My 10 most important albums of the decade 2000 - 2009

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
Lil MiSbreaks

Re: My 10 most important albums of the decade 2000 - 2009

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

DBoy wrote:Parov Stelar - Seven and Storm (2005)
This album seduced my soul when I first heard it... Jazz. The music answers questions I have always asked myself about the the depths of my feelings, it does so like classical music does, but it does it with beats that I can relate to. The music here does not just tell stories, it captures emotions, it draws upon my darkest heartbreaks and moments of pleasure and reminds me of them. It teaches me about them. I heard someone describe this album once as a contradiction - and it is true - because it is both 'simple' and 'interesting'. Seemingly impossible, but here it is. Parov is Austrian - I don't know why i find that important, but it seems to make sense. It was always obvious that he wasn't American anyway... This album still seduces me each time I listen. If I have to walk to the train in the rain I put this on and the walk becomes epic. If I have to go to the shop on a day when the weather is indifferent, I can put this on and it become cinematic - it is THAT album, and I will always love it. It is what most trip hop wishes it could be. I wanted to include something from this area of my collection because it is an important style to me and this was the stand out (Krush is up there though). But this is Jazz.
I bought this album last week because of the above. Even played Spygame on New Years Day. :smt003

Thanks Dboy, im thoroughly enjoying listening to this album and it is changing depending on what im doing, or my mood. 8)
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Nice one Lil'Miss - there is a moodiness to that album which I find compelling. Sure it is not everyones taste, but of course YOU get it.
gnat

Post by gnat »

OK... mammoth post. Might need Brodie's Notes for it:

Seriously. This album changed my attitude to ‘rap’ in general. UK indie garage in generational music axis! Lee Satchel you baaastard! So good in so many ways. Let's Push Things Forward is my favourite tune on this album. The space in it is awesome. Slightly off kilter, off tune, but it works so well in that typical Streets way.

‘That ain't a bag it's shipment This ain't a track it's a movement’

The whole album transports me back to tubing it out to East London absolutely shattered after a massive Fabric bender, feeling like an absolute dog. The Streets were my salve. Plus, what else do you wack on when you’re ‘eading to a squat party in East London?

Weak Become Heroes has been a tune on the downside of many a large night with mrj and reflects the theme of the album so well- the unpolished but then totally polished working class concept of it.

I’ve listened to this album about a million times and know all the lyrics, all the pauses, all the little quirks and it stillll delivers. I’ve been to seen the Streets live 3 times and they’ve sucked major ass every time. Totally abominable live. Too many bongs I think. I digress.

Juuust sliding into the millenial list is Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia by the Dandy Warhols. Released August 2000- a totally sound indie rock album that was the soundtrack of my life at the time. Everything the Dandys did after was meh imo. This album is so diverse- from the 5 minute+ tracks of Godless and Mohammed to the hokey little slide guitar ditty of Country Leaver and into the more well known party anthem Get Off, this album is good to the core.

I can never hear Horse Pills without thinking of driving into a country property for Earthcore many years ago. A whole queue of ravers gagging with anticipation. And that track was playing. Indeed we were rocking on the horse sized pills that weekend.

People love to shit on the Dandys but I truly love them. They’re sick live. And Thirteen Tales is so tight production wise and delivers on all levels for me, even if the Godless intro does sound suspiciously like Harrison’s My Sweet Love. I guess, if you’re going to lift a riff, make it a good one huh.

Go Dandys Go! But no Monkey House for me. Nothing was ever as good as this album.

Briding the Gap- The Black Eyed Peas (09/01/2000)

Ooooh. Jusssst scraped in as well. This is actually a bit revelatory for me- two hip hop albums in my top10- from someone who’ll tell you hip hip isn’t really their thing lol.

The Peas were so good before they sold out and added that talentless skank Fergie. This album was pivotal for me. I loved it immediately. It’s a fun album, well produced and the female vocals on weekends are better than anything Fergie has ever done.

This is an album that represents summer to me. Bring it out for a barbie and everyone will like it. Guaranteed mood lifter. I had no idea who they were when this came out- had just come to Melbourne and my boyfriend at the time brought it home, along with some mackin new Dali speakers.

Bridging the Gap was put on before every night out at the time. I still lose my mind with Release. Tuuuuuuune! Man, when I see the shit the BEP roll out these days it makes me weep. Mainstream rubbish. Musical regression. Wah!

Kid A- 2000

I love Radiohead. The Bends and OK Computer were wicked but Kid A is total brilliance imo. Hauntingly beautiful, this is music for quiet times, beautifully produced but sometimes it can take me to places I don’t want to go. Sometimes it is Saturday morning soul balm. Sometimes it is painful mournful; a dark misty moor. But always it is fabulous, evocative and mysterious.

Everything In Its Right Place and How to Disappear Completely are two of my favourite tracks ever. Brilliant. Released in 2000 and yet it still seems like yesterday. Maybe because nothing they’ve done since has been as good. For me anyway.

Fight For Your Mind 1995

My fave Ben Harper album. Politically and socially he gets his message across without being a wanker. I love all the tracks but Burn One Down is anthemic, even though I’m not a smoker. It’s 4pm on our balcony in Pokhara, Nepal, with a longneck of Tuborg and a plate of momos. A travel album that has taken me all over the world. Entwined with some fabulous memories and very close to my heart.

In Rotation was a massive album for me. A definite bridger between genres of music from a hard core breaks kid. It’s a summer album for me. Memories of dancing barefoot on the grass in the sun. 100% good times. I always think I’m sick of it but put it on and it still makes me happy.

Rhibosome’s self titled album was released in 2002 and they split soon after, depiste its success. Such a massive shame because they were f#cking awesome, having a truly unique sound. Sounds included dub,dancehall, jazz, swing and electro beat.

This energetic 3 piece had a stack of samplers, drumkit, turntables, effects units and an arsenal of percussion and they all rotated through the instruments playing fully live with no sequencing or Dat machines. Add a live sound engineer, who mixed it all with extra effects and filtering and they were siiiick.

I first heard this in a coffee shop in Brisbane when I was on holidays, living in Perth (where Rhibosome were from) at the time. I went and bought it straight away and it’s been played so many times. Everyone I know loves it and most of my friends have also bought it.

It’s heavily percussive but also has a lot of jazzy coolness. The final track HiFi is one of my all time favourite dance tracks. Needs massive subs to truly appreciate. We saw them play at Revs in their heyday and they absolutely tore that front room apart. People were dancing on the tables and go bananas. Visually so interesting and their sound was phenomenal.

I highly recommend this album to anyone. Dboy, you would love this.

Sorry, I can’t even find the album cover on Google to post.

Hold Your Colour- Pendulum - 2005

Ah a can of worms I hear you say. But this is my album list and this one is a cracker, whether it conforms to being ‘true’ drum and bass or not. My background is rock and that’s exactly why albums like this and Purple Funky Monkey and You Can Be Special Too appeal to me- there’s a lot of rock in them.

For starters, Hold Your Colour is such a great name for an album. Excellent message and the track is also totally win. Still Grey is Sat morning recovery with mrj and thing of happy. I love the intro pre Slam- very cinematic- I expect it to be accompanied by the rise of a heavy velvet curtain. Another Planet is my track for exercising when angry. What an absolute smasher. I nearly had heart failure when I first heard it.

Also. Does anyone remember seeing Underbelly for the first time and they used Tarantuala for the King St scene when Alphonse loses it and beats up all those people? Fantastic. Someone should buy the musical director of that show a beer. Frenzied frenzied frenzied. A perfect choice. And an absolutely cracking track.

The best thing was loving this album and not being one of the drum and bass crew because no one gave me a hard time about it pretending to be this or whatever. I remember wandering downstairs at Brown Alley years ago, pretty messed up and these guys were completely ripping the place apart. I was like ‘WTF- who are these guys?’

It was Pendulum. Stumbled upon. An enduring appreciation. And a guernsey for my list.

Second Sun- Calibre 2005

I love Calibre. Besides being a sick producer Calibre is one of the best DJ names in the business. This album is of a very high calibre and I thank it for being the one that has spurned many drum and bass purchases in the last year. Discovery came well after its release but it came. Thank God. And also Joe and Keir for playing so many of his tunes and sparking my interest.

I bought this at JB in Ballarat on sale for an insulting $15. Played it all the way home. Don’t you just love it when you buy an album you don’t know much about and it turns out to be awesome?

I love the cover art on this. I love the majesty of the title track. I love Kiya and its almost cinematic sound. Intelligent drums and basses? Yes. With strong Dub, Reggae, Funk, Jazz and Soul influences. Calibre I <3 you so.

And finally…

Finally, whether it fits the criteria or not The Stanton Session Volume 1 had to in here for me. Massively formative, totally important and indeed still absolutely rocking album. Tight as hell, great mixing, great track selection, the best MC job ever and so definitively breakbeat. If ever I was asked what breaks sounded like I’d give them this album. Is there anything more breakbeat than the Virus and Be Bop?

I still play it today and love it as much. The winddown into Runnin and Stone Cold is beautiful.These guys are the masters. And this album represents a time when breaks were absolutely on fire. So many good times and memories.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

There is one standout album for me this decade, In the Mirror of the Sky from Ali Akbar Moradi and Kayhan Kalhor

http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Sky-Kayhan ... B00027JYDU

Persian classical music. So haunting and beautiful... I guess unlike a lot of other stuff that was great or 'groundbreaking' or whatever in the electronic area, for me this is music for the ages, that I know I will continue coming back to
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Awesome thread! Really enjoying reading everyone's choices. :D
almax

Post by almax »

gnat wrote: Image

Fight For Your Mind 1995

My fave Ben Harper album. Politically and socially he gets his message across without being a wanker. I love all the tracks but Burn One Down is anthemic, even though I’m not a smoker. It’s 4pm on our balcony in Pokhara, Nepal, with a longneck of Tuborg and a plate of momos. A travel album that has taken me all over the world. Entwined with some fabulous memories and very close to my heart.
Decade FAIL :tard:

but nice read anyway Gnatwah
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i reckon picking 10 albums from a decade is almost an impossible task. or maybe my memory isn't that crash hot ... anyway in no order ones I've really liked

Kayne West - College Dropout
Yeah he's a douchebag but he wasn't always. This record is the most important hip hop release of the decade and maybe the best record of the era too.

The Stokes - Is this it
Just great and gets better with age. Unfortunately the band could never replicate it

At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Like a freight train - so much energy and power

QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf
I reckon this is the best QOTSA record - and they're all great

Daft Punk - Discovery
Has aged well. I remember hearing Harder Better Faster etc for the first time at Central station on Swanston and was like - whoa! I think in 30 years time this will be the dance record that is classed as definitive.

Interpol - Antics

Lot's of good memories of this one

Krafty Kuts - Fuzzy Breaks mix

Was loathe to put in a mix CD cos they generally don't date well but I listened to this all the time and wanted to DJ just like KK ... loved how he put a set together and loved how it was so single mindedly about the dancefloor but wasn't dumb or too obvious. Never really dug the Q45 mix although thought live he was very solid.

The shins - Wincing the night away

Got into these guys relatively late but what a great record. Sleeping Lessons is an amazingly beautiful song.

Franz Ferdinand - Self Titled

Cool sounds. Short songs. Sharp fashion. nothing nnot to like about FF.

Number 10 - not sure loads of goodies i've missed. Elliott Smith - XO, Sarah Blasko's Whatever the Sea Wants, Arcade Fire - Neon Bible, the first Reprazent album, sound of silver by LCD Soundsystem, Jay-Z Blueprint, Ratatat - classics etc
Blaxter

Post by Blaxter »

Nice on Ben -
Like a freight train - so much energy and power.

Such an awesome and passionate performance captured brilliantly in a studio setting.
gnat

Post by gnat »

lol al- true! distraction during the longgg process of putting together at work, with constant distraction

nice one on franz shep- remember losing my mind when i first heard take me out their new album is a cracker too
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

i agree gnat - FF are such a great band. i lost my mind with the first album and the next 2 have been really good too i reckon.
quiet roar

Post by quiet roar »

Blaxter wrote:Nice on Ben -
Like a freight train - so much energy and power.

Such an awesome and passionate performance captured brilliantly in a studio setting.
Yeah, an absolute ripper.
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well
deviant

Post by deviant »

In no particular order.....

Fantômas - The Director's Cut 2001

I would have put their first album in but was released in 1999 (although I never heard it until 2000). But, an album of horror movie soundtracks and themes is pretty damn cool. Seriously, these guys blew me away when I heard them... I've seen them live 3 times and each time it was fucking awesome and total and utter mayhem. I think they are the most technically precise band I have ever seen, and I have seen Tool, Tribal Tech and Dream Theatre before.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Eryka Badu - Mama's Gun 2000

Man, this chick is the most soulful and funky person on the face of the planet... loved the first album.. loved this one just as much. Every time I listen to her music I get totally energised.

Speedy J - A Shocking Hobby 2000

Well, this is just an insane album.. dark as all fuck and driving driving driving... I reckon this album has influenced heaps of breaks and other interesting beats over the last 10 years. I'd never heard anything like this and to be fair not really heard much like it since. Saw Speedy J at Two Tribes 2003 w00t!

Aphex Twin - Drukqs 2001

This is by far my most listened to Aphex Twin album. Full on experimental beats and sounds with flashes of groove and funk and techno rock explosive stuff. I particularly like the whole prepared piano idea, which of course he stole from John Cage but took to the next level as you would expect from Aphex Twin. The whole album pretty much goes... prepared piano, electronic, prepared piano, electronic etc throughout.. so I'll include two vids, one of each style. it's also a really long album (30 tracks)

Plump DJs - A Plump Night Out 2000

This Album pretty much got me into breaks, didn't hear it until 02/03 but fuck yeah... still a fave, every track is totally killer.

Gorillaz – Demon Days 2005

Damon Albarn is a genius, I pretty much love everything he's done. Love Blur, Love Gorillaz

Si Futures - The Mission Statement 2001

Si Begg is literally my fave producer. since most of the music is singles this is the only albu, (his album The Director's Cut wasn't my fave stuff) So Si Futures gets it.. I still play tunes off this now

Tabla Beat Science – Tala Matrix 2000

We used to call this album “The Bible” in our sharehouse at uni, it epitomised everything we loved about Indian classical music (of which we were students of) and electronica.. We listened to this really loud over and over again.. There's some WICKED tabla playing on here and some awesome beats, and great drums (all live). Long Live Bill Laswell, he is one of my biggest musical heros.

Justice - † 2007

Despite the almost untypable and unpronouncable album name this is a banging album. I was really getting into this sound after I heard this, which led me on to a heap of other french trashy electro stuff.

Burial - Untrue 2007

This is one of those albums that you just go "wow"... I mean, the came out of no where, and just hit everyone accross the face with this shit. One of my mates described it to me as "sounds like aliens trying to make a version of human music". righte-o, so the description doesn't do it justice but hey, it's cool none the less.

Headhunter - Nomad 2008

This album is pretty much the epitome of tasteful dubstep. Sooooo good, I have listened to this too many times and played pretty much every track in a set multiple occasions, not very often I don't drop something from this album. Very light on the grand scheme of dubstep, minimal even but still very very dancfloor friendly :smt007

oops... this list goes to 11

Amick

Post by Amick »

Dan you like French trashy electro? :shock:

Hey ho, let's go!
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

have to agree dan, that justice record is killer and it stands up well a few years after release.
FoundationStepper

Post by FoundationStepper »

Hey Dan - re Speedy J's sound, have you listened to much scorn (e.g. the early stuff like greetings from birmingham?) I def reckon he set the grounds there, listening to the track you've linked. old master of the dark broken bass weight
deviant

Post by deviant »

^^ nah, haven't heard, I'll check it out...

I should have posted this for the Table Beat Science album,,,, I'll post it here instead because it is amazing

ah fuck it... the WHOLE album is awesome

Kaiproject

Post by Kaiproject »

digitalism album over justice for me :)

amazing production on both tho

eryka badu nice :D
spazz

Post by spazz »

This is seriously my all time favourite thread anywhere. Absolutely fascinating and I look at my post and grimace in the lack of effort.

Anyway nice one peeps, thoroughly enjoying.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

I agree spazz, i love checking it and seeing new entries. 8)

Fuck music is just the fucking best thing in the world. :smt007
Brain

Post by Brain »

Lil MiSbreaks wrote:Fuck music is just the fucking best thing in the world. :smt007
Perhaps you could do a top ten of 'fuck music'.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

Oh ppfff!! :lol: Clearly ommited a comma there didnt i.

Interesting concept tho.

Fat Freddy's Drop to start.... ha
Brain

Post by Brain »

I read an interview with Stevie Wonder where the interviewer asked him if he ever bonked to his own music. He replied, 'No, that would be too weird'.
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

:lol: I like it. It would be weird id imagine. altho, what about Marvyn Gaye? I wonder if he did the do to his tunes (that almost rhymes doesnt it!)

Matt Damon.
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Check out this article Resident Advisor did: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1144
Top 100 albums of the decade.
nic

Post by nic »

Hmm this is really hard - as expected, mine has ended up quiet one dimensional tbh. Alot of these I still listen to and enjoy - which im using as a measure of 'important' albums.

There isnt a great deal of 'rave' music I still listen to 10 years on tbh - hardly any 'albums' anyway. Its mostly confined to mix cds like Sasha and Digweed - Communicate, James Lavelle GU - Barcelona that still sound good but I cant hack them for more than 20 mins at at a time.

I have missed loads out im sure, but these came quiet easily.

Jaylib - Champion Sound
dilla and madlib do the best hiphop album of decade - packed full of amazing songs with big hooks and perfectly banging / not banging drums. Starz and The Red. zomg.

Dr Dre 2001
listened to this more than anything else according to my itunes.
still unsurpassed imo.

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
stoned, good memories, post rave weirdtime.

Clipse - Hell hath no fury
weirdish sounds. crack focused lyrics.

Danger Doom - The Mouse and the Mask.
Gog I loved this, especially this tune. Kind of slow ravey buzzy banging singalong.

Burial - Untrue
zomg.

Modeselektor - Happy Birthday
rave, but not ghye rave.

Layo and Bushwacka - Night Story
Breaks when it was good, before it turned into trance. Genuinely good album.

Dabrye - Two/Three
'experimental' simple synthy instrumental hiphop beats, the perfect follow on to the simpler instrmental only One/Three which I rate as much as Two/Three

Basement Jaxx - Rooty
Top quality top 40 fodder imo. Sick album, the day this kind of music becomes mainstream popular again will be a goog day.

argrhhh forgot this...
Tipper - TipHop
this was totally alone when it came out, still is.

J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

SUCH a hard decision. Off the top of my head...

Sasha - Airdrawndagger
Sasha's debut studio album. Utterly beautiful in every sense of the word. Changed my perception of electronic music. So much depth and emotion. Wavy Gravy still brings a tear to my eye.

Flying Lotus - LA
My introduction to Glitch (or however youd like to pigeon hole his sound). This album blew my mind, and still continues to do so. One of the very few hiphop/glitch type albums i can sit down and listen from start to end.

Burial - Untrue
If you've heard it, you'll understand :)

Hybrid - Wider Angle
Originally released as 'Wide Angle' in 1999, they later re-recorded it with a live string section in 2000. So it's kind of borderline! But fuck, what a phenomenal album. This album alone got me into prog and breaks. And it still holds its own to this date.

Plump DJs - A Plump Night out
Funky breaks in the hay day. Love love love.

Will have a think on the next 5. Memory overload.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

2001 came out in 1999 nic!

Well I hope it did, or it should be on my list too.

And I forgot all about Layo and Bushwacka. ooops.
Don't hate me for house
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

not necessarily a top 10 (cos I can't remember much of the early 2000's!) but each of these albums i was or, still am completely obsessed with:

The Album leaf- one day i'll be on time
Beautiful, intricate electronic music. To paraphrase Iggy Pop when talking about Neu! "when listening to The album leaf Ideas and thoughts seem to just flow from your head"

Klute - Lie, Cheat and Steal
Funny cos from 97 to 2005 80 percent of what I listened to was drum and Bass but this is the only album in my top 10.

Bonnie prince billy- master and everything
Wil Oldham has a way of talking that comes out as singing, and almost incidentally there is guitar under this talking. Master and everything is both completely depressing and yet uplifting at the same time.

The Flaming lips- yoshimi battles the giant robots

When I was teaching English I would listen to this album everyday on the way home from work. Amidst a packed train full of broken spirited japanese people commuting home from work this was my soundtrack to say "there is hope and tomorrow will be better"

Burial-burial+Burial-untrue

Couldn't choose one so I sneakily added both.. There is no grey area with Burial, its a love or hate thing and I, most definatley fall into the former category

Rumi- Hell me why

Weird, original, moving, funny, completely BAKA and probably in my top 3 of all time. Rumi is the antithesis of vapid pop music that dominates the charts in Japan and the fact that she is releasing music and has a fan base is a great thing.

Geiom- island noise

Each song on this album probably fits into the "dubstep" category but the thing that's amazing is how Geiom doesn't really overemploy the use of loops in his compositions, the structures of his songs progress and build in a fashion that's more that just building loops on top of each other.

Gnarles barkley- St Elsewhere

Great mix of pop and emotion- like nothing anyone has ever heard before.

Elvis perkins- Ash Wednesday

Maybe not the best folk going around but struck a chord with me. Don't listen to this album when you are depressed.

pivot-O soundtrack my heart

Fucking hell this is a good album. Perfect mix of Krautrock, glitch, new wave and a bit of crunchy guitar thrown in. At the moment I am obsessed by this album.

honorable mentions
High contrast- true colours, Lyrics born-later that day, Kode9- memories of the future, vexd- degenerate etc etc
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

nice one Hatsudai - plenty to explore there. Been using this as a base for purchases.
Lizkins
Junior Vice President

Post by Lizkins »

thread = awesome

this thread reminded me i wanted to get the Gorillaz album, so went and bought it and have not stopped listening....for weeks and weeks and weeks.

next i reckon i will go get Burial - Untrue. too many peeps have listed it not to go and get it and find out about its brillance
live your life like every week is shark week
click here fo fotos
breaksRbest

Post by breaksRbest »

I just wasted an hour typing my selection & review, only to be logged out when I pressed submit :?

here's the abbreviated version....

ILS - Bohemia - 2005
High Contrast - True Colours - 2002
Nubreed - The Original - 2004
Plump DJ's - A Plump Night Out - 2000
Fat Freddy's Drop - Based on a True Story - 2005
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas - 2008
London Elektricity - Billion $ Gravy - 2003
DJ Shadow - The Private Press - 2002
Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers - 2002
Blue Sky, Black Death - Late Night Cinema - 2008
I think I am, Therefore I am. I think
nic

Post by nic »

JAMESSSS wrote:2001 came out in 1999 nic!

Well I hope it did, or it should be on my list too.

And I forgot all about Layo and Bushwacka. ooops.
:oops:
jbs u pedant :x :teef:
yes dec 1999....

forgot Outkast - Love Below and Adam F - Drum n Bass Warfare hiphop remixes
gah and Strokes - Is this it...which i fucking loved (Last Night)
J Gal

Post by J Gal »

Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott 2000
I reckon i've listened to this around 100,000 times. And it always pulls my heart strings and lifts my soul like no other album

Burial - Untrue 2008
The album i fell in love with my boyfriend to.

Various Productions - hater/ biker 2005
Top class album for me, love love love it

Amp Fiddler - waltz of a ghetto fly. 2003
My favourite dance and sing out loud around the house album

Trinity roots - home, land and sea 2000
the album that makes me proud of my heritage

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - 100 days 100 nights 2007
best!

Fat Freddies Drop - Live @ the Matterhorn 2001
Love the memories that go with this album, falling in love with this band with lazy beers in Wellies, and the fact it's recorded at my all time favourite bar!

Postal Service - give up 2003
I'm not allowed to play this around Josh anymore, i've THRASHED it! Not sure why i love it so, i just do

Yeah, yeah, yeahs - fever to tell 2001
mmm maps moves me!

Reflection eternal - train of thought 2000
i just <3 anything Talib Kwali does really! And with Hi-tek = good times!

wow there's so many more i could add!! Best thread DBOY xx
These are the days of our lolz
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

J Gal wrote:
Postal Service - give up 2003
How could I have forgotten this? :smt007
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

breaksRbest wrote:Nubreed - The Original - 2004
DJ Shadow - The Private Press - 2002
Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers - 2002
Agreed on all 3!
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

nic wrote: forgot Outkast - Love Below and Adam F - Drum n Bass Warfare hiphop remixes
Well if you want to call me a pedant then:

Adam F Presents Kaos - The Anti-Acoustic Warfare was the original album, Drum and Bass versions were the remixes.

And I totally forgot about that too.

FUCK!
Don't hate me for house
nic

Post by nic »

jbs wins
agayn
pls halp me naow god

:scripteef:
gnat

Post by gnat »

this thread just keeps on giving!
J0rdz

Post by J0rdz »

Lizkins wrote:next i reckon i will go get Burial - Untrue. too many peeps have listed it not to go and get it and find out about its brillance
DO ITTTTTTTTTT. You wont be disappointed!
autumnleaves

Post by autumnleaves »

Wow... I'm kinda shocked that nobody else picked a Bjork album (that I saw), or a Sigur Ros album..

Interesting..
Lil MiSbreaks

Post by Lil MiSbreaks »

J0rdz wrote:
Lizkins wrote:next i reckon i will go get Burial - Untrue. too many peeps have listed it not to go and get it and find out about its brillance
DO ITTTTTTTTTT. You wont be disappointed!

Even I like it Liz. :shock: Actually, more than like, I really dig it.
Amick

Post by Amick »

After all this hype i'd laugh if you hate it Liz.
DBoy

Post by DBoy »

Hatsudai wrote:not necessarily a top 10 (cos I can't remember much of the early 2000's!) but each of these albums i was or, still am completely obsessed with:

The Album leaf- one day i'll be on time
Beautiful, intricate electronic music. To paraphrase Iggy Pop when talking about Neu! "when listening to The album leaf Ideas and thoughts seem to just flow from your head"

I have since bought this and have been playing it to my unborn child.
Truth.
Hatsudai

Post by Hatsudai »

DBoy wrote: I have since bought this and have been playing it to my unborn child.
Truth.
Cool!

Check out "In Safe Place", "Seal Beach EP" and"In an off white room" by The Album Leaf aswell. All fantastic records.
spazz

Post by spazz »

This thread makes me want to try again with a list, go through CD's, puter, youtube, external drives to sort out the definitive list for me.

But it feels like cheating. Damn it!!

Album leaf sounds interesting. nah fark it I am going to paraphrase old list, edit, update, with full youtube links.

When I get home that is. :D