The Paleolithic Diet

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.
bonsai

Re: The Paleolithic Diet

Post by bonsai »

deviant wrote:
Direkt wrote: although I don't think wholegrains (in moderation) are as bad for you as it makes out.
Funnily enough, there's evidence to suggest that we didn't get rotten teeth (caries/cavities) prior to processing of grains. It's the sugars in oats, wheat and barley that cause tooth rot (or attract the bacteria that cause tooth rot).
mmmmm frooty loops.

:tard:
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

deviant wrote:
Direkt wrote: although I don't think wholegrains (in moderation) are as bad for you as it makes out.
Funnily enough, there's evidence to suggest that we didn't get rotten teeth (caries/cavities) prior to processing of grains. It's the sugars in oats, wheat and barley that cause tooth rot (or attract the bacteria that cause tooth rot).
Reals?

There's not a whole lot of sugars in grain as it is... it's complex carbs, the opposite to sugar. Granted, their are some sugars such as maltose and dextrose etc.

Surely something else happened around the same time... such as the mass introduction of sugar?

I'm only guessing. I just find it hard to believe that grains are as bad as some people make them out to be, they also possess many positive qualities.

I've been eating grain like a mother fucker for 30 years - and I had my first ever (minor) cavity last year.
almax

Post by almax »

Carbohydrate = Greek word σάκχαρον (sákcharon), meaning "sugar".

AFAIK there are three forms of energy: sugars, protein and fat so all the carbs you eat get transformed into sugars, that why when you eat a bunch of pasta your blood sugars spikes. We need a nutricionist up in here.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

witty_pseudonym wrote:
nic wrote: Image
:smt005

please add as permanent smiley.
:brohugs:

bros need hugs :thumbup:
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
nic

Post by nic »

:brohugs:

:shock: :lol: :smt007
deviant

Post by deviant »

Direkt wrote:
deviant wrote:
Reals?

There's not a whole lot of sugars in grain as it is... it's complex carbs, the opposite to sugar. Granted, their are some sugars such as maltose and dextrose etc.

Surely something else happened around the same time... such as the mass introduction of sugar?

I'm only guessing. I just find it hard to believe that grains are as bad as some people make them out to be, they also possess many positive qualities.

I've been eating grain like a mother fucker for 30 years - and I had my first ever (minor) cavity last year.
you can't compare modern dental situations... we have tooth paste, floss, regular cleanliness routines and fluoridated water.

What I want to know is... where is the evidence that paleolithic man was healthier than me? They had markedly shorter life spans :? Like probably 35.. seems a bit meh to me
almax

Post by almax »

Fuck me, how could you ever expect understand it if you don't even click on links provided or even read my post DIRECTLY aimed at you...see quoted item below :tard: :lol:

repeat myself much
almax wrote:
deviant wrote:tbh, I don't know much about dieting... I know there's a shitload of diets with different names. Mainly weight-loss focused.

Going into that level of research for what is essentially basic healthy eating seems pointless to me. I dunno, eating healthily is something I find easy.

Ok ok, so essentially yes you can eat other 'diets' and get skinny or gain bulk or whatever you want, but the general principle behind this diet comes down to the diseases linked to modern processed food.
Its about eating the food that our bodies were designed to eat before we came along and changed it.
Potatoes, pasta etc were not in our diet, potatoes were toxic raw, refined grains did not even exist.
Q: Since hunter-gatherers lived a "nasty, short, and brutal life," how can we know if their diets were healthful or not? Don't their short life spans suggest a poor diet?

A: It is certainly true that hunter-gatherers studied during modern times did not have as great an average lifespan as those values found in fully westernized, industrial nations. However, most deaths in hunter-gatherer societies were related to the accidents and trauma of a life spent living outdoors without modern medical care, as opposed to the chronic degenerative diseases that afflict modern societies. In most hunter-gatherer populations today, approximately 10-20% of the population is 60 years of age or older. These elderly people have been shown to be generally free of the signs and symptoms of chronic disease (obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels) that universally afflict the elderly in western societies. When these people adopt western diets, their health declines and they begin to exhibit signs and symptoms of "diseases of civilization."
bonsai

Post by bonsai »

deviant wrote: you can't compare modern dental situations... we have tooth paste, floss, regular cleanliness routines and fluoridated water.
and we wonder why these days so many kids have ADHD.

fluoride may have been sold into dentistry, but this does not mean it is not detrimental to health to a high degree.

why is it that toothpaste containing fluoride warns 'do not swallow this product'?

eating healthily is easy eh?
Upcoming....
DNB Sessions Sundays 10.30pm // KISSFM.com.au // 87.6FM
Total Science - 26th June @ Mercat
deviant

Post by deviant »

omg fluoride conspiracy!
Direkt

Post by Direkt »

bonsai wrote:why is it that toothpaste containing fluoride warns 'do not swallow this product'?
I don't think it's the flouride component that's the reason behind their advise is it?

There's plenty of other chemicals found in toothpaste and mouthwash etc.
almax

Post by almax »

The fluoride in toothpaste is a much higher concentration than it is in town water.
And yes fluoride is most definitely the main reason why you dont swallow toothpaste, extensive consumption can cause fluorosis.

Basic toothpaste ingredients:

Active Ingredients:

Fluoride
Antibacterial agents, most often Triclosan is used to control plaque
Desensitizing agents
Anti-tartar agents
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
Enzymes, to enhance the antibacterial properties of saliva
Xylitol, a non-sugar sweetener, which reduces levels of cariogenic (decay causing) bacteria in the mouth and enhances remineralization
(Natural toothpastes may contain a variety of ingredients - anything from oil of ginger to seaweed extract.)
Inactive ingredients:

Water
Detergents, to make the toothpaste foam
Binding agents
Humectants to retain moisture
Flavoring, sweetening, and coloring agents like peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, wintergreen, and menthol
Preservatives
Abrasives for cleaning and polishing
flippo

Post by flippo »

almax wrote:Been thinking about switching to this recently, maybe have one day a week where i can eat whatever, but this just makes sense.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

Watch the posted video on YouTube.

almax

Post by almax »

:lol:

gold, is that the comedian from Taledega nights with Will Ferrell?
Also that real doctor guy, looks much less pasty in this one, perhaps he read this thread and started going to the solarium.