bikes

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Direkt

Re: bikes

Post by Direkt »

Lord! quote came in at $1928... store said they could probably do $1500 for me.

fingers crossed that the bloke who hit me is a decent guy.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Mad riding the last few days

Headed to Anglesea on Tuesday to a mate's joint and did a 30km loop round that area. Kind of boring and flat but nice surrounds

Left early Wednesday morning for Lorne, where we checked into the hotel he works at. Rolled out along the Great Ocean Road late that morning bound for Apollo Bay. Awesome riding to be had along that stretch. Never gets boring with constant undulations and blind turns, and that incredible view. Took a turn off not far out of Apollo Bay and did the Skenes Creek Road climb. Pretty amazing stuff. My mate did the climb too which was an impressive effort considering it was the first real hill he's ever done

Top mid week weekend. Also got absolutely hammered both nights haha. Will post a pic or two once I locate my phone charger
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

sounds awesome mate!
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

crikey mark lucky you are ok! stupid car drivers!

ive collected a few peds in the last 2 weeks. one of them i hit rather hard after he jumped out from behind a police van trying to get onto a tram that was about 4 trams back in a huge line of stationary trams. wtf man.

pedestrians in the cbd are just asking to be run into. if only they would make eye contact with you or at least look when they are j-walking.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
aroes

Post by aroes »

Yeah tbh in the city and inner suburbs, peds and other cyclists are your worst enemy

Ironic but true
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

the few times i have to ride in peak hour bike traffic, every time i'm terrified for 90% of the bike riders. they look like they are going to kill themselves constantly.

this looks like a bit of fun

rapha rides the black forest - http://vimeo.com/23900030
retzie

Post by retzie »

Direkt wrote:Lord! quote came in at $1928... store said they could probably do $1500 for me.

fingers crossed that the bloke who hit me is a decent guy.
Jeebus! At least it's only wallet injuries. Don't s'pose you're a member of Bicycle Victoria? Crash insurance ftw.
huge wrote:pedestrians in the cbd are just asking to be run into. if only they would make eye contact with you or at least look when they are j-walking.
I don't know how anyone can be comfortable being so clueless about their surroundings :x. How many crash stories do you hear that start with someone running to a tram and/or from between large vehicles?

I'm all cozy back in my walk-everywhere zone now. Dunno if I could deal with the stress of bike+city again...
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
aroes

Post by aroes »

huge wrote: this looks like a bit of fun

rapha rides the black forest - http://vimeo.com/23900030
haha i am the biggest rapha fanboy....really nice kit, fairly pricey though. northside wheelers ftw 8)

those videos they do are quite well done
aroes

Post by aroes »

And yeah while we're on the subject, I reckon the bike commuters of Melbourne need some serious schooling

The amount of totally whack shit I see people doing on my commute down the Upfield path and Royal Pde every morning is staggering

Running red lights, swarming cars at intersections, shoaling, entering a lane of traffic without looking/giving way. How some of these people make it to and from work every day without dying is beyond me.

Another big pet hate of mine is the 'commuter racer'. Mostly young males whom you can tell never ride anywhere other than to and from work, and treat the ride like it's the bloody final 10km in the Paris Roubaix. No regard whatsoever for what's going on around them, and pedalling their generally unfit arses off to prove a point. One thing they do incessantly is half wheel you while you're moving at speed. So fucking dangerous. All it takes is a slight twitch of the handlebars and both riders are in a world of shit. Makes me v angry
deviant

Post by deviant »

also, the state of some of the bikes I see around town is god-awful. squeaky wheels/brakes, rattley drivetrains, loose chains, rust, badly set up seat height etc etc... It's not that hard to maintain your bike.

Plus, the amount of people that look so awkward on a bike, no skills, no idea which gear they should be using, general wobbles etc. Makes me lol/cringe/worry for their saftey. At least I'm fairly agile on the bike, some of these people would be in dire straights in a sticky situation.
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

lol yeah, this morning i could hear this dude on a very squeeky bike peddling like mad behind me. he was riding beside me every now and then and if he was in the right gear he would have probably been able to overtake me. his chain sounded like it was going to snap any second but i left him behind up the slight incline on barkely street. wanted to race me hardout.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

retzie wrote:Jeebus! At least it's only wallet injuries. Don't s'pose you're a member of Bicycle Victoria? Crash insurance ftw.
Bicycle Victoria are a waste of time. Not a member, no - but I did ring them.

I was told that even if I was a member they would only pay for medical bills - no property. I then asked, "but doesn't mandatory TAC 3'rd party personal already cover that?". To which she replied, "yeah".

So the only thing BV cover is if you fall off your bike by yourself and are physically hurt - or if it's a non car related accident. I.e. the type of accident that is going to most likely results in not much of a claim, unless you're a downhill rider.

The only worthwhile thing from my point of view is that they offer legal advice. Not representation, but advice.

Pretty retarded tbh.
retzie

Post by retzie »

Huh, I thought they did your bike too :?

I think medical is still handy for non-car accidents. Cleaning up a pedestrian or stacking into another bike can be $$$.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

yeah, chances of me having a pedestrian or another bike related accident are fairly slim (touch wood). I don't ride inner city.
aroes

Post by aroes »

If I'd had BV membership before I experienced maximum injury woes last year, I would've been covered for income protection. I didn't, so had to live on Centrelink injury allowance for a few months

I now have a BV membership
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

i too have BV membership
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

Hey Huge what were those bike locks you recommended a few pages back and do you have any in stock?
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

hey yo man! sorry just saw this! we do not stock the abus locks or the kryptonite locks! but both the mini locks they do are rly good.

pic unrelated

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

Hatsudai wrote:Hey Huge what were those bike locks you recommended a few pages back and do you have any in stock?

this is the only lock for me from here on in. legitimate contender for the use of amazeballs.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

bike repairs paid in full by the offender... all praises be....
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

nice!

sash that lock looks ok, bit bulky and awkward tho!
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

i'll take it over any of the kryptonite locks i currently have, no question.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

^^ thanks guys for the lock info, bought one for about 40 bucks, My ride aint a fixie/super snazz bike so hopefully the lock is adequate......
nic

Post by nic »

i would take one of those locks if i could get my hands on one
looks ideal
carting a giant chain and u lock around is tiresome
aroes

Post by aroes »

nic wrote:i would take one of those locks if i could get my hands on one
looks ideal
apparently you can?

check the link, pledge options to the right

Direkt wrote:bike repairs paid in full by the offender... all praises be....
nice! is it in the shop yet? get yer winter kit on and come for another ride!
nic

Post by nic »

isnt it a pledge to get it developed though?
cant buy outright afaik
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

aroes wrote:nice! is it in the shop yet? get yer winter kit on and come for another ride!
In the shop, yes. Just going to take 4-6 weeks to order the forks in unfortunately. I'll keep you posted.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

I lock my bike with goodwill and sunshine.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

Hatsudai wrote: My ride aint a fixie/super snazz bike so hopefully the lock is adequate......
plus, you live in Japan :D
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

^^hactually back in Melbs...... :D
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

JAMESSSS wrote:I lock my bike with goodwill and sunshine.
i do that sometimes. or i will camoflague it up against a shit bike and people cant see it!
aroes

Post by aroes »

aroes

Post by aroes »

edit- double post oops
Last edited by aroes on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Northbound Sydney Rd last night, about 12.25am on my way home from work

Wasn't far from my joint, a bit past Mitchell St from memory. Suddenly noticed a car to my right travelling EXTREMELY close to me, and making an effort to hover beside me instead of getting up to speed. The driver kept drifting left, to the point where I was about to be squashed between his car and the cars parked to my left. At this point, one of the passengers leant out the window and with an open palm went WHACK on the side of my head. Quite fucking hard. I let out an almighty "FARK!!", and as I looked up, the driver absolutely floored it, switched his lights off and made an abrupt right turn without indicating, cutting off the southbound traffic who had to hit the skids to avoid hitting him. He disappeared up the street he'd turned into doing what must've been about 100kph, with his lights still switched off. By the time I'd gathered myself there was no hope of getting his rego number

By now I'm used to dickheads at night trying to shout me down and give me a scare, but this was fucking next level. Frightened the absolute shit out of me and left me pretty shaken. How I kept my bike upright is beyond me. Definitely wasn't a product of skill or bike handling, rather sheer luck

Bunch of utter horrible cunts
publicworks

Post by publicworks »

That's super fucked up, there are some truly awful people out there.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Tell me about it

Yelling at someone from a car to scare them for japes is one thing, but HITTING SOMEONE IN THE HEAD for no reason whatsoever then fleeing from the scene endangering a bulk amount of people is blatant mentalism
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

some people are just plain fucking wankers. that sucks mate, lucky it didn't end worse for you - unlucky you didn't get rego.

a couple of months back I had some fuck nut throw an apple or a pear or something to that effect at me whilst driving past, hit me in the side of the head - I had done nothing to deserve it either. some people are just fucked, and think themselves super tough inside their car with you on your bike. infuriating.
aroes

Post by aroes »

Yep have had that too. Ages ago coming home from work felt something kind of tap my helmet as a car passed. Got up the road a bit and noticed something seeping down the back of my neck. Was an egg. Cunts

These people are adults ffs
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

allegedly
deviant

Post by deviant »

that is so fucked up mate... would've pissed me off proper. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt though
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

fucken wankers crikey aroes. a couple of years back i was riding home with someone, we were riding next to each other in the bike lane up drummond st in carlton. a car drove up next to us and dude in rear passenger seat got out of the window so he was sitting on the window ledge bit and PUSHED my friend so she swerved into me. only just managed to set ourselves straight otherwise both of us would have ran square into the back of a parked car and totally fucked ourselves. i caught up to them at the roundabout and he cut into the bike lane and slammed the brakes on so i hit the back of his car.

why on earth poeple behave like this is beyond me. would like to smash their face in with my bike tho. cops did nothing btw i called them with the rego and all.
aroes

Post by aroes »

It just doesn't end

Descending Kinglake today. Was about halfway down the hill and absolutely fanging along, probs around 60kmh which is the speed limit at that particular part of the road. Was right smack in the middle of my lane (it's one lane each way) leaning into a loooong sweeping left hander. This retarded mole in a Mazda decides this is a choice moment to PASS ME. This is incredibly dangerous due to the fact that it's a blind corner with big stone cutting on one side and sheer cliff on the other. In all her intellectual glory, she decides to negate any possibilty of her having a head on with an approaching car by squeezing through IN THE SAME LANE as me. Remember, I'm right in the middle of the lane. Not only did she almost kill me, but she also had enough hand eye coordination left over in the heat of the moment to get on the horn as she tore past me

As per my last tale of woe, I let out a primal scream of sheer terror, and the fact that I kept my bike upright is a minor miracle

Yo huge, I noticed you've got yourself a gopro. This is probs totes over the top and tbh I couldn't be arsed filming every commute, but there's an interesting thread on BNA forums with a solution to the problem you ran into re- reporting to the cops and them not giving two shits. This dude's formulated a template which I'm pretty sure he's used to full effect. Worth a read

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 53&t=38102
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

stupid bitch.

what is it with the mindset some wankers get when they're all encased in the safety of their steel cars, and you're on a bike?
quick

Post by quick »

drivers of cars can be stupid... fact

riding a bike on the road is a risk... fact

this will never change... FACT

you make your choices lads. Dumb, stupid, drivers are always going to be there... you're playing with fire imo... but good luck to you

i spose what i'm saying is, you choose to take part in an excersise/activity/sport that has obvious risks... so unfortunately you will encounter these scenarios... end of the day, you are making this choice knowing that this is the case and this WONT change, so part and parcel innit...

i'm not havin a go at a good gripe, but the gripe is something you cant change, so what really is the problem?
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
publicworks

Post by publicworks »

Just because something does happen doesn't mean it should happen.
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

quick wrote:drivers of cars can be stupid... fact

riding a bike on the road is a risk... fact

this will never change... FACT

you make your choices lads. Dumb, stupid, drivers are always going to be there... you're playing with fire imo... but good luck to you

i spose what i'm saying is, you choose to take part in an excersise/activity/sport that has obvious risks... so unfortunately you will encounter these scenarios... end of the day, you are making this choice knowing that this is the case and this WONT change, so part and parcel innit...

i'm not havin a go at a good gripe, but the gripe is something you cant change, so what really is the problem?
That's just plain retarded logic.

So people shouldn't ride on the road because there's a risk that some fuckhead may be occupying the same piece of road as you on any given day? I'm sorry, but that's complete bullshit mate.

In following your logic, nobody should do anything - nor have any right to complain about anything, as there's risk involved with 99% of things we do.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

aroes wrote:It just doesn't end

Descending Kinglake today. Was about halfway down the hill and absolutely fanging along, probs around 60kmh which is the speed limit at that particular part of the road. Was right smack in the middle of my lane (it's one lane each way) leaning into a loooong sweeping left hander.
Why were you right in the middle of your lane? Surely on a road like that and knowing that there are idiots out there on the road you would ride close to the edge of the road. Would be safer for cars to pass you this way don't you think?
...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
aroes

Post by aroes »

andy_hoffman wrote: Why were you right in the middle of your lane? Surely on a road like that and knowing that there are idiots out there on the road you would ride close to the edge of the road. Would be safer for cars to pass you this way don't you think?
I was riding in the middle of the lane because I was moving at the same speed that car traffic should have been moving, and because I'm entitled to do just that

Mind you, I don't just go riding in the middle of the lane everywhere all the time just because I can. Like most cyclists, I generally stay as far left as is safe

The woman who passed me did it whilst speeding. If she wanted to pass me, she should have waited for a safe time to do so, ie- on a straight stretch of road where she could see what was coming the other way

The upshot of the situation was that by endangering my life, she managed to make it to the bottom of the mountain all of about 3 seconds faster than she would've by just waiting behind me doing the speed limit, or waiting for a safe moment to pass
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

aroes wrote:Yo huge, I noticed you've got yourself a gopro. This is probs totes over the top and tbh I couldn't be arsed filming every commute, but there's an interesting thread on BNA forums with a solution to the problem you ran into re- reporting to the cops and them not giving two shits. This dude's formulated a template which I'm pretty sure he's used to full effect. Worth a read

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 53&t=38102
yer man thanks for that. i have been recording a lot of my riding since getting the gopro. i've got a whole lot of rediculous pedestrian behaviour but not any cars being rly stupid (just the odd swerve into bike lane to get passed a right truning car etc).

when i get it back i will be recording even more! (i leant it to someone and they ran off overseas with it wtf huhu)
aroes

Post by aroes »

andy_hoffman wrote: ride close to the edge of the road. Would be safer for cars to pass you this way don't you think?
And no, not necessarily. The general consensus among many riders is that in alot of situations (roundabouts are a good example), it's better to 'claim the lane' to discourage drivers from attempting to squeeze past, potentially side swiping you and running you off the road......this is the approach I was using, but this idiot thought she'd still try to thread the needle as it were, and it almost ended very badly

At the end of the day, I stand by the way I was riding 100%. I was adhering to the road rules and being respectful of those around me. She most definitely wasn't. She demonstrated impatience and extreme negligence