flux pavilion - bass cannon

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
fooishbar

flux pavilion - bass cannon

Post by fooishbar »

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

llllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

fucksake

:tard:
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
fooishbar

Re: flux pavilion - bass cannon

Post by fooishbar »

the creative process behind these tunes must be pretty comic

'yeah heavy tune bruv, this is even more pointlessly offensive than the last one'
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

fooishbar wrote:the creative process behind these tunes must be pretty comic
....probably quite a lot of fun too. :)
Last edited by youthful_implants on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

lmao. im trying not to get into an argument in the dubstep thread on ocau cos all those mofos love this stuff. especially skrillex and the like.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
youthful_implants

I dont like it. :retzienolike:
Strontium Music

nic

Post by nic »

isnt too much bringing flux pav and dr P to melb tho....

:?:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

haha shut up you

ps: back on the weekend, pubtime
David Bass

Post by David Bass »

i love the bit that goes rrrreeeeeeeeeerroooo
cammo

Post by cammo »

reminds me of going to a dentist. painful
youthful_implants

reminds me of these guys...

Strontium Music

FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

lol, all you grumpy fuckers do is moan i swear. While not a huge fan of the track, i have no idea why these things evoke so much anger and emotion out of you. I dislike the majority of music i hear at events/radio etc but each to their own. On another note Flux is clearly a very talented producer and is just giving the kids what they want and making some cash while he can, fair play to him, he's not under any delusion songs like this are cutting edge music or nothing

Fooish, wheres my garms you swine
youthful_implants

FRAKSHA... wrote:lol, all you grumpy fuckers do is moan i swear. While not a huge fan of the track, i have no idea why these things evoke so much anger and emotion out of you. I dislike the majority of music i hear at events/radio etc but each to their own. On another note Flux is clearly a very talented producer and is just giving the kids what they want and making some cash while he can, fair play to him, he's not under any delusion songs like this are cutting edge music or nothing

Fooish, wheres my garms you swine
haha its true. kids have been making music that adults dont like since, well since I dont know... this is no different. its kind of like fluro punk.
Strontium Music

Direkt

Post by Direkt »

FRAKSHA... wrote:its like being a Wu Tang fan and moaning about Soulja Boy in my opinion.
So, what you're saying is... it's like having good taste and having sound judgement? :wink:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

youthful_implants wrote:reminds me of these guys...

Gold. Except for the fact that they paint "dub" with a dubstep brush.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

what about this? http://on.fb.me/feon7L

korn & skrillex colab. that's right. korn.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
youthful_implants

huge wrote:what about this? http://on.fb.me/feon7L

korn & skrillex colab. that's right. korn.
thats heavy......metal? :lol:
Strontium Music

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

This sounds like any number of dubstep tracks posted around here about two years ago!

Have we moved on?
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

I was just thinking the same james....
youthful_implants

I dunno man, who says music needs to keep re-inventing itself to be any good? A good tune is still a good tune, surely?
Strontium Music

JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

A good tune is one which you like.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

youthful_implants wrote:I dunno man, who says music needs to keep re-inventing itself to be any good? A good tune is still a good tune, surely?
I wasn't refering to that... mainly just that offensive heavy dubstep (brostep) is nothing "new"
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

JAMESSSS wrote:A good tune is one which you like.
:retzielikes:
youthful_implants

deviant wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:I dunno man, who says music needs to keep re-inventing itself to be any good? A good tune is still a good tune, surely?
I wasn't refering to that... mainly just that offensive heavy dubstep (brostep) is nothing "new"
true dat!
Strontium Music

Smile on Impact

Post by Smile on Impact »

treble cannon tbh
Naise

Post by Naise »

WOW I didnt realise how bad sounds. Its like NOISY SCREECHING LOUD BAD HEAVY METAL..
To me its more like that, than dubstep. Hell i even hear there are mosh pits at BA these days with dudes taking their shirts off. HOT

I understand that genres change and evolve with time, but perhaps this needs its own label on fliers, so not to confuse party goes... "Future Chainsaw" perhaps??

Drugs must be pretty dam good these days if this is what the kids are wanting.

Lunice - Too Much! relaunch - Friday 21st October @ Laundry
Facon Sandwich - Wednesday fortnightly @ Workshop
Too Little - Friday fortnightly @ E55

http://soundcloud.com/naise
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

FRAKSHA... wrote:Fooish, wheres my garms you swine
i get back pon sunday, lemme check for the receipt and go yell at royal mail on monday.

and yeah was just having a whine ... if that's what the kids want to rave to then more power to them really. as long as they're having fun. definitely not for me tho haha.

:boddika:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Naise wrote:I understand that genres change and evolve with time, but perhaps this needs its own label on fliers, so not to confuse party goes... "Future Chainsaw" perhaps??
haaaaaaaaaa

:truedat:
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

FRAKSHA... wrote:lol, all you grumpy fuckers do is moan i swear. While not a huge fan of the track, i have no idea why these things evoke so much anger and emotion out of you. I dislike the majority of music i hear at events/radio etc but each to their own. On another note Flux is clearly a very talented producer and is just giving the kids what they want and making some cash while he can, fair play to him, he's not under any delusion songs like this are cutting edge music or nothing
I am going to say this completely from the heart and why this music evokes so much negative emotion for me and i suspect allot of other people. This may offend some, but it is how I feel.

As someone who has been involved in pushing this music from its infancy in Melbourne, it is completely heart breaking to see how this music has changed into just another genre for people to get fucked on pills and take there shirts off. The one thing that attracted me to dubstep was the fact that all you needed was a zoot and a beer and you could just close your eyes and meditate on bass weight (as cliche as that sounds it's true), in fact I went to so many gigs and didn't get wasted at all because I didn't need anything.

While bro-step has increased the popularity of the genre it has made advertising dubstep without playing bro-step impossible. It has also seen every man and his dog jump on the genre to make money. If you look at all the new promoters in Melbourne, how many of them are truly passionate about the genre? How many actually care about its longevity and aren't just jumping on it the bandwagon to make money?

I guess at the end of the day it don't matter that much as I don't seem to play that much of it anymore, but for me that is why bro-step brings out the worst in me, and why it evokes such negative emotions

:ENDRANT:
Smile on Impact

Proper scientific study.
RGLZ

Post by RGLZ »

Too scared to press play
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Surprised this thread was started with Flux Pavilion rather than Skrillex, the main douche who is producing music from his rectum these days...
Future Chainsaw!

...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

same o wrote:
I am going to say this completely from the heart and why this music evokes so much negative emotion for me and i suspect allot of other people. This may offend some, but it is how I feel.

As someone who has been involved in pushing this music from its infancy in Melbourne, it is completely heart breaking to see how this music has changed into just another genre for people to get fucked on pills and take there shirts off. The one thing that attracted me to dubstep was the fact that all you needed was a zoot and a beer and you could just close your eyes and meditate on bass weight (as cliche as that sounds it's true), in fact I went to so many gigs and didn't get wasted at all because I didn't need anything.

While bro-step has increased the popularity of the genre it has made advertising dubstep without playing bro-step impossible. It has also seen every man and his dog jump on the genre to make money. If you look at all the new promoters in Melbourne, how many of them are truly passionate about the genre? How many actually care about its longevity and aren't just jumping on it the bandwagon to make money?

I guess at the end of the day it don't matter that much as I don't seem to play that much of it anymore, but for me that is why bro-step brings out the worst in me, and why it evokes such negative emotions

:ENDRANT:
i totally hear you and understand where you're coming from Pete. Like i said, i dont necessarily like stuff like this - it has its moments - its the blanket hatred that gets me that often comes across a bit childish. Its all subjective, but the 'purists' for want of a better word can often come across a bit condascending and just dont think its needed. Anyone who knows about dubstep in Melbourne prior to the 'brostep' explosion knows who's real and who's not and who deserves respect, whos put in work and hasnt just been using it as a short term cash cow, the people who dont aint gonna listen to anyone and will have moved on with a year or so anyway. I also thikn they can co-exist without too much problems, look at hip hop and the varying styles that all come under the same banner. They'll call bloody Akon hip hop purely cos he's black and he'll sell out huge arena's over here, but then Doom will sell out the Espy like he did on the weekend and its all advertised as hip hop
it happens in every genre of music that gets popular. No one wants to work a day job so give someone the opportunity to make money doing lowest common denominator music that doesnt challenge them and most will go for it. Fuck, i'd produce for Mily Cyrus if i got enough money..

In related news, i had dinner with flux and some others in NZ a couple weeks ago and talk came up of a being approached for a Justin Bieber remix haha

End of the day i just try not to get upset by music i dont like and is not for me, it just doesnt make sense to me...but im a hypocrite and will do exactly that anyway, so make sure you call me out when i do :)

edit - Pete, i like that your post doesnt reference the actual sound of the music but rather the different crowds, atmosphere's etc. It makes total sense and your points are valid rather than just calling the music shit when its just not to your taste
Smile on Impact

same o wrote:
As someone who has been involved in pushing this music from its infancy in Melbourne, it is completely heart breaking to see how this music has changed into just another genre for people to get fucked on pills and take there shirts off.

sucked in.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

pete & oli are pretty much on point ... it's really not my thing, more power to people who make/listen to it and enjoy it, at least they're having a good time and it keeps them off the streets or whatever.

what shits me off tho is that it's taken over dubstep to the extent that you can barely do anything else at 140bpm these days, and that shit bandwagon promoters who don't give a flying fuck are starting to run the entire genre in melbourne into the ground. saturate the city with the lowest common denominator of one single sound, getting harder/faster/filthier all the time. don't bother spending any time trying to make sure it'll be good for a couple of years time - by that stage the sound will be at a complete dead end anyway and they'll find another genre to run into the ground. oh well, in the meantime at least you've filled the club and your pockets.

seems to be exactly what happened to dnb/breaks, right down to the same venue. ha.

so yeah, normally i'd ignore the music and just live and let live but it pretty much seems to sum up all that's wrong with dubstep and all that's going to make sure it's dead in a couple of years.

(to be clear, i'm not talking about heavy innit here and everyone who knows me knows that's the case.)

(ps: i'd have to shave my beard off if i wasn't grumpy and jaded, all part of the look yo.)
jaded

Post by jaded »

I think I could make some friends in this thread!... Hai Guys :wave:
Worn out; wearied:exhausted, indifferent
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

jaded wrote:I think I could make some friends in this thread!... Hai Guys :wave:
note: the owner of this alias totally hearts the tearout :teef:
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

I see where u guys are coming from. I just wonder if all the people that are loving brostep would even like the deeper and classic and future incarnations side of dubstep anyway. The main things that always seem to be popular in music are pretty basic and and not really that challenging. It's from this that some people dig further and find what's under the surface. Most big raves are about going nuts and getting wasted and it's always been like that as far as I remember. It was interesting to see how many people were at colc to see bassnectar vs dmz. For the couple of years that bass high was running there was never heaps of people coming down, I just don't think Melbourne is big enough to have the same kind of support for the more underground styles of electronic music that bigger city's like London or Berlin etc have. I would love to see a fertile ground for new styles of music to begin in this city instead of always importing genres and styles from other countries. But it just seems too small for that and there just isn't the support and interest that's needed.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

yeah, i agree.
nic

Post by nic »

what is melbounres main brostep party these days?
is it those tW1sT3d manchildern?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

fooishbar wrote:seems to be exactly what happened to dnb/breaks, right down to the same venue. ha.
I don't think dnb's problem was this it just focused on "getting harder/faster/filthier all the time"... there were a few parties who specialised in that sort of stuff, but I don't recall every dnb party just getting harder/faster/filthier. I think the downfall of both genres was a culmination in a few factors... lack in quality tunes, cross-over appeal diluting and confusing the "scene" - as well as a lot of crews moved from their spiritual homes... sounds kinda wanky, but...

Just Rite - was never the same when it was forced out of Scubar
Fractured - was never the same when it moved from Seven
Beats Working - was never the same when it moved from Laundry

...just a few examples.
FRAKSHA...

Post by FRAKSHA... »

@livewire, yeah i agree with that. I think it would help if we had more of a scene of people actually making music as well rather than just dj'ing. I know a lof of people are making music in their bedrooms and stuff, but for a large extent it doesnt seem to go much beyond that, aside from a few exceptions

but also to add, yeah its easy for me to say what ive said but ive never had the love for dubstep that i have for grime maybe, or that Dan and Pete had (have) for it so i dont feel the same loss for want of a better word. I'm sure if we suddenly saw an influx of candy coated grime nights with Corey Worthington mc's id have a few things to say about it :)
deviant

Post by deviant »

View this on Soundcloud

:tard: :puke:

tbh I'm a fan of tearout (breaks/DnB/dubstep/fidget etc)...

but you still gotta have...

a) good musical ideas (ie: not just heavy sound only)
b) good form and sections
c) good production values
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

FRAKSHA... wrote:but also to add, yeah its easy for me to say what ive said but ive never had the love for dubstep that i have for grime maybe, or that Dan and Pete had (have) for it so i dont feel the same loss for want of a better word. I'm sure if we suddenly saw an influx of candy coated grime nights with Corey Worthington mc's id have a few things to say about it :)
hahaha, i'd fly back to see that! :retzielikes:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

deviant wrote:tbh I'm a fan of tearout (breaks/DnB/dubstep/fidget etc)...

but you still gotta have...

a) good musical ideas (ie: not just heavy sound only)
b) good form and sections
c) good production values
i never thought we'd agree on tearout dan, but here we are!
youthful_implants

I think embrace the range. Any dj that plays music with no dynamic contrast won't last long. Thd kids who are loving the tear out now will move on, their taste will evolve. Hopefully there will be somewhere to go to hear something a bit more grown up with a bit more depth when that happens. Scenes have always fragmented with underground music it's just the nature of the beast. I personally like some tear out because I like angry music but I like contrast too, and without it things are guaranteed to get stale pretty quickly. When music becomes a competition to be the hardest, or grimiest, or turns into some kind of technological race - it always suffers and it always fails. This is not really that different to the creative morass that was tech step drum and bass until liquid blew up.
youthful_implants

Lol fooishbar already said that.
Last edited by youthful_implants on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

blackdown wrote:Here's the thing right: if you want someone to rip the arse off it from the get go, go see someone else. Our thinking is twofold. Firstly, without the mellow, there’s no hard. Without the gentle, there’s no hectic. Without the quiet there’s no rowdy. Our sets build, because we don’t want to end up in some harder/faster contest that’ll lead dubstep into some 150bpm, zone-of-fruitless intensification (© Simon Reynolds) tear-out-competition that deadout genres like d&b now find themselves in.
of course, dnb has improved heaps since then, but still.
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

heh fluro coloured Corey Worthington Skiphop Grime MCs would be a classic.

YI has a good point that DJs that don't have variety and forward thinking selection will eventually become irrelevant. In a positive sense it is the DJs that try and drop a decent amount of challenging tracks in their predominately brostep/popular dubstep sets, while keeping the crowd going that will expand the sound. People do seem to love surprises and variety if it's done well, as the whole maddecent/Diplo thing has proved. With a bit of sleight of hand by some good DJs, producers and promoters, we could see people discovering new music and becoming passionate about the actual music as opposed to just a good night out getting smashed.
On the production front there is no doubt producers that take the tearout sound and do something good with it, and this will help progress things too. I guess the thing is that heavy dubstep instantly captures your attention as it's abrasive, upfront and in some ways futuristic in terms of production (Datsik, Excision Noisia etc). Things like what Loefah is playing these days requires some deeper and more informed listening to get it (tbh it actually took me a few listens), while DMZ are coming from a totally state of mind and sound palette.
David Bass

Post by David Bass »

fooishbar wrote:seems to be exactly what happened to dnb/breaks, right down to the same venue. ha.