Current music marketing methods - your opinions.

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Mysty

Re: Current music marketing methods - your opinions.

Post by Mysty »

FRAKSHA... wrote:...

drink specials are always a winner, but then you get things like heavy innnit at the weekend with horrendous prices, but its still jammed...
!
Yep although Heavy Innit did start off downstairs at Laundry with $1 pots beer for first hour...

The amount of times Leelee & I would say "nope not going out this weekend, much too broke" .. which would change to "oh let's go have few $1 drinks"..which would turn into a night of :shhmaashed:

Such good times :D
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

More people should drop the popcorn song in the middle of a set :P
Kitty not talking ABOUT miss libs talking about the big fuck off building full of alcoholics next door to it. using it as an example though not meaning to single you out with that one. DOn't need security pass to go stick flyers into a lift :D trust me on that one.

What I'm meaning by it though is finding out where places like that are in the cbd bits of research and doing something targeted at them, only need a few people to find out and it spreads very quickly. Others will go yeah alright we'll try something new check this thing out blah blah blah rah rah rah like we've all said word of mouth is brilliant.

Just randomly too on the whole A0 posters, stupid development site between victoria and queensberry street on swanston has put up stupid fucking banners on the fucking wall over the top of the poster there....
Those poster have been there for fucking yonks! (well new ones obviously not the exact same ones rotation does happen)
Now suddenly they've decided using half that massive span of wall isn't enough and they must have entire wall for people will q scanners to scan and see if they want to live there...
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Some of our guys have played the popcorn song and other songs much more bizzare at their other gigs. The crowd loves it.

You know what they do now for A0 poster bandits? The little, I don't know what they're called. The make shift fence board things that people post them on, they put like, metal frams on them on the inside with a mesh so you can't stick it to them.

Also, like in Northcote, they have these burgundy painted Street Light pole things around High St that we avoid like the plague because they just rip shit down because the shop owners crack the sads and I've seen little things around saying how they hate it, its bad for business or something. Such Nazi's in Northcote.

Its amazing how, even insignificant things like a scrummy temporary fence which will be ripped down at the end of the project and probably thrown away in a tip is off limits now. Its what makes everything so frustrating. You just aren't able to do what you used to be able to do and yet you somehow have to do more to keep up with the competition.
deviant

Post by deviant »

HearNoEvil wrote:Also, like in Northcote, they have these burgundy painted Street Light pole things around High St that we avoid like the plague because they just rip shit down because the shop owners crack the sads and I've seen little things around saying how they hate it, its bad for business or something. Such Nazi's in Northcote.
Darebin council are very quick to fine venues and promoters for illegal posters too :(
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Sociopathic wrote:More people should drop the popcorn song in the middle of a set :P
Kitty not talking ABOUT miss libs talking about the big fuck off building full of alcoholics next door to it. using it as an example though not meaning to single you out with that one. DOn't need security pass to go stick flyers into a lift :D trust me on that one.
eurgh popcorn song.

and riiight, i get you now. the thing is, tbh I dont want all those alcoholics coming to our gigs all the time, they are here all week, and take advantage of the meal specials we have on and happy hour friday, which is for them mainly, but im trying to reach a demographic of new people who are actually interested in the music, and honestly, most of those employees dont fit into that category. (not that im sterotyping)

todays rant is this - promoters who link to an event on EVERY fucking persons page, which means my entire feed is full of posts about the same gig, for every friend we have in common. (which for us promoters is often a lot)
your gonna get yourself deleted son!
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Deviant: I think Darebin just employs someone to rip them down. We avoid that area now. Its sad. One of our members (Cos we are, a 3some of music monkeys. The three stooges of music maybe.) one has lived in that area all his life.

There should be a rule about that. Like, if you're local to the are you should be able to post what ever the fuck you want on a street pole.

Ghetto Kitty, can I ask what music you guys play out of curiosity? Cos you said you wanted to get people who are into the music, may I ask what kind of music?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

No, many councils fine for posters.
Deviant should know, he works for council!

I book a venue that plays all kinds of music.
deviant

Post by deviant »

funnily enough..... we don't

we have the power to, but a fine hasn't been issued for a poster for over 6 years. A club I work for did however get a fine from Darebin a few years back (-2007 I think)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

we got one from Stonnington the other day, and a whopping $1200 one for one single poster last year from Yarra City council.

fucked. especially when its promoters and not the venue who puts them up.
kiss & tell

Post by kiss & tell »

if you were to use a company to do your distro, wouldn't they legally be the ones to get fined for bill postering?
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Ghetto Kitty: Thats cool. From how you've described it though it feels like a place I'd avoid. Even if its all kinds of music which is kinda the same deal we're all about, you've kinda portrayed it badly. No offence. Just, you make it come across as a little bit, too much about the alcahol. Too much alcahol is never fun.

Deviant: It makes me scared to put posters up but what else can you do to reach people outside of either the clubbing demographic as a whole or more specifically, outside your Facebook group?
Can I ask what council you work for? I'd love to discuss heaps of issues with you surrounding things like this.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

gareth - the fines were from posters placed by promoters, because the poster companies pay rental on most or all of the spots they put up posters. ;)

hearnoevil - dudes you have no idea, sorry. Being promoters from Bendigo I can understand how you might think all venues revolve around alcohol. This venue's philosophy is not all about the alcohol sales at all, I have no idea where you got that from. but I do need to make money on the bar with the events I put on, that's business.

check the website, and don't judge what you obviously have no idea about.

http://www.misslibertine.com.au

and here's some upcoming events from this forum alone

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... 13&t=21529

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... 13&t=21464

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... 13&t=21656

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... 13&t=21481

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... 13&t=21567

:roll:
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Ghetto Kitty. Theres 3 of us. We aren't ALL from Bendigo.
I thought you said something about trying to get people in for the music is all? Just kinda sounded as if the people coming don't appreciate the music you have and are just wanting to get drunk.

Our numbers are no where near as good as yours, but they do drink heaps. They are good for the size of the venue aswell. They maintain themselves very respectfully. They ARE there for the music, but, I think there comes a point where you gotta say "fuck the music" and let go of all this "we're a house club" or a Techno club or what ever and just play whats gonna make people jump around all night and have them leaving really happy.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

did you check out any of the links?
still have no idea where you got all this from.

:bored:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

HearNoEvil wrote:They ARE there for the music, but, I think there comes a point where you gotta say "fuck the music" and let go of all this "we're a house club" or a Techno club or what ever and just play whats gonna make people jump around all night and have them leaving really happy.
that's your choice. do you draw the line at any point - if people only wanted britney, would you play that just to make them jump around and feel happy?

there's a difference between offering advice, and telling people how to run their shit.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ghetto kitty wrote:Being promoters from Bendigo I can understand how you might think all venues revolve around alcohol.
i'm hurt.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

Dan, one of your Bendigo nights i bet...draw them in with the promise of cheap drinks and pop music eh...
We thought the biggest beer garden in Bendigo deserved some TLC and have brought some modern design to Central Victoria! With plenty of new chill out areas for you and your crew... kick back...relax... and experience this very cool social atmosphere

Its BAAAAACK!!!! The JAGER TRAIN...departing every Thursday night at Midnight...” ALL ABOARD” for your $1 JAGERS!!!
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

haha the universal is an absolute shithole, bare trashy skanks
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Didn't you say you had the drunks next door in every week? And that you were trying to reach a new demographic?

Relax I'm not judging you. If anything your judging us because SOME of us are from Bendigo. We live down here and have for years now. Some of us all of our lives. I just don't understand your choice of words. I looked at the links and well, good for you. You look like you do great art contemporary art work and are fantastic at posting it on a forum.

Its not my kind of thing nor the kind of thing for the people whom we invite to our gigs, but hey if its working for you great. As I said, I just didn't understand your choice in words because you came across as though you weren't happy with crowd you have. As if they don't appreciate the music there.

Fooishbear: I get that arguement from everyone. Theres no black or white answer, you just always have to find the colours that bring out the best in people. I wasn't trying to tell her how to run her show, I was telling her how I would run mine. However, we are very selective of who we let in. Not on dress codes or anything but, they wouldn't request Britney. And truth be told if they did, they'd obviously be doing it for a piss take and if we played it we'd all have a laugh and have enjoyed ourselves that little more for it. Who cares if the 'club' scene doesn't take us seriously? We're there to have fun and to welcome in anyone who wants to be apart of that fun. We're not so sour as to take a party seriously to the point where we can't have a laugh. Music at parties is to be enjoyed not analysed. If you want to analyse it, go to school. Sit and have a teacher tell you all about pop culture of the 21st century and how contemporary dance music found itself in the spot light thanks to Tiesto and Nova Fm.

We're talking about promoting parties here. If you want a chin stroker conference, advertise it as one.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I think the chin stroker conference was actually at Roxannes a few weeks back.
deviant

Post by deviant »

:clap: werd D :lol:
fooishbar wrote:bare trashy skanks
sign me up!
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

... If your so bored why dont you try stroking your chin?
flippo

Post by flippo »

HearNoEvil wrote:
Fooishbear

The 'Too Much' lovechild?!? :o
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

haha Im sorry Im not wearing my glasses.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

flippo wrote:
HearNoEvil wrote:
Fooishbear

The 'Too Much' lovechild?!? :o
that'd be an odd-looking kid haha
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

fooishbarebuffyagtemetho
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

quick question for the promoters on here...

how much would you or have you paid for a video showreel. Like 2/3/5 minutes or on a loop etc.

1) for promoting the event before the fact (like the current bass jump one or freaky beats one)

2) for footage of the event, the djs, the logo etc, for use at the event?
deviant

Post by deviant »

dunno mate... off the top of my head I'd say $1000?

depends on what, who, how etc.. budget of the party. If you have $3K to spend on whatever, might be a good option. Smaller gigs, not so much.

word of mouth is king... boat party nearly sold out... no $$ on advertising whatsoever. :mrgreen:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

that sounds like a lot tbh. would you spend that music for one of your gigs?
and what if you provided logos and footage and just wanted someone to edit together something snazzy?

but yes, WOM is king, we have established that from three pages of thread hahaha

a boat party is a boat party though dan, it has the WOW factor.

(note- WOM is different to WOW)

;)
deviant

Post by deviant »

it will have WOM WOM WOM WOM WOM factor too
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

ghetto kitty wrote:quick question for the promoters on here...

how much would you or have you paid for a video showreel. Like 2/3/5 minutes or on a loop etc.

1) for promoting the event before the fact (like the current bass jump one or freaky beats one)

Nil. We do it all ourselves. We forked out and brought all our own shit, now we can take our show anywhere. With sound and visual. We don't even really need a venue, we have stands and everything to erect the shows so, yeah.

2-5 mins show real tho, thats a bit, cheap. Just download movies you want, do them on WINDOWS movie editor, burn them to a DVD and have it play through a projector.

Thats my opinion though. Bare in mind, we have a really unique VJ show at all of our gigs because, its what our gig is about. Image and Audio. But our show, is, fucking, central to the gig thats why its so unique. The way we do it is way beyond Dj logos and stuff like that. We do do the logos and stuff, but not for our own gig. When we're hired to bring our show to other gigs we'll design up fancy names in Photoshop for their Djs and incorporate them into our show and stuff.
nic

Post by nic »

Thats my opinion though. Bare in mind, we have a really unique VJ show at all of our gigs because, its what our gig is about. Image and Audio. But our show, is, fucking, central to the gig thats why its so unique
When we're hired to bring our show to other gigs we'll design up fancy names in Photoshop for their Djs and incorporate them into our show and stuff.
Just download movies you want, do them on WINDOWS movie editor, burn them to a DVD and have it play through a projector
yep.
:lol:

cool raev

naked age is this you?
aroes

Post by aroes »

lolington bare
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

hahaha Yes and no. There is 3 of us here and he recomended we come here to promote anything dub/breaks/ dnb related but he doesn't want anything to do with it. We don't let him near any forums. He signs us up and shit and says "Tell them we're hosting a party but keep me out of it", he organises equipment, some of the guest Dj's, the bulk of the VJ show, the venues, the concepts etc. Don't worry, we knew you hated him before we came here.
aroes

Post by aroes »

sleuth nic solves the case

accountancy skills b2b private eye

thread finally delivers
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

yeah, i did have my suspicions
HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

haha we had the word TRIO in our signature from almost since we came here. We never said who was IN that trio.

We were getting Jordz to do a breaks set at our gig on Grand Final night. Age wanted DnB/Breaks to be part of the show so he recommended we post here. Initially he posted the thread for the first gig I think.

He's involved in a few things that he keeps his name off these days. He knows his reputation has been somewhat soiled by the online community but its something we laugh about. We'll say "We need to promote on the net, lets try this forum" he'll say "Nah sorry I'm banned from that one aswell". He has his value though.
nic

Post by nic »

no hate for nakedage imo - he is totes funnie and 'enthusiastic'

im interested in seeing some of your other ideas for raevs though?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

windows movie editor has some pretty cool fx
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
phonetics

Post by phonetics »

ghetto kitty wrote:alex phonetics - i find your point interesting, because hand hand to hand promotions are currently the MOST effective way for pretty much all gigs at Libertine. Maybe your flyers arent exciting enough, maybe you are giving them to people at the wrong moments (like as they walk out of a gig trashed) but for the money you spend on them, i feel they are very effective.
dunno, but agree that A0's are too expensive for what they do.
You may be right, it is all about timing I guess. Don't get me wrong I have gotten my girl and her friends to give them out at gigs etc with great success, I think I just suck at it haha...
REST-LESS Friday October 14 MERCAT BASEMENT

View this on Soundcloud

HearNoEvil

Post by HearNoEvil »

Nic: He told us about all his forum problems and how he hates them and why. Sometimes he's a bit of a bitch but if you know him you get a fuller picture. He's not a bad guy.

He is just playing gigs right now as far as I know. The Psy Trance scene has approached him recently but he doesn't use the name Naked Age. He only tells the promoters what name to put on the promotions then he asks us and his friends if they want to come to a gig on a certain night to see him play and thats it. I don't know if he's organising any other gigs other than our one but he's involved with a record label thats starting up now aswell. His sett on Saturday was allright.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i've never been approached by a scene before
nic

Post by nic »

Rhythmik

Post by Rhythmik »

ghetto kitty wrote:quick question for the promoters on here...

I can't tell you what I'd pay but I can tell you what I'd charge. Around $300 for a solid professional video :-)

Also thanks for your posts Bo, I've actually found yours the most informative in this thread.

My 2 cents is I think advertising should be as much as an art as the party. Keep it creative. If your parties aren't creative, well.... then i'm not interested in em lol. But I think ideally all elements of advertising should not only be artistic, but also reflect the artistic character of your crew and the party, and give people an insight into the world your inviting them too :-)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:lol: @ Naked Age. That explains a LOT. Now, moving on.....

rhythmik - did you make the recent one for freaky beats? That's one im using as an example of what we are looking for. as well as the bass jump one, because both videos are totally different, yet relevant to the crews they promote to!

Glad you have found my posts informative, as I said, we got nothing to lose by being honest with each other. none of us are reinventing the wheel here, and there is enough punters in this city to go round imho.

;)