. but they still might really like the music.

Thought a weekly club mite help create capacity to cram out more HiFi and forum size venues again. I know it's not a new idea, i just thought it might be something worth rehashing to draw new bzness for everyone?

all the gigs listed are worth going to... I'm hoping there'll be so many more wicked gigs like this that we can double the scene in melb by 2020!?!?
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

Who are you by the way?

I did not take it as a direct go on the Operatives, but perhaps defending a scene i believe in.

You claim we have no communication, a poor overpriced boring scene. How am i not to respond to that? My "DIY" reply, was aimed at giving you an understanding that it is not easy. Hence comments that were earlier stated by yourself just contradicts everything you say.

To take it to another level? Unity, mergers, combination of crews? Possible, maybe, probable, unlikely, who knows... but the good thing is just look at the list, it's thriving, IGOR, it's alive, but you want the good old days where the acts were constantly new...??!? Do you realise how hard it would be to run a weekly, who would be in charge, who would take the risk, then how would you balance out risk/profitability? Sure it would be great, but it's not easy. Hence the question of, would you dare do it yourself? Front the money on a weekly basis, maintaining that possible risk, if so as 1 promoter who is not into the idea brings out an international on a week in a diff club, a festival is on, a storm rolls through, exams take all the people away..... then can u deal with that loss?

Not once did i put down your insight or ideas, i apologise if you feel i have insulted you personally, I am just responding to statements which i felt were ill informed and inaccurate. Take it as a rebuttal.
ImageImage
OperativeNam

Post by OperativeNam »

I am all for sharing information and ideas and your insight is very welcome but when u jump on here, your opinions and ideas are open to being dissected and refuted, publicly. It doesn't help your cause by claiming that you are only heard when you 'bad mouth'.

I haven't called you any names, on here.I clearly stated that i didn't share or agree with your ideas and opinions & what i thought of your opinions & ideas.
enigneyratorelknaw

JAMESSSS wrote:Scene needs a local superstar tbh.
How about Mark N, Plays killer sets everytime... Is regulary booked by the europeans and would shrivel any other local junglist in a battle heheh
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

It's all good ok.

I'm aware that there are risks and that it's not easy, but look at how far melbourne has come. It was never EZ.

The reason weekly nights work when they do (imo) is because the slow weeks (eg. exams etc) are covered by the huge weeks. Some people like to go to a club when it's bz and pumpin, some like it when there's room to move and sit and chat with their friends.

By asking a few questions on a forum, i was DIYing the idea. You can't just go jumping into something without getting the facts first, bit of surveying is as. If the industry isn't interested in collaborating in a weekly night, regardless of who foots the bill or organises things then there's little point in taking the idea much further. No worries.

This is why i ask, not bcos i think i know but bcos i am trying to find out. scope

I'm just a little confused by having to choose between gigs stacked full of headliners, different venues, different cover chargers, different "crews" creating different politics. I'm sorry if this is not the feedback you want to hear but at least it's honest.
:(
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

I accidently the whole promotion thread
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

ok ok, it is all good, apologies.... one day we may have a super club!! peace....
ImageImage
nic

Post by nic »

i read the thread
melbourne has it good
shut up lol
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

and i've read so many of your posts nic.
there's a reason people don't post.
thanks to bs like urs.
Raider

Post by Raider »

Melbourne is too small for politics, lol.

Grouphug?
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

lol R DJs & Promoters huggable?

sorry but it looks to me as if this forum is a little unbalance atm... where r all the punters?

or have i gatecrashed some exclusive party ;)
mrj

Post by mrj »

evil snake woman

this forum operated just fine before you got here, and will continue to long after you are gone. Whilst there are disagreements from time to time it doesn't matter, because the majority of people here treat each other with respect.

nik might be a bit cheeky, but he's also piss funny. He's also generally positive and a great contributor of mixes of his own and ones that he finds.

that's the thing about respect you see, its something you earn.

If you are happy to also treat other users with respect then I think you'll find that most will be happy to do the same for you.

If not then you are most welcome to fuck off.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

hey, play nice.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

this thread in image form

TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

dan, can we lose this page.... just leave the listings and have it updated?
ImageImage
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

still needs roller skating gangsta tho surely???
EvilSnakeWoman

Post by EvilSnakeWoman »

lol stirrer
Mysty

Post by Mysty »

:lol: :lol:
enigneyratorelknaw

Lol @ melbourne suicide
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

jerry - this thread will be replaced by a proper events system shortly. no need to kill the thread over some heated posts, some good discussion was had amongst the flames. :)