Dub FKN Step - Melbourne Dubstep Event.

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
nic

Re: Dub FKN Step - Melbourne Dubstep Event.

Post by nic »

first post on second page
you cant pay for this kind of promom
Lilley

Post by Lilley »

Thank you all for the constructive criticism. But I am not put off.
I did rush the poster I know but I had limited time and my photoshop was playing up so I had to use Microsoft Word. So sorry. I realise this poster is missing the running times and have since amended it. The event will run from 8:30pm - 5:00am.

We don't believe the pricing is too much. The average guest list price for a club in the city is about $12. $15 if not on a list.
There is more than one guest list running, the purpose of using a name at the door is to monitor how many people each promoter brings in.

Tommy Dollars has played at venues such as Bang, Next, Tramp & Roxanne Parlour.
He is wanting to step away from the mainstream that is Next & Bang and play what he loves.
His influences include artists such as: Doctor P, NT89, Mustard Pimp, The Proxy, Mr. Oizo, Fake Blood, Designer Drugs, Boys Noize, D.I.M, Rusko, Chase & Status, DCUP, Skrillex and Erol Alkan.
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

Lilley wrote: His influences include artists such as: Doctor P, NT89, Mustard Pimp, The Proxy, Mr. Oizo, Fake Blood, Designer Drugs, Boys Noize, D.I.M, Rusko, Chase & Status, DCUP, Skrillex and Erol Alkan.
nic

Post by nic »

Lilley wrote: His influences include artists such as:

Doctor P - gash hi pitched deaf inducing suicide car alarm music to die for

NT89 - no idea but 90% sure gashment

Mustard Pimp - awful name 99% gash

The Proxy - gash

Mr. Oizo - was good 15 years ago etc when i was young

Fake Blood - fidget is dead

Designer Drugs - wwack

Boys Noize - french frog eating noisey rubbish

Rusko - brostep father figure

Chase & Status - lol

DCUP - wack

Skrillex - horrendous emo

Erol Alkan - no idea - 96% gash
seems like a grate varied orginal bunch of producers
love it
cant wait

:brohugs:

(poster is bAnG3n btw - not bad for WORD imo!)
Raider

Post by Raider »

no one cares what you think nic, got nothing nice to say then say nothing you have 10000+ posts on this forum and I haven't seen one worth reading yet. That's pretty inefficient.
Why did the elephant get lost in the jungle?
CAUSE THE JUNGLE IS MASSIVE!

http://facebook.com/RaiderDNB
nic

Post by nic »

r u srs bro? im not trying to to maek sense

lets have a hug and cut the negs k ?
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

nic wrote: cut the negs k ?
:lol:

sometimes negs are necessary.
i don't think this is the right forum to be (attempting) to promo such a gig as the OP should've worked out by now from all the responses. hence why nic's previous analogy of the fully sick hardkandy threads/gigs is quite apt.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
David Bass

Post by David Bass »

"Bro Fkn Step" tbh
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

uurgh. some (actually HEAPS) of people like skrillex and all that horrible stuff. i mean he sold out two shows in some stupid short time. you can all get angry and i understand why you do after being in the scene for so long, then a bunch of whipper snappers come along promoting the latest sounds that we're all too old to like and they're too young to know the musics roots.

im sure they will get a whole bunch of youngens to this gig and have a great time.

:editfairy:
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

easy on the hating yo. :brohugs:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

I like Skrillex. I just wouldn't really describe it as dubstep, its more like french electro really (like Justice, or whatever). Man is a sonic wizard though there is no doubt, amazing producer.

I really like the new album from Feed Me on Mau5trap too, its fuckin gnarly. Apparently that's Spor under a pseudonym. It's pretty close to what I was doing with the Future Perfect imprint over the last three years.

Like this, for example:

View this on Soundcloud

Anyway I think its great its taken on a life of its own, its just not got a lot of dub in it.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well i hadnt heard of this skrillex guy till really recently tbh, and i heard more about how everyone in my circles hates him rather than anything good...
but to sell out mid week gigs at the prince, and have the crowd sing along like this....is pretty wow for someone so fresh etc. ive been to gigs like this at the prince, but mainly acts that have been around a long feckin time...
perhaps half the sounds/promoters on here are purists and catering to their older crowds, but this looks to me like a mega successful gig, and if i was 10 years younger id think it was fucking awesome tbh.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

huge
old boy

Post by huge »

yer is mental. one love promoter?
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

dunno. probs.
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

wow...what an awful collection of arrogant posts.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

Kaiproject wrote:
nic wrote: cut the negs k ?
:lol:

sometimes negs are necessary.
i don't think this is the right forum to be (attempting) to promo such a gig as the OP should've worked out by now from all the responses. hence why nic's previous analogy of the fully sick hardkandy threads/gigs is quite apt.
How do you figure that? It's a dubstep party. There are a lot of people that like dubstep on this forum. So why is this the wrong forum for him to promote here?
The only problem here is people cutting down someone trying to put on a party.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

huge wrote:uurgh. some (actually HEAPS) of people like skrillex and all that horrible stuff. i mean he sold out two shows in some stupid short time. you can all get angry and i understand why you do after being in the scene for so long, then a bunch of whipper snappers come along promoting the latest sounds that we're all too old to like and they're too young to know the musics roots.

im sure they will get a whole bunch of youngens to this gig and have a great time.

:editfairy:
hmm, dunno how my post from earlier got lost but oh well. i assume they're trying to market to young tearabout hipsters rather than jaded forum nerds who may or may not live in london. i think the music's absolutely gash, but i think the music at qbh/heat/seven is generally awful too and they seem to have no problem ramming out, so.

g'luck eh.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
nic

Post by nic »

pass the k key
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

Hardy wrote: How do you figure that? It's a dubstep party.
it's *called* a dubstep party. did you not read the artist list he posted? almost 0 dubstep there. a billion other genres on the poster too
but maybe its what the teenies who'er getting into it think is dubstep. shame
David Bass wrote:"Bro Fkn Step" tbh
witty_pseudonym wrote:The only problem here is people cutting down someone trying to put on a party.
another reason why not such a good idea to promote it on here :P
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

The name is a little misleading.... I'm interested in seeing who the DnB djs are.
I'm not really into Dubstep, but I'll support anything Drum & Bass if it doesn't clash with other events....
Harz

Post by Harz »

nic wrote:
Lilley wrote: His influences include artists such as:

Doctor P - gash hi pitched deaf inducing suicide car alarm music to die for

NT89 - no idea but 90% sure gashment

Mustard Pimp - awful name 99% gash

The Proxy - gash

Mr. Oizo - was good 15 years ago etc when i was young

Fake Blood - fidget is dead

Designer Drugs - wwack

Boys Noize - french frog eating noisey rubbish

Rusko - brostep father figure

Chase & Status - lol

DCUP - wack

Skrillex - horrendous emo

Erol Alkan - no idea - 96% gash
seems like a grate varied orginal bunch of producers
love it
cant wait

(poster is bAnG3n btw - not bad for WORD imo!)
im more embarrassed at the amount of effort made to write this opinionated crap. get a life dude
nic

Post by nic »

hay bro why the hate...

lets keep it postive - and objective

(lost my cammo 3/4 pants and asics trainers on teh weeknd :( )
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

Kaiproject wrote: another reason why not such a good idea to promote it on here :P
Damning evidence right there that Melbourne Beats has dissolved into not much more than an insular parading ground of secret handshakes, petty in-jokes and point scoring bullying on anyone who dares to promote or discuss anything outside the the xenophobic wedge of forum approved music or opinion.

I am 100% sure that this was not the reason why Lucas started this site, nor the reason why the vast majority of people who have been here or who have come hear have failed to stick around.

I used to enjoy being of this community.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

great_magnet wrote:
Kaiproject wrote: another reason why not such a good idea to promote it on here :P
Damning evidence right there that Melbourne Beats has dissolved into not much more than an insular parading ground of secret handshakes, petty in-jokes and point scoring bullying on anyone who dares to promote or discuss anything outside the the xenophobic wedge of forum approved music or opinion.

I am 100% sure that this was not the reason why Lucas started this site, nor the reason why the vast majority of people who have been here or who have come hear have failed to stick around.

:scr1pt:
Cubist

Post by Cubist »

melbournegeeks.com
aroes

Post by aroes »

great_magnet wrote:

Ah c'mon mate, it's not THAT bad

I only know one or two mb.c regulars personally, but I still like wasting time on here pon the regular, even if I'm not down with the "secret handshakes" and "petty in-jokes"

Everyone knows that nic is an annoying sarcastic troller. The only people that have taken offence in this thread are people who ALREADY KNEW HE WAS AN ANNOYING SARCASTIC TROLLER. The original poster has taken it all in his stride and persisted with promoting his gig

More power to him. Hope it goes well and is the start of something ongoing and positive
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hot topic on Mb tbh.
Naise

Post by Naise »

Gash ain't so bad...
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

aroes wrote:
great_magnet wrote:

I only know one or two mb.c regulars personally, but I still like wasting time on here pon the regular, even if I'm not down with the "secret handshakes" and "petty in-jokes"

Everyone knows that nic is an annoying sarcastic troller. The only people that have taken offence in this thread are people who ALREADY KNEW HE WAS AN ANNOYING SARCASTIC TROLLER. The original poster has taken it all in his stride and persisted with promoting his gig

More power to him. Hope it goes well and is the start of something ongoing and positive
That's all well and good. I'm sure regular punters have a great time. The question is - do you want the community to evolve or devolve? You guys might understand the trolling and take it for what it is, but what about non-regulars or new members? Given the way certain new events or new posters get treated it's not exactly a welcoming or inclusive kind of environment. If you look at the last time this site had its highest level of traffic it was probably about five years ago. Coincidence? Not really.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

aroes wrote:
great_magnet wrote:

same here; i don't know that many ppl on here IRL, and i've hardly posted on here of late. great_magnet's post count is 5 times more than mine. i'm also probably one of the youngest here and i understand how hard it can be to get your music and opinion across in this (or any other) online community.

i don't really give a shit but i will say i don't understand your bitter ranting G_M. i was just saying no point posting shit on here that won't appeal to the posters here.

may aswell flood The Music forum with onelove and hardkandy events otherwise...
[melbourneBEATS??]

agrees with aroes and i'm sure his gig will go well. it all comes down to people and connections in the end innit.. regardless of how 'gash' the flyer and music may be
great_magnet
crazy diamond

Post by great_magnet »

I'm not point the finger at you directly mate.

Just think that your response was typical of the pervading border protection attitude. There was no bitterness in my rant at all, I've got nothing to be bitter about. I just think it's a shit approach to take the piss out of a promoter no matter what the genre. It's that kind of 'pick the low hanging fruit' mentality that pisses me off.
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

Ok I stopped reading half way down the second page because JESUS FUCKING CHRIST you guys really know how to turn it on when you want to don't you?

Whats surprising is that from seeing the younger crowds that are starting to make apperences at things like all city bass, hearing about how dubstep (or what ever the fuck you wanna call it) is being played at things like Bang on a Saturday night, The moshing and circle pits forming on dancefloors at all city, this event actually could pull a crowd.

The younger crowds are already used to paying stupid prices to go to clubs, most clubs do charge quite hefty door fee's just for their general nights we may not be used to it because it's never really been like that for things like DnB, Dub, Dubstep, Jungle nights but doesn't mean people don't pay that kinda money for an average club.

As shitty as some of those influence artists are they are bringing alot of younger kids into the scene, you gotta start somewhere to start listening to the music hearing something mainstream then looking around and findinng further artists is the easiest way.
We may not like it but we need to get the fuck over it and stand up the back with our hands on our chins and just deal with it.

Good luck to them doesn't hurt to try, everyone here who now promotes had to take a punt and start somewhere now didn't they.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^^ agree,

this was my first party... lol

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=2455

seems like eons ago. Flyer is amature etc etc... no-one came and crushed my soul in the thread (thanks for that)
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

nothing but support in that thread.

seems the vibe has changed in the last 6 years...

but also you did know the ppl here before posting that...
TheOperatives

Post by TheOperatives »

nice to know most of the negative comments come from people who do fuck all to aid in the growth of any scene whatsoever, and for those who are working in it, let your work speak for itself. Don't hijack their thread with your rubbish. How can you make an opinion stick without having been there, when it has not happened yet? Maybe it's not your thing, not mine either but they are here to promote something and work at what they love. Look at your life, maybe tell us what you do for a living, and let's tear it apart, probably the same kind of people that never want to pay for gigs either.
ImageImage
gnat

Post by gnat »

ghetto kitty wrote:well i hadnt heard of this skrillex guy till really recently tbh, and i heard more about how everyone in my circles hates him rather than anything good...
but to sell out mid week gigs at the prince, and have the crowd sing along like this....is pretty wow for someone so fresh etc. ive been to gigs like this at the prince, but mainly acts that have been around a long feckin time...

perhaps half the sounds/promoters on here are purists and catering to their older crowds, but this looks to me like a mega successful gig, and if i was 10 years younger id think it was fucking awesome tbh.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

See, that made me smile. People loving the shit out of music is pretty awesome. Sounds horrible to me but there's a whole lot of peeps there having a ball, having paid what- 40 bucks to get in, having ejected themselves from their house mid week for it. Good effort, good energy.

Stark contrast to this thread
Lilley

Post by Lilley »

Thank you for all the supportive comments.

To all the haters:
All I'm trying to do is let people know that the event is on. Everyone has different music tastes and people need to respect that. I'm not about to start writing negative replies on topics about genres that I don't like.

Basically, if it's your kind of music, great come down and check it out! Not what you're into? That's cool, don't come.
amzie

Post by amzie »

You have a Good attitude Lilley! All the best with your Event!
(some of this thread is......you guys should know better, everyone has to start somewhere)
bassfreak

Post by bassfreak »

great_magnet wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly geat_magnet. Glad someone said it......This thread and many others, are a perfect example of the rampant elitism on this forum.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

a chance for rehabilitation tbh.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

funny thread.

not my scene, but good luck with the party mate - and well done for not taking the 89kgs of bait that have been dropped in these last two pages.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Direkt wrote:funny thread.

not my scene, but good luck with the party mate - and well done for not taking the 89kgs of bait that have been dropped in these last two pages.
:retzielikes:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:^^^ agree,

this was my first party... lol

http://forum.melbournebeats.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=2455

seems like eons ago. Flyer is amature etc etc... no-one came and crushed my soul in the thread (thanks for that)
great thread... 2005 huh? aaah, good times!
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

I'm kinda curious as to how this went.
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming