Goodbye, Soundcloud.

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
valuetime

Goodbye, Soundcloud.

Post by valuetime »

Soundcloud removed one of my (free, credited) Random Strange mixes for copyright violation, so I'll be trying to refund the rest of the money I paid them to host audio files as soon as I can. It's only a matter of time before they do they read the tracklists and remove the rest. I hope their fancy Shazam bot cost them a lot of money, because they've gotten their last dime from me.

Anyway, I posted their dispute conditions here, if anyone's interested. And if any DJs are paying Soundcloud to host mixes, beware.

https://plus.google.com/111289089068360 ... CRg6uGS4Ui

I'll be setting up over at Mixcloud, unless anyone else has a better service in mind for me?
huge
old boy

Re: Goodbye, Soundcloud.

Post by huge »

yeah ive seen a lot of this going on for a while. i think CoB had some mixes removed. shitely.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
aroes

Post by aroes »

So why is it happening? Surely if you have bought the music, you own the rights to your copy of it, after which playing it in a DJ set is perfectly legal?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

If you bought the music you have the rights to play it at your house when you are alone (pretty much).
Don't hate me for house
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

its pretty annoying but its also inevitable if Soundcloud are going to hold their market share and avoid litigation. Copyright gets everyone in the end.

I have had several mixes taken down. I either did them again without the song in them or I uploaded to mixcloud. I have heaps more followers on Soundcloud than on Mixcloud and the wdiget is better so thats a pain but its not the end of the world.

I wouldn't leave my paid subscription on Soundcloud because its still by far the best way to market music on the web IMO.
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Guess I'll be on mix cloud soon too then.
How does it work if artists send you music for promotional purposes for radio & club shows? How does soundcloud know the difference?
FliP

Post by FliP »

I've had them remove my mixes before, but I got around it.

From what I understand, the shazam bot they have reads the first part of your set (or track) and if it can match it with anything it will remove it.

One of my last mixes had a 6th borough track as the first in the mix, and it recognised it, and took it down. I put a short upriser and a vocal sample in front of the opening track, and it couildn't recognise it, leaving it up > http://soundcloud.com/flip3000/flip3k-chapterfour-002

Maybe your case is different but this might help?
Sociopathic

Post by Sociopathic »

JAMESSSS wrote:If you bought the music you have the rights to play it at your house when you are alone (pretty much).
I always wondered about this.
So how does it work for DJ's who play in clubs? Are they too basically breaking the law by using someone elses material?

Seems pretty crappy though on soundclouds part :-(
The fridge is angry, the cheese told me so.

Watch out for the penguins, they are comming
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Sociopathic wrote:
JAMESSSS wrote:If you bought the music you have the rights to play it at your house when you are alone (pretty much).
I always wondered about this.
So how does it work for DJ's who play in clubs? Are they too basically breaking the law by using someone elses material?

Seems pretty crappy though on soundclouds part :-(
I think this is what the club pays APRA fees for?
Don't hate me for house
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

I am a bit surprised that people are pissed at Soundcloud for this. I am pretty sure that they never intended the site to become a place for people to host mixes - in fact i think it spiculates it pretty clearly when you are signing up that you are not meant to upload anything that is not your own. It just became a place for hosting mixes as part of its evolution.

As I understand it the reason it is now an issue is because they became a significant player in the market and this made THEM a target from labels. Guess it became a case of create a way to bring your users into line - or be sued.

Seems to be a common story. Success brings attention.

Still - I can not understand why people are bringing their hate on Soundcloud for this - you clicked the 'i read the terms and conditions' button right?
same o
peteybear™

Post by same o »

JAMESSSS wrote:
I think this is what the club pays APRA fees for?
This.

If you are registered with APRA you can submit them with track lists, if you play your tracks you get paid for them etc. They have tried in past to get djs to do track lists for there sets so that money can be distributed to the producers, but it has never really happened.
unsoundbwoy

Post by unsoundbwoy »

DBoy wrote:I can not understand why people are bringing their hate on Soundcloud for this - you clicked the 'i read the terms and conditions' button right?
I got tracks taken down for apparently sampling songs i had never heard of and definitely not sample in tunes made out of synths and original vocals. think that kind of nonsense falls outside of the terms and conditions
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

yer, thats wak.
valuetime

Post by valuetime »

"Unfortunately as your payment is outside of the 14 day trial period, we cannot offer a refund as we feel you've had enough testing time having subscribed for almost a month."

In other words, "And I'm Ron Burgundy. Go fuck yourself, San Diego!".