Gappy Ranks (UK) live at the Laundry Bar - Friday 24 Feb

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Jesse I

Gappy Ranks (UK) live at the Laundry Bar - Friday 24 Feb

Post by Jesse I »

GAPPY RANKS LIVE @ LAUNDRY
FRIDAY 24TH FEBRUARY

Chant Down Productions proudly present Gappy Ranks, the UK’s hottest contemporary reggae and dancehall artist, live on stage!

Gappy Ranks exploded in 2009 with the reggae hits “Heaven In Her Eyes”, “Put The Stereo On”, and “Mountain Top”, and the dancehall killer “Stinking Rich”. Since then, Gappy has gone on to release two full albums (Put The Stereo On and Thanks and Praise) to critical acclaim, and proven himself to be one of the most popular live draws on the international reggae and dancehall circuit, headlining shows across Europe, USA and Asia.

Gappy Ranks was born and raised in Harlesden UK; the child of a Jamaican father and a Dominican mother. Raised around reggae music, it was only natural that Gappy would learn his lyrical craft on the soundsystem scene, which in turn lead to his studio baptism with Stonebridge stars Suncycle Crew. The young artist soon came to the attention of the legendary Peckings label, and the result was his first local hit, “Mountain Top”. The follow-up release, “Heaven In Her Eyes” took him to international stardom, and there was no looking back.

A truly dynamic artist, Gappy Ranks is as comfortable on a classic roots reggae riddim as a cutting edge dancehall beat, and his live shows are a testament to this. Don’t miss this chance to see one of the hottest reggae/dancehall artists in the world today, on top of his game!

Support on the night comes from Chant Down Sound, Armagideon Time, Al Good, Jumpdread and Apprentice.

Gappy Ranks performs live on Friday 24th February at the Laundry Bar (48-50 Johnston St, Fitzroy). Doors open at 10pm. Pre-sale tickets $30 on sale now from www.moshtix.com.au

Jesse I

Re: Gappy Ranks (UK) live at the Laundry Bar - Friday 24 Feb

Post by Jesse I »

I just had a quick chat to Gappy ahead of next weeks show... here's the audio in case anyone is interested. For those who don't know Gappy, he's one of the wickedest artists on the international scene right now... just as comfortable on a classic reggae riddim as he is on a dancehall, hiphop or grime beat...

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

How come he looks like a rapper?
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

lol. probably because he comes from Harlesden, UK and he dresses like most other people from his community and age group. did you think that because he sings reggae as well as dancehall he is supposed to have dreadlocks or something? ;)
Jesse I

Post by Jesse I »

for what it's worth, he can actually rap anyway... not that he will be doing any of this style when he performs here, but check this clip at around 4:50... "I stay on the block like tetris" :)

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Dub Club Melbourne

Post by Dub Club Melbourne »

Jesse I wrote:lol. probably because he comes from Harlesden, UK and he dresses like most other people from his community and age group. did you think that because he sings reggae as well as dancehall he is supposed to have dreadlocks or something? ;)
LMAO
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Jesse I wrote: did you think that because he sings reggae as well as dancehall he is supposed to have dreadlocks or something? ;)
Ha ha. Nah, I'm just prejudiced against anyone who dresses like that :wink:
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well