A NOTE TO MELBOURNE

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Cubist

A NOTE TO MELBOURNE

Post by Cubist »

I can understand how some people might have interpreted my views as negative in the Knowledge Mag interview. I've asked for the other thread to be taken down as I found it offensive. I was talking about the political state of Melbourne, not the people or the lifestyle. Melbourne as a city I got some problems with. The laws, the police. I reackon we are becoming way too conservative. It's scary. Various drinking laws. The recent immediate increase in tobacco prices. The unnecessarily aggressive attitude of MET police. And the general aggressive vibe from police these days is scary. 10 years ago, Melbourne was more relaxed. Things have changed. Cops seem so eager to bust you up and spray capsicum spray in ur face. This increase in aggression fuels both the police and the public. I see things getting worse before they get better…I got a ticket for J walking across Swanston street outside Maccas at 2am recently. I thought this was ridiculous. Im going to court to tell the Magistrate the same. I reackon instead of government heavy handed tactics and decisions we need to educate kids from a young age. About the dangers of binge drinking or smoking cigarettes. Parts of Europe have a much more relaxed atmosphere such as Germany or Portugal. Not just in drinking laws but a general more relaxed vibe.

The question do I have advice for aspiring producers…When I answered that I was thinking purely of the kids who give me their tunes every month at Wobble and online. The kids have such good ideas. And their production is WAY better than mine when I started out. But the truth is they really have to put their heads down. It's all fun n games goin out getting wasted but if you want your tracks to get to a playable level you gotta really work hard. The question what other Australian Producers we should look out for…is a personal thing. It's whats in my record bag. I don't have any other Aussie producers in my record bag. One part of a question was worded 'Wobble is billed as Melbourne Top DnB Night'…I went on to explain about Heartical Hi Fi. Heartical Hi Fi is Melbourne's first ever Soundsystem. Traditional Soundsystem. In the Jamaican Style. Using a custom built analog pre amp. At Wobble we use 6 x 18'' J Bins (which amplify the sound and act as 12 x 18'' front loaded speakers) and 4 x 15'' speakers. My views on the Melbourne DnB Scene will be in an Inpress feature on local promotors out soon. Below is an excpert from my Q & A with Inpress written June 2nd this year.

If there's anyone I've offended. I'm more than happy to give you free entry to Wobble and free drinks. And we can talk face to face about the matter. Msg me at [email protected].

2. How have you seen the industry evolve over the past 10 years and what events do you believe truly helped to shape this evolution?

There's been heaps of parties and crews over the last 10 years.  Even earlier, in the late 1990's the Groove Therapy Parties were responsible for bringing some of the scene's biggest DJ's to Australia from the UK.  But, I think in the last few years the Aussie scene is SLOWELY starting to come alive.  With more Producers writing quality tunes and getting signed to UK labels.  We are getting more people to parties these days without having a headline artist from the UK.  But with parties it really comes down to the effort the promotors put in. Some promotors have been lazy with their effort with Sound and Production and some have been really active.  The stand out ones in terms of what influenced me musically was Just Rite at Scu Bar.  Just upfront Dance floor tunes.  Soundsystem wise Tekstep parties using Tower of Terror Soundsystem was always good sound but defo had some sore ears after some of their parties.  And Production wise the Krachmacher parties were great.  Both sound wise but mostly their effort with production.  Their effort with Decor and environment created something fresh and going to their parties was a real experience.  They had their own thing going on.  A real dark but creative environment.  Broken Beat Assault Crew put in lots of effort and they reep the rewards with big turn outs for their parties.  I think cause of Wobble kids these days have an understanding of what good sound is.  Heartical Hi Fi Soundsystem supplies the Sound at Wobble.  And we move more air than any other DnB/Dubstep event around the country.  Bring back vibes of dark rooms and Big Sound.
djcopious

Re: A NOTE TO MELBOURNE

Post by djcopious »

Well Mr Cubist.... let me tell you, that I will definitely be coming down to Wobble to have a chat with you then..... and will be demanding my free drink too! hahaha....

Big Ups on letting your thoughts be known!
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

People are annoyed Cubist because you represent more than just yourself when your interviewed by foreign websites/magazines. Interviews are tough, just be a little smarter and prepared. :smt004
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Does any one else think this is like a Melbourne version of Mistabishi saga?

Any ways this is my two cents.

The reason people are offended and pissed off is because when you speak to an international magazine you are representing Melbourne and Australia as a whole. This was a chance for you to turn a lot of the hate that you receive into something positive (or just ignore it, your night is by far one of the most popular Melbourne has ever seen and you get a lot of love from a lot of people). I have read articles from you before and and found some of the things offensive and unnecessary however that is your point of view, and at the end of the day it is just that so I don’t particularly care.

The previous thread was unnecessary. But I can see why people have reacted the way they have (you have been purposefully antagonistic in the past IE. The Fuck Face Promoters post and people are going to assume the worst). When you say things in such a public manner you do need to watch what you say as people can read what you say however they want to read it.

If you put negativity out there you are going to get it back. Something I am slowly learning my self is that there is no point in fighting against other promoters or even care what they think as they are not the reason I do what I do. I almost hung the towel up with Too Much! Because I was hearing shit that people were apparently saying and all that and then went “why am I doing this? Because I fucken love it and it is my way of getting the music that I am so passionate about to a wider audience” and at the end of the day that is why Eden does it, that is why Jerry does it, it is why anyone does it.

Wobble for the most part is a great party (granted most of the music is not my thing) but people there have a fuck load of fun and that is something that is the reason for putting on a party, isn’t it? What Eden has achieved with his own productions and Wobble is something is impressive; no one since I have been around has successfully filled a club month in month out with local djs.

I am neither pro Wobble nor anti Wobble. Wobble is what it is and Eden is who he is, people seem to love him or hate him. I think he has done allot for the scene in respect to getting new people into it and also giving new djs a chance. It would be sad to see the night go. It has fostered new talent and got a heap of people into the music I love.

This whole saga needs more

:brohugs:
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

Perhaps you're right, this was something to be left off the forums. Unfortunately i think the only communication i've really had is on forums. A statement of denial on any other crew to have a night because of another, that in my opinion was unfair. A direct insult considered as "tongue in cheek", sometimes i would love not to react, but unfortunately i have to. I don't like sitting on fences.

Cubist has achieved international recognition as an artist, the music is good, i do not deny that Eden, nor do i deny the fact and appreciate that wobble has done very well in itself. My post earlier in the month on setting up a calender was intended directly on a unified front. Stating how good Melbourne has got it, how in a sense the scene has allowed for discussion and the lack of clashes. Give me a chance on a recognised international outlet and i'll do the same, hence my aggravation.

There is no "Tall Poppy" syndrome happening here, i'm not from this country, i've worked hard to get what i have happening, happening. I will not lay claim to it being the best, and i will attribute it to the loyalty of music lovers, who want to have a good party, who enjoy a certain sound, genre and the extent both old and new international and local artists out there. I will attribute it to the people who have built the scene for i certainly would not have even been here.

Maybe i shouldn't say what i think, and perhaps dan, delete this thread as well.....

peace.
ImageImage
*catalyst

Post by *catalyst »

I see. I don't know Cubist

I have read the article online and I do see that Cubist has a point. I think he has poorly framed it, to say the least, and subsequently upset people. It's not hard to be nice, doesn't cost nothin' either. I don't listen to a lot of local productions myself, but I'm not sure why that is.

In relation to "The Scene" it doesn't have to be a zero sum game. If we break it down, Wobble appears to be popular for pretty simple reasons; good sound as priority, good local dj's people know and from what I'm told, good vibes.

More love, less gossip etc.
"Anybody want some motherfucking Earl Grey?" -Cleveland
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

Last edited by same o on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harz

Post by Harz »

at least he is putting new blood/fresh face's on and giving them a chance to play out on a big rig. Personally reckon ya cant do anything more positive for ya scene than that..
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Harz wrote:at least he is putting new blood/fresh face's on and giving them a chance to play out on a big rig. Personally reckon ya cant do anything more positive for ya scene than that..
Couldn't have said it any better than that.
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
Raider

Post by Raider »

It's not really anything like Mistabishi... in that case it was about dishonesty... like it's one thing to play a mix cd in a club... it's another to put vinyl on the decks and PRETEND to mix...

People can say a lot of things about Cubist... but one thing you can't deny is he's an honest bastard... MAYBE TOO HONEST?!

Basically I think everyone needs to chill out and run their own parties for the music...
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
flippo

Post by flippo »

You gotta be quick on the draw to catch same o's un-edited posts. He drops the VIP's and then throws down the radio edit - only the true heads catch the original dubs. Dun no etc.
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

flippo wrote:You gotta be quick on the draw to catch same o's un-edited posts. He drops the VIP's and then throws down the radio edit - only the true heads catch the original dubs. Dun no etc.
Some of us lead such amazing lives huh
Upcoming....
flippo

Post by flippo »

oi oi now just playin' brokips
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

flippo wrote:oi oi now just playin' brokips
Upcoming....
deviant

Post by deviant »

flippo wrote:You gotta be quick on the draw to catch same o's un-edited posts. He drops the VIP's and then throws down the radio edit - only the true heads catch the original dubs. Dun no etc.
YAY, I am one of da elitez
nic

Post by nic »

Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Well, personally, I think Dillinja is not nearly as good as he used to be. I don't expect anyone to keep to the same style (especially someone that has been in the game as long as Dilly) but it really is hard to see one of DnBs greatest pioneers to go from making such groundbreaking and brilliant tunes to making some of the rubbish he does now.
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Potatoes
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Hardy wrote:Well, personally, I think Dillinja is not nearly as good as he used to be. I don't expect anyone to keep to the same style (especially someone that has been in the game as long as Dilly) but it really is hard to see one of DnBs greatest pioneers to go from making such groundbreaking and brilliant tunes to making some of the rubbish he does now.
Heaps of people are in this boat though, yeah?
Don't hate me for house
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

Harz wrote:at least he is putting new blood/fresh face's on and giving them a chance to play out on a big rig. Personally reckon ya cant do anything more positive for ya scene than that..
I definitely agree with that. Bout time a few other promoters gave the new talent a chance. There's some highly under rated Dj's in Melbs.

Cubist, I still think you should get a PR manager :wink:
RGLZ

Post by RGLZ »

tbh, I don't think it's really that hard to get a gig if you are good enough?
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

RGLZ wrote:tbh, I don't think it's really that hard to get a gig if you are good enough?
same shit goes everywhere frankie.

its not what you know, its who you know.
Upcoming....
Harz

Post by Harz »

Theres plenty of DJ's/producers/MC's that are way beyond good enuff and work hard enough to be getting more gig's in Melbourne.(ATP,Dysphemic,Deall,Retsa,Cubist,C1,Ctoafn just to name a few)
I just reckon people might be more inclined to turn up early/stay after the international if there was a bit more variation in the support DJ's??..
not complaining in any way ,just saying.. 8)
sternumbreaks

Post by sternumbreaks »

RGLZ wrote:tbh, I don't think it's really that hard to get a gig if you are good enough?
disagree to an extent. sure, talent is usually recognised but when you have guys who have been doing their thing at a consistent level for so long..
soundcloud.com/sternumbreaks
djcam

Post by djcam »

word Harz..
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

Harz wrote: I just reckon people might be more inclined to turn up early/stay after the international if there was a bit more variation in the support DJ's??..
I reckon this comes down to the abundance of good agates floating around.
Upcoming....
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Hardy wrote:Well, personally, I think Dillinja is not nearly as good as he used to be. I don't expect anyone to keep to the same style (especially someone that has been in the game as long as Dilly) but it really is hard to see one of DnBs greatest pioneers to go from making such groundbreaking and brilliant tunes to making some of the rubbish he does now.
Doesnt this sound oh too familiar in breaks. I hear ya Hardy.
SoulWhiteMan

Post by SoulWhiteMan »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:
Doesnt this sound oh too familiar in breaks. I hear ya Hardy.
Move to 4/4

You won't regret it ;)
Harz

Post by Harz »

bonsai wrote:
Harz wrote: I just reckon people might be more inclined to turn up early/stay after the international if there was a bit more variation in the support DJ's??..
I reckon this comes down to the abundance of good agates floating around.
Disagree but sad if true
phonetics

Post by phonetics »

bassfreak wrote:
I definitely agree with that. Bout time a few other promoters gave the new talent a chance. There's some highly under rated Dj's in Melbs.

I always put on a couple of up and comers for phonetics...
REST-LESS Friday October 14 MERCAT BASEMENT

View this on Soundcloud

dust

Post by dust »

phonetics wrote:
bassfreak wrote:

I always put on a couple of up and comers for phonetics...
We put three up and comers on for the Polaroid xmas party and we did so because they were good DJs who had passion for the music we were pushing, and not for any other reason.
teyastro

Post by teyastro »

Same o....u got it pretty much on there. Personally I don't care, everyone is entitled to there opinion, if u don't like it deal with it, no need to bitch about it
BEATS INC.

Post by BEATS INC. »

First I have to say I think this thread is bull shit. But, at the same time I love the fact that people can express there views in these forums.

Unfortunately, if your are an up and coming dj/producer/mc you will most probably need to start putting on your own nights to get a gig. Thats how Rol-n and myself started out. And thats how just about every other Melbourne dj started out. Its just the way the game rolls. Really, there are fuck all gigs around town for any DnB dj, no matter how experience or good they are. My advise would be, get your crew together and start a night. Even if its just a one off night. Give it a crack. (And don't bring out an international dj/mc. Do a local night. Push the local scene.) Then you will experience what its like to put your hard earned time and money towards a club night. Its not easy. Love and dedication goes a long way! A very long way!!
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

BEATS INC. wrote:First I have to say I think this thread is bull shit. But, at the same time I love the fact that people can express there views in these forums.

Unfortunately, if your are an up and coming dj/producer/mc you will most probably need to start putting on your own nights to get a gig. Thats how Rol-n and myself started out. And thats how just about every other Melbourne dj started out. Its just the way the game rolls. Really, there are fuck all gigs around town for any DnB dj, no matter how experience or good they are. My advise would be, get your crew together and start a night. Even if its just a one off night. Give it a crack. (And don't bring out an international dj/mc. Do a local night. Push the local scene.) Then you will experience what its like to put your hard earned time and money towards a club night. Its not easy. Love and dedication goes a long way! A very long way!!
Sad but true. I know most crews will occasionally give someone new a go, but it's damn rare.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Yeah but at the same time a lot of good local guys dont go looking for gigs. You cant just sit back and wait for someone to call you. I always loved it when guys who were playing for me helped out. Guys would come up and give demos (so few dj's do that these days).

Sure you can start a night but you need to be able to market yourself. Do a mix and instead of just uploading it, burn 50-100 on CD's and hand them out at gigs. Make sure that when you do play, you try to bring a crew down to support. Promoters love that shit man. You put enough of yourself into trying to help the night you are playing for succed and you'll be gauranteed to get more gigs and get a good rep around town.

With most promoters, they work full time job then work their asses off to get the shows on so they cant be trolling the internet looking for a DJ. The new or semi-established DJ really gotta go find them.
nic

Post by nic »

i would say house music tbh.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

ctoafn_DMZ wrote:Yeah but at the same time a lot of good local guys dont go looking for gigs. You cant just sit back and wait for someone to call you. I always loved it when guys who were playing for me helped out. Guys would come up and give demos (so few dj's do that these days).

Sure you can start a night but you need to be able to market yourself. Do a mix and instead of just uploading it, burn 50-100 on CD's and hand them out at gigs. Make sure that when you do play, you try to bring a crew down to support. Promoters love that shit man. You put enough of yourself into trying to help the night you are playing for succed and you'll be gauranteed to get more gigs and get a good rep around town.

With most promoters, they work full time job then work their asses off to get the shows on so they cant be trolling the internet looking for a DJ. The new or semi-established DJ really gotta go find them.
True. I've never run a party and I don't know all the ins and outs, but I do know that most running parties are also work normal jobs and putting on parties is done in their spare time and money (which is totally admirable and commands nothing but respect from me).

I'm by no means trying to tell anyone how to run a party. It's up to the promoters, and no one has any right to tell them how to run a party they put so much time and effort and money into, but to the average punter it gets pretty damn boring seeing the same names on every bill, and that's how it's been since as long as I can remember.

I know this is bit of a generalisation and that not all promoters do this, and I am also not singling out or finger pointing, but I think it would definitely be in the promoters best interest to mix things up more.

Anyway, It's not my intention to shake things up here or fingerpoint or get up in anybody's grill, just my 2 cents. i have mad respect for anybody and everybody that has put on all those rad parties over the years. I'm also an old jaded cunt, so take it with a grain of salt.

:brohug:
cammo

Post by cammo »

a note to ones self
shut your mouth n do your own ting.

in other words be very fucking wary wot one says in any form of public media/news/internet avenues.

donk on that nic
:donk:
nic

Post by nic »

never let a photo of you in a fur coat get in public realm tbh
:retzienolike:
aroes

Post by aroes »

prob just don't wear one to begin with tbh
nic

Post by nic »

:scripteef:
Amick

Post by Amick »

ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

1106 views in a day..... GTFO here.....
Why can't all threads get that?!
enigneyratorelknaw

Post by enigneyratorelknaw »

cammo wrote:a note to ones self
shut your mouth n do your own ting.

in other words be very fucking wary wot one says in any form of public media/news/internet avenues.

donk on that nic
:donk:
Only matters if ya dependent on or give a f'k what the public think
Mysty

Post by Mysty »

ctoafn_DMZ wrote:
................ you need to be able to market yourself. Do a mix and instead of just uploading it, burn 50-100 on CD's and hand them out at gigs. Make sure that when you do play, you try to bring a crew down to support. Promoters love that shit man. You put enough of yourself into trying to help the night you are playing for succed and you'll be gauranteed to get more gigs and get a good rep around town......
That is great advice. I will definately use that :D
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

happy hardcore tbh :teef:

Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Mysty wrote:
ctoafn_DMZ wrote:
................ you need to be able to market yourself. Do a mix and instead of just uploading it, burn 50-100 on CD's and hand them out at gigs. Make sure that when you do play, you try to bring a crew down to support. Promoters love that shit man. You put enough of yourself into trying to help the night you are playing for succed and you'll be gauranteed to get more gigs and get a good rep around town......
include a bag in cd case to guarantee gig.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

lol

didnt and wont read it.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Mysty wrote:
ctoafn_DMZ wrote:
Your welcome - Oh yeah and what Fiegan said about the bag wont exactly hurt ;-)