DJ SS vs. KENNY KEN + MC SKIBADEE - 10th AUG @ BROWN ALLEY

This is the forum for all things Melbourne beats. Post your gigs and other Melbourne music related information here. Keep it about the music and music only, please keep on topic.
Twisted-Audio

DJ SS vs. KENNY KEN + MC SKIBADEE - 10th AUG @ BROWN ALLEY

Post by Twisted-Audio »

Twisted Audio in collaboration with Formation Records and Mix and Blen’ are proud to bring you an oldskool DJ battle like you’ve never seen before:

ORIGINAL CONCEPT – THE VERY BEST OF RAVE, JUNGLE AND DRUM N BASS 1993 – 2003

FEATURING:

DJ SS (FORMATION RECORDS, UK) vs. KENNY KENY (MIX N BLEN’ , UK)

Refereed by – MC SKIBADEE

Friday 10th of August – 10pm till late
Brown Alley (585 Lonsdale st. Melbourne CBD)

EARLY BIRD TICKETS AVAILABLE HERE FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY

Local Support by:

1LC (Groove Therapy)
Fenton b2b Fickuss (Kombat Bass)
C:1 (Rising Lantern)
Kurrupt b2b Micky Dubz + Rabblez MC (BassCreepz, QLD)
Lickweed
Monkee
Clinical

Hosted by: MC Moonie

DJ SS:

SS got his big break DJ’ing at the big British raves of the early 1990s such as Telepathy. Since then he has gone on to DJ world wide. His biggest hit came in 2002 with “The Lighter”, reaching number 63 on the UK Singles Chart.

SS is the co-founder and head of the Formation Records label, and has released over 100 tracks using a number of aliases. These include the “Color Series” and the “Country Series”, MA3 “Those DJs”, the piano-theme-from-Love Story-sampling “Lighter” (the label’s biggest hit) plus many popular drum and bass tunes. He has also remixed “No Good (Start the Dance)” by The Prodigy. He has featured on radio shows such as BBC 1Xtra’s D&B M1X, on which he put together an hour-long mix of Formation tracks and was interviewed about his career.

DJ SS played an important role in the early-’90s development of drum’n’bass, releasing a number of formative tracks beginning in 1990 on his co-owned Formation label before returning in the mid-’90s with a plethora of productions after a brief sabbatical.

In the early ’90s when hardcore began to morph into what would become known as drum’n’bass, he released a series of influential tracks on Formation, including “Breakbeat Pressure,” one of the style’s early classics. However, once drum’n’bass traded its hardcore roots for a more ragga-inflected sound around 1993, SS retired from production, not being interested in the ragga sound. He focused his efforts during this period on other labels that he ran. He returned to drum’n’bass a few years later, though, in a big way. Throughout the late ’90s he released several records on different labels under a number of monikers (Keen, Tekniq), becoming one of the more recognized producers in the U.K. drum’n’bass scene.

Kenny Ken:

Kenny Ken stared DJing in 1989, inspired by the early warehouse parties. During the day he worked as a ticket collector on the London Underground. Discovered by the Labrynth Rave organisation he started DJing at their parties as well as on pirate radio with Centreforce FM, and latterly Dance FM.
His first big break came as a result of him being a regular attendee at an early Sunday morning rave called Crazy Larry's. The organisers also promoted the Crazy Club @ Busby's, and after some persuading Kenny became resident DJ.
He then became resident at Sunday Roast and A.W.O.L, during which time he started producing his own tunes.
His record labels include Mix 'n' Blen & Planet Funk Recordings (co-owned with DJ Mace), and he has also DJed for Radio 1 (One In The Jungle) and had his own show on Kiss FM.

MC Skibadee

Bearing the mantle of ‘the most innovative personality in Drum & Bass’, MC Skibadee has never been one to rest on his laurels; constantly pushing creative boundaries, his high-energy technique has safeguarded his dominance of the MC scene for over ten years, continually surging from strength to strength due to a consistent desire to incorporate fresh ideas in his work. His work on the mic began in 1994, once again indebted to the mighty Kool FM for early exposure thanks to a show co-hosted with DJ Wildchild. A novel presence on the airwaves, unprecedented phone-line response materialised for his shows and paved the way for ascendancy to the club arena, soon featuring regularly at events including Thunder & Joy, Spirit Of The Jungle and eventually City Sound Radio. By the end of 1995 he could list residencies for Kool FM, Fever, Thunder & Joy, Malachite, Electrybe, NJC, designer label Ball and Innersense amongst his repertoire.

News & Info @ TwistedAudio.com
Critical Music - 13th Sep @ La Di Da
Homegrown FreQs 2014 - 24th October @ BA
Twisted-Audio

Re: DJ SS vs. KENNY KEN + MC SKIBADEE - 10th AUG @ BROWN ALL

Post by Twisted-Audio »

News & Info @ TwistedAudio.com
Critical Music - 13th Sep @ La Di Da
Homegrown FreQs 2014 - 24th October @ BA
meltdown

Post by meltdown »

Not to be missed
DJ Lickweed

Post by DJ Lickweed »

Kenny Ken & Skibadee's set from 2003 in Melbourne - Who's ready for Friday night ?!?!?

View this on Soundcloud

Latest Mix:

View this on Soundcloud

AMB - 10th October @ My Aeon
DnB Arena - 19th October @ BA
Tribe - 28th Dec @ BA
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I really fucking enjoyed that. So many old heads it was like the Head Museum in Futurama.
Some guy tried to start a fight with sweet-soft-totally-not-a-fighting-person Adrian and it looked like it was gonna get ugly for a while but Adrian defused the guy and sent him on his way. The only other scary moment for me was on the dancefloor about midway through the SS set. It was a fucking mosh pit, glass and arms and legs flying around, heads cracking on elbows...fucking mad house. And I was glad to be a part of it ;) I enjoyed showing off my cut and two bruises...like badges of honour.
SS STILL delivers. Yeah one or two tunes were pure cheese (Wonderwall anyone?) and some were a little too new to be serious jungling. But the guy has a blast behind the decks, absolutely feeling the tunes. He sways and jives and waves his hands up, it's infectious.
Most of the people at the gig were totally focused on the music, I saw a girl that I can only describe as an amalgam of all the sexy dancer chicks in Dirty Dancing, when Baby brings the watermelon. They all writhing and rolling their hair over their head and down their backs. This chick did ALL that and more, I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She bounced effortlessly from one raver in the mosh to another, cirlced me a few times and we played a bit and then she moved on. She seems bored by us all not getting into it as much as she had. I loved her in that moment. She owed it.
The people were cool, the barstaff were friendly. Don't fault it any, except there was a lot of glass on the dancefloor, I tap danced a lot that night. The difference between the sounds in the middle of the dancefloor and the sound against the back wall is quite extreme. Can't hear someone yell in your ear one minute and then be talking normally to each other only 3 feet away. Kept the dancefloor tight, which was probably the intention.

Top notch, will be remembered for as long as my brain holds out. More jungle nights please. Please.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
NinjaGaijin

Post by NinjaGaijin »

Glad to hear it was jungle.. was gonna pop down but in the end was far better I ate something with my dosh :) was freakin starving, would have probably collapsed if had've moshed, which I would have. Probably better for everyone involved that me and my elbows weren't in attendance.. I have way too much moshing experience and not enough venues anymore.

My dream dance is a combination of capoeira, slam dancing and breakdancing. Pads and helmets would help!

I don't mind not having more big jungle nights.. but local jungle at least please.