Job security?

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

What sort of contract are you generally on?

Casual, short term mostly
No votes
Casual, ongoing
No votes
Short term (1-4 months) contracts
8%
Permanent
88%
Other
4%

Total votes: 24

FoundationStepper

Job security?

Post by FoundationStepper »

All the talk in the job thread of contracts ending got me wondering ... what sort of arrangments are most people here on?

There is much talk of in our revised industrial landscape there being more jobs with less stability and security, have you experinced a change in the past couple of years? Is your industry typically casual based?
spiral

Post by spiral »

work in education on an ongoing contract , so closest thing to job security you can get i guess, though there have been rumours about role being redefined..
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

I'm on the old employment contract system, full time.
They tried to fire me last year, too much red tape, I am pretty safe.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

It would be a pisser if my work tried to fire me I think.
Don't hate me for house
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

Me full time.

bring the packages I say.
PUCK YOU MISS ~~!
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

I don't trust employers anymore. I never feel safe. I keep getting told that my position is secure and then 3 weeks later I'm redundant. If I broke rules or didn't make budget I'd fucking understand it a bit more but it seems that companies will be very underhanded if they think they can save a dollar or two.
:?
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Full-time set rocking business.
mrj

Post by mrj »

The growth in contract and part time employment in Australia has more to do with changes in work force demographics than it does with employers preferring those arrangements.

Put simply, people are preferring these sorts of arrangements and the request for these types of roles is coming more from the employee, rather than the employer.

Some examples...

The growth in take up of maternity leave and the increased provisions under legislation (compared to historically) has resulted in a growth in contract roles, because hey, a lot of women are going on maternity leave and they need someone to fill the role for twelve months.

The boost in the participation rate has come from non-traditional sectors (more women with young children, older workers etc) and workers in these groups tend to favour non-perm/full time work. For example a single mum with 2 young kids may find it hard to cover a full time role, but 15 hours might not be so much of a stretch, however historically they would have been chastised for working and putting the kids in day care. This has changed though. Also older workers may not have a need financially to keep working, but at the same time might like to keep busy, and "stay in the game" as it were, so might work one day a week or something. With deomgraphics the way they are in this country this is an effect that will only increase.

Also certain industries that have grown rapidly in the past 20 years (such as IT), or that are currently in boom (such as mining) that tend to be more project based or cyclical will favour contract type arrangements (as will the people who work in these sectors).

Its things like this that are driving the increased flexiblity of work arrangements in Australia. Its not an employer led consiracy to reduce job security.

The Australian labour market is under huge capacity constraints with unemployment at historic lows. The war for talent is over kids, talent won! Never has your job been as secure as it is now.
Last edited by mrj on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
deviant

Post by deviant »

jbs wrote:It would be a pisser if my work tried to fire me I think.
yeah, same
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

:scr1pt:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Is it so ludicrous to think that it might happen? Unless you've got pictures of your boss doing weird things with his stapler, I don't see how anyone could be secure. You can feel it all you want, but being secure in a job (to me) seems a near impossibility.

Shit, how jaded do I sound? :roll:
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

system wrote:
:scr1pt:
Believe me, it was. hehehe
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

i think im one of the lucky ones to be on a part time salary in the music industry.

pity i work full time, and then some.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

DOE til the die I retire...or the kids kill me.

:wink:

Job security, plus some.

:D
FoundationStepper

DOE?

department of...?
Fents

Post by Fents »

edumacation.
FoundationStepper

of course

a state body i never come across. know my DSEs and DPCDs and DPIs and EPAs but not my DOEs
almax

Post by almax »

...education

OB like to spank kiddies in his classroom
Ani

Post by Ani »

FoundationStepper wrote:of course

know my DSEs and DPCDs and DPIs and EPAs
Ah acronyms i am very familiar with too!

My job was secure, until my boss went all weird on me. But I've hung around a month and a half longer than i was meant to, and it's going to be easily a couple more weeks before I can leave (too much work). But for some reason my boss seems to be giving me a lot more respect now (ever since I kinda told him off!).

Job hunting now though, need security. My old job was secure, practically impossible to get fired, but the catch was.. the job.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

So FS do you ever venture into EPA on level 21?
I've raised an environmental concern reagarding out toilet facilities inspite of the irony that we have regulators on our level.
FoundationStepper

nah dont go up there at all

what sort of environmental concern? are the toilets being used to dredge port phillip bay? are they forming a toxic waste dump?
FoundationStepper

I had to lol at this.

JULIA Gillard and Kevin Rudd promised before last year's election to pulp and recycle the tens of thousands of remaining Work Choices booklets printed by the Howard government, but they made no mention of the fate of the 100,000 or so Work Choices computer mousemats the former Coalition government also commissioned. Earlier this week, when Strewth asked Gillard's office what the fate of the now not-needed mousemats would be, Gillard's media minder, Kimberley Gardiner, promised to find out. Yesterday the Deputy PM told parliament that she had discovered 97,898 Work Choices mousemats that were costing taxpayers $930 a month in storage fees. As they can't be recycled, the Government is still working on their ultimate fate. A number have found homes: Gillard sent one as a memento to every Coalition MP and senator. The last of the 450,000 remaining Work Choices booklets were sent to be recycled yesterday.
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Thats fucked up. huge storage fees. I'll take one of their hands.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

mixtress wrote:Is it so ludicrous to think that it might happen? Unless you've got pictures of your boss doing weird things with his stapler, I don't see how anyone could be secure. You can feel it all you want, but being secure in a job (to me) seems a near impossibility.

Shit, how jaded do I sound? :roll:
it's pretty easy: if you're doing something which is absolutely crucial to them, if there's no way they could replace you (particularly for the money) without training them for a year or more, and they're also happy with your performance ...
Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

I work full time..

But i don't think the owner likes me :(

I think i am what they consider a little out there, just cause i wear Haori and other type clothes, my hair, and my tatts....