November 26th = Krafty Kuts(UK), Adsorb(UK) + SOT(UK)

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
gaffa101

November 26th = Krafty Kuts(UK), Adsorb(UK) + SOT(UK)

Post by gaffa101 »

Image Feat................
Presented by Image & Image

Krafty Kuts (Against The Grain, UK)
Adsorb (Finger Lickin, UK)
Skool Of Thought (Against The Grain,UK)
Kid Kenobi (AUS)

Friday November 26

Against The Grain returns with one of its strongest lineups to date. Without a doubt Against The Grain has been responsible for the resurgence of breakbeat in this city consistently providing Melbourne clubbers with upfront diverse and musically on it lineups. This will no doubt be one of the biggest breaks shows Melbourne has seen in some time.

We are very proud to present..............

Krafty Kuts (UK)

When you enter a DJ'ing competition, having never DJ'd before, and get to the finals, you know you must have chosen the right career path Krafty Kuts was born, aged 12. Having been responsible for the massively successful Finger Lickin' Funk EP, remixes of Flint and 2inDaBush as well as DJ'ing regularly under the Finger Lickin' banner Martin is now firmly part of the Finger Lickin' family.

Brighton based Krafty Kuts alias Martin Reeves has developed his passion for DJ'ing since the late 1980's when he was fully immersed in the old skool movement, playing locally in legendary clubs such as Sterns, The Zap, and The Concorde and supporting bands across the South Coast. Soon after buying his first set of decks, Martin opened his own record shop, through which he identified a sound for his DJ style, a hip hop funk infusion of up-tempo beats. Martin's big break came in 1993, when Richie Rich featured one of his hip-hop remixes on his Kiss FM show.

With his music knowledge, a successful DJ'ing reputation and the record shop as a catalyst, Krafty Kuts started to make his own music. He aimed to mix up break beat, funk and hip-hop to produce a groundbreaking new sound. The first release Latin Bounce was a massive success in 1997, whilst Gimme the Funk, released on Norman Cook's Southern Fried label, received radio support from the likes of Annie Nightingale and Touche (Wiseguys). Having hooked up with the Ministry of Sound's offshoot label FSUK, Martin was now a serious contender in the new breaks arena. 1998 singles Funky Elements and Return of the Elements were acclaimed by the music press, as was the Krafty Kuts compilation Slam the Breaks On.

By the late 1990's, the sound of Krafty Kuts had been defined, and his unique style received industry notoriety. Martin has had residencies in Brighton, and London clubs from Home, Scala and Heavenly Social to Fabric, 333 and Electrowerks. Martin's DJ'ing gigs have seen him play alongside Norman Cook, The Freestylers, Jungle Brothers, Plump DJs, Scratch Perverts, Roni Size, DJ Rap, and Adam Freeland. It's not surprising then that DJ Magazine readers have voted Martin one of the top 100 DJ's in the world, and more specifically in the top 10 break beat maestros for the last 3 years. Mr Kuts still runs the now legendary Wednesday club night Supercharged at the Funky Buddha Lounge in his hometown of Brighton. 2002 alone has seen Krafty DJ in over 7 countries including gigs all over the UK every weekend and upcoming dates in USA, Canada, Australia and Europe.

Studio collaborations with funk master Freddie Fresh and New York's Dr. Luke produced a brilliant new blend of party beats. Finger Lickin' snapped up the tracks, and the resulting Finger Lickin¹ Funk ep was such a huge success a Finger Lickin' Funk album is now under way.

Krafty and Freddie then jointly created new label Against The Grain; the sound is electric, a house of bass-heavy beats. The first single release, Krafty's Lock the Hype/Smash Your Breaks was released at the end of 2001 and the Lost Plates EP soon followed, which reached Cool Cuts and Buzz charts as well as #1 in the DJ Beats chart. Krafty compiled the December cover CD for Mixmag and one of his tracks is currently being used on a Coca Cola TV advertising campaign.

On the remix front Krafty has just reworked Africa Bambaata's Funky Hereos for one of breakbeats top labels Acetate Ltd. Remixes in the pipeline include Deadly Avenger, Freestylers, Mob Records, Sounds of Vancouver and Disco Assassins. He has also just written some music for a new Playstation 2 game, Rollin.

His plans for the rest of the year include releases on Against the Grain and also a co-production with promoter partner Lloyd from Supercharged.

However, most of his production skills are focused on the Finger Lickin' Funk party hip hop album he is writing with talented youngster A Skills, which just oozes summertime funk. He is working with a whole host of well known artists, who shall remain a secret for now. There are plans for a 4 deck live set featuring the mixing and scratching talents of Krafty and A Skills, plus various singers, rappers and musicians. The massive single Peaches/ Tricka Technology is set for huge success on release in September this year, followed by the album in the spring.

Adsorb (UK)

Adsorb aka Adam Dowding is a DJ/Producer living in London who has been DJ’ing since the early nineties. His musical journey started off by playing at Free/Rave parties in around the South West of the UK and getting involved with a local sound system called Mumbo Jumbo. Then from attending some of the legendary free parties/festivals; Castle Morten, Chipping Sodbury, Salmon Springs and DJing with some of the cutting edge, underground sound systems at the time such as DIY and Spiral Tribe he caught the bug early, knew this was something that he wanted to take seriously and decided to pursue this as a career.

He then moved to Sheffield to set up and managed the Award winning recording studio Kenwood Studios for 6 years homing his production skills alongside in house engineer Toddla T, working with artists such as Dizzee Rascal, Jazzy Jeff, Nightmares On Wax, Cash Money and Roots Manuva. Over the last three years he has spent his time going back to his roots and has been DJing with Supercharged/Against The Grain travelling internationally and throughout the major clubs and festivals in the UK.

As resident DJ for Supercharged in Brighton he has in the past played alongside the likes of the Plump DJ's, Stanton Warriors, Drummatic Twins, Bass Kleph, Napt, Noisia, Dub Pistols, Tayo, Rogue Element and Killa Kela, DJ'd as part of the Against The Grain Showcase in the main room at Fabric Live and had an exclusive DJ mix featured twice on Annie Nightingales Radio One show as one of the best mixes of 2008 alongside Pendulum.

Skool Of Thought (UK)

Living between the UK and Australia, Skool Of Thought is the owner and label manager behind the award winning Against The Grain & SuperCharged Music record labels - home to the likes of the Freestylers, Krafty Kuts, Splitloop, Ed Solo and of course Skool Of Thought. He is the guy responsible for the enormous Groove Armada 'Superstylin' and Freestylers v Pendulum 'Painkiller' breaks remixes. He has appeared on the front cover of 3D magazine in Australia, described by IDJ magazine as 'an underrated genius' and recognized by DJ magazine as helping form the 'nu skool breaks' scene. He has produced countless breakbeat monsters over the years including Heavyweight Breaks Volumes 1 & 3, Breakspoll 3, numerous 12" singles and is currently celebrating the success of his debut artist album with Ed Solo entitled 'Random Acts Of Kindness'. To top it all off he has just launched a third label called 'Cool & Deadly' with Tayo. Phew! Time to take a lesson from Skool...

Kid Kenobi (AUS)

The TEN Tour

Kid Kenobi and MC Shureshock are currently putting together a very special show to take on the road this October - December; The Ten Tour (partnered by InTheMix).

90 mins spanning all the highlight tracks, underground favourites and moment defining tunes from 2000-today. Following an extensive digging through the archives, the AV element to the show features historical content over this time, with very special, never seen before content from the last decade.

Paying homage to the last decade of working together and rocking parties all over the globe, the Ten EP celebrates the boys history from 2000-2010 in a four track EP featuring the key musical influences that shaped yesterday and today, with a distinct edge for now and tomorrow. From jungle to house to dubstep and of course breakbeat, the Ten EP mixes dancefloor with dub in the way that only Kid Kenobi and MC Shureshock can.

Support:

Citizen.com, Flip, Deviant, Nick Thayer, Rollin Connection,Phil K, Diistortiion, Yenks, Riz1, Dstract, Snowie, Miss Max, JD, Shifty Sly, Butter Party, Youthful Implants, Protein Shake, Tahl, Llupa

$35 + BF online tickets here

http://www.moshtix.com.au/event.aspx?id=40007&ref=brown
Last edited by gaffa101 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Sat 8 - Lounge Boat Party
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

+ Rock Like This BOAT PARTY/ Strawberry fields / TRIBE NYD

CITIZEN.COM FREE music:-
http://soundcloud.com/citizen-com/
Feigan

Re: November 26th = Krafty Kuts(UK), Adsorb(UK) + SOT(UK)

Post by Feigan »

absolute crazy super great line up.

Will get down for this party party!!

When was the Krafty Kuts bio written?
FliP

Post by FliP »

lol.. yeah, looks a little old.. :book:
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

fook yeh! :retzielikes: :joy:
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

youthful_implants wrote:fook yeh! :retzielikes: :joy:
Double Fook Yeah.

FOOKYEAH!
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Yeah looks rather old to me... also the Kid Kenobi one, when was that written?
"Australian shores, now widely regarded as the home of the most booming breaks scene in the world."
Even Kid Kenobi produces and plays dubstep now!

:teefnilly:
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm surprised you guys even read that tbh
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Me too actually.
...................................................................................................................................................
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I want to home my skills too!
Don't hate me for house
mrj

Post by mrj »

gaffa101 wrote: Krafty Kuts was born, aged 12.
quite an achievement. i was born aged 0.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

^^^^ Thats how much of a child prodigy he was.. He was born able pick up records, read and to DJ straight away!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

deviant

Post by deviant »

JAMESSSS wrote:I want to home my skills too!
where does it say that?
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Despite the crappy bio's, this lineup looks like a serious trip down memory lane... I'm thinking I might be keen
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

thinking....... what do you mean thinking....

this is ganna be mental..
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

I like thinking
deviant

Post by deviant »

stop thinking and start doing...

the light is green
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

:D
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

No still thinking :lol:
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

I just thought I was thinking.
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Seriously though something tells me there was something else on that night I wanted to go to... So that's why I'm thinking.

Dancing to breaks last weekend at Last Bass Party was pretty fucking fun though. hmmm
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Yeah especially at the end of the night when Deviant and I played. Old skool breaks all pre-2005.. Was good fun dusting off the old records.

And i imagine Krafty will go old skool on our arses too!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

As long as he doesn't play the kind of set he played last time I saw him... Absolute trash! Playing to the crowd though I guess... It was a MoS party somewhere in Hawthorn (circa 2001)
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

last time i saw him a few years back at the prince he smashed it
yes prob playing to the crowd somewhat, bit of cheese but he's got the maaddd skillz!
one of the best dj sets ive ever seen/heard
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Plus I think that gigat QBH was aFuture gig so i was defiantly more mainstream.. But if you check out this.....

View this on Soundcloud

I think it will give you a better idea of what to expect!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Kaiproject: That's good to know...

Thanks gaffa for the mix... Downloading now.
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

Kid Kenobi will be playing with MC Shureshock as part of the 'TEN' tour

The TEN Tour

Kid Kenobi and MC Shureshock are currently putting together a very special show to take on the road this October - December; The Ten Tour (partnered by InTheMix).

90 mins spanning all the highlight tracks, underground favourites and moment defining tunes from 2000-today. Following an extensive digging through the archives, the AV element to the show features historical content over this time, with very special, never seen before content from the last decade.

Paying homage to the last decade of working together and rocking parties all over the globe, the Ten EP celebrates the boys history from 2000-2010 in a four track EP featuring the key musical influences that shaped yesterday and today, with a distinct edge for now and tomorrow. From jungle to house to dubstep and of course breakbeat, the Ten EP mixes dancefloor with dub in the way that only Kid Kenobi and MC Shureshock can.

Here is a recent mix for you

http://www.archeryclub.net.au/agency/ne ... id-Kenobi/
Rock Like This in-conjunction with Darkbeat's 9th Birthday presents:

FREESTYLERS (UK)

GOOD FRIDAY 6th APRIL - BOAT PARTY!!

Check it http://www.billboardthevenue.com.au/GigView.aspx?id=417
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

I can't hear Shureshocks name without thinking of that hilarious gig review from ITM years ago :lol: Is there still a copy of that anywhere? It was absolute gold!
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

I must have missed that?
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

BASSLINE!
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

I've had a hunt around but couldn't find it anywhere... From what I remember it was published and then removed due to a complaint from the promoter. Hilarious article so that's a damn shame. Sorry gaffa!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Krafty Kuts is a total and utter legend. I dont enjoy his tunes now as much as before, but god dam that guy could give a LOAD of people a lesson in djing. He knows exactly how to do. :D

That review was SO gold, very very funny, but pretty harsh on Shureshock. I like him, he has brilliant enthusiasm still, after this long. Big ups to em both imo. I might even leave the house and come to this, that Kenobi tour has gotten me interested. Hold the phones, lmb might be coming out! :shock: 8)
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Glad someone else remembers... Yeah it was a bit harsh (though I personally have never been a fan of Shureshock) - You've made me feel bad for laughing so much now! :smt003
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

gaffa101 wrote:Plus I think that gigat QBH was aFuture gig so i was defiantly more mainstream.. But if you check out this.....

View this on Soundcloud

I think it will give you a better idea of what to expect!!
Flash Gordon!

ah ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

awesome.

this is getting me through a late night at work!!
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Just thought id give listening to soundcloud a try at work, expecting the block. NO BLOCK!!! fucking RIPPER, I can listen to other stuff at work!!

Cheers Citizen :smt003

I remember a QBH gig promoting the Future Breaks Cd. Dam that was a good gig..... i think that might be one before the recent one. :oldlady:

Hey Mano, dont feel bad!! you can laugh if you like.... ive had some good times with both those guys, so am a little bias i guess. :D
manofunreal

Post by manofunreal »

Haha yeah fair enough... I used to love Kenobi too back in the day!
FliP

Post by FliP »

View this on Soundcloud

another fresh mix from Krafty..
Krafty Kuts - Old To The New Vol 2 - June 2010 DJ Mix

starts off old school funky hiphop.. ver nice :)
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

Thats a massve mix!!!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

Feigan

Post by Feigan »

It is awesome rave.

I was chair dancing in the office yesterday

awesome.
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

i think i went to that krafty gig with karols we stood at the back stroking our beards hahahha
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

Kid Kenobi will be playing with MC Shureshock as part of the 'TEN' tour

The TEN Tour

FREESTYLERS (UK)

Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

same o wrote:i think i went to that krafty gig with karols we stood at the back stroking our beards hahahha
You had a beard back then?
gaffa101

Post by gaffa101 »

^ Ha ha.. I think i was down the back on the floor in a fetal position..
Candy and sweeets just arnt a tasty anymore!
Oct
Lounge every Thursday
Sat 1 - Bimbos
Fri 14 - Dropping Phat
Sat 15 - Bimbos
Sat 22 - Whats Doing?

FliP

Post by FliP »

gonna be a banger... :slayer:

time biding...
cuznmatt

Post by cuznmatt »

w00t!!!

crew is well hyped. industries in hand.
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

didn't krafty kuts just play a mix cd last time or something?
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

^^ Dont all djs just play off mix cds???

FREESTYLERS (UK)

ravejet

Post by ravejet »

how else are they supposed to fuck dj moles while theyre playing??
armydawg1292 listen MR. I Play halo and i know what a good explosion looks like and that was expert!
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

:P