bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
huge
old boy

Re: bikes

Post by huge »

lots of peeps train on fixed, good to keep the legs moving.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

10-4 Scoop. 120rpms is getting up there!
aroes

Post by aroes »

Direkt wrote:
aroes wrote: Not in a stage race no, but I'd bet good money that a heap of them train on a fixed wheel. Also pretty sure Stuart O'Grady won a Tour de France time trial on a fixed gear bike
All I could find was this reference:
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... ?id=wilier

1.15km prologue @ Giro d'Italia. Straight and flat course.

Fuck that's a short race!

Haha I opted to leave that tidbit of info out

I can totes understand your viewpoint on the fixie craze dude, but I do think that to a certain extent, you have blinkers on

I, like you, ride a road bike, wear lycra and pay attention to things like cadence. Just because it makes perfect sense to us to go about our hobby in this way doesn't mean it does to everyone else. As I said in my post way up the page, there are guys who ride fixies in jeans and a ripped t shirt that could absolutely wallop you or I in a race. These guys couldn't give a rats about how many RPM they're turning, they just love riding
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Nah, I'll kick their ass.
:teefnilly:

Jokes... I've only been back in the saddle for 2-weeks. Hear what you're saying though.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I think it's fantastic that we all ride bikes.

Poll for a Spiesy Vs Deviant bike race.

Track and Road.

Tour de Melbourne Beats.

Dan has to wear lycra and Spiesy has to ride a fixie.

Deal done.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

Feigan wrote:
deviant wrote:In other news... I got a flat tire on the way to work today :(
damn.

where you packing a tube?
nah, dan only rides fixed-tube bikes.
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

I love my new bike. It's got wires, gears, tires, brakes and goes fast down hills and resists gravity when I push it up hills. Makes me sweat, it does. Did the Warburton Trail yesterday and that was AWESOME!!!

If anyone wants to do a relatively easy 80-100km ride this weekend, just message me.

:)
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

This thread got great fast,

"real" riders
Hipsters
lycra
and
a
kiddy fiddler beardy type with an eagle helmet thing
CoB

Post by CoB »

huge wrote:lots of peeps train on fixed, good to keep the legs moving.
direkt doesnt think so >.<
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
retzie

Post by retzie »

Direkt wrote:Tell me fixed gear hasn't been an emerging trend for the past 5-years or so in Melbourne?
Just so y'alls know, there's nothing Melbourne about it. Can has in every North American city I've been to (lots!) and no doubt there's the odd gabillionty-seven in Europe. There are hipsters on fixies in Stillwater Oklahoma, fer fuck's sake.

I will also add that many serial road cyclists I know keep their lycra and carbon fibre lovelies for the 'real' rides and thrash around town on fixies (yes, complete with long socks and ironic moustaches.) So really, we should all probably accept that THERE ARE DOUBLE AGENTS!!! HATE EVERYONE JUST IN CASE!!!!!

:teef:
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Hatsudai wrote:This thread got great fast,

"real" riders
Hipsters
lycra
and
a
kiddy fiddler beardy type with an eagle helmet thing
I thought you where referring to Ob at first!

hahaha

:D

Awaits feigan styled parody email from Ob
deviant

Post by deviant »

I'm not a "cyclist", I just like riding my bike :shrug:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

retzie wrote:
Direkt wrote:Tell me fixed gear hasn't been an emerging trend for the past 5-years or so in Melbourne?
Just so y'alls know, there's nothing Melbourne about it. Can has in every North American city I've been to (lots!) and no doubt there's the odd gabillionty-seven in Europe. There are hipsters on fixies in Stillwater Oklahoma, fer fuck's sake.
Erm, yeah... it's still been a trend in Melbourne though. I didn't say it was exclusive to Melbourne, I'm just talking about the city the majority of us live in.

I was on Venice Beach, CA just last weekend - fixies fucking everywhere! You're right.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Feigan wrote:I touch myself often when thinking about bikes...and Fev!
:nahnah:
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

obliveus wrote:
And we're back.....
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Feigan wrote:
obliveus wrote:
And we're back.....
:lol:
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

So anyway. Get ya friggin bikes and ride in this. Just do it - let it be the good thing you do for Melbourne this year.

www.justcycle.com.au
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Hahaha... that's great!
deviant

Post by deviant »

I love the hipster's handle-bars... bare lols
deviant

Post by deviant »

So, I've been riding fixed for over 2 weeks now... totally love it, rad fun n all that...

I reckon it's more physically taxing for sure (at least at first). Using your legs to stop uses a whole other group of muscles. Skids are fun too :D

do kind of miss freewheeling down hills, but only when I'm tired at the end of a ride.
aroes

Post by aroes »

nice one

had any close calls yet?

are you still running a front brake?
deviant

Post by deviant »

brakes: yep, not planning on doing away with it either. Silly imo. If you have afront brake, I don't see why the perception is that a fixie is more dangerous :?

nope, no close calls, except a few weeks ago when some dipshit was pretty much driving in the bike lane.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Seen

Just be careful riding alongside parked cars. Fixed or not, the amount of people I see absolutely gunning it in places such as Sydney Rd, Chapel St, CBD etc makes my skin crawl. All it takes is for one parked driver to fling their door open and you're in a world of shit
deviant

Post by deviant »

yep, all over that... I usually watch the parked cars like a hawk for people in the drivers seat etc. If there's someone in a car, I'll usually prepare for braking or give them a wide berth (traffic permitting). Someone opened their door on me on queensberry street the other day, it was easly dodged... the dude even apologised profusly when he saw me swerve around him.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

for the first month or so go easy on the skid stops till your muscles build up a bit. can do some damage if you go too hard too early :)

i tend to ride almost on the road when riding next to parked cars. at least a door length out and it makes swerving less dangerous!

on another note. peak hour bike riders are fucking mental! im amazed that more of them dont cause more accidents. crazy amounts of shoaling, dangerous overtaking and racing for no reason. will go back to riding in before 7 again next week so wont have to deal with it huhu.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

riding a fixed gear bike on the road at high speed downhill is a recipe for disaster tbh. far prefer riding single speed freewheel.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

deviant wrote:yep, all over that... I usually watch the parked cars like a hawk for people in the drivers seat etc. If there's someone in a car, I'll usually prepare for braking or give them a wide berth (traffic permitting). Someone opened their door on me on queensberry street the other day, it was easly dodged... the dude even apologised profusly when he saw me swerve around him.
nice work. :thumbup:

keeping an eye on movement in the road facing side mirror is the key.
deviant

Post by deviant »

huge wrote:for the first month or so go easy on the skid stops till your muscles build up a bit. can do some damage if you go too hard too early :)

haha, totes feeling that... I got the twinge in my upper leg, might give it a rest for a bit
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

you will get pretty awesome thigh and calf muscles. also there are muscles on my knees i never knew existed.
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

I wouldn't mind trying a fixie to see what all teh fuss is about.

entry level fixie prices anyone?
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Feigan wrote:I wouldn't mind trying a fixie to see what all teh fuss is about.

entry level fixie prices anyone?
i found one for $349 smackers.

more details on the cell bikes site.
CoB

Post by CoB »

remove the back brakes and you got yourself a deal :P
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

So what is the purpose of having a fixed gear bike honestly?? The constant pedalling must be a hinderance really. And surely putting your hand on the brake lever is easier than doing half a pedal so you can brake with your legs... ?
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
deviant

Post by deviant »

andy_hoffman wrote:So what is the purpose of having a fixed gear bike honestly??
to be cool :smt004
deviant

Post by deviant »

oh...

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

you didn't read this I take it
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

deviant wrote:
andy_hoffman wrote:So what is the purpose of having a fixed gear bike honestly??
to be cool :smt004
Clearly! :retzielikes:
...................................................................................................................................................
mrj

Post by mrj »

i dont know why people take such an opposition to things just because the only reason to do it is because its cool. coolness is a perfectly valid reason to do something.

for example, lets say you are offered a choice between two free cars. A 2003 Ford Laser and a 2011 Lamborgini.

The Laser is more economical, easier and cheaper to fix, easier to park, can actually make it over a speed bump and in and out of steep and unusual driveways. Plus due to the fact that we have speed limits in this country it will get you to where you need to go just as quickly and lets face it probably more safely than the Lambo will.

But which would you rather have? The Lamborgini of course!

Why? Because its fun, and you feel like a total dude when you drive it, and people will look at you and, unlike the Laser, its very likely to increase the frequency with which you get laid and the number of people involved when you do. And all those things are true because its cool. Its a cool car, and by having it you're a cool person.

Tell me, wtf is wrong with that?

Fixies are the same thing. They are a bit more practical mechanically, but probably less practical to actually ride and probably more dangerous. but so what, they're cool. And thats ok by me.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

mrj wrote:i dont know why people take such an opposition to things just because the only reason to do it is because its cool. coolness is a perfectly valid reason to do something.

for example, lets say you are offered a choice between two free cars. A 2003 Ford Laser and a 2011 Lamborgini.

The Laser is more economical, easier and cheaper to fix, easier to park, can actually make it over a speed bump and in and out of steep and unusual driveways. Plus due to the fact that we have speed limits in this country it will get you to where you need to go just as quickly and lets face it probably more safely than the Lambo will.

But which would you rather have? The Lamborgini of course!

Why? Because its fun, and you feel like a total dude when you drive it, and people will look at you and, unlike the Laser, its very likely to increase the frequency with which you get laid and the number of people involved when you do. And all those things are true because its cool. Its a cool car, and by having it you're a cool person.

Tell me, wtf is wrong with that?

Fixies are the same thing. They are a bit more practical mechanically, but probably less practical to actually ride and probably more dangerous. but so what, they're cool. And thats ok by me.
Yeah, but a nerd in a nice car is still a nerd. By default, everyone posting in this thread is a nerd regardless of the bike they ride. Fixie riding nerds are the worst because they have to validate why they ride something that's more difficult to ride for the sake of looking cooler. It's like bragging about your weak wizard in Dungeons & Dragons just because he can't kill an Orc....but he's got a cool staff. Preposterous!!!

Nerds, the lot of us...

:teef:
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Each to their own.. i was just asking in case somebody had a proper reason to be riding a fixed gear bike. I'm just someone who's never done things because it's cool (well not since i was bout 12 in my Cross Colours days haha). I hate trends and i just find it frustrating how many sheep there are that can't think for themselves and just do things cos everyone else is doing it and it's "cool" at the moment.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

im fitter than i have been for the last 10 years now im riding fixed. is that a good reason?

ps. did you know that was me yesterday morning waving at you? huhu
aroes

Post by aroes »

andy_hoffman wrote: I'm just someone who's never done things because it's cool I hate trends and i just find it frustrating how many sheep there are that can't think for themselves and just do things cos everyone else is doing it and it's "cool" at the moment.
might be time to stop playing dubstep in your sets then

:teefnilly: :teefnilly: :teefnilly: :scripteef: :teefnilly: :stirthepot:
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

:retzielikes: :teefnilly: :teefnilly: :joy: :donk: Image :donk: :joy: :teefnilly: :teefnilly: :retzielikes:
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

huge wrote:im fitter than i have been for the last 10 years now im riding fixed. is that a good reason?

ps. did you know that was me yesterday morning waving at you? huhu
I did.. just after you had ridden past haha.. but i recognised ur face :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes: :retzielikes:
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

you may have been distracted by the lamborghini i was riding :teef:
quick

Post by quick »

lol Huge
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
deviant

Post by deviant »

andy_hoffman wrote:Each to their own.. i was just asking in case somebody had a proper reason to be riding a fixed gear bike. I'm just someone who's never done things because it's cool (well not since i was bout 12 in my Cross Colours days haha). I hate trends and i just find it frustrating how many sheep there are that can't think for themselves and just do things cos everyone else is doing it and it's "cool" at the moment.
DID YOU READ THE LINK???

god, there's plenty of good reasons... I have a new muscle! It's just above my knee, and was NOT there before lol
aroes

Post by aroes »

haha i fucking love sheldon brown

"much vituperative invective has been uttered in this regard between different schismatic cults"

that's him on the subject of bicycle chains
deviant

Post by deviant »

his website is awesome... one stop shop for all bike related info.