bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
huge
old boy

Re: bikes

Post by huge »

so anyone want any awesome bike gear from Euro Asia? campy group? new rims? tires? daccordi frame?

http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

How campy are we talking?
Don't hate me for house
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

yeah, I'll take a couple of Campag 20011 Super Record ensembles... one for my dry bike, one for my wet bike - please mate... ;)

No, I'm fine - thank you.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

can do you 2 for 4.5k :P
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Lord a'Mercy!
aroes

Post by aroes »

Decent ride today

Got on a train from Heidelberg to Eltham with a view to do the Kinglake climb. Got lost, headed back to Research and had a pie and coffee

Ended up riding from there back to Coburg. Lower Plenty and Rosanna Rd both have some pretty demoralising hill and dale. Turned out to be a satisfying ride but would def have preferred to be up in the hills doing some proper climbing

Bring on the delivery of my HTC. Not the first time I've planned an epic only to be let down by a route saved as a message on my phone and back roads with poor signage. Needs moar GPS
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

download cardio trainer once you get it. record that shiz
aroes

Post by aroes »

lol na fuck that

i'm already ocd enough without keeping constant tabs on my heart rate

maps will do me just fine
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Is it good hugh?
Don't hate me for house
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i dont use it for heart rate shiz. you need a bluetooth thingy for that. i just use it to record the path and speed and elevation and all that.

it auto updates to google health too!
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Yeah my heart doesn't have bluetooth either.
Don't hate me for house
aroes

Post by aroes »

huge wrote: i just use it to record the path and speed and elevation and all that.

it auto updates to google health too!
Ah right that sounds pretty handy, I thought you meant it was just some health monitor thingo

Was gonna get a Garmin 800 purely for the maps. Wanna get into big bike tours and yeah as I said, day rides suck when you get lost

If the HTC can effectively do everything the Garmin does that would be sick. Save me about $400. I know the features are all there, I guess it'd be more a case of being able to mount the thing properly and use the touchscreen on the fly with good visibilty
retzie

Post by retzie »

aroes wrote:Was gonna get a Garmin 800 purely for the maps. Wanna get into big bike tours and yeah as I said, day rides suck when you get lost

If the HTC can effectively do everything the Garmin does that would be sick. Save me about $400. I know the features are all there, I guess it'd be more a case of being able to mount the thing properly and use the touchscreen on the fly with good visibilty
Do you really need a map while you're actually riding? Sounds like you'd just like to be able to sort things if you get lost. This is easily done by caching maps to your phone, so you don't need a signal to access them. I use Mobile GMaps, but I know smrt phones have a lot more options. CoPilot springs to mind (you gotta pay, but it's much schmancier.) A google for 'offline maps' or 'map cacher' will turn up lots :)
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
aroes

Post by aroes »

retzie wrote:
aroes wrote:Do you really need a map while you're actually riding? )
Would be good yeah. For big day rides it'd be extremely handy, for touring it'd be invaluable

What I've done up til now is work out a route on Google Maps and key it into my phone as a draft message. When I'm actually out on the bike this method sucks because obviously, reality looks alot different to a map. Continuations, turnoffs without signage etc are things that make me have to stop and figure out where I am and where I'm going, which is totes gheylord. I just wanna keep riding

A GPS unit with maps/navigation beeps at me when a turn is coming up, meaning I can stay focused on just riding, instead of constantly worrying about where my next turnoff is and potentially riding for ages up the wrong road

All the other things like cadence, hr, elevation, avg speed etc to me are just handy bonuses which TBH I prob wouldn't use. Def wouldn't rule it out though
aroes

Post by aroes »

Oh and BTW I took your advice re: Upfield rail trail

Haven't ridden up Sydney Rd in ages and I must say that upon evaluation of said amendment, I appear to be suffering from far less broken bones

:retzielikes:
CoB

Post by CoB »

i rode my bike for the first time today when i did now vomit shortly after after arriving at my destination.

i dont unsdersantds ahwa tha sapejns naow!!
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

my ride from Saturday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77286240

I need to do more hill work... kills me
aroes

Post by aroes »

How's the new bike?

What cassette does it run? If climbing is really killing you, maybe you could get a cassette with more teeth on the biggest cog. Mind though, when I first got my road bike I found the hills were overwhelming. I told the guy at my bike shop I was considering a 'granny gear' cassette and he turned his nose up and said "get some better legs"

Glad I listened to him now. Stuck with the 12/26 which is a fairly standard configuration and it's done the job getting me up climbs thus far (touch wood)

As I said a few posts back, we should go climbing together. My work roster is all over the place though and most of my rides end up being mid week. Next time I'm heading out on the weekend I'll give you some notice and we can try tee something up. There's some good climbing to be had your end of town (mine too, just moved to Coburg :wink: )
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Direkt wrote:my ride from Saturday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77286240

Look at that heart rate go!!

nice work mate

i did the BRW tri on Sunday. didn't train nearly enough for the massive 8km ride.

ha!

i sucked balls for the whole thing
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:How's the new bike?

What cassette does it run? If climbing is really killing you, maybe you could get a cassette with more teeth on the biggest cog. Mind though, when I first got my road bike I found the hills were overwhelming. I told the guy at my bike shop I was considering a 'granny gear' cassette and he turned his nose up and said "get some better legs"

Glad I listened to him now. Stuck with the 12/26 which is a fairly standard configuration and it's done the job getting me up climbs thus far (touch wood)

As I said a few posts back, we should go climbing together. My work roster is all over the place though and most of my rides end up being mid week. Next time I'm heading out on the weekend I'll give you some notice and we can try tee something up. There's some good climbing to be had your end of town (mine too, just moved to Coburg :wink: )
Cool man, by all means hit me up, always better riding with someone - as long as you don't spit me out the back early on!

Haven't got the new bike yet, still another 3-weeks wait. :?
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

Feigan wrote:

nice work mate

i did the BRW tri on Sunday. didn't train nearly enough for the massive 8km ride.

ha!

Top work homie, how were the "jelly legs" at the start of the run?
aroes

Post by aroes »

Direkt wrote: Cool man, by all means hit me up, always better riding with someone - as long as you don't spit me out the back early on!
hahaha not bloody likely
Feigan

Post by Feigan »

Direkt wrote:
Feigan wrote:

nice work mate

ha!

Top work homie, how were the "jelly legs" at the start of the run?
I hated the jelly legs!

found the rhythm and couldn't stop gnitraf the whole way around!
aroes

Post by aroes »

Second tilt at Kinglake today. Didn't get lost this time lol

Eltham-Kinglake-Diamond Creek

Biggest day I've had on the bike by far. The ride from Eltham to the start of the climb was alot more difficult than I thought. Kangaroo Ground/St Andrews etc are pretty bloody hilly. Made it to the bottom though and after almost hitting the wall about 3/4 of the way up, got up it ok

Highlights were muffin and coffee at Smiths Gully general store which was farken top notch, and the VIEW. Holy shit the motherfucking view. No better way to deal with the pain of ascending a hill than to look out to your left over the Kinglake Ranges. As charred as it still is, it takes your breath away

Would do again
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Did you turn back at St Andrews?

Like this?
Don't hate me for house
aroes

Post by aroes »

na mang

i climbed kinglake
aroes wrote: Eltham-Kinglake-Diamond Creek
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Sweet!
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt wrote:I actually think I might be overseas when this ride is on Shagger. NYC and Cuba stylee!
oh nice... I can borrow your bike then!

#winning
aroes

Post by aroes »

:retzielikes:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:
Direkt wrote:I actually think I might be overseas when this ride is on Shagger. NYC and Cuba stylee!
oh nice... I can borrow your bike then!

#winning
oh really?
CoB

Post by CoB »

bahahaha!!
EDIT: actually been riding my bike a few "mornings" (mostly afternoons before work, they are mornings to me)
it is nice *nods*
though today I got stopped at a set of lights by (well, by the traffic light, but they talked at me while i was there) some wildlife type people.
i didn't know what to say, and then the light changed and so i went as fast as i could until i couldnt see them any more
then i was sore
o/ . . . \o . . . -o . o- . \o/ \o/
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

some people are just stupid
aroes

Post by aroes »

Sweet ride today. Direkt and yours truly climbed the 1 in 20 and The Wall

Not surprised it's called The Wall lol. Descending it was fun but riding back up it was a farken tough slog. Pretty sure Direkt's computer had us at about 20% gradient in some parts

Solid effort was had. I need a beer
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

good ride mate. I noticed a 17% incline at one point, it could have been higher... I'll upload the data and find out...

aroes is a much better climber than me! Climbing 'The Wall' almost killed me!

beer.
aroes

Post by aroes »

20% lol. I like to over estimate things. theclimbingcyclist.com reckons the steepest section is only about 10% hahaha

Either way it was a solid effort

Beer cracked! :kooislayer.:
obliveus

Post by obliveus »

Anyone doing Bike Around The Bay this year? We got a team if yer looking to ride with anyone. Queenscliff to Sorrento ferry. Should be a fun 210. :)
aroes

Post by aroes »

I was keen, but me and a mate are planning a tour to Sydney around that time

We haven't finalised dates yet, so I might have to keep that date free in case it falls in the middle of our schedule

Bummer, was looking forward to it......whack a ride report up here once you've recovered! :brohugs:
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

unfortunately the data is all messed up, on account of it bridging my last ride with this ride - and also missing the first km or so of the 1 in 20, but: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79438431

Dismiss the first 40kms, 1hr 26min, and that's us (with the first km or so missing due to trouble finding a satellite).
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Looking at getting some slicks for my Giant mountain bike as i only use it to get to school in the city these days and never take it off road. Sometimes when i go fast around sharp corners the tread on my tyres makes me lose traction and scares the shit out of me. I've been told that Vittoria and Schwalbe are two good brands to look at. Anyone got any other tips for me? Don't wanna spend anything crazy either. The wheels are 26 inch.
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
aroes

Post by aroes »

I've heard good things about Vittoria Randoneurs. See heaps of people using em. Got a feeling they only make em for 700c wheels though

When I commuted on a 26in MTB I ran a set of Geax Evolution which were awesome, but upon inspection of their website, it looks as though they've changed the tread pattern. If you can find a set of the older generation I'd def recommend them. If not maybe something like this could be the go http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=6&prod=23
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

andy_hoffman wrote:Looking at getting some slicks for my Giant mountain bike as i only use it to get to school in the city these days and never take it off road. Sometimes when i go fast around sharp corners the tread on my tyres makes me lose traction and scares the shit out of me. I've been told that Vittoria and Schwalbe are two good brands to look at. Anyone got any other tips for me? Don't wanna spend anything crazy either. The wheels are 26 inch.
:fixed for mb.c bike thread:

Looking at getting some slicks for my FIXIE bike. I've been told that Vittoria and Schwalbe are two good brands to look at. Anyone got any other tips for me? Don't wanna spend anything crazy either. The wheels are 26 inch.
...................................................................................................................................................
aroes

Post by aroes »

lol dude you're obsessed with the fixie hatred

read my post above

shouldn't be hard to find a set of slicks/semi slicks for 26in wheels
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Haha thanks mate. Didn't see your reply. Thought i needed to adjust the post to get a response :P

How much am i looking at for some of those approx?
aroes

Post by aroes »

the geax tyres i bought were about $60-$70 from memory

you could prob cop em cheaper online if you shop around

i rode everywhere, every day for 3 years on one set and they still have heaps of life left in em
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

if you were nice i would get them for you and only charge you cost price. :teef:
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

Sounds alright to me. Thanks aroes :)

Will pop into the mule and have a chat with ya soon Hugh ;)
mrj

Post by mrj »

he said "if you were nice".
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Hey guys

I'd like some recommendations for a bike seat. Basically it's for a single-speed commuter, a flat-bar road bike. I'm a bloke. When I bought this bike, it had one that looked pretty cool, but after a few days of riding caused pain and it kept getting worse, not normal "getting used to it"-pain either. I replaced it with a borrowed seat that I got from a friend, which has gel or something in it, and the pain went away but I have to give this one back. The gel was comfortable. What do you guys think about that, and other designs, such as the ones listed here:

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bicycleseats.html

I also would kinda like one that looks cool, if that's possible. Not looking to spend a bunch though.

Thanks
aroes

Post by aroes »

Saddles are always a bit of a 'luck of the draw' scenario......one that feels good for me may feel horrible for you

The safest bet would prob be to go with a popular brand. They're popular for a reason. Some good ones are Selle San Marco, Brooks, Selle Italia, Fizik and Prologo

Price is pretty much dependent on material. Things like exotic leather and carbon rails, neither of which you need, will burn a hole in your pocket

IMO if you want something that looks cool, you can't go past the vintage re-issue San Marco models. Alot of people reckon they're comfy, and they look awesome
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-san-marco ... eel-rails/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-san-marco ... eel-rails/

The 'ants pants' of saddles is Brooks. TBH I reckon they look gaudy and stupid, but heaps of people love em. Also they are fecking expensive
http://www.woolyswheels.com/shopping/im ... _black.jpg

I have a WTB on my roadie. Won't ever win a street cred comp, but does the job nicely

Maybe go down to Little Mule off Little Bourke St. Pretty sure they have some saddles in stock. Always better to buy something like that in the flesh as opposed to mail order, plus you'll be supporting a local

edit- don't get a saddle with gel. gel is shit

and....if you get a saddle that looks cool, someone will probably steal it :teef: