the official console and PC nerdy thread!

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
mecka

Re: the official console and PC nerdy thread!

Post by mecka »

Well aware of that but Bioware do no wrong with role playing games - it's all they make and if you go back through their track record this seems pretty foolproof...

Mass Effect
Knights of the Old Republic
Jade Empire
Neverwinter Nights
Baldurs Gate.

I've never been able to fault them on anything that they've done.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

It is their first MMO tho, which could change things a little.

Am really amped for Dragon Age: Origins though...
mecka

Post by mecka »

Everybody's got to start somewhere. WoW is Blizzards first modern RPG, let alone their first MMO - and look at the way that turned out.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

True - and looking at the videos, it could be really cool.

Im spending enough time and money on age of conan though, dunno if i can afford another mmo...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hi guys.
before i say anything, yes im a mac user.
okay now that's out of the way.

im having troubles with office word 2004.
when im at home, we use wireless to connect to net, and when i try to open word docs, i get a message saying
'you have a copy of microsoft office licensed to My Name (i have no idea what My Name is?, mine is lisecned to 'Travis")
and this exceeds the number of copies permitted blah blah. There is a ok button and it takes you to this page

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx? ... c182231033

Now. I can only find one copy of office 2004 in apps, the Travis one. The one that has always been fine.

The strange thing is, when im at work, using wireless with others on the network etc, word works fine.
I would have thuoght these two things are not connected, but they seem to be?

Does anyone know what the fuck is going on? I work from home 2 days a week and this is totally making this impossible.
the mac forums are no help cos they assume you paid for office. ahem.

:(
mrj

Post by mrj »

pay for office.

fixed.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

:roll:

thx. helpful.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Uninstall Office and install OpenOffice.

Fixed.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

really? its freeware that does the same as all of office?

if its that easy, why does anyone buy office?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Because it isn't as good as Office.

Not quite as polished.

Does some funky stuff with formatting Office files sometimes.

But if you don't want to pay then it's a good free option.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

mm.

was hoping for just sorting out the copy of word i have that has worked for the last five years tbh.

is there any mac heads on here anymore?
Amick

Post by Amick »

no they all went back to PC coz they're better!

:wink:

:teef:
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Does anyone else at your house have a MAC or have office installed?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Well yes, and this is the issue i think.

a new mac just moved in, and only since then do i get this message.
we share the wireless network, but its not like we are using the same anything else.

then at libertine, its often a mac orgy, like five diff macs, all on same network, and no issues. ?

im so confused.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

You will be using the same license key as the new mac at your house. As it is only a single user license it will only let you open up Office if the other person doesn't have it open.

It will be OK at work because everyone has different license keys to you.

You could try preventing your computer and the new mac talking.

Or more realistically either you or the new Mac could get a new license.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

I thought this might be the case. Still not sure why the new guy's word has the same license key as me?

As far as i know, they dont talk!

But yes, i will work with him on wtf is going on, he is moving out in a month so possible problem solved THEN, but not now hehe

thanks jamezzzzz

;)
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Kitty if I was in the same situation I would try completely uninstalling office on my mac and re-installing another version i.e. "Buying" ahem (Downloading) Mac Office 2008. You could also try opening office and going to "about word (office)" or whatever it is on both Macs and looking at if you both do indeed have the same serial? Perhaps by some off chance you both downloaded from the same place?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

ghetto kitty wrote:I thought this might be the case. Still not sure why the new guy's word has the same license key as me?

As far as i know, they dont talk!

But yes, i will work with him on wtf is going on, he is moving out in a month so possible problem solved THEN, but not now hehe

thanks jamezzzzz

;)
It's like when you buy a dope pair of kicks but then your flatmate gets the same colourway and then only one person can wear them out at once.
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

Jinx wrote:Kitty if I was in the same situation I would try completely uninstalling office on my mac and re-installing another version i.e. "Buying" ahem (Downloading) Mac Office 2008. You could also try opening office and going to "about word (office)" or whatever it is on both Macs and looking at if you both do indeed have the same serial? Perhaps by some off chance you both downloaded from the same place?
Yah i tried some of that last night, i has a mac office test drive on in my apps too, and this had an uninstall thingie,
but when i searched my HD for versions, it only said
office 2004 and office X
then i treid to uninstall the x and nuttin happened. could not find any other versions either, the 'about' didnt tell me anything, not even that there WAS an X version. wierd.

and, my office was given to me by a friend 5 years ago, and i have only put it onto my new lappy since,
no other copies/versions etc.
the new mac guy is from the states, just moved here, i just cant see how our macs are fucking and geting herpes, it doesnt make sense.

jamesss - it is totally like that, but when he wears his, my feet are amputated instead.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

You will both using the same license key. It's a coincidence.

As the license is a single user license when you open Office it says "oh, let's just check if anyone on my local network is using this license." The other mac says yes I am. Your Mac gets huffy and gives throws the error message.

Try it

a) with his Mac off
b) with his Mac on, before he starts Office
c) with his Mac on, Office open, but his wireless off
d) with his Mac on, Office open, his wireless on, your wireless off.
e) with his Mac on, Office open, his wireless on, your wireless on.

I would assume a,b,c,d would work e would not.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

I switched to open office for mac and PC last year... best thing I ever did...

a few minor formatting issues between MSoffice and OpenOffice, but nothing to really complain about though.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

a HA! that makes sense jamessss...

THANKYOU! will try.

dan - i see. if i cant work it out i may swap to open, but formatting does my head in at the best of times anyhow cos im on mac so we will seeeeeee
deviant

Post by deviant »

on other geeky notes... I'm about to install linux on my PC.. fuck knows why :? lol
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

you should dual boot.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
enak

Post by enak »

huge wrote:you should dual boot.
so def. this :wink:
"I've never been a fan of virtuoso/performance displays of skill, to be honest; wanky guitar-solos get on my tits. I want music that moves me, not that impresses me."
quick

Post by quick »

do it dan... DUAL BOOY FTW!!!
I kissed a squirrel and I liked it... taste of her acorn chapstick
deviant

Post by deviant »

yep, dual boot in full effect....

man, I cannot believe how much easier and trouble free installing ubuntu is than installing windows XP omg NO drivers have been installed whatsoever and everything is working perfectly. I still can't get my monitor and video card to run properly in windows... was doing my fucking head in.
mecka

Post by mecka »

Can somebody explain to me in laymens terms what is better about/appeals about linux compared to winnows? Aside from the obvious flaws in windows.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Dual boot is for half committed pussies

deviant

Post by deviant »

mecka wrote:Can somebody explain to me in laymens terms what is better about/appeals about linux compared to winnows? Aside from the obvious flaws in windows.
I just got a new PC....

I installed windows XP SP3 last week, it's a pain in the arse... drivers, drivers and more drivers.. I still couldn't get my new 24" monitor to look any good (was blurry, not filling the full frame etc.) was doing my head in. I was starting to think I had a dud monitor except for the fact it worked on my old PC... so I though I had a dud video card... blah blah blah...

I installed ubuntu yesterday... it just worked, monitor looks great without any adjustment whatsoever, even my M-Audio delta sound card worked without any driver intallation. Straight onto my wireless network, again without any driver installation. I still need to learn my way around it, but I'm getting used to it already.
SDF1

Post by SDF1 »

linux pro's etc:

-shit runs alot faster in linux (well native applications).
-you're in an open source environment, so any software you need is devoid of any licensing/piracy/haxoring concerns (cos its all free).
-malware and viruses are virtually non-existent.
-software repositories are integrated into the OS, so if you're like, 'i need a photo editing app', open up the add/remove apps and search for 'photo editing', select from the options and it installs automatically.
-following from the above point, any software updates to installed applications are centralised, so you can keep all your installed software across the board up to date without having to visit every website for every application on a semi-regular basis.
-adding new software doesn't bog your system down till it runs like balls (unlike windows). so once you've got it set up once, you shouldn't need to reformat your pc ever again. (except if your hardware fails)
-its free, forever.
-its easy to install.
-its scalable for performance, so you can get out that 10+ year old pc or laptop collecting dust and not have to install windows 98 on it.
- JACK (which is the native audio platform for most linux music apps) is amazingly good, kinda like ReWire on steroids. Allows you to patch any audio or midi from one music application to anything else that uses audio/midi (locally or over a network).
- Can optimise everything to get crazy low latencies for audio. (matters to some folk)

the major reasons why you wouldn't want linux installed are:
- some drivers are borked ie. motu soundcards :|
- not as many games run on it.
- doesn't have native ableton/resolume/photoshop/office support (although alternatives for most of those exist, and if the computer is beefy enough, you can run virtualisation software [ie. WINE] for the others).
- ur mad n00bish, ie. don't know how to read manuals or troubleshoot shit on forums.
- cbf
No synthesizer too arpeggiated, no disco too italo.
http://www.messycreations.com
http://soundcloud.com/sdf1
deviant

Post by deviant »

yeah, I looked into programs that auto-update all your drivers etc for windows....

They want like $70US for them and they look hella bloaty/adware like... f4!L imo

oh, and they also only stay current for a year... fuck that for a joke.

I'm almost considering deleting my windows partition altogether, might give it a few months and see if I actually still use it of not.
deviant

Post by deviant »

http://ubuntuforums.org/

you can find any trouble shooting stuff on here generally
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

SDF1 wrote:linux pro's etc:

-you're in an open source environment, so any software you need is devoid of any licensing/piracy/haxoring concerns (cos its all free).
-malware and viruses are virtually non-existent.
-software repositories are integrated into the OS, so if you're like, 'i need a photo editing app', open up the add/remove apps and search for 'photo editing', select from the options and it installs automatically.
-following from the above point, any software updates to installed applications are centralised, so you can keep all your installed software across the board up to date without having to visit every website for every application on a semi-regular basis.
-adding new software doesn't bog your system down till it runs like balls (unlike windows). so once you've got it set up once, you shouldn't need to reformat your pc ever again. (except if your hardware fails)
-its free, forever.
-its easy to install.
-its scalable for performance, so you can get out that 10+ year old pc or laptop collecting dust and not have to install windows 98 on it.
- JACK (which is the native audio platform for most linux music apps) is amazingly good, kinda like ReWire on steroids. Allows you to patch any audio or midi from one music application to anything else that uses audio/midi (locally or over a network).
- Can optimise everything to get crazy low latencies for audio. (matters to some folk)

the major reasons why you wouldn't want linux installed are:
- doesn't have native ableton/resolume/photoshop/office support (although alternatives for most of those exist, and if the computer is beefy enough, you can run virtualisation software [ie. WINE] for the others).
- ur mad n00bish, ie. don't know how to read manuals or troubleshoot shit on forums.
- cbf
I agree with all of the above, and even mad n00bish peeps shouldn't have any problems with modern distros.

Personally I have to say i prefer ubuntu to os-x even
retzie

Post by retzie »

I am looking to do some 3D animation for work-related stuff. I've had a few programs recommended by others in my field, but given imminent danger of unemployment, I'd prefer to go with something potentially transferrable to a real job.

What'd be a handy program to come to grips with? I have no idea what jobs I would actually be angling for, but space and surfaces are my thing and I'm used to thinking in 7 dimensions, so yeah.... Needs to run on a mac too.

:?:
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
deviant

Post by deviant »

retzie wrote:.......but given imminent danger of unemployment,

wah???

system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

retzie wrote:I am looking to do some 3D animation for work-related stuff. I've had a few programs recommended by others in my field, but given imminent danger of unemployment, I'd prefer to go with something potentially transferrable to a real job.

What'd be a handy program to come to grips with? I have no idea what jobs I would actually be angling for, but space and surfaces are my thing and I'm used to thinking in 7 dimensions, so yeah.... Needs to run on a mac too.

maya would be the one to start with on mac os x.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

playing devil's advocate.
SDF1 wrote:linux pro's etc:

what does? not always true - firefox is an example that comes to mind.
SDF1 wrote:-you're in an open source environment, so any software you need is devoid of any licensing/piracy/haxoring concerns (cos its all free).
just because the os is oss, doesn't mean the applications are. malware gravitates towards the largest market segment.
SDF1 wrote:-malware and viruses are virtually non-existent.
completely untrue.
SDF1 wrote:-software repositories are integrated into the OS, so if you're like, 'i need a photo editing app', open up the add/remove apps and search for 'photo editing', select from the options and it installs automatically.
that's only true for some distributions of linux (debian/ubuntu, fedora and suse).
SDF1 wrote:-its free, forever.
it is free.
SDF1 wrote:-its easy to install.
true, nowadays.
SDF1 wrote:-its scalable for performance, so you can get out that 10+ year old pc or laptop collecting dust and not have to install windows 98 on it.
somewhat true, there are distributions aimed at those hardware requirements.
SDF1 wrote:- JACK (which is the native audio platform for most linux music apps) is amazingly good, kinda like ReWire on steroids. Allows you to patch any audio or midi from one music application to anything else that uses audio/midi (locally or over a network).
true.
SDF1 wrote: the major reasons why you wouldn't want linux installed are:
true, but emulation lets you do a lot of the above.
SDF1 wrote:- doesn't have native ableton/resolume/photoshop/office support (although alternatives for most of those exist, and if the computer is beefy enough, you can run virtualisation software [ie. WINE] for the others).
wine is not an emulator.
SDF1 wrote:- ur mad n00bish, ie. don't know how to read manuals or troubleshoot shit on forums.
- cbf
tl;dr tbh

/harshreality

the quality of linux distributions is getting increasingly better, to the point where i'd expect to see a major change in os usage stats next year.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

mecka wrote:Can somebody explain to me in laymens terms what is better about/appeals about linux compared to winnows? Aside from the obvious flaws in windows.
  • it's a true multiuser operating system
  • it's a true multithreaded operating system
  • driver support is built into software packages
  • there a lot of commercial businesses putting large development hours into writing and releasing software for the platform (adobe, google, nokia, amd, et al)
  • comparative software is generally available as an alternative to the windows counterpart
  • why pay for an operating system?
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

It makes you feel mad elite.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

JAMESSSS wrote:
:scr1pt:

I like how oli says "Aside from the obvious flaws in windows"

doesn't sound like you need convincing there ol-ster
SDF1

Post by SDF1 »

the devils advocacy you provide is accurate.
This tbh.
No synthesizer too arpeggiated, no disco too italo.
http://www.messycreations.com
http://soundcloud.com/sdf1
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Snow Leopard just arrived!
Don't hate me for house
mrj

Post by mrj »

hmmmm, yeh i was thinking maybe of upgrading. pretty minimal cost i suppose.
He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

Didn't you just buy your mac? It's like $9 if you did.
Don't hate me for house
retzie

Post by retzie »

system wrote:maya would be the one to start with on mac os x.
Sweet, that was top of my list already :)

deviant wrote:
retzie wrote:.......but given imminent danger of unemployment,

wah???

Okay, so 'imminent' to mean 'fuck-all job prospects beyond current placement', not 'about to lose my job'. May unemployment, here I come :?
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Installing Snow Leopard now...
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

you're an Ubuntu?/XP double boot?
deviant

Post by deviant »

Vs

I can see the resemblance tbh