iPad

For all your off topic conversation requirements. No posts about gigs please, use the Music forum. As usual, no "NSFW" material, keep it clean.

Ipad

Getting one
8%
Not getting one
29%
Will wait and see what they are like
18%
Who cares
45%

Total votes: 38

shepherd

Re: iPad

Post by shepherd »

got a 3g one today ... nice device but can't access 3g over here without a US credit card :(
retzie

Post by retzie »

^ Do they specifically say that, or is it the whole 'won't accept without a zip code' thing? If it's the latter, try just putting in 00000.
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

retzie - not entirely sure but entered in my CC details and address and it wouldn't accept it ... can't enter a fake as then my cc billing address won't match and it probab;y won't work.

am using for wifi now and it's magic ... really amazing device but probably a luxury more than a necessity for anyone with a laptop.
retzie

Post by retzie »

^ Mebbe worth a shot with the 00000 zip code anyway (that is all they check, not the actual address - I've been told it works :dontknow: ) Failing that, could always pick up a visa gift card if you don't feel like waiting. (Btw, people should do this generally if they want to order from sites that only accept US issue cards :trick: )
deviant wrote:I'm some sort of man-machine.
nic

Post by nic »

well i take back ipads being totally ghey. got one at work today, screen is so vivid and bright and zomg battery life and like a massive iphone.
kind of want to get one for wathcing tv on and email etc on. dont think id use it in public tbh but around home it would pretty much replace my brand new laptop for alot of the time im using it except for the odd bit of illustrationl and 3d stuff.
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

You've changed...
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

nic wrote:well i take back ipads being totally ghey. got one at work today, screen is so vivid and bright and zomg battery life and like a massive iphone.
kind of want to get one for wathcing tv on and email etc on. dont think id use it in public tbh but around home it would pretty much replace my brand new laptop for alot of the time im using it except for the odd bit of illustrationl and 3d stuff.
jesus shit you are a hipster
myspace / too much! / photos (flickr) / photos (tumblr)
aroes wrote:promising, but lost me at offensive mid range snarl
deviant

Post by deviant »

I saw him wearing a flannie and skinny pants the other day too
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

skinny TROUSERS bruv
deviant

Post by deviant »

A skinny trouser sir?
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Apparently skinny jeans make you rape proof

:|
deviant

Post by deviant »

why can't you get the iPad on a plan/contract like a phone? seams like a logical step :?

so buy outright, then choose plan is the only way.....
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Charlie73
Location: Somewhere between South @ North.... Melbourne that is

Post by Charlie73 »

i just will never buy one of these...

I actually like the feel and smell of books and the newspaper etc.... That will never be replaced for me never ever....

I mean damn my mobile is at least 7 years old and will not be replaced till it literally cannot take or make calls anymore
deviant

Post by deviant »

GTFO :arrow:
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

deviant wrote:GTFO :arrow:
trendoid
Amick

Post by Amick »

Jon Stewart - I use my iPad to freak my kids out when I pretend to use it as an iPhone so it looks like i've shrunk.

:lol:

props to my housemate for that one
Last edited by Amick on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviant

Post by deviant »

fooishbar wrote:
deviant wrote:GTFO :arrow:
trendoid
nah, I'm not gunna buy one either.... :P
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

...................................................................................................................................................
no more epilepsy raptor jesus
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Apparently we are getting one in the office for "testing" purposes...
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

i played with a jailbroken one yesterday and it was awesome. he had some app that could access all his media files over wifi and he could watch them on the ipad anywhere in the house. also messed around with that korg electribe app and that was fun. pretty rad. probably won't buy one but i do like them. car games are awesome on it too!
...................................................................................................................................................
apophenian

Post by apophenian »

Office ipad has arrived. So far it's nice!
youthful_implants

Post by youthful_implants »

haha that is great! :retzielikes: :retzielikes:
Strontium Music

SOUNDCLOUD | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

so I played with one today.

as I want to use it for writing on the go primarily, the deciding factor for me so far is, no office/word type programs!

get it together Apple. just get in bed with microsoft for office and then kick her out in the morning like the whore she is.
system
let the hustlers play

Post by system »

ghetto kitty wrote:as I want to use it for writing on the go primarily, the deciding factor for me so far is, no office/word type programs!
both notes and iwork would cover that. notes is on the ipad by default, iwork you will have to buy.
DRS wrote:It’s uplifting while we drift through time,
‘cause we keep pushing the vibe.
ADD_Boy
like a tiger

Post by ADD_Boy »

quickoffice kitty. can do excell and word editing etc...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hmmmmmmm will check it out, thanks guys!
deviant

Post by deviant »

this looks usful for me... (and possibly you GK)

http://www.myguestlist.com.au/ipad/
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hmm very interesting...

could be good for clubnights yes, not sure if I would give my ipad to the randoms who run the door though, but could be good for our regualr nights...
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

both my boss and I bought one each for ourselves today.

excited! will report back.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

so since getting one, and spending 2 days syncing and transferring everything, its the first time in many years of being a devoted mac head that I now wish to hold Jobs down and demand some answers.

flash - sort it out dude. invite adobe to dinner and make nice. not being able to show others my own website on the fucker is the biggest downfall of it for me.

file storage - yes yes, i know i can transfer my crap wirelessly, great, but what about a nice storage system for my files when they are ON THE GO which is what i bought it for? Pages is nice, the storage system inside pages is fucking crap, no folders, just 800 word docs. um, fail. have bought 3 programs that all seem to fail. file app - stores but you cant open them in pages. file browser, bought but need to sync still, and unsure if it will let me open in pages.

mulitasking - needs to happen, ala iphone OS4. apparently it will soon.

the good >

photos - i take a LOT of photos, and they are the main reference for me when showing others the work I do...
the ipad is hands down the BEST device ive ever seen to store, display, fuck with and show photos to people. larger than life. so so good. makes your pics truly come to life, way better than viewing on regular pooter imo.

writing - so while im finding the storage of my files tricky, for writing the ipad is awesome! this is the main reason i got one as I like to write lots on the go and find that typing is now better for me than dog eared journals.
i am currently writing at least a page a day, find it nice to type on, and love that its as portable as said journals.

games - i pretty much hate games, on pooters, of every kind. NOT ON THE IPAD! srsly, fun! dual player fruit ninja and angry birds voted best by everyone in my house.

so in short, yes its sex and its pretty and its great for a lot of things. i can take my photos and words with me and do stuff with them, which is what i wanted. emails are also 10 times easier and nicer to do than on iphone.
but im glad i also has a real pooter, this is NOT a pooter replacement.

call me a hipster all you want, but i tried buying a netbook for on the go writing and sold it within a week. Mac forever, even if I need to tie Jobs up and whip him till i have some answers.
SDF1

Post by SDF1 »

Interesting Bo. I was wondering how file management would go on it. Suspected it may be a frustrating affair.

Really doubt the adobe thing will ever get sorted, isn't it mostly driven by Jobs hatred of Flash? I'm sure adobe would be elated to have support on iOS. But iOS supporting Flash would guarantee a whole swag of cross platform development, seemingly a no-no for apple.

No trolling, but Android phones handle flash fine, so I think that most of the arguments around usability, CPU load, battery drain are moot. And unfortunately HTML5 (that ole chestnut) is still a long way off being a proper flash replacement.

So you hate all games always except on the iPad? Whats the deal-maker/deal breaker? Easy to understand controls or more appealing content, less pimply nerd styles looking at a touch screen over mouse n keyboard? Or some other magical factor? A few ppl have said just what you said so I ask out of curiosity.
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

hi steve.

yes, so far the file management is the most annoying thing of its usability. im sure ill find a loophole though! or maybe jsut a new way to use my documents etc

yes, its mostly driven by his hatred of flash, but flash is the oldest and still the prettiest from of web design in my mind.
i know they want to control everything mac, but really, its pretty ridiculous! my site could be remade in HTML but it will lose lots of its appeal.

for me with games, its about the touchpad really. such a nice way to move/play things and the HD screen just makes it all the more appealing. still looking for a good driving game, there doesnt seem to be too many out yet...
deviant

Post by deviant »

touchgrind is HEAPS better on iPad.... totally rad game.

doesn't ibooks allow you to save and use files?
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

um, does it?

i has ibooks and kindle and so far, cant find anything free i wanna read, and dont want to buy a 400 page novel.
andy_hoffman

Post by andy_hoffman »

ibooks lets you save pdfs into your "ibookshelf"
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah, saving files isnt the issue, saving them somewhere in a concise manner where i can then open them in pages is the issue.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

ghetto kitty wrote:flash - sort it out dude. invite adobe to dinner and make nice. not being able to show others my own website on the fucker is the biggest downfall of it for me.
it's not even that, it's just that flash is disgracefully shit. it rinses the cpu and make the whole device look like crap, eats memory, and then crashes. at one page we put a flash video on and left a phone connected to the charger ... it ran out of battery in about half an hour or so, despite being ON THE CHARGER. so adobe have a lot of shit to be fixing first.

it does still kind of function on android and nokia phones, but only just. barely. also i have to agree with him on the more general point - hate hate hate hate hate hate hate flash websites. i don't care about your stupid fucking intro, i just want to look at your page. i want to be able to search your page, first through google and then in my browser. i want to be able to bookmark shit and send it to people too, which makes the whole stupid fucking intro thing even worse.

also, it was fun for a while, but if i have to click on another fucking rubber chicken to see a menu or whatever again, someone's going to get falconpunched. if restaurant menus were as obnoxious in real life as all their website equivalents, i'd never eat out.

oh, and i want to listen to my own music. not yours. especially not on autoplay.

end rant ... i blame the hangover.
ghetto kitty wrote:call me a hipster all you want, but i tried buying a netbook for on the go writing and sold it within a week. Mac forever, even if I need to tie Jobs up and whip him till i have some answers.
hipster!
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

well fuck. :lol:

okay then. agree with some points for sure, but do you think my site is that annoying and bad to navigate etc?

im just being selfish, i wouldnt give a shit if there was no flash if i didnt have a site i have done twice over the last five years to get it how it is, thats all.
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

it could be heaps worse. some parts of it are a bit irritating (go to events or media, click back, arrive back at the cat you have to click on to get to the main page, then try to remember where you were and get there), but i guess if your main focus is selling art then it's a bit different. if you're selling furniture or are a restaurant then you have no excuse at all.

:kidsthesedaysandtheirflashirememberhtml3allwehadwastablesbutwemadedo:
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

yeah i get that the click back is annoying.

but tbh, im not trying to sell art, im selling ideas ;)
nothing on the site is for sale, its all just a record of work I've done and art I've made.
I guess for that reason i dont mind if the information takes a bit of exploring to get to, interacting with it is part of the ethos really, as is my writing being the section labels, etc.

but yeh, its sad when you cant see anything on your sexy new hipster toy.

:(
fooishbar

Post by fooishbar »

i guess it depends what you're after and the site. if it's a site where people come to get specific bits of information and that's about it, then flash is criminal. but i guess if it's all about the vibe/ethos/ambiance, then go nuts.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

ghetto kitty wrote: flash is the oldest and still the prettiest from of web design in my mind.
Huh?
Don't hate me for house
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

fooishbar wrote: but i guess if it's all about the vibe/ethos/ambiance, then go nuts.
yeah thats it! i mean, the main thing i still get interviewed for etc is the bondage babies, and if they were in a simple format i think they would look kinda naff heheh

jammmes - forget i said that. was just something the mac guy said to me. you guys know more about all this shit than me.
i just want my crap to work on all these new devices is all.

so foo - what would you do, if you were me? pay for a HTML version to sit alongside mine? or just leave it as is?
deviant

Post by deviant »

flash sux... I hate that I need to install a plugin just to use it.... beatport is the only flash-only site I use, and tbh they have done a stella job of making non-annoying, but most other flash only sites give me the shits too.
JAMESSSS

Post by JAMESSSS »

There is no reason Beatport couldn't be standard HTML (apart from the actual player component) as far as I can tell though? It even looks like ExtJS / jQuery really.
Don't hate me for house
deviant

Post by deviant »

you can't right click and use normal browser options like "copy link" "open in new window" etc etc... shits me a bit
huge
old boy

Post by huge »

can't stand flash. you can do some pretty amazing things these days without having to resort to an entirely flash website.
http://www.thelittlemule.com - tredleys and caffeine
http://www.dubstep.com.au - aussie dubstep forums
ghetto kitty

Post by ghetto kitty »

okay, everyone hates it. roger that.

so what would you guys do if you had a site like mine?