FIRE AID 2??

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
ulyssian

Re: FIRE AID 2??

Post by ulyssian »

Victorian Council Of Social Services also outlines ways in which you can help:
http://www.vcoss.org.au/documents/VCOSS ... Feb09.html

Our work has found out today that all upcoming available Public Housing Stock and all Transitional Accommodation is to be used for the fire victims... which means no one else getting housed.

Real Estate Agents are also on board with accommodating those left displaced. :salute:

(and if your donating to the Salvos... think about where half the money goes and what areas they really help..... you may be disappointed)
Last edited by ulyssian on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

;-)
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

ulyssian wrote:Our work has found out today that all upcoming available Public Housing Stock and all Transitional Accommodation is to be used for the fire victims... which means no one else getting housed.
for real? i hate to say it, but that's really fucked. people have been waiting for years to have a roof over their head. :?

i'm not denying the emergency of this situation in the slightest, but seriously, you'd be pretty gutted if you were about to get housed, and then get told you have to keep sleeping rough for god knows how much longer.
fikuss

Post by fikuss »

just donated.

a lot of the stories are truly shattering. just spent half an hour getting an update on the abc website.
relieved to know that you're okay up there Jay. also that my mate's farm near bright still stands and they are all alive and well.

a dark few days indeed.

muchos respectos to anyone fighting the fires.
quick

Post by quick »

I'm trying to donate to the red cross but it keeps failing online and I can't get through over the phone... is anyone else having this problem?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

quick wrote:I'm trying to donate to the red cross but it keeps failing online and I can't get through over the phone... is anyone else having this problem?
The fuckers will be getting swamped right now innit
quick

Post by quick »

Hardy wrote:
quick wrote:I'm trying to donate to the red cross but it keeps failing online and I can't get through over the phone... is anyone else having this problem?
yeah, seems as much... also seems they be too busy for my money, so fuk em.... :teef:
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

quick wrote:
Hardy wrote:
yeah, seems as much... also seems they be too busy for my money, so fuk em.... :teef:
:lol:

Terrible service, would not recommend.
spiral

Post by spiral »

To donate to the Red Cross State Government Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund:
* Visit www.redcross.org.au
* Phone 1800 811 700
* Any NAB, ANZ, Westpac or Commonwealth Bank branch
* Any Bunnings store
* By direct deposit to the Victorian Bushfire Relief Fund - BSB 082-001, Account number 860-046-797
NakedAge

Post by NakedAge »

Gliding High wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:
Gliding High wrote:I don't personally think a party is right. I'd feel guilty out dancing for this - but that is just me.
I don't understand this point of view. Should people feel even more guilty then for going to gigs and dancing where all the proceeds aren't donated to this cause? Why wasn't there this kind of response for the last fire aid?
As i said earlier, parties are still going to be happening so why not use this to raise extra money for the cause? I'm disappointed with the lack of support from people on here. Biggups to those who do support it tho!
I'm donating $100 0f my own money today, and probably the same again next week when I get paid again. I will probably send goods from my family's business to the salvo's too.
I'll do anything I can to help the people who need it - I just don't think a dance party is worth it, nor relevant.
I'm totally with Shep, Mellogs and the others on this one.
Your better off donating - I don't think anyone on here has the resources nor the crowd pulling potential to make this worthwhile. But, that's my opinion, which I am entitled to. If you can run a massive party, pulling a huge crowd, therefore making a substantial amount of money, rather than just a token gesture of help - then, I shall be the first one to congragulate you.

I'm donating money also. See, a party is a celebration. You don't celebrate death and destruction. Right now isn't the time to celebrate. The time to celebrate is when we can rejoice in those who are alive and celebrate their good health and celebrate triumph in the face of disaster. ... Until all the bodies are found theres no reason to celebrate the living.

Also who ever said a gig should be more like a presentation/concert/show, initially thats what I thought you guys did yeah?
Getting drunk and taking drugs is the absolute worst way to do this.

130 dead... Thatssss beyond fucked up
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Fents wrote:also clothes and toys. taske a drive up to whittlesea op shop (30mins from city) and drop off whatever you can food/clothes/toys/money.
Just about to head off to drop boxes off but Current Affair interview with an organiser says they have more clothes than they can handle. Which is great, clothes and food a plenty up there for the moment. Good work Australia.

Anyone heard of any other shelters or centres that still need clothes?? Im trying to find stuff on the net but seemingly donating clothes is more of a pain than a positive.

Not sure what to do with these now, might wait and see if they run out soon or something. Fuck I wish I had money, seems to be the best thing to do right now.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

At our work we are collecting basic hygene stuff like soap, toilet paper, shampoo, toothbrushes and paste etc, as well as canned goods and other foods.
spiral

Post by spiral »

THERE are several ways you can help the victims of Victoria's worst
ever bushfires.

This morning Victoria Police and the Red Cross have requested people
wanting to donate should not use any numbers listed for emergency use
only.

You can donate to the Red Cross State Government Victorian Bushfire
Appeal Fund by clicking on the link.
http://www.redcross.org.au/vic/services ... victorian-
bushfires-appeal-2009.htm

Phone 1800 811 700

Call the Red Cross Information Line on 1800 727 077 for relief
centres and help locating relatives, friends and missing persons
Go to any NAB, ANZ, Westpac or Commonwealth Bank branch

Go to any Bunnings store

Make a direct deposit to the Victorian Bushfire Relief Fund
BSB 082-001, Account number 860-046-797

Australia Post will donate $1 million to the bushfire relief fund and
collect donations in more than 4000 post offices across the country.

Managing Director Graeme John said people will be able to donate
immediately at Australia Post outlets.

Another appeal set up is the Myer Bushfire Appeal. All proceeds will
go to the Salvation Army. Donate at any Victorian Myer store.

Relief & recovery centres
A list of local government community information numbers is available
below for information about Recovery Centres.

Information about Relief Centres is available from the DSE website
(external link)
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenfoe.n ... AB20297CA2
57557000EE72DE2ACC26BB87D6BFC4A2567CB000DB12D

The list is organised alphabetically by council name.

Alpine Shire
Community information line: 03 5755 0513

Baw Baw Shire
Community information line: 1300 859 414

Cardinia Shire
Community information line: TBA

City of Greater Bendigo
Community hotline: 03 5446 9151

City of Horsham
Community information line: 03 5382 9794 & 5382 9793

Corangamite (Camperdown fires)
Community information line: 55 937 100 (8.30am to 5.00pm)

Indigo Shire
Community information line: 03 5728 8000

Latrobe City
Community information line: 1800 017 777

Mitchell Shire
Community information line: 03 5734 6232

Murrindini Shire
Community information line: 03 5772 0333

South Gippsland Shire
Recovery Centre located at:
Old Police Station, 16 Boronia St, Mirboo North

Community information line: 1800 814 814

Southern Grampians Shire (Coleraine fires)
Community information line: 03 5573 0444 (24/7)

Shire of Nillumbik
Community information line: 03 9438 5299

Shire of Yarra Ranges
Community information line: 1300 368 333

Shire of Whittlesea
Community information line: 03 9217 2170 (24/7)

Wellington Shire
Community information line: 1300 137 218

deviant

Post by deviant »

J Gal wrote:
youthful_implants wrote:This has got nothing to do with the last event, which some of you seem to be using as weird leverage to dissuade Andy from doing something decent.

I dont care what happened last time you tried to do this, unless you have something helpful to add. Perhaps its a bigger incentive to make it work and useful to the people that need it.

If every time a promoter threw a party that was quiet, everyone said 'I dont think you should do it again.' then we wouldn't have any parties at all!

Sort it out!
You're a dickhead mate.
so so so very wrong :angry3:
nic

Post by nic »

:scr1pt:

who gives a fuck if people get 'waisted' at a fundraiser? wot about charity balls and the like yeah? lots of drinks and goog times yeah? yeah - just like down at the footy club yeah? "get on it mate its a good cause"

yeah? up on your fucking high horses? yeahhhhhhhh.

a donation is a donation is a donation help is help is help
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

I reckon celebrating the fact that a large amount of the dance community has come together to support a charity is okay in my book. As someone said before, people are going to party on the weekend regardless - why not use their partying money for a good cause?

It'd hardly work if it was meant to be a sombre affair. Who would want to go to a sombre dance party? Emo's maybe.... :wink:

But I also understand the timing of it. You would not want to stage this too close to the disaster as it would appear insensitive.
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm finding the news too hard to read, especially at work...

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/i-now- ... tml?page=1
witty_pseudonym

Post by witty_pseudonym »

deviant wrote:I'm finding the news too hard to read, especially at work...
full on. there are some amazingly harrowing stories coming out. absolutely heartbreaking.

still get a lump in my throat reading some of people's accounts. to think that places i visited as a kid no longer exist...i mean wtf!?! fucking tragic.
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

Sobering innit Dan :cry:

I have to agree with Direkt and Nic and such. Judging the way someone gives is kinda high and mighty, especially when the end result is the same. No one's dancing on graves ffs, it's an event in tribute, raising MONEY that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Not making fun but what would Jesus do? Would He refuse a donation from a prostitute?

I find it quite insulting actually.

Besides the fact that this is Melbourne Beats, and dancing to music is what we do.
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

witty_pseudonym wrote:
deviant wrote:I'm finding the news too hard to read, especially at work...
full on. there are some amazingly harrowing stories coming out. absolutely heartbreaking.

still get a lump in my throat reading some of people's accounts. to think that places i visited as a kid no longer exist...i mean wtf!?! fucking tragic.
yeah, really hit home when i was driving with j & sphez to mum's old place to check if it still existed. had to take the back roads since all the main ones were locked down for cfa + ses + po-po, ended up driving straight through the main bit of destruction there. pretty much a whole suburb no longer exists but for maps, and a lot of those houses were closer than the nearest milkbar to where i spent the first 13 years of my life.
mixtress wrote:Besides the fact that this is Melbourne Beats, and dancing to music is what we do.
it is?
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

fooishbar wrote:
mixtress wrote:Besides the fact that this is Melbourne Beats, and dancing to music is what we do.
it is?
Well that and chin-stroking, obviously :wink:
L-J

Post by L-J »

Direkt wrote:
fooishbar wrote:
it is?
Well that and chin-stroking, obviously :wink:
more chinstroking IMO.
The South East Connection-Every Sat 9am-11am GMT+1 8pm-10pm GMT+10
Big Tings-24th Oct With Coki, Loefah, Mj Cole and Zed Bias @ Roxannes
Branded Beats- 6th Nov @ Mercat
mixtress

Post by mixtress »

point is what do you expect when you've got a 24 hour gig at a nightclub?
Only the meek get pinched...the bold survive
Friday

Post by Friday »

i grew up in kinglake west.
know people who lost their lives and others who have lost everything but.
still haven't heard whether the house i grew up in is still standing or not. probably not.
i'm up for a fire aid.
can contribute on a venue assistance and/act procurement.
i know things didn't go great with the last one but it doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile trying again...
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

fuck, my family in Wonga Park are packing up their stuff coz there's a fire in Kangaroo Ground

Thank fuck they're not hanging around to try & save the house
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
deviant

Post by deviant »

have spent a bit of time in yarra valley over the last few years..... marysville = GONE, whole town cahput

fuck me
deviant

Post by deviant »

this map is pretty up-to-date.... very alarming

victoria burns on google maps
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

My family home is now within 10 km of the fire northeast of healesville. Just hoping for no northerly winds. At least I got my mum working on fires near there so we'll get plenty of warning. GO MUM!
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
almax

Post by almax »

andy_hoffman wrote:My family home is now within 10 km of the fire northeast of healesville. Just hoping for no northerly winds. At least I got my mum working on fires near there so we'll get plenty of warning. GO MUM!
I might be reading this wrong but if your home is northeast of the fire, you wouln't want a south westerly wind. Good luck to your family anyway dude!
Anywho, yup, found out my family home (thankfully we dont own it anymore though) in Jumbuck (near Churchill) is gone, makes me think back to when i was a kid and mum had me raking up leaves and collecting sticks to lessen the bushfire threat, so much hard work and i reckon it would have been all for naught in these circumstances anyway.
ctoafn_DMZ

Post by ctoafn_DMZ »

Party could work, happy to help in any way I can but keep in mind that you cant do this gig in 2 weeks, you are gunna need a good 6-8 weeks of solid promo to get this going because you are not going to have the budget to go nuts on. Plus 2 weeks is a little soon to be partying whne some of the fires wont even be out. They'll need more money later on to help with the rebuilding process. i thin all the big businesses donating (which there are a lot of) will help in the short term.

I think Friday's help getting some big acts for headlining is why the first one was large - and it was fun. I like that idea of the bowls one, morwe lazy, can spend more time hitting peopel up for cash and a mroe sociable atmosphere.

On a side note, just found this Boston wesbite - it has some amazing photos giving you an idea of how hard those CFA guys work - balls of steel going in there to help out fellow aussies. Utter destruction though.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/0 ... trali.html
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

My mum and bro are now too fucking close for comfort.

This map is freaky

http://mp3.news.com.au/hwt/Victoria_fire/index.swf

My bro is working near home all by himself and im doing stupid travel insurance claims ages away in the city unable to do anything. Fuck this man, sickening.

Need that QLD rain storm to bust a move down here and do good instead of evil.

BU Andy's mum and everyone else out there.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

almax wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:My family home is now within 10 km of the fire northeast of healesville. Just hoping for no northerly winds. At least I got my mum working on fires near there so we'll get plenty of warning. GO MUM!
I might be reading this wrong but if your home is northeast of the fire, you wouln't want a south westerly wind. Good luck to your family anyway dude!
Anywho, yup, found out my family home (thankfully we dont own it anymore though) in Jumbuck (near Churchill) is gone, makes me think back to when i was a kid and mum had me raking up leaves and collecting sticks to lessen the bushfire threat, so much hard work and i reckon it would have been all for naught in these circumstances anyway.
The fire is north east of healesville and we're southeast of there. Only bushland between there and us. At least we are down the mountain!
...................................................................................................................................................
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering, and anyone who is in contact with those who are suffering. It is indeed a sombre time for our State.

We are currently mobilising our volenteers here and providing support where possible . Using our facilities and counsellors wherever they are needed.

In terms of the party - I will try to frame this in a positive way and please take it as positive feedback. You will need to do it sooner rather than later. People get overwealmed with the ask of compassion in about 2 -3 weeks at the most. It may sound horrible and it is not meant to disgregard how massive this event is, but we are going to be bombarded with images and calls for cash and whatnot for the next 2 weeks. non-stop. Anything later than 3 weeks and you will have lost the momentum. Just my opinion.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

friends of mine have evacuated.
im offering my house, my car, my support in any way possible...

still trying to contact some of our crew, have not been able to get hold of them..
some last seen at rainbow...

fingers crossed they are ok.

:(
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

We understand that the bigger agencies are calling for cash contributions, but we have a small network that can distribute goods. Assistance can be provided by supplying the following items:

Hygiene goods and toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothbrushes, tweezers and deodorant.
Clothing: men's, women's, children's and babies' clothes.
Bedding: sheets, blankets, pillows, pillowcases, doonas and doona covers.
Other items: including shoes and socks.

All goods can be dropped off at at 375 to 377 Johnston Street, Abbotsford between 8am and 6pm this week, and we will deliver to the people we have on the ground.
Friday

Post by Friday »

another drop point for red cross is 63 peel st, windsor.
friends of mine collecting for red cross - all the same stuff that d listed...
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

FoundationStepper wrote:Coles to donate this Friday's profits to the appeal

Hope its ALL the profits...
If they say they're donating all profits, then I think it's safe to say they will. That shit will be heavily monitored (especially by their competitors).

Besides, even if it was only part of the profits, still pretty fucking good.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

good either way but coles dont have a great track record - i remember hearing about instances of giveaways/donatations etc where they make up windfall but squeezing the farmers even more.
deejaypcp

Post by deejaypcp »

mixtress wrote: Judging the way someone gives is kinda high and mighty, especially when the end result is the same.
indeed.

We all enjoy great freedom in a place like Melbourne.
Now is the time to give something back to the community.
Judging how our peers do this achieves nothing and wastes time better spent helping those in need.
c'mon.
If fire aid 2 raises only $100 I'm pretty sure the family it helps won't be complaining about the fact the people took drugs at the event.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

St Andrew's pub is gone :(

I know this is nothing compared to lives and homes but it was my favourite pub. Great memories!
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

A harsh article from an experinced expert, laying some blame on pollies beholden to the suburban-greenie votes for improper restrictions on necessary burning off. Its a bit too early for this stuff i think, but there are some serious questions raised about our managment of bushland

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 64,00.html

St Andrews Pub! :(
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

RRR are doing some collections.... [FROM FACEBOOK]

Event Info Host: Triple R FM is the Greatest Radio Station in The Universe
Type: Causes - Fundraiser
Network: Global
Time and Place Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Time: 10:00am - 6:00pm
Street: Cnr Nicholson St & Blyth St
City/Town: Brunswick, Australia

Hi all, I'm organising a collection of toiletries, women's sanitary items, disposable razors and shampoo/conditioner (and any other small bathroom/toiletry essentials) to be delivered to the major "base camp" refuges in the fire zone. The command centres and volunteers have expressed a need for these items and what exists in the shops that remain won't last long as (obviously) there are no deliveries being made.

In monetary terms it's not even a drop in the ocean (i.e. $10 for some pads and tampons, or a set of shampoo and conditioner, or some kids' toothbrushes - just pop them in the trolley along with your other groceries) but will make a huge difference to someone who has nothing and needs to restore a bit of humanity and dignity amongst the destruction. The small relief of something as simple as having a preferred brand of tampon or the ability to have a shave in these circumstances should not be underestimated.

I will be doing a "drop-off"/pick-up at Triple R (corner of Nicholson & Blyth Streets, East Brunswick; end of 96 tram line) on WEDNESDAY of this week, during office hours: 10am to 6pm. The time and day is non-negotiable but we hope this won't be an obstacle to people's charity!

PLEASE NOTE: we will NOT be able to accept food/perishables, or clothes/blankets. There are other drives doing so including the Salvos and Coles (etc).

What we WILL be glad to accept:

* pads and tampons (and maternity and incontinence pads)
* disposable razors (both "genders") and shave creams
* shampoo and conditioner
* nappies in a variety of sizes (and Pull-Ups, Goodnights etc)
* toothbrushes and toothpaste
* soap
* toiletry bags (preferably stuffed with all of the above!)

Hope to see some of you there to fill some "Coles bags" for the bushfire victims
Just because I rock, doesn't mean I'm made of stone.
Hardy

Post by Hardy »

FoundationStepper wrote:A harsh article from an experinced expert, laying some blame on pollies beholden to the suburban-greenie votes for improper restrictions on necessary burning off. Its a bit too early for this stuff i think, but there are some serious questions raised about our managment of bushland

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 64,00.html

St Andrews Pub! :(
That, or they could blame the cunts who started the fires.
Brain

Post by Brain »

cammo

Post by cammo »

very sad
dont think any kind of benefit gig is a good idea.
off to donate some cash
thoughts go out to all who have suffered
Stray

Post by Stray »

andy_hoffman wrote:St Andrew's pub is gone :(

I know this is nothing compared to lives and homes but it was my favourite pub. Great memories!

Oh noes.. that pub was awesome :(

More than $14 million has so far been donated to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

just got an email saying that the rspca are in urgent need of the following things (new or used):

• Bedding (old sheets and blankets)
• Towels (any size)
• Drinking vessels (old buckets, bowls, plastic dishes, ice cream containers)
• Collars, leads

"RSPCA Shelters and Inspectors have been working around the clock to provide emergency assistance to animals affected by the recent bushfires. However, help is required to save the thousands of domestic and native animals that will die in the next few weeks simply because they do not have access to food, water or shelter."

here at work we are organising a drop off of all these things tomorrow arvo. i am sure you can call them and ask how to get the stuff to them if you have it to give
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
ulyssian

Post by ulyssian »

just been to whittlesea and made the truck to kinglake. Goods supplied were sunglasses. backpacks containing a set of toiletries in each. Fold up camping chairs and torches plus batteries. It is a confusing place as people are not checking what items are required before heading out. The op shop is not taking clothing donations but the field is and has lots of clothes in charf bags. Pet food container next to the vet.
We are giving one house to victims however the fuckhead tenant has trashed it and it will take a few weeks to clean. Ass.
shabana

Post by shabana »

quick wrote:Wow... just got an email from Bruce Akhurst (Sensis CEO)
I am very pleased to tell you that Sensis will match all staff bushfire and flood appeal donations and fundraising by $2 for every $1 you give, up to the value of $200,000.
Fukn fair play, will be donating through them now... anyone else wanting to donate should send money through me so it all gets trippled... PM me if you want to donate through me.
hey quick check your pms
Peace and Fucking - Believe